Value of: Pageau to MTL

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Doxinoctae, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MelnykOut

MelnykOut Registered User

When the hell has Brassard been traded for a 3rd??

He's gotten traded for:
    -Gaborik
    -Zibanejad+2nd
    -Gustavsson+Cole+22nd overall
    -Bjugstad+McCann

Pageau probably holds 2nd+meh prospect value. Maybe a 1st from a top contender but I doubt it. More impactful than Brian Boyle and he keeps getting 2nds.

2. Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle wee & free

If you don't like the price, than target a different player and team. Ottawa has NO reason to give away Pageau, especially to a division rival.

Now shoo....

3. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    Realistically this is a terrible take. He is an elite 3rd line center. Try again.

MelnykOut likes this.
  4. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    Boyle just got traded for a 2nd. Try again.

First of all he is likely the next sens captain. So he isnt on the block, if you dont want to pay the price then thats fine. But saying he is worthless the way he has torched the habs is petty.

5. Habsrule

Habsrule Registered User

He is just not a good fit for Montreal. Domi, Kotkaniemi and Danault would be ahead of him on the depth chart. So he would only fit in on the fourth line. Problem is that it would be a very hefty price to pay for a fourth line center.

6. Doxinoctae

Doxinoctae Registered User

Habs can offer CBJ 2nd and an c prospect like McCarron would you bite to that?

7. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    While i dont think the value is bad he is worth more to the sens. The team defense and pk since he has got back has been night and day. He matches against the oppositions top lines with the sens young d they need the support. Dzingel, Duchene and Stone are all likely getting traded, the sens need NHL players. Id deal Tierney before Pageau personally perhaps Montreal has interest in him? Seems similar to Danault in alot of ways and habs fans are very high on him.

8. SenatorJoey

SenatorJoey Registered User

He is expensive I believe because Ottawa doesn't really want to get rid of him.

9. Doxinoctae

I'm pretty high on him because I see in him and Danault, what I was seeing of Juneau back in time !!

Those kind of 2way center are pretty much the new era ALL AROUND centerman that any team can wish for. So having the two best of them could spark some crazy thing here in MTL!!!

10. BabyPanda

BabyPanda Registered User

I'm not targetting him, the price listed was way off what he'd actually fetch even with Ottawa overcharging

11. branch

branch boomerang my twiggy

1st rounder plus. Or 2nd rounder plus a decent roster player.

12. BabyPanda

It was referring to the Reaves plus 4th trade, I'll admit though that I was exaggerating Reaves worth (lack of?) though.

Boyle getting a second is an overpayment but also is because Boyle has certain value unique to him. If don't agree with it but since GMs will overpay for a 6'6" character guy. Boyle has more value than pageau in the league even though we probably can both make good arguments that he shouldn't.

Pageau doesn't fetch a first. A contenders first is used to get Simmons, Zuccarello, Nyquist, Hayes, Coyle etc. A couple of those guys will need a solid prospect thrown in to get them but the moment Ottawa asks for a first for Pageau, the conversation ends and the others look elsewhere for other options that are far cheaper. The price would be far far far lower than a first. Every team overvalued their own players and can defend their worth but there's no way a team traded a first or even a second unless they think they are getting a impact player of which Pageau is not.

13. stempniaksen

stempniaksen Bunch of Jerks

Bare minimum you're looking at similar prices to what Eller and Shaw were dealt for (so two 2nds) and then factor in the fact you'd have to overpay to get the Senators to move him at this point and you'd probably have to tack on a prospect or two.

I don't even think it's worth getting into to figure out what it would cost to trade him in-division (to one of the teams biggest rivals) as that's obviously something Dorion/Melnyk would try and avoid at all costs.

14. Edgy

Edgy Registered User

People seriously asking for a 1st plus for a 3rd line center :facepalm:

If you get a 2nd plus a long shot kid, be happy.

15. stempniaksen

Andrew Shaw got two 2nds and has never outscored Pageau. 2nds are traded all the time for non-impact players.

16. stempniaksen

Or we could just keep him, which is a legitimate option for a player under contract.

17. branch

Ryan Reeves got a 1st. Just for French propaganda purposes, Pageau is worth at least a 1st from Montreal. He would be an instant fan favourite.

18. BabyPanda

Andrew Shaw got 2 seconds as a 23 year old coming from just winning a Stanley Cup, he was brought in because Montreal thought that they were one or two depth pieces away from being a contender and adding Stanley Cup pedigree would get it done.

I don't see the connection to Pageau, they don't seem comparables outside of numbers.

Aldo Montoya likes this.
  19. MelnykOut

He's valued pretty highly in Ottawa. Their GA/G was 3.88 without him, and 2.92 since he's been back. Not to say he's worth a full goal less per game, as Nilsson has played very well as of late, but they have been noticeably better defensively in the past month that Pageau has been back. He's the reason we have 4th liners (Smith and Paajarvi) currently playing like useful 3rd liners. Pretty good shutdown line because of JGP.

He's definitely worth more to us than he would probably fetch in a trade.

20. Doxinoctae

Wanna gamble Pageau then let's say that :

A conditional 1st 2019 from Habs if the Habs win SCF in 2019, Habs 2019 2nd if the team qualify for the playoff or a Habs 3rd 2019 if the team do not make the cut for the playoff!

+

Habs 2nd 2020

+

One of : McCarron, Michael, Hudon, Charles, Olofsson, Gustav

21. MelnykOut

I don't think he ever got traded for a 1st man.

He wasn't really traded for Reaves and a 4th, that was just to get Vegas to retain 2M on him from Ottawa. Pittsburgh technically paid Gustavsson, Cole, Reaves, a 1st and a 4th for Brassard. Ottawa and Vegas came out looking like bandits. At least the pens got something for him though.

I agree, I thought Reaves could have landed a bit more, but he wasn't that great in PIT.

22. branch

Pittsburgh Penguins acquireDateSt. Louis Blues acquire

[​IMG] Ryan Reaves
    2017 2nd round pick
    June 23, 2017
    Oskar Sundqvist
    2017 1st round pick
    [​IMG]

23. stempniaksen

I think 2nd + 2nd + Prospect would get it done under "normal circumstances", but as of now there are some hurdles to making that kind of move.

1) If Duchene leaves, I don't think the Senators would have any interest in moving Pageau. He would help insulate some of our young players (White and Brown mainly) as he would take on the tough matchups. And money would no longer be an issue, as we would need to keep him just to hit the floor.

2) The Senators (for better or for worse) have shown a hesitancy to deal within the division, and as such I think there ends up being a "tax" if the Habs trade for him. I think whatever they offer would need to be head and shoulders better than the next offer, and at that point is probably doesn't make sense to give up that kind of value for a 3rd liner (even one as good as JGP).

24. EquabaleAce

EquabaleAce Registered User

Student
    Jake Evans + a 3rd 19 becomes a 2nd 19 if the Habs make the semifinals

25. MelnykOut

Completely forgot about that trade, but the picks were 31st and 51st, take out Sundqvist and his value in that trade is about a late 2nd or a 3rd round pick. Definitely lost tons of value while in pittsburgh.