Post-Game Talk: Pain - CHI 6 EDM 4 - CHI leads series 1-0

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I dont know if it was the early game or what, but they sleep skating true 2 periods! Chicago wasnt flying out there, it was Oilers who didnt seem wake. The defense looked disoriented, even McD need speed, now he dumped pucks instead.

I dont say that nepotism cost us the game, but it had been h ell alot closer with Koski in the net and over the hill Smith scares the h ell out of me, why shouldnt the team have the same feeling?

Im pretty sure we take this pre serie if they put in some effort and Smith stay off the ice.

Game 4-5 is a problem, do they rest Koski if we are up 2-1, or do they go for the serie win? Cant see Koski play btb games! So i expect Smith in game 4 or 5, probably game 4, but Smith has his good days too!

A deciding game could go either way its so many things outside skill who matters!

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I believe that all of the negative energy that's being created by some fans will continue to decimate the Oilers play. That's my take.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The PK concerns me. Didn't the coaching staff watch the Hawks exhibition game against St. Louis? It's all about feeding the puck to Kubalik so he can unleash his dangerous shot. Deploy the PK coverage like you would against Washington. Force them into Duncan Keith point shots all game. The 6th goal (3rd on the PP) did come from that option, and a review of the game tape for the season would show that's a rare occurrence.

You can't cover everyone, but at least make them go down to their 5th favorite option.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The PK concerns me. Didn't the coaching staff watch the Hawks exhibition game against St. Louis? It's all about feeding the puck to Kubalik so he can unleash his dangerous shot. Deploy the PK coverage like you would against Washington. Force them into Duncan Keith point shots all game. The 6th goal (3rd on the PP) did come from that option, and a review of the game tape for the season would show that's a rare occurrence.

You can't cover everyone, but at least make them go down to their 5th favorite option.
I'm not too concerned on the PK specifically. Our entire defensive game was pure garbage so it makes sense our PK would follow.

They need to spend today relearning all their defensive systems cause they sure as hell looked like they forgot them

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
This might just be the wake up call they needed as the just got embarrassed by CHI. If there is any silver lining we would still have the 12.5% solution.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
f***. I just lost a huge post due to these f***ing advertisements everywhere.

anyway, @CycloneSweep, we're way better this season in xGoals on Hockeyviz, moneypuck and naturalstattrick.

Corsi sucks. Use xGoals.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
f***. I just lost a huge post due to these f***ing advertisements everywhere.

anyway, @CycloneSweep, we're way better this season in xGoals on Hockeyviz, moneypuck and naturalstattrick.

Corsi sucks. Use xGoals.
Our xGF% this year is 48.51 which is 22 in the league. Last year 47.63 which was good for 23rd. So by that metric we moved up one position in the league, still a bottom 10 team.

Last year xGF/60 2.16 xGA/60 2.38
This year xGF/60 2.23 xGA/60 2.36

So improved but in the grand scheme of things other teams improved too and we are only one spot better. We moved from 23rd to 22nd.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Let's look at positives.
Oilers played like crap and we still scored 4 goals. I'm not worried yet.
Oilers will win game 2 as long as they bring a tad more effort for the next game.

The problem is there’s really no room for error in a 5 game series. Suddenly, we are at the mercy of luck. We can now outplay Chicago in game, get a couple of bad bounces, and the series is over. No one comes back from 0-2 in a 5 game series.

It’s time for the boys to play like there’s no room for error. Drai has to make his own luck and have a 6 point game or something. Can’t aim to win, must aim to crush.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The problem is there’s really no room for error in a 5 game series. Suddenly, we are at the mercy of luck. We can now outplay Chicago in game, get a couple of bad bounces, and the series is over. No one comes back from 0-2 in a 5 game series.

It’s time for the boys to play like there’s no room for error. Drai has to make his own luck and have a 6 point game or something. Can’t aim to win, must aim to crush.

In the modern era it would be better to look at the stats of teams being down 1-2 in recent best-of-7 series to compare 0-1 in this best-of-5 qualifying round. As someone else posted out earlier, those '80s series often had huge point disparities between teams because 16 of 21 teams made it to the playoffs.

Reactions: StupidGenius

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
In the modern era it would be better to look at the stats of teams being down 1-2 in recent best-of-7 series to compare 0-1 in this best-of-5 qualifying round. As someone else posted out earlier, those '80s series often had huge point disparities between teams because 16 of 21 teams made it to the playoffs.

Oilers swept the Habs in ‘82 despite a ~50ish point disparity. Can’t be giving games away in a 5 game series. Bad mojo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good news last night - no one sighted on High Level bridge deck right after the game finished. However, if they lose the 2nd game as well, the city might do well to post guards at each end.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Our xGF% this year is 48.51 which is 22 in the league. Last year 47.63 which was good for 23rd. So by that metric we moved up one position in the league, still a bottom 10 team.

Last year xGF/60 2.16 xGA/60 2.38
This year xGF/60 2.23 xGA/60 2.36

So improved but in the grand scheme of things other teams improved too and we are only one spot better. We moved from 23rd to 22nd.
even if the position climb is negligible in this instance, the percentage climb is significant and indicates improvement.

xGoals don't account for how good a shooter is either, and our top scorers significantly outperform the average shooter.

hockeyviz
19-20: +2.48/-2.61 for -.13
18-19: +2.41/-2.66 for -.25

moneypuck
19-20: 48.89%
18-19: 47.40%

bonus stat is high danger Corsi For
19-20: 49.55%
18-19: 46.54%

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
even if the position climb is negligible in this instance, the percentage climb is significant and indicates improvement.

xGoals don't account for how good a shooter is either, and our top scorers significantly outperform the average shooter.

hockeyviz
19-20: +2.48/-2.61 for -.13
18-19: +2.41/-2.66 for -.25

moneypuck
19-20: 48.89%
18-19: 47.40%

bonus stat is high danger Corsi For
19-20: 49.55%
18-19: 46.54%
Outside of high danger it's such a small change.

Either way we are still terrible defensively like last year with an okay improvement offensively, but still not a bunch. We are still shit team 5v5 and we need substantial improvement in a hurry.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Outside of high danger it's such a small change.

Either way we are still terrible defensively like last year with an okay improvement offensively, but still not a bunch. We are still shit team 5v5 and we need substantial improvement in a hurry.
Sure. I'm just not willing to have people accept your narrative that we've made little to no improvement.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure. I'm just not willing to have people accept your narrative that we've made little to no improvement.
We made a minor improvement. When our overall placement in the league is one spot changed its not a good improvement. But yes we did make a small improvement offensively while staying the same defensively

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I believe that all of the negative energy that's being created by some fans will continue to decimate the Oilers play. That's my take.

McDavid in the morning just feeling all those negative Oilers fan waves in the aether.

22b85cdf-af16-4431-8755-ec16dff2cf3e-gif.679308

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed with the bolded especially but mainly due to it just contributes to how much of the lineup is new. People think its no big thing losing a Gagner, solid team guy, a known predictable element, nad bringing in an unknown, a player with attitudinal issues. people think that doesn't matter? Its exactly the type of thing that erodes sense of team. Players that don't bring it imo are cancers to team identity. I look at guys like Kassian, Khaira, AA, and wonder how much thier non contributions impact the solidity of a team. How many passengers can a team have and still have a work identity. Its what Tippet has been successful with is getting the most out of players further to a team identity and system. But some punters are hard, if not impossible to motivate. Pulju was certainly one of those as well.

This isnt a team because not everybody buys in. Kassian to me has always been a village idiot. Will play well for weeks and then the rest of the time you wish he was an opponent. Getting to the point again that I just can't stand the guy.

Zach to me is a circus. He just plays to fans knee jerk reactions. Take out the Tkachuk, everybody loves it but in my mind that doesn't help the club, it was circus shit, Kass didn't even hurt Ratboy and he got a suspension for it. I want a player, not a guy that tries to get buy on such artifice while not getting his shifts done on the ice. Kass seems more interested in tricking fan favor than working for it, jmo.

I'm wondering if the Oilers would have been better off standing pat at the deadline and keeping the two 2nds, 4th and 5th. The team was humming along pretty well prior to the deadline and guys like Gagner, Haas and Nygard were playing their roles well and in Gagner's case, was a real glue guy that seemed to energize the group. Ever since the deadline, the Oilers have clearly lacked the "juice" that Tippett so often mentioned earlier in the season when they were playing well. It's a flat group that hasn't yet gotten off the mat.

Honestly, Ennis, AA and Green have brought nothing to the table that Haas, Nygard and Gagner didn't outside of little spurts from Ennis here and there (although the Green situation was out of Holland's control) and team play has been noticeably worse with the new additions.
In fairness, it's still a pretty small sample size (10 games or so) and I admire Holland for attempting to give a boost to the group going into the playoffs but in early returns, it's looking like a failed experiment (the AA trade in particular).

Last edited:

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I'm wondering if the Oilers would have been better off standing pat at the deadline and keep the two 2nds, 4th and 5th. The team was humming along pretty well prior to the deadline and guys like Gagner, Haas and Nygard were playing their roles well and in Gagner's case, was a real glue guy that seemed to energize the group. Ever since the deadline, the Oilers have clearly lacked the "juice" that Tippett so often mentioned earlier in the season when they were playing well. It's a flat group that hasn't yet gotten off the mat.

Honestly, Ennis, AA and Green have brought nothing to the table that Haas, Nygard and Gagner didn't outside of little spurts from Ennis here and there (although the Green situation was out of Holland's control) and team play has been noticeably worse with the new additions.
In fairness, it's still a pretty small sample size (10 games or so) and I admire Holland for attempting to give a boost to the group going into the playoffs but in early returns, it's looking like a failed experiment (the AA trade in particular).

The good part is we should be able to re sign AA for cheaper than he might have commanded before, so maybe his contract might turn into a steal if we can get him to get some chemistry with a line.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm wondering if the Oilers would have been better off standing pat at the deadline and keep the two 2nds, 4th and 5th. The team was humming along pretty well prior to the deadline and guys like Gagner, Haas and Nygard were playing their roles well and in Gagner's case, was a real glue guy that seemed to energize the group. Ever since the deadline, the Oilers have clearly lacked the "juice" that Tippett so often mentioned earlier in the season when they were playing well. It's a flat group that hasn't yet gotten off the mat.

If its and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a jolly fine Christmas.

This team lost game 1 because its best players were exposed defensively and slipped back into bad habits and would up chasing the game. The aggressive veteran goalie slipped on a banana peel and killed early momentum. The trade deadline was a reward for an over achieving team with holes and still lacking in team speed. Holland dealt for players he knew deeply qualifying some of the risk and betting on this team which was responsive all year to a veteran coaching staff. In game 1, Chicago's Cup winning veteran core, Toews; Crawford; Keith; Kane elevated their team with smart, technically sound and aggressive play that frankly exposed McDavid; Klefbom and Larssen; aided and abetted by a mediocre turn by Smith in net.

The Oiler culture is set by McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse and likely Smith. Contrasted to Chicago's leadership group it is inexperienced, still forming, learning and growing. It is unfortunate the new guys haven't come in and established themselves with this team's success. But I have no illusion that nice guy Sam, Haas and Nygard would have the ability to move the needle let alone when the top players were outgunned in game 1. Projecting how players like Kassian and others are perceived by their teammates and coaching staff is pure fandom stuff mainly reflecting one's subjective bias. Tippett and his coaching staff have been great at molding and unifying a disperate group of players to start the season into a developing team with some resiliency. We'll learn a lot about how far this group has come in game 2. But we'll learn most by seeing how the team's best players respond to playoff adversity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->