Post-Game Talk: Pain - CHI 6 EDM 4 - CHI leads series 1-0

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yea and Smith was pretty ass game 2. Game 3 and 4 Kosk was great.

Right that was the Kings game. Quick was awful too,which was unusual for him against Edmonton.

Anyways, I like Smith and I don’t fault him for the loss today. But in a short 5 game series, Tippett can’t go back to him hoping for a bounce back game and the team plays better in front of him. He’s got to go with Koskinen.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Looks like a skin/pigment issue but not sure. I didn’t notice it on him when he was younger at least to the same degree now, so not sure.

Ya i think you're right. I just googled and it's called vitiligo. I think it's progressive usually, which makes sense.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Tippett opted to go with Smith, the 38-year-old veteran who’s playing for the coach with a third organization. Tippet said he went with Smith because he got started in the season opener and the Oilers then went on a 5-0 run. - The Athletic

For anyone still wondering why Tippet chose Smith over Kosko.

I just woke up and I'm still angry. I didn't expect such a butter soft effort after such a long break. Where's the fire? They all should take a moment and watch themselves in the mirror.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Doesn't mean much because it's such a small sample size, but 8 of the 10 teams that have played a game so far had more PP opportunities than they averaged per game in the regular season.

899110redarmy

Aug 1, 2020
Tippett opted to go with Smith, the 38-year-old veteran who’s playing for the coach with a third organization. Tippet said he went with Smith because he got started in the season opener and the Oilers then went on a 5-0 run. - The Athletic

For anyone still wondering why Tippet chose Smith over Kosko.

I just woke up and I'm still angry. I didn't expect such a butter soft effort after such a long break. Where's the fire? They all should take a moment and watch themselves in the mirror.

So thus guy opted for Smith based on what he did in ancient history at the START of the season?

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
That many power plays are usually not called that much. Most refs put their whistles away and let the players continue on playing.

Not sure that’s true anymore. There was an asston of penalties called during the games today.

NYR/CAR had 38 minutes of combined penalties with only one fight.

Seems like the refs are as eager to get involved as the players are.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Choosing Smith because of his record almost a year ago is just dumb.

Tippett annoyed me royally for game 1 but game 2 should differ.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
NKSoQ0Z.gif

Follow me.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My take:

Start Kosko next time, obviously.

McDavid was much better defensively than a lot of people gave him credit for. He was directly responsible for the Saad goal, turning it over behind the net. After that he played with more spark, and I noticed him back checking like crazy almost every shift. I'm not sure about his line at even strength, however. He played well himself, sparking a breakaway and a near goal for Nuge + Kassian. But there wasn't much chemistry going on. I'd move back to the Nuge - Drai - Yams line, and potentially move Neal up to the top line until Kassian regains his form.

The 2nd line was decent, not great. They had a few good cycle shifts, and a shotpass from Drai to Yams that was an inch away from going in. Like I said before, I'd switch Nuge and Ennis.

The 3rd and 4th lines were both underrated at 5v5 in my opinion. The Sheahan - Archibald - Athanasiou one didn't have much, but they did hit a post after an AA rush. He looked extremely fast btw, the D have to learn how to feed him on the rush. The Neal - Khaira - Chiasson line actually wasn't bad. Chiasson hit the post on a one-timer, and they had a few nice cycle shifts and some good physical play. Apart from scoring a goal, they did their jobs.

Nurse and Bear were much better than Klefbom and Larsson. Tippet seemed to recognize that and played them much more at ES. 19 ES mins for Bear, 21 for Nurse, and 15 for Klefbom. 2016-17 Klef - Larsson have to come back. Weirdly I actually thought Russell had a really good game. He joined the rush multiple times and actually contributed offensively.

The next game is a must-win. If we lose we're a game away from elimination, if we win it's all tied up.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Pretty good take.
I will say this -- not based on your post. McDavid is not perfect. No player is. BUT SIDNEY CROSBY HAD TEAMMATES THAT CARED ENOUGH TO TRY HARD AND SACRIFICE TO WIN THOSE CUPS. Any given night, the Oilers have either dynamic driven players or turds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad