Proposal: Pacioretty for Brassard?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see a point of Montreal trading Pacioretty for Brassard, it's not like Brassard is more valuable in terms of futures than Pacioretty is. Sure, maybe they'd like Brassard with an extension, but I don't see why they're wanting a 30 year old center when they suck.

would pens fan do Brassard + 1st for Patch 50% retain

There's no chance in hell Pacioretty has that much more value than Brassard. Brassard's value 4 months ago was Gustavsson, a 1st and a 3rd. You're not getting an additional 1st on top of that package.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is not top dollar. Top dollar would include Sprong.

It's :
Pacioretty 50% retained Vs late first + Addison
Byron (1.17M) + early 3rd Vs Hallander + Hagelin (4M)

The exactness of trade value isn't my point.

My point is I don't believe one year each of Patches and Byron boosts our chances of winning a cup this year (compared to a year of Hagelin) to a degree worth losing three such assets.

That's because

a) I disagree with you on whether the Pens window will definitely be shut or not when these players join the team (although this is a relatively minor detail)
b) Given Rutherford's record of success in finding misfits elsewhere who fit in Pittsburgh in mid-season trades, I don't think it makes sense for the team to make expensive trades for short term assets unless there's no other choice
c) The Pens have a number of question marks at LW and it makes sense to wait and see how the questions are answered before spending big on answers (unless they're the perfect answer)

Reactions: jfhabs

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not interested in trading Brass for Patches. We're in the business of trying to win Cups, and the only time Brass ever disappointed in the playoffs was when his groin was buggered last year. Can't say the same for Max.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Montreal needs an LD for Pacioretty not a C.

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sure, I'll take Brassard if the Pens want to dump him. However, He is not the piece we are looking for in a Patch trade. Maybe we can work out a bigger deal? But if you are not interested in trading your 2019 1st, we have zero base to work a deal and we are wasting time.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hard to comprehend I know. But we can most certainly use a prospect on LD vs Center. I'd take either but if anyone is paying attention, we are very weak on LD in the prospect pool. Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Olofsson, Danault, DLR, Vejdemo, Evans are actually good depth at center. Mete, Romanov, Harris, is all we have at LD.

We are interested in trading Patch for futures. It's not about how our current team looks. It's about how our future team looks.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Hard to comprehend I know. But we can most certainly use a prospect on LD vs Center. I'd take either but if anyone is paying attention, we are very weak on LD in the prospect pool. Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Olofsson, Danault, DLR, Vejdemo, Evans are actually good depth at center. Mete, Romanov, Harris, is all we have at LD.

We are interested in trading Patch for futures. It's not about how our current team looks. It's about how our future team looks.

We aren't amazing at either, to say we shouldn't accept one or the other would be a mistake.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We aren't amazing at either, to say we shouldn't accept one or the other would be a mistake.

I agree but I think I also agree the bigger hole in on LD now that we have drafted Kotkaniemi. Were not getting a legit #1C for Patch. Forget about it. But we can possibly get a top 4D prospect on the Left side though.

Reactions: Steeler23

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Not only all of that, but getting a top 4 LD seems to be much more realistic than a top 6 C.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Bergevin doesn't touch this. It's at best a lateral move. Might have made sense with an add from pitt IF Habs were near playoff contention... They're not, thus 67 will be traded for picks and young players

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't see a point of Montreal trading Pacioretty for Brassard, it's not like Brassard is more valuable in terms of futures than Pacioretty is. Sure, maybe they'd like Brassard with an extension, but I don't see why they're wanting a 30 year old center when they suck.

There's no chance in hell Pacioretty has that much more value than Brassard. Brassard's value 4 months ago was Gustavsson, a 1st and a 3rd. You're not getting an additional 1st on top of that package.

A first line winger with 30 goal- 60 point potential playing without a true center his entire career isn’t worth a 30 year old 3c and a first? Are you playing?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A first line winger with 30 goal- 60 point potential playing without a true center his entire career isn’t worth a 30 year old 3c and a first? Are you playing?

