Rumor: Pacific teams interested in Chiasson

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Like hell they do, they’re playing Garnet Hathaway as an everyday player. :laugh: Chiasson’s also an upgrade on Czarnik and Mangiapane, and whatever beer leaguer locked James Neal in his basement and assumed his identity.

No chance at all Edmonton sells for a 5th. Particularly in division.

Hathaway is one of the best PKers in the game. Chiasson needs to be spoon fed by McDavid and PP time.

We’re not messing with our chemistry. Chissson is only a good option for a team that desperately needs someone that can play passenger in the middle 6 wing spot. We’re fine on wing.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Like hell they do, they’re playing Garnet Hathaway as an everyday player. :laugh: Chiasson’s also an upgrade on Czarnik and Mangiapane, and whatever beer leaguer locked James Neal in his basement and assumed his identity.

This is rich coming from a team that plays Kassian in its top line. Btw, Hathaway would have the 3rd most goals among your natural wingers, but you can keep trying to grasp at straws.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
IMO he was a flash in the pan for his first ~25 games of the year and now he has just become his regular 4th line self again. If the Oilers manage to get a 2nd for him, that would be a complete robbery.

I want the Oilers to trade him and give the last ~20 games for other guys internally to get a shot in the NHL.

Reactions: A91

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is rich coming from a team that plays Kassian in its top line. Btw, Hathaway would have the 3rd most goals among your natural wingers, but you can keep trying to grasp at straws.

Kassian would be an upgrade for you lot too.

Weird how playing on a good team with defence that can actually headman the puck can zoom a guy’s stats like that.

Your PK is 23rd in the NHL, weird with such an elite PKer.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Is Edmonton going to trade him? Bin Stauffer said that the Oilers might not trade him due to injuries & lack of forward depth.

The rumoured price for Chiasson was 2nd round pick or a prospect.

My guess is they will get a third for him

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Reasonable take. It’s just dishonest to say Chiasson isn’t an upgrade on what you have.

Especially given that we aren’t selling him cheap.

We've literally watched more Chiasson on our roster than you guys have on yours. We're good and Chiasson is very mediocre. A meathead who skates really fast but accomplishes nothing out there. Blake Comeau v2.0

Mangiapane is better and younger with way more upside.

Hathaway is the engine of our fourth line

and Czarnik is not only more skilled and thinks the game faster than Chiasson but BT also literally chose and identified him over Chiasson (who got his numbers inflated being a tap-in merchant with McDavid and now the Oilers are trying to sell high on that)

Idk how much Flames hockey you've been watching lately but our fourth line of Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway has been dominant and i can't see BT spending assets to break that up for Alex Chiasson of all people lmfao. Hell Dube and Quine are also flatout better players as well and if they wanted a similar player to Chiasson to play a hybrid speedy-heavy game from the farm team they could call up Lazar

It's probably Vegas or San Jose. Go bargain your scrubs off to their fans

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I think he'd fit better on a team like Chicago of Vancouver. San Jose may want an insurance player .

I bet he's gone today.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

Weird how playing on a good team with defence that can actually headman the puck can zoom a guy’s stats like that.

I would consider Kassian for a low round pick as I think he could bring an edge in the playoffs as the 12th/13th forward on 4th line. Still maintain I wouldn't take Chaisson for free though.

Reactions: cheechoo

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I would consider Kassian for a low round pick as I think he could bring an edge in the playoffs as the 12th/13th forward on 4th line. Still maintain I wouldn't take Chaisson for free though.

I don’t think the Oilers really have any reason to trade Kassian for a low pick.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I agree that the price is way off, but Chiasson is getting top line minutes in Edmonton. In Calgary he'd be back down to about 12 minutes per night and 25ish points per year. Calgary's 3rd line is Neal, Jankowski, and Bennettt. Chiasson is not a substantial upgrade over those 3. Chiasson is not a significant upgrade on Ryan either.

Mangiapane is in Calgary's development spot. Cziarnik comes in and out of the lineup as a 13th forward.

So basically, the only one that Chiasson clearly bumps is Hathaway.

I think Chiasson is an effective tweener, but not a huge need for Calgary. This is particularly true if Calgary goes after a big fish like Stone or one of the NYR forwards. That leaves even less room in the lineup for a player like Chiasson. Calgary already passed on Chiasson once too, after they failed to qualify him.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We've literally watched more Chiasson on our roster than you guys have on yours. We're good and Chiasson is very mediocre. A meathead who skates really fast but accomplishes nothing out there. Blake Comeau v2.0

Mangiapane is better and younger with way more upside.

Hathaway is the engine of our fourth line

and Czarnik is not only more skilled and thinks the game faster than Chiasson but BT also literally chose and identified him over Chiasson (who got his numbers inflated being a tap-in merchant with McDavid and now the Oilers are trying to sell high on that)

Idk how much Flames hockey you've been watching lately but our fourth line of Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway has been dominant and i can't see BT spending assets to break that up for Alex Chiasson of all people lmfao. Hell Dube and Quine are flatout better players too and if they want a similar player to Chiasson to play a hybrid speedy-heavy game from the farm team they could call up Lazar

It's probably Vegas or San Jose. Go bargain your srubs off to their fans

You have a funny definition of dominant considering most of them are negative REL players despite not seeing tough matchups. There’s a lot of reasons your team is having a good season but it aint guys like Hathaway.

Mangiapane? Sure, young, decent start, I get it. Czarnik and Hathaway are replacement level guys and not much more.

Now I just hope you guys give up something stupid like Dube for him just to watch your heads explode. :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree that the price is way off, but Chiasson is getting top line minutes in Edmonton. In Calgary he'd be back down to about 12 minutes per night and 25ish points per year. Calgary's 3rd line is Neal, Jankowski, and Bennettt. Chiasson is not a substantial upgrade over those 3. Chiasson is not a significant upgrade on Ryan either.

Mangiapane is in Calgary's development spot. Cziarnik comes in and out of the lineup as a 13th forward.

So basically, the only one that Chiasson clearly bumps is Hathaway.

I think Chiasson is an effective tweener, but not a huge need for Calgary. This is particularly true if Calgary goes after a big fish like Stone or one of the NYR forwards. That leaves even less room in the lineup for a player like Chiasson. Calgary already passed on Chiasson once too, after they failed to qualify him.

I like how you didn’t get your feathers all ruffled and start squawking. Take notes, others.

Makes sense. Maybe Treliving has seen something he likes in Chiasson, maybe not. He’s been good for us so goodness knows other teams have seen him good this year.

As for Stone... I can’t rightly see what you’d give up to get him or a guy like Kreider. I think you could pull Hayes or Zucc.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Chiasson is not remotely an upgrade on Czarnik or Mangiapane.

And he's not an upgrade on Hathaway either. We know what he is, which is a 4th liner, but Hathaway is also that, plus a lot of intangibles. One season where Chiasson is shooting 20% (!!!) and playing 17 minutes a night (including PP1 time) on a bottom feeder doesn't make him better than Hathaway. Hathaway doesn't take idiotic penalties, actually draws penalties, doesn't go offside every shift, and is just as good a PKer and defensive player.

There's a reason Alex Chiasson was a PTO.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Can see the Flames as well. He’s a guy they know well, GM isn’t afraid to deal picks, and Chiasson would be a nice add to their bottom six.
I seriously doubt that the Flames organization will make a trade for a player that they let walk as a UFA in 2017. You're right... they know him well which is exactly why they don't want him. Chiasson's numbers this year are highly inflated because of all the time he spent playing with McDavid.
Nice try though but the Flames didn't get where they are by buying a pig in a poke... that's Chiarelli's shtick... not Trelivings.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

No reason for us to deal him for that. He was great for us in the playoffs and frankly we’d rather see you lose than get a 6th rounder. ;)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Weird... we are 2nd in the league too... tell me, is Kassian better than Elias Lindholm? :laugh:

Your grasping. Every flames fan knows what chiasson is, your not gonna swindle us just because he had an insane stretch he will never replicate.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I seriously doubt that the Flames organization will make a trade for a player that they let walk as a UFA in 2017. You're right... they know him well which is exactly why they don't want him..

One correction.

They let Chiasson walk as an RFA. He wasn't qualified even though the team had team control.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I like how you didn’t get your feathers all ruffled and start squawking. Take notes, others.

Makes sense. Maybe Treliving has seen something he likes in Chiasson, maybe not. He’s been good for us so goodness knows other teams have seen him good this year.

As for Stone... I can’t rightly see what you’d give up to get him or a guy like Kreider. I think you could pull Hayes or Zucc.

The Flames have 3 very highly regarded defensive prospects in Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki. They would give up one of them for a player like Stone, assuming Stone has expressed interest in re-signing in Calgary. Andersson already look like a top 4, so he's probably off the table.

1st, Kylington, plus is a competitive package for an upcoming UFA.

I also actually really liked Chiasson's hustle, and I'm glad he managed to find some level of success in the NHL. I don't see the Flames giving up anything substantial for him though.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

Chaisson has decent stats because he is playing ten minutes more than he should be on any other team. Also playing with McDavid helps. The Oilers should keep him, he is more valuable for them than most teams because they literally have no depth.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Funny how it did nothing for Chiasson last time he was here.

In 91:30 of penalty kill time, Garnet Hathaway has a -4 goal differential on the PK.
In 34:40 of penalty kill time, Alex Chiasson has a -5 goal differential on the PK.

Hmm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad