Rumor: Pacific teams interested in Chiasson

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
You have a funny definition of dominant considering most of them are negative REL players despite not seeing tough matchups. There’s a lot of reasons your team is having a good season but it aint guys like Hathaway.

Mangiapane? Sure, young, decent start, I get it. Czarnik and Hathaway are replacement level guys and not much more.

Now I just hope you guys give up something stupid like Dube for him just to watch your heads explode. :laugh:

Stat watchers. ew

No you want someone like Dube for him so you can get a fourth non-replacement level forward to add to your top 6 :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Czarnik ... replacement level guys and not much more.

If you think Czarnik is replacement level you're guilty of hockeyDB scouting.

Czarnik was among the most sought after free agents in the league.. 22 teams wanted in on him and Calgary signed him to a two year deal even though he didn't have a season of NHL time on his resume. He has absurdly nice underlying numbers, has goals in 3 of his last 4 games and was a Ryan Miller SOTY away from goals in 4 straight games. He's absurdly fast. Has a ton of skill. His forechecking is exactly the kind of play that gets teams deep into the playoffs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Funny how it did nothing for Chiasson last time he was here.

In 91:30 of penalty kill time, Garnet Hathaway has a -4 goal differential on the PK.
In 34:40 of penalty kill time, Alex Chiasson has a -5 goal differential on the PK.

Hmm.

I’m sure defencemen like Giordano have nothing to do with that, either.

I didn’t say a word about Chiasson’s PK ability. Don’t put words in my mouth .

Thin skinned group, aren’t you? I’m getting six responses for every one I have time to type.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Is Edmonton going to trade him? Bin Stauffer said that the Oilers might not trade him due to injuries & lack of forward depth.

The rumoured price for Chiasson was 2nd round pick or a prospect.
That sounds like the "Buy now" price on Chiasson I'm sure the bids will be lower, I'll happy if we get a 3rd round pick for him. I think there is a small chance we get a 3rd round pick and something like a 6th round pick as a potential tie-breaker if we can get a couple teams interested in giving up a 3rd round pick for him.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
One correction.

They let Chiasson walk as an RFA. He wasn't qualified even though the team had team control.
You right! I forgot that the Flames thought so little of Chiasson that they weren't even interested in giving him a qualifying offer.
In no way can I ever imagine Treliving giving up a draft pick at any level, for Chiasson today. Frankly I'm surprised that with the AHL roster that the Oilers field that they are even considering trading him. He's not good enough to play for the Flames but he's certainly better than half of the Oilers players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you think Czarnik is replacement level you're guilty of hockeyDB scouting.

Czarnik was among the most sought after free agents in the league.. 22 teams wanted in on him and Calgary signed him to a two year deal even though he didn't have a season of NHL time on his resume. He has absurdly nice underlying numbers, has goals in 3 of his last 4 games and was a Ryan Miller SOTY away from goals in 4 straight games. He's absurdly fast. Has a ton of skill. His forechecking is exactly the kind of play that gets teams deep into the playoffs.

They wanted him because he’s dirt cheap and didn’t cost anything more than a contract spot. He’s 26 and has 10 NHL goals to his CAREER. Holy moly you’re usually bad (Kylington > Nurse, anyone) but pumping the tires of a very mediocre forward is something even for you.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
Please not San Jose. He would be much further down the depth chart, and because of this, I doubt he would be anywhere near as effective as he has been with Edmonton. If the asking price is even close to a 2nd, that would be another cause to politely decline.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
They wanted him because he’s dirt cheap and didn’t cost anything more than a contract spot. He’s 26 and has 10 NHL goals to his CAREER.

Why would a team that just wants a guy because he's cheap send their coach to meet him personally at his home?

They wanted him because he had all the signs of a late career breakout player like Marchessault, Gourde, St. Louis.

He struggled as a Flame early because we kept putting him on the shutdown line with Backlund. Now that we've put him on a scoring line he's so often one of our most impactful players. I wouldn't even trade him for RNH tbqh.

Holy moly you’re usually bad (Kylington > Nurse, anyone)

Yikes, that was bad.

Kylington >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nurse.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
1950-snake-oil-is-wonderful-stuff-500x722.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bigger forward with playoff experience.

There will certainly be a market for him but I doubt we get the rumored asking price of a 2nd + prospect.
that is clearly ridiculous. It's more like a 4th rounder. Perhaps a 3rd if the seller's market is just that strong, and even then maybe we send them something else

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You right! I forgot that the Flames thought so little of Chiasson that they weren't even interested in giving him a qualifying offer.
In no way can I ever imagine Treliving giving up a draft pick at any level, for Chiasson today. Frankly I'm surprised that with the AHL roster that the Oilers field that they are even considering trading him. He's not good enough to play for the Flames but he's certainly better than half of the Oilers players.
They did that with Marty St. Louis as well

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why would a team that just wants a guy because he's cheap send their coach to meet him personally at his home?

They wanted him because he had all the signs of a late career breakout player like Marchessault, Gourde, St. Louis.

He struggled as a Flame early because we kept putting him on the shutdown line with Backlund. Now that we've put him on a scoring line he's so often one of our most impactful players. I wouldn't even trade him for RNH tbqh.

Yikes, that was bad.

Kylington >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nurse.

I’d imagine you’re sorely disappointed if you thought you were getting the next Marchesseault. Dude has 9 points as a 26 year old on an excellent team. If you wouldn’t trade him for RNH then you’ve lost what little sense you had left.

Nurse >>> every defenceman you have not named Giordano.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You let Martin St. Louis go for nothing. Maybe you don't need Chiasson, but that's not a good argument.

Brad Treliving did not let MSL go for nothing. He did let Byron go for nothing and probably regrets that because he thought he could sneak Byron through waivers and got burned hard on a player everyone with a brain loved.

Brad Treliving did let Chiasson go for nothing. And when Chiasson was available this offseason for a 650k cap hit, he said "No Thanks, I would rather spend 1.25M on Austin Czarnik and 800k on Dalton Prout"

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I’d imagine you’re sorely disappointed if you thought you were getting the next Marchesseault. Dude has 9 points as a 26 year old on an excellent team. If you wouldn’t trade him for RNH then you’ve lost what little sense you had left.

6M for an above average skater who has a top 6 skillset and is a LHS

vs

1.25M for a burner who has a top 6 skillset and is a RHS

easy choice. RNH is a good player but propped up by his role on a shallow team.

This is such a brutal take. Nurse would be our #5LHD behind Giordano, Hanifin, Kylington, Valimaki. And we would play TJ Brodie over him too if push came to shove. Even though Brodie is a RD. Hamonic and Andersson are also better options.

But that's why you're pushing dead last in the standings and we're cruising along trying to edge out the Sharks.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

What a way to lose credibility.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad