P-L Dubois Part 2

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I wasn't trying to be an idiot, I was being serious. And it is the point, that's why I was asking. You have not seen any flashes of skill and haven't seen him insert himself into the action so there's nothing else you need to say.

So am I now banned for offering my opinion on all further issues related to PLD? I'm confused, that was my first post, not as if I've been in here complaining about him for pages.

PS: I'm pretty sure I'm just misunderstanding your post and we're in agreement PLD needs to show more? Who knows

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
So am I now banned for offering my opinion on all further issues related to PLD? I'm confused, that was my first post, not as if I've been in here complaining about him for pages.

PS: I'm pretty sure I'm just misunderstanding your post and we're in agreement PLD needs to show more? Who knows

LOL. I said I wasn't trying to be an idiot. I was seriously wondering what your expectations are of him at this point in his young career.

I think some people have way higher expectations for him with him being a 3rd overall pick or maybe they see other players that are looking better in their eyes. Fair enough. But look back in history. For every Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Towes and Scott Niedermayer I can find you an Alexandre Svitov, Chris Gratton and Neil Brady. Drafts are fickle. Most of the time you are not getting a superstar with the 3rd pick, you are most likely getting a solid NHL player, even a great player. And maybe you're getting a bust. Posters on the mains in the GDT said this has been his best game but that's not good enough for some. If he would have scored on the two good attempts that he had I wonder if people would be relieved or say he should of had a hat trick. I just don't get it. Nothing personal.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
LOL. I said I wasn't trying to be an idiot. I was seriously wondering what your expectations are of him at this point in his young career.

I think some people have way higher expectations for him with him being a 3rd overall pick or maybe they see other players that are looking better in their eyes. Fair enough. But look back in history. For every Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Towes and Scott Niedermayer I can find you an Alexandre Svitov, Chris Gratton and Neil Brady. Drafts are fickle. Most of the time you are not getting a superstar with the 3rd pick, you are most likely getting a solid NHL player, even a great player. And maybe you're getting a bust. Posters on the mains in the GDT said this has been his best game but that's not good enough for some. If he would have scored on the two good attempts that he had I wonder if people would be relieved or say he should of had a hat trick. I just don't get it. Nothing personal.

To be fair to Dubois, I dont have crazy expectations right now. I'm going to give him atleast two years before I start freaking out, it's just a little concerning to see him get outplayed by our 7th round pick of the same draft.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Right now, I fully expect PLD to spend next year back in juniors. And the good news is that the jackets can afford to give him that time. If he develops more quickly and forces his way on the roster next year, then that is a bonus.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
He didn't look great. But neither does Strome, who's a year older and also #3 overall.

2017 will be a wake-up call summer for PLD, let's hope we are involved, we make gains and get his game back on track.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
He's not playing with any authority out there. His shot attempts look tentative and half hearted.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thought this was interesting. This is from the PLD thread in the prospects section.

Just chill out guys. PL is a good friend of mine. I know he hasn't lived up to the expectations lately, but there's nothing to worry about.

First, he's only 18 years old. He's played in Cape Breton, a very small junior hockey market, for 2 1/2 years now and, even if he put up terrific numbers, he didn't face much attention in his first 2 years. So, when he was selected 3rd overall he wasn't ready for the hype that comes with it (he was more prepared for the hype given to a top 10-12 pick). Then comes the lucrative contract, with the bonus that comes with it. Then, the new car, all the interviews and all the different brands that want to be represented by the new big name in town. It's a lot of pressure for a 18 years old kid who comes from a little town and plays junior hockey at the very end of Canada. Want it or not, with all that hype, your head becomes bigger and bigger and it may possibly have negative effects on your on ice performance. (Jonathan Drouin, another 3rd pick overall, had the same kind of problem when he came back to junior, same for Jonathan Huberdeau, but then they matured and are both dominant players at only 21 and 23 years old.)

Also, he has to get used to his frame. He's put up like 15 pounds in the summer.
I trained with him when he was in Rimouski this summer and once I saw him I was like: woaahh the kid is a monster now ! I mean, it's tough to have the same agility and speed when you're used to play at 190 lbs and you're now 210 lbs. You can see he lost a bit of balance and skills, but he'll be fine once he's totally used to his body.

I may have a bias in his favor, but I'm also very disappointing by the way the things are going for him right now and I don't think he gives 100 % effort every night.
But I can tell you one thing, Duber is probably the most characterial and persevering person I know, he'll be just fine.

Good night HFBoarders

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The guy we passed over to take PLD? All he did was gift us a power play tonight that ended up in the back of his team's net. Let PLD develop.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Thought this was interesting. This is from the PLD thread in the prospects section.

Whether the poster really knows PLD or not, it's interesting points that do make sense. He's got some things to figure out and work through and he has time to do so.

I didn't post it earlier, but one of the things that I liked to hear is that he is apparently in constant communication with the Jackets. I think that can only help in the long run. This was in the Halifax paper in early December:

The Blue Jackets, who sent Dubois back to junior on the eve of the NHL season, have kept in close contact with their budding centre.

“We talk every day or every two days,†Dubois said Sunday after Cape Breton’s 3-2 shootout win over the Val d’Or Foreurs in what was likely his final QMJHL game before January.

“They just want to see an improvement every day. They want to see me work hard in practices, work hard in the gym and work hard in the games, and I’ve been doing that. They know that if I go to (Canada’s) camp and work hard and play like I can, I can make the team. That’s what I’m going to do.â€

“I got sent down to play (significant) minutes and work hard in practice and improve each day, and get ready for next year’s (Columbus) camp and come back and play good minutes,†Dubois said. “I’ve been doing that and working hard in practices and the games.

“Like you said, people read too much into the stats. But when you’re actually playing and practising and working hard, you don’t really read the stats. You read more how you’re developing and how you feel yourself. I feel like every day I’m getting better and better, I’m getting stronger and working hard. That’s all that counts, really.â€

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1422598-dubois-shoots-for-spot-on-team-canada

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
This argument irritates me. The guy we passed up on, is also going to develop.

Shouldn't that geezer have already been there given that he had quite the head start for his professional career. Puljujärvi was signed at the age of thirteen by Kärpät and dropped out of school at the age of fifteen. That ain't exactly the normal path for Finnish prospects.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Shouldn't that geezer have already been there given that he had quite the head start for his professional career. Puljujärvi was signed at the age of thirteen by Kärpät and dropped out of school at the age of fifteen. That ain't exactly the normal path for Finnish prospects.

Can you just keep your anti-Pulj crap to threads about him maybe? What are you expecting to accomplish with this incessant broken record BS?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This argument irritates me. The guy we passed up on, is also going to develop.

I forgot he's the Doogie Howser of hockey and he's already peaked at 17.

Can you just keep your anti-Pulj crap to threads about him maybe? What are you expecting to accomplish with this incessant broken record BS?

This issue, to a larger extent, is that people who have decided one thing or another are using current results either as proof or are solely relying in the development thing.

"Should've drafted JP" = look at PLD in WJC, he's teh suck! And JP's in NHL, already, with a lot of room to grow yet!

"Have decided or trying to convince themselves PLD was the right choice" = JP is doing absolutely nothing for the Oil! PLD is developing right where we want him, in juniors, and has changed positions and teams!

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Context? The basis of truth is acknowledging facts. I would love to have an elite Finnish winger prospect but it does not work that way.

I am likely the first who declared that there is no competition between Puljujärvi and the top prospects in this draft. Before the truth hit most of folks, including the Edmonton Oilers. If there is a Puljujärvi expert amongst us why not use this knowledge? Puljujärvi's player path was after all quite exceptional opportunity so it does not exactly work in 1vs1 comparison with Dubois who at this very moment might have worked more, better and more wisely if the selected viewpoint is seasons ahead.

If someone comes from the bushes he likely is already there before you see him coming. You might sense he is there.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This issue, to a larger extent, is that people who have decided one thing or another are using current results either as proof or are solely relying in the development thing.

"Should've drafted JP" = look at PLD in WJC, he's teh suck! And JP's in NHL, already, with a lot of room to grow yet!

"Have decided or trying to convince themselves PLD was the right choice" = JP is doing absolutely nothing for the Oil! PLD is developing right where we want him, in juniors, and has changed positions and teams!

Yeah that's all fine and good. I understand why the comparison makes sense.

I'm tired reading the exact same "geezer this" and "geezer that" over and over again about Pulju in every thread in a CBJ message board. We ****ing get the message.

It's like Tulip was bullied by Pulju when they were young together and this is his attempt at revenge, but he doesn't realize he's only punishing us.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
still, it's not like one prospect has peeked at 17 while the other is just getting started. And I'm not trying to make this a debate between the two, I'm just saying I've heard a lot of people, even in the media, that make that argument. If you ask me, I'd rather have an 18 struggling at NHL than an 18 struggling in junior with kids his own age.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
It's like Tulip was bullied by Pulju when they were young together and this is his attempt at revenge, but he doesn't realize he's only punishing us.

I have no quarrel with Puljujärvi himself. Worlds are colliding with those who have gone with the hype. Accuracy-wise I believe in my methods: highlighted in Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano, Nutivaara and the recent third overall pick process the effect in truth has been shown, even when it was to manifest as the future. Puljujärvi is only a vehicle to hone these skills which take a bit of research, world view and decision-making. I guess you can do without any of this just fine relying on coins flips and hype but feel free to expand from your own standing point if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
still, it's not like one prospect has peeked at 17 while the other is just getting started. And I'm not trying to make this a debate between the two, I'm just saying I've heard a lot of people, even in the media, that make that argument. If you ask me, I'd rather have an 18 struggling at NHL than an 18 struggling in junior with kids his own age.

Ahem.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I have no quarrel with Puljujärvi himself. Worlds are colliding with those who have gone with the hype. Accuracy-wise I believe in my methods: highlighted in Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano, Nutivaara and the recent third overall pick process the effect in truth has been shown, even when it was to manifest as the future. Puljujärvi is only a vehicle to hone these skills which take a bit of research, world view and decision-making. I guess you can do without any of this just fine relying on coins flips and hype but feel free to expand from your own standing point if necessary.

My point is this: Please do us all a favor and stop saying the same thing about the same player over and over and over and over again in random threads that have nothing to do with aforementioned player.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have decided I am not going to read this thread for at least 2 more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00