On what planet is Brassard a 30 year old 3C? How is Pacioretty a "30 goal-60 point 1st line winger" and Brassard is a "30 year old 3C"? Are you playing?

Brassard had more points, more ES points (dramatically more, nearly double) and a better pace than Pacioretty did last year, so how exactly does Pacioretty's value equal Brassard and a 1st?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
On what planet is Brassard a 30 year old 3C? How is Pacioretty a "30 goal-60 point 1st line winger" and Brassard is a "30 year old 3C"? Are you playing?

Brassard had more points, more ES points (dramatically more, nearly double) and a better pace than Pacioretty did last year, so how exactly does Pacioretty's value equal Brassard and a 1st?

Yeah because last year and not the handful plus of years before our team in Montreal wasn’t a train wreck is what to go off of. You’re insulting our fanbase with an offer like that let alone declining. Get lost.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah because last year and not the handful plus of years before our team in Montreal wasn’t a train wreck is what to go off of. You’re insulting our fanbase with an offer like that let alone declining. Get lost.

You're the only one saying dumb stuff in here by calling Brassard a "declining 3rd line center". Why don't you get lost and actually educate yourself?

Brassard has been a 50 point player per 82 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons. He's a very upper end 2C, calling him a 3C is a giant red flag that you don't have a clue for what you're talking about. You have absolutely no right to be telling other people to get lost when you say such blatantly wrong and dumb stuff.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

- Pointing out the age isn't necessary when there's just 1 year between them.
- If we talk about potential, Brassard have the potential/talent to put 50 pts. There are 50 Center with more than that, so it's low tier 2nd line C.
- 55-60 pts wingers are low-tier 1st line.
- Habs are good on W (even more if we can put Drouin back there) and very bad on C, so 60 pts vs 50 pts isn't the end of the world IMO.

At the end of the day, when you have Crosby and Malkin, you don't necessarily needs clear cut 1st line W. They are better with a very good "3C" like Brassard to be more balance. And if one of them get injured, and they trade Brassard, it would mean Sheahan is now the 2C. If they have Patches and he got injured, they just play a rookie with Crosby or Malkin and it's not the end of the world.

Pacioretty may be the better player, but Brassard is more needed.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You're the only one saying dumb stuff in here by calling Brassard a "declining 3rd line center". Why don't you get lost and actually educate yourself?

Brassard has been a 50 point player per 82 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons. He's a very upper end 2C, calling him a 3C is a giant red flag that you don't have a clue for what you're talking about. You have absolutely no right to be telling other people to get lost when you say such blatantly wrong and dumb stuff.

He hasn’t put up 50 points since 2016, three years ago. And we’ee trading you a player with large offensive upside for this declining talent. Please we aren’t looking for an aging 40-50 point center at the cost of our best goal scorer..

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

I'm an Habs fan and no, I'm not insulted.

We have enough middling players like Brassard, thanks.

No, we don't. Danault is a great 3C who can help as a 2C if necessary. And even if I think Drouin can play better than last season as a C and deserve another look, if it doesn't work, we will just waste his talent if we keep him there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He hasn’t put up 50 points since 2016, three years ago. And we’ee trading you a player with large offensive upside for this declining talent. Please we aren’t looking for an aging 40-50 point center at the cost of our best goal scorer..

A. That's 2 years ago, not 3 years ago.
B. He had 46 points in 72 games last season, which is a pace of 52 points per 82 games.
C. How is Brassard "declining talent" while Pacioretty isn't, considering he just had his lowest scoring season in a long time this season?
D. Why is Brassard "aging" when he's like a year older than Pacioretty? They're separated by 14 months, Pacioretty isn't some 23 year old player at this point.

You look absurdly biased in here right now. I'm not adding a 1st on top of a high end 2C for a 1st line LW, there's not a chance in hell I'm doing that.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I'm no Habs fan but some of the proposals lately trying to rob them have been a great source of entertainment in these dog days of July. Thanks you.

Reactions: Steeler23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad