Post-Game Talk: Pain - CHI 6 EDM 4 - CHI leads series 1-0

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I believe way back in the early 2000's when New Jersey won the cup that they had the worst power play in the NHL.

Power play is important during the season and during the playoffs 5 on 5 becomes more important.

That actually isn't true, it's a widely held misconception that penalties are called a lot less in that playoffs. Gregor did an article on it a little bit ago. Pretty much the same number of penalties get called, at least from the numbers he posted in his article.

Reactions: Oilhawks

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
That actually isn't true, it's a widely held misconception that penalties are called a lot less in that playoffs. Gregor did an article on it a little bit ago. Pretty much the same number of penalties get called, at least from the numbers he posted in his article.

Okay, that is good to hear!

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to Nurse's face? He's got these weird blothes or marks on his face and it looked like he lost all his hair (maybe shaved it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the marks on his face). Or maybe it's not new but I just kinda noticed recently?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was just wondering how much better we were this year outside of special teams

Last Year vs This Year

CF%: 47.98 / 47.87
Shots For%: 47.59 / 48.31
Goals for60: 2.17 / 2.44
Goals Against 60: 2.65 / 2.72

So possession wise we didn't improve. We improved a bit offensively. But somehow got worse defensively.

Holland improved the team but the only real improvement was special teams.

There is a lot more to being a good GM than "year 1 results". How you handle the cap. How you develop players. The trades you make, and don't make. Etc etc.

If you can't see the lucic trade as a win, I don't know what to tell you. Same goes for the pulj situation. Same goes for keeping his powder dry and not signing anybody to crazy long term deals last summer in a desperate move to fix our winger situation. Leaving bouchard in the ahl, pushing broberg back to Sweden this year. All of these are good things that the GM can do, and none of them will be reflected in those year 1 stats you looked at.

Reactions: Dempsey

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to Nurse's face? He's got these weird blothes or marks on his face and it looked like he lost all his hair (maybe shaved it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the marks on his face).
Probably the same thing that happened to mj.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is a lot more to being a good GM than "year 1 results". How you handle the cap. How you develop players. The trades you make, and don't make. Etc etc.

If you can't see the lucic trade as a win, I don't know what to tell you. Same goes for the pulj situation. Same goes for keeping his powder dry and not signing anybody to crazy long term deals last summer in a desperate move to fix our winger situation. Leaving bouchard in the ahl, pushing broberg back to Sweden this year. All of these are good things that the GM can do, and none of them will be reflected in those year 1 stats you looked at.
I'm not saying he has done a bad job. Just saying that the team is only a little improved this year is all. Lucic going was great. The Pulju situation appears better but that's still up in the air. I've liked what he has done so far, but he still has a long way to go.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If you are an average 5v5 team with good special teams, great. If you are a shit 5v5 with great special teams, that ain't good. You are a bad team masquerading as a good team.
this was the epitome of the 2013-14 Patrick Roy coached avalanche team who won the division with 114 pts. they were a team BRUTALLY underwater 5v5 and were routinely outshot.

first place division team with a 110+ pt season and still had a collective CF% of 46 and giving up the sixth most shots against in the league

carried by a near 20% power play and .927 sv pct season from varlamov

they were knocked out in the first round

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Since the 2011-2012 season the team with the best PP in the league has won a total of 4 rounds and none of them has won more than a series.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was just wondering how much better we were this year outside of special teams

Last Year vs This Year

CF%: 47.98 / 47.87
Shots For%: 47.59 / 48.31
Goals for60: 2.17 / 2.44
Goals Against 60: 2.65 / 2.72

So possession wise we didn't improve. We improved a bit offensively. But somehow got worse defensively.

Holland improved the team but the only real improvement was special teams.
2.17 to 2.44 is a decent improvement.

You some how say we improved a bit offensively, while pointing out how we got worse defensively, I dont know if you understand but 2.65 is alot closer to 2.72 than the offensive numbers were.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
2.17 to 2.44 is a decent improvement.

You some how say we improved a bit offensively, while pointing out how we got worse defensively, I dont know if you understand but 2.65 is alot closer to 2.72 than the offensive numbers were.
We got a bit better offensively and did get worse defensively. Sorry I didn't throw the word "bit" before worse oh mighty master. Offensively we went like 24th in the league to I think like...17th and defensively went like 23rd to 27th.
So we went bottom 10 offensively to middle 10 and then stayed bottom 10 defensively.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to Nurse's face? He's got these weird blothes or marks on his face and it looked like he lost all his hair (maybe shaved it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the marks on his face). Or maybe it's not new but I just kinda noticed recently?

Looks like a skin/pigment issue but not sure. I didn’t notice it on him when he was younger at least to the same degree now, so not sure.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We got a bit better offensively and did get worse defensively. Sorry I didn't throw the word "bit" before worse oh mighty master. Offensively we went like 24th in the league to I think like...17th and defensively went like 23rd to 27th.
So we went bottom 10 offensively to middle 10 and then stayed bottom 10 defensively.
So you're saying they still improved 5on5 this year?

Thanks.

We all know how much you watch just to see the oilers fail.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
this was the epitome of the 2013-14 Patrick Roy coached avalanche team who won the division with 114 pts. they were a team BRUTALLY underwater 5v5 and were routinely outshot.

first place division team with a 110+ pt season and still had a collective CF% of 46 and giving up the sixth most shots against in the league

carried by a near 20% power play and .927 sv pct season from varlamov

they were knocked out in the first round

tenor.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Right, the oilers should stop trying to score on the powerplay so much.
Don't try to put words in my mouth, Al. The point is, special teams is all great but if you are bad 5v5 your special teams don't really mean much for a teams success outside of maybe the regular season.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You know you're a great fan when you're buddy-buddy with opposing teams fans in their criticism of your team.

Reactions: Cam98

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I believe way back in the early 2000's when New Jersey won the cup that they had the worst power play in the NHL.

Power play is important during the season and during the playoffs 5 on 5 becomes more important.

I'm not sure that's the argument I would make after a game with six powerplay goals scored haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad