Proposal: Pacioretty for Brassard?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
how does that make sense... we want to get rid of pacioretty not because he's not good, because his age is a concern and doesn't fit us going foward.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Actually I did. You said (and I quote) "I don't think Pittsburgh goes through either Tampa, Caps or Leafs without adding to their line up." Going from Brassard to Patches doesn't change things. And no Pittsburgh isn't going to gut their prospect pool just to add Patches and Byron at a cost of Hagelin ++.

And if you actually spent anytime watching Pittsburgh down the stretch (after the TD) and in the POs this year, you'd realize that Brassard and Sheahan as the 3/4C is actually an issue where Pittsburgh doesn't have enough icetime to get the best out of either of them. Moving Brassard to the wing and Sheahan to 3C solves that issue, while also giving Pittsburgh a stacked top 9, while still having a quality 4th line centered by Cullen.Assuming of course that Brassard can still be effective there, that Sheahan plays like he did last season and Cullen still has enough to be a quality 4C. However none of those are big asks.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Brassard - Malkin - Sprong/Rust
Hagelin - Sheahan - Kessel (or swap Hagelin & Brassard/Guentzel here)
ZAR/Simon - Cullen - Sprong/Rust

Still a very very good forward group, and it doesn't cost us any prospects. Pittsburgh has multiple lineup options if Brassard is playing LW, where they can still have one of Guentzel, Brassard and Kessel on different lines. And that still doesn't factor in what Sprong may (or may not) be able to do.

Well then it's not going from Brassard to Patch.... if you keep Brassard and add Patch. Anyway, if you think you're team will have more success this year without changing anything, it's your opinion. I think the competition got better and Pitts didn't.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well then it's not going from Brassard to Patch.... if you keep Brassard and add Patch. Anyway, if you think you're team will have more success this year without changing anything, it's your opinion. I think the competition got better and Pitts didn't.

Being intentionally obtuse?

I guess this is where we see the difference between an "opinion" and an "informed opinion".

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Being intentionally obtuse?

I guess this is where we see the difference between an "opinion" and an "informed opinion".

Haha you are insulting me!?! After saying you wouldn't even trade Brassard for Pacth +... I'm done with you :thumbu:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I always thought that this made sense, both in the last year of their contracts, MTL needs a Centre, Pittsburgh needs a Winger, the salary difference is $1.5 million, almost the same age?

Montreal trades Patches for a rental player and worse one at that?

Why would they do that?

Pittsburgh goes out and acquires Brassard because they wanted center depth... and then less than a year later they trade him away for a winger?

Why would they do that?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Haha you are insulting me!?! After saying you wouldn't even trade Brassard for Pacth +... I'm done with you :thumbu:

He's not insulting you he's pointing out what you said is ignorant.

The Penguins improved their defense by a large margin by adding Jack Johnson and subtracting Matt Hunwick and they also shored up their center depth and gave themselves some roster flexibility by bringing back Matt Cullen. For you to say they changed nothing was either obtuse, as he pointed out, or uninformed.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He's not insulting you he's pointing out what you said is ignorant.

The Penguins improved their defense by a large margin by adding Jack Johnson and subtracting Matt Hunwick and they also shored up their center depth and gave themselves some roster flexibility by bringing back Matt Cullen. For you to say they changed nothing was either obtuse, as he pointed out, or uninformed.

Obtuse means stupid or slow brain capacity. That's an insult.
In my opinion adding Jack Johnson and 40yo Matt Cullen is not a major change or upgrade. Johnson was benched in the playoffs in Columbus ffs.
I don't think that being ignorant, that's my opinion. Now you too fanboys can chat with eachother mindjerking yourselves. Thanks!

