Around the NHL 2023-2024

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Woll is Binningtoning the Bruins! Headed to a game 7!

Will Boston let Montgomery go if they blow a 3-1 series lead in back to back years? I think it’s becoming quite a possibility.

Reactions: ArenaRat

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
this is great, no matter who wins the series someone will choke.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Monty would be a nice coup for the Blues but blowing 3-1 series leads in consecutive years would be a little alarming I must admit. I can’t imagine that’s happened many times in NHL playoff history.
I just saw a stat from a reporter on Twitter that if it happens, it would be the first time in the history of the NHL, NBA or MLB.

That honestly shocks me, it’s hard to believe that hasn’t happened before. But I haven’t seen anything to disprove it.

So now I think he’s definitely gone if they lose. And while it is alarming, the Bruins have actually lost A LOT of big games over the past decade +. Therefore I find it hard to blame Monty, and instead think their leadership isn’t nearly as good as their fans say it is.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Apparently the Leafs are 0-5 in their last five game 7s.

And the Bruins are now 0-6 in their last six games where they could advance to the next round.

We shall see who gets to continue their streak of futility

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Monty would be a nice coup for the Blues but blowing 3-1 series leads in consecutive years would be a little alarming I must admit. I can’t imagine that’s happened many times in NHL playoff history.
no team in nhl, mlb, or nba has lost series in consecutive seasons where they blew 3-1 lead. this would be unprecedented.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So now I think he’s definitely gone if they lose. And while it is alarming, the Bruins have actually lost A LOT of big games over the past decade +. Therefore I find it hard to blame Monty, and instead think their leadership isn’t nearly as good as their fans say it is.
Blowing two 3-1 series leads would almost certainly put him out of a job. I'm not as concerned about it overall if the Blues could pick him up as a result, because he does have the playoff run with Dallas in 2019 on his resume as well. And with some puck luck in Game 7 OT the Stars were on their way to the Conference Final and I think they get past San Jose same as we did in that scenario.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
game 7: coaching for your job; loser gets fired.

The good ol' loser leaves town match! Who woulda thought this series would have so much drama the way it started. And without Matthews? Toronto starting to feel that magic.

My preseason Cup pick was Edmonton over Toronto, which looks like it could happen.

Regarding Monty, I surely would take him back but I wonder if he's been overhyped by an outlier Bruins season where they could do no wrong. From what I've heard he's a pretty easy-going coach who is more buddy buddy with players than most. I wonder if that's the type of guy we need right now or not.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The good ol' loser leaves town match! Who woulda thought this series would have so much drama the way it started. And without Matthews? Toronto starting to feel that magic.

My preseason Cup pick was Edmonton over Toronto, which looks like it could happen.

Regarding Monty, I surely would take him back but I wonder if he's been overhyped by an outlier Bruins season where they could do no wrong. From what I've heard he's a pretty easy-going coach who is more buddy buddy with players than most. I wonder if that's the type of guy we need right now or not.

Stars pushed us to game 7 in 2019 and we were much better when he was an assistant coach here. If he is being overhyped I don't think it's by that much tbh.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Stars pushed us to game 7 in 2019 and we were much better when he was an assistant coach here. If he is being overhyped I don't think it's by that much tbh.

I guess it's like a free agent player. If he's gonna push for max money and a bidding war, then I wouldn't expect us to win that. However, if him and his wife really want to be here and he prefers to be in STL then it's much more likely.

As for his coaching performance, it's not really fair to blame coaches for individual losses but the main thing is does he get the most out of his team? Obviously that Stars series was inches away from being a Dallas victory and he's definitely gotten a lot out of Boston....in the regular season. Personally I don't think their team on paper is as good as their point totals the past two years, so that would suggest that he is getting the most out of his roster.

My only question is, would he build the right kind of culture for our team right now? Not saying he wouldn't, but that's the biggest question for me. Would we be better off with a friendly player's coach like Monty or someone who will bring more discipline and work ethic to the team? The fact that Boston would even consider letting him go after how well they've played the last two seasons makes me wonder why. There's at least one Boston fan on their board who seems to think Monty is too buddy buddy with the players. Being an assistant and head coach are two totally different things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majorityof1

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
You thought Brian Elliott was a cup quality goaltender when he could not even outperform Jake Allen in the playoffs here.
This is absolutely moronic.

Jake Allen is not in Elliott's class. Elliott was excellent for the Blues, and Jake Allen was a nightmare. You are already widely discredited on goaltending so it's not too important, but just absolutely not with this garbage.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
clearly Matthews is the problem, I think Toronto should send him to us with 50% retention, we need a 2C
I'm thinking a 2nd and Krug

Reactions: ArenaRat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad