Post-Game Talk: Pain - CHI 6 EDM 4 - CHI leads series 1-0

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well that was garbage. My concern about us getting outplayed 5 v 5 came to fruition big time. Hopefully Jones is healthy and can replace Russell. Also didnt think much of Klefboms game today. Too bad Bouch and Broberg arent ready yet.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Well that was garbage. My concern about us getting outplayed 5 v 5 came to fruition big time. Hopefully Jones is healthy and can replace Russell. Also didnt think much of Klefboms game today. Too bad Bouch and Broberg arent ready yet.

I do prefer Jones, but Russell certainly wasn't the problem and actually had a solid game. Klefbom and Larsson have to bounce back if we want to go far.

Reactions: Aerchon

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Didn't expect it to happen, but I started swiching to the FLA - NYI game during the 2nd period, was certainly more entertaining than this one. Hope they take a thing or two from this one (Tippett going with Smith.......) and play a much more focused game 2..

space321

May 11, 2011
Hiring a good coach
Reversing the JP situation
Trading Lucic
Improving the goaltending situation
Handling Yamamoto properly for his development
Not being Chia
etc.

Why are all these things being credited to Holland?

Tippett a good coach? Jury's still out on that one.

JP situation? Anyone who's not an idiot could probably talk to JP, plus it's not like JP is some 50 point winger that we desparately need, he's a disgruntled prospect that we own the rights to for years.

Trading Lucic, for an almost equally bad contract in Neal, and gave up a pick.

Improving goaltending... have you watched Mike Smith play?

Handling Yamamoto properly - sending him down to the minors is "magic" now? Yamamoto deserves most of the credit on this one, he worked on his own game.

Not being Chia - this is probably the most "magic" he's worked so far.

How about the Kassian contract, the AA trade, the Green trade, etc.?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

JP situation? Anyone who's not an idiot could probably talk to JP, plus it's not like JP is some 50 point winger that we desparately need, he's a disgruntled prospect that we own the rights to for years.

Handling Yamamoto properly - sending him down to the minors is "magic" now? Yamamoto deserves most of the credit on this one, he worked on his own game.

So it looks like you'll just create an excuse to hate on Holland for everything he does.

Reactions: TB12

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I'm sure it's been said, but Tippett's nonsense "we started 5-0 with Smitty" is so infuriating. They started 5-1. Koskinen was 4-0, Smith 1-1. W...T...F.

Reactions: Aerchon

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It'll be curious to see how the team bounces back.

Rewatching the highlights, there was a massive lack of polish on the Oilers end, and Chicago had a perfect approach to counter: pressure from a defensive set-up, let the Oil make a mistake, jump on it, and immediately look to get the puck on net.

When they (CHI) had the puck I didn't see a lot of dicking around with it. Lots of quick, safe, and simple plays in their own end on the breakout (that the Oilers couldn't generate turnovers on), and get it to the net ASAP in the offensive zone. On any of their goals, did the Hawks have control of the puck for more than 5 seconds? I don't think so.

It also didn't help that Oilers' gap control and forecheck didn't really force the issue either.

When the Oil controlled the puck however, I feel like they tried to chain passes together, and their rust just shone through as they tried to set things up. With a little pressure, Chicago was consistently there to jump on loose pucks.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
It'll be curious to see how the team bounces back.

Rewatching the highlights, there was a massive lack of polish on the Oilers end, and Chicago had a perfect approach to counter: pressure from a defensive set-up, let the Oil make a mistake, jump on it, and immediately look to get the puck on net.

When they (CHI) had the puck I didn't see a lot of dicking around with it. Lots of quick, safe, and simple plays in their own end on the breakout (that the Oilers couldn't generate turnovers on), and get it to the net ASAP in the offensive zone. On any of their goals, did the Hawks have control of the puck for more than 5 seconds? I don't think so.

It also didn't help that Oilers' gap control and forecheck didn't really force the issue either.

When the Oil controlled the puck however, I feel like they tried to chain passes together, and their rust just shone through as they tried to set things up. With a little pressure, Chicago was consistently there to jump on loose pucks.

Yep.

CHI played a simple playoff hockey game offensively. Defensively they were tight the whole game. They made zone entries difficult and from my eyes neutralized the dump ins. CHI did a decent job countering EDM cycle game.

Oilers played a kind of "high skill powerplay" offensive style almost the whole game: Carrying pucks UP the wall, attempting complex passing sequences &/or long passes in the O-zone, passing instead of shooting from the slot, etc.

More on the emotional side: I'd like to see McDavid be more selfish, attempt more zone entries, and attempt more shots. We're all Kosko fans rn amirite? Damn I'm jealous of FLA and MON having those tendies. Smith didn't single-handedly lose the game, but he was not a positive difference maker in the first (to put it nicely).

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Let's look at positives.
Oilers played like crap and we still scored 4 goals. I'm not worried yet.
Oilers will win game 2 as long as they bring a tad more effort for the next game.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers are 7-3 this season when I make the GDT. Give me the ball and let me run.

56D8745B-55ED-4645-8756-5B85DBD7CC63.gif

Reactions: Markham30

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actually, the team was a hot mess around Christmas. Once Yamamoto was called up around Christmas and allowed the two stars to drive their own lines, the team dynamic completely changed. It saved the season.

I do agree that Tippett was able to assign specific roles to depth players which allowed them to contribute even while not scoring (the PK namely) but I think the vast majority of improvement this season can be chalked up to pure luck with Bear and Yamamoto's emergence. Without those two, this team is just as bad as last year IMO.

Also, the team was lacking purpose and identity headed into the pause ever since the trade deadline. The AA and Ennis additions actually disrupted team chemistry then Tippett inexplicably split up arguably the best line in hockey and you have the mess we saw headed into the pause and again today. The signs of team collapse were there well before the pause hit.

Agreed with the bolded especially but mainly due to it just contributes to how much of the lineup is new. People think its no big thing losing a Gagner, solid team guy, a known predictable element, nad bringing in an unknown, a player with attitudinal issues. people think that doesn't matter? Its exactly the type of thing that erodes sense of team. Players that don't bring it imo are cancers to team identity. I look at guys like Kassian, Khaira, AA, and wonder how much thier non contributions impact the solidity of a team. How many passengers can a team have and still have a work identity. Its what Tippet has been successful with is getting the most out of players further to a team identity and system. But some punters are hard, if not impossible to motivate. Pulju was certainly one of those as well.

This isnt a team because not everybody buys in. Kassian to me has always been a village idiot. Will play well for weeks and then the rest of the time you wish he was an opponent. Getting to the point again that I just can't stand the guy.

Zach to me is a circus. He just plays to fans knee jerk reactions. Take out the Tkachuk, everybody loves it but in my mind that doesn't help the club, it was circus shit, Kass didn't even hurt Ratboy and he got a suspension for it. I want a player, not a guy that tries to get buy on such artifice while not getting his shifts done on the ice. Kass seems more interested in tricking fan favor than working for it, jmo.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don’t understand why Tippett broke up the DRY line. Makes no sense to me at all. We had one of the best lines in the league and he can’t see that? He continues to gift Khaira and Benning a spot in the lineup and it was obvious Smith should have got the hook long before the mid point of the game. Tippett got schooled yesterday, I put this loss on the coach

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Lol look who liked your post. You 3 are hilariously predictable.

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Yeah. Klef picked a bad time to lay an egg.

Seemed like that pairing spent pretty much 95% of their ice time getting freely cycled on in their own end.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

So it looks like you'll just create an excuse to hate on Holland for everything he does.

These are easy arguments for both sides. But those hero worshiping Holland despite many seemingly poor decisions is baffling to me.

If we don't get out of the play ins Holland's super human stature is bunked. It will be a massive failure.

Especially with his very questionable moves a failed season this year. A Nurse walked to UFA ala Petry. A James Neal contract. Long term retention on Lucic and Sekera. Overpaying Kassian. Overpaying for AA and Green. Missing out on Zegras. Hiring a very old minded coach who just sticks with old. The overpriced Smith.

There is just so much currently going wrong. Has gone wrong. Will most likely go wrong. For anyone to objectionally think Holland is or will be a great GM for us.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Let's look at positives.
Oilers played like crap and we still scored 4 goals. I'm not worried yet.
Oilers will win game 2 as long as they bring a tad more effort for the next game.

2 0f the goals were garbage time in what was a 6-2 game with minutes left and the only reason they occurred is Chicago backing off.

The Oilers let in 6 goals and it could have been 10. They got scored on 4 times in the first period. They gave up 45 shots.

I'd be a bit concerned.

Taking positives from that pile of rubbish performance is shining donkey turds.

I mean its kind of funny that you start with "lets look at positives" and can only think of one..;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would bench the sweet hell out of him. You grow the f***ing chops back and then you're an NHL goalscoring superstar? GTFO
Kass is a flat out poser. "Grow the chops" "jump on a harley" "punch a Tkachuk" This guy plays to fans easy sentiments more than he plays on ice. He's a pretender most of the time posturing, making throat gestures, picking numbers. He's almost as bad a clown than Lucic. That had we had two of these f***s on the same club is incredible. I mean I kept expecting to see us get an idiot like Zac Rinaldo so we could have the 3 stooges on ice. I have no idea what attracts people to pos players like this but I'm done, again, with Kass.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
2 0f the goals were garbage time in what was a 6-2 game with minutes left and the only reason they occurred is Chicago backing off.

The Oilers let in 6 goals and it could have been 10. They got scored on 4 times in the first period. They gave up 45 shots.

I'd be a bit concerned.

Taking positives from that pile of rubbish performance is shining donkey turds.

I mean its kind of funny that you start with "lets look at positives" and can only think of one..;)
At least we aren't Winnipeg and lost our #1 center and one of our best scoring wingers in the game....so that's a positive?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At least we aren't Winnipeg and lost our #1 center and one of our best scoring wingers in the game....so that's a positive?

Yeah. I realize its only 1 game but f***. Throw us a crumb out here. No hockey, hardly any sports for months and first real game back and we get that garbage. Like a fool I thought the Oilers were better than this, had learned their lessons. my bad.

A team that is crushed by 1 bad goal and goes onto have a complete disaster first period is not a team. Not resilient anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00