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
MOntreal needs 15 NHL ready players for Patches. Team has a TON of holes to fill and almost no assest to do it. No one wants to go there in FA that makes a difference. Its going to be rough.

member 298589

Montreal has very few assets and should worry about stockpiling those over the next few years. I don't think there is a trade in the whole NHL that has Pacior. giving them even 1/4 of what they need to compete this year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
can't see the net benefit for the penguins by shipping our their 3C, someone who plays an important position, which was vital in back to back titles, for someone who plays a less important position and costs a bit more.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
can't see the net benefit for the penguins by shipping our their 3C, someone who plays an important position, which was vital in back to back titles, for someone who plays a less important position and costs a bit more.

huh... brassard didn't win a stanley cup with the penguins.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
never said he did. comprehend better
i did read correctly. it just shows brassard isn't a deal breaker in the 3C, Cullen did just fine, so did bonino.

putting cullen or sheahan and adding pacioretty in the top 6 LW winger, is much more effective than just have brassard on the third line. so you're point of having a good 3C in the back to back stanley cup isn't valid.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Obtuse means stupid or slow brain capacity. That's an insult.
In my opinion adding Jack Johnson and 40yo Matt Cullen is not a major change or upgrade. Johnson was benched in the playoffs in Columbus ffs.
I don't think that being ignorant, that's my opinion. Now you too fanboys can chat with eachother mindjerking yourselves. Thanks!

Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin and Brassard will hopefully not be injured which would be a huge help. Letang won’t be coming off major surgery and will have a full pre season. We have good depth in all positions from the start of the season which will also help. Our schedule won’t have 19 back to backs and we have had a bigger break so fatigue should be less of a issue.

I’d say we are in a much better position this season than last.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i did read currently. it just shows they don't need brassard isn't a deal breaker in the 3C, Cullen did just fine, so did bonino.

putting cullen or sheahan and adding pacioretty in the top 6 LW winger, is much more effective than just have brassard on the third line. so you're point of having a good 3C in the back to back stanley cup isn't valid.

putting cullen or sheahan on the third line and adding pacioretty in the top 6 LW winger is not more effective than just having have brassard on the third line. patches adds a goal scorer to a team that doesn't need goal scoring. what they need is to be better defensively as a team and brassard is more fit to help them in that regard than pacioretty. the reason the penguins got brassard was because they had a gaping hole at 3C. sheahan wasn't good enough to fill that hole and bonino/cullen left. all three are both inferior to brassard. max pacioretty doesn't address a major hole for them. as i said earler, the penguins don't need someone who can score a lot of goals. they have one of the best pp's already and have a good offence. my point is valid.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
putting cullen or sheahan on the third line and adding pacioretty in the top 6 LW winger is not more effective than just having have brassard on the third line. patches adds a goal scorer to a team that doesn't need goal scoring. what they need is to be better defensively as a team and brassard is more fit to help them in that regard than pacioretty. the reason the penguins got brassard was because they had a gaping hole at 3C. sheahan wasn't good enough to fill that hole and bonino/cullen left. all three are both inferior to brassard. max pacioretty doesn't address a major hole for them. as i said earler, the penguins don't need someone who can score a lot of goals. they have one of the best pp's already and have a good offence. my point is valid.

well lets agree to disagree, because i think Cullen fits perfectly that 3C wich he proved in last years stanley cup. they added Jack johnson who stabilize the dline a bit, put sheahan on the 4th line or cullen. you can never have too many potential goal scorer especially when they play a good defensive game and are good on the PK. patch fits that like a glove.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
well lets agree to disagree, because i think Cullen fits perfectly that 3C wich he proved in last years stanley cup. they added Jack johnson who stabilize the dline a bit, put sheahan on the 4th line or cullen. you can never have too many potential goal scorer especially when they play a good defensive game and are good on the PK. patch fits that like a glove.
cullen wasn't the 3C, rather he was the 4C. bonino was the 3C. as for jack johnson, he only improves their defense slightly. he isn't a great defensive player, only slightly better than hunwick.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I know our GM’s a clown, but this isn’t going to happen. I’m surprised to see 2 threads with it. Absolutely no need for Brassard and he doesn’t get you Pacioretty.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4