Value of: Pageau to MTL

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Doxinoctae, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Smokin Budaj

Smokin Budaj Registered User

good player but we have Domi,Danault and Kotkaniemi and Pageau is too good to play on the 4th line,we're better off finding a cheaper option

2. God Says No

God Says No Registered User

The market has been set by the Boyle trade. A fourth line C (a good one though) soon to be UFA, just went for a 2nd rounder. So the base is 2nd rounder.
    JGP has another year left after this. The price goes up.
    JGP is a good 3rd line C vs. the 4th line C that Boyle is. The price goes up.
    JGP is going to a hated rival. The price goes up.

Hence 2nd + Brook/Poehling

Now if he's traded to PIT for example. It's a second and a B level prospect most likely.

3. CapSpace

CapSpace Registered User

Lol you are ****ing delusional if you think Pageau gets you anywhere near Brook or Poehling, let along with a 2nd.

BabyPanda likes this.
  4. Doxinoctae

Doxinoctae Registered User

Wanna gamble Pageau then let's say that :

A conditional 1st 2019 from Habs if the Habs win SCF in 2019, Habs 2019 2nd if the team qualify for the playoff or a Habs 3rd 2019 if the team do not make the cut for the playoff!

+

Habs 2nd 2020

+

One of : McCarron, Michael, Hudon, Charles, Olofsson, Gustav

Okay let set on : CBJ 2019 2nd + Habs 2nd 2020 + Jake Evans for Jean-Gabriel Pageau + Senators 5th 2019

5. Doxinoctae

We also have the possibility to move Domi back to the wing!

6. Doxinoctae

Habs can have many combination with Pageau

Drouin Danault Gallagher
    Domi Pageau Tatar
    Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Armia
    Byron Peca Shaw/Weise

Drouin Danault Gallagher
    Tatar Domi Shaw
    Byron Pageau Weise/D-Lo

7. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    Boyle definitely doesnt have more value than Pageau. If you dont wanna pay or cant recorgnize his obvious value then move on to a new player you can tell the oppositions fan base all about. Its been repeated over and over again his value to the sens.

Pageau has absolutely been an impact player specifically in the playoffs, his two way game is elite you clearly arent familiar with the player. No im not over valuing you are just uninformed.

8. Burke the Legend

Burke the Legend Registered User

Doubt Bergevin offers more than a 2nd + B prospect. Doubt Ottawa accepts especially since they seem to really be averse to trading within the division.

9. Aldo Montoya

Aldo Montoya Registered User

I prefer option #2. Depth is key, and I have no interest in moving Domi back to wing.

Before I'd consider such a deal, I'd want to be sure that I could re-sign him and that I'd even want to at the 5 year $4.5M AAV he'd likely command.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:32 AM
  10. TopTenPlayz

TopTenPlayz Registered User

Way too much man. Mtl is nowhere close to be a contender unlike Nashville. Giving up two 2nd rounders for Pageau would be an even worse mistake than trading for Shaw. Shaw was and is a better player than Pageau. If you want a right handed 4th line center that bad, just call up Jake Evans. Let's see what the kid's got. Just be patient, the Habs are finally starting to build up a decent prospect pool. 2nd rounders are valuable. They got Brook, Romanov and Ylonen who are really interesting prospects in the 2nd round recently. The worst asset management is to overpay for average/depth players. If anything, give Poehling + Brook+ 1st + etc. for a legit star player, I wouldn't care; but absolutely not giving up two 2nd rounders for a player to play on your 4th line :nono:

11. Doxinoctae

a 4th who can play 18 minutes a game ;) !!

With

Drouin Danault Gallagher
    Tatar Domi Shaw
    Byron Pageau Weise

Yes all those four units can play between 15 to 18 minutes wich give you enough energy to play with more stamina, but yeah the old 4th disgrace call ... dude this is 1980 that i won't even consider to complain about!

This is surely an overpay but this help the habs to build the young core in the minor! Both Suzuki and Poehling going in Laval first will help them much than having to put the pressure to have them now. Upgrade by far our winning attempt in the faceoff circle.

Upgrade again our PK team.

Danault - Shaw
    Pageau - Byron
    Domi - Armia

he is also on a friendly cap contract for 2 years. So yeah I overpay for a skilled young-veteran foward like him!

12. BabyPanda

BabyPanda Registered User

Hold your horses there, I've never claimed Pageau idnt good but to call his two way game elite is quite humourous. Stone borderlines on elite in his two way game, I don't have him as elite due to elite being such a high standard but I understand that someone with a more loose definition than I would make the argument for him being elite two way player.

Pageau is no stone. Not in any way shape or form. Pageau and elite in no way belong close to each other.

Pageau has 35 playoff games to his name vs 111 for Boyle. Boyle is an experienced, respected veteran and is 6'6". These are things I feel are overrated but NHL GMs regularly tout as important. Their possession metrics are pretty comparable so it's not like anything about JGP is blowing Boyle out of the water.

I've watched enough of both players, I'd rather have Pageau at this point but Boyle holds more value to the league whether you think he does or not.

Dashboard_1 (12).PNG

13. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    If Stone borders on elite then who is elite? Where did I say Pageau was as good as Stone? You simply made that up.

Do you notice the 8 year difference in age? Ok good so there is a start as to why Pageau has significantly more value. If you actually think this isnt a factor in your valuation then you are simply wrong.

Pageau's play style is also more condusive to how the game in the NHL is being played. He has the ability to play in a top 6 role in the playoffs and produce he has done it on more than one occasion. He is a swiss army knife that can be your shut down matchup center or fit in with scoring wingers. Boyle has never played a top 6 role on a deep playoff run. If you think that Boyle has more trade value right now make a poll.

14. BabyPanda

You called Pageau elite, not I. I brought stone in because he actually is borderline elite. I'd consider Bergeron, Crosby, and Barkov elite, maybe a few others. Like I'd say elite is top handful of players in the league, a very small handful. I'm not disparaging Stone at all, I'm more giving him props but just no, Pagesu is far far far from elite. I never said you compared Pageau to Stone, just that you called Pageau's two way play elite which is a rediculous assertion to make.

Age means nothing to a contender, they aren't looking to develop guys. They want what the guy delivers now. If anything experience adds more value than age does.

Boyle has almost always played in the role that he's been brought to Nashville to play. That's the role that teams are looking to out a guy like Pageau in. A role that Boyle has played nearly his whole career in and has a history of playing quite well.

You don't give Boyle his props. There's nothing wrong with Pageau he just isn't a legit top 6er and there's so many better options on the market than him right now.

15. Hugo Sham

Hugo Sham My attitude stinks, my hockey bag is even worse

amazing powers of observation!

Doxinoctae likes this.
  16. bert

bert Registered User

Home Page:
    Well every advanced stat has Stone as being the most elite two way player this season outside of Bergeron. The eye test has matched it go ahead and look it up if you dont believe me.

Bolded argument is horrid, teams still value the asset and all it brings to the table. Pageau has had tremendous playoff success Boyle doesnt add anything in that measure. The statement you just made is completely false. Every asset has positives and negatives to suggest being younger by 8 seasons is not a positive is absurd.

Ill repeat myself for the 3rd time in this thread Pageau is not for sale, he is the last player the sens should be trading considering who they are about to lose. You all have such high opinions of Danault and Tierney has had a very similar season and is a very similar player if you want to trade for someone outside of the big 3 UFAs on the sens then make an offer for him.

The irony of all of this is Habs fans started this thread, for a player that has had tons of success against your favorite team. Then you all go on for 4 pages about why the player you started the thread about is no good. Its hilarious. Move on.

17. TT1

TT1 Registered User

yea im sure paying a 1st for Pageau is a better take :laugh: :laugh:

Pageau is a 3C on a non contender, a 4C on a contender. If you have Pageau as your 3C you're not going anywhere, it's as simple as that.

18. Aldo Montoya

Aldo Montoya Registered User

Well actually, ONE Habs fan started this thread. Other Habs fans don't like the idea. It happens.

We're not one hive mind.

Edgy likes this.
  19. stempniaksen

stempniaksen Registered User

Student
    You don't have any proof of that, so no, it's not "as simple as that". The Senators made it to within a goal of the cup finals with Pageau in the 3C spot and he's a guy who typically produces at a higher clip in the playoffs than the regular season.

He's obviously not some offensive dynamo, but he's also much better than a 4th liner. If he's a 4th line level player for the Habs, that's great news for them, but it doesn't diminish the player he is.

20. Edgy

Edgy Registered User

Might be you best bet if that's the ask. Like several people have said already, we have no need for him and we're not overpaying him to play on the 4th line nor are we willing to over pay for him.

No, he's not. Being a French 3rd liner doesn't make him more special than a non-French 3rd liner.

21. Tkachuckycheese

Tkachuckycheese Registered User

Filmmaker
    When the Sens went to the playoffs a few years ago Pageau simply destroyed Boston in their series. So I think you have no clue at all. He's a player that brings so much to the room and gives everything on the ice. Amazing in the PK and could play in the 2c role.

22. branch

branch boomerang my twiggy

Yeah he absolutely does. Pageau would have mythic status. He would be a unicorn, you and I both know that.

23. Edgy

Edgy Registered User

We already have a Unicorn, Drouin. Everyone knows you can't have more than one on the same team. They lose their allure.

24. BabyPanda

I'm not disparaging Stone, I'm giving him credit. He's quite close to elite.

Pageau hasn't had playoff success, he's made it to the ECF once.

Age doesn't matter, only how good the player is now.

Good thing he's not for sale, we don't want him either.

One fan wanted him, majority said no thank you. We responded to the rediculous notion that he's an elite two way player and worth a second and A- prospect

25. TT1

TT1 Registered User

i also clearly said that he's not the same player he was a few years ago, read my initial post