P-L Dubois Part 2

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd agree that he's been invisible. Someone said he's playing a horrible game and I don't see that. All of Canada looks out of sync. These are tough games to draw conclusions from.

Being invisible is playing horrible. Also, who is drawing conclusions? Saying he is playing bad in a game or tournament is describing his play in a game or tournament. It has nothing to do with his future. It doesn't even have anything to do with his next game.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
He didn't endear himself to the fans taking the stupid late penalty for putting the puck in the net after the offside whistle had blown. That pretty much iced the game.

USA wearing the sweet jerseys.:yo:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
He reminds me of the project that was Alexander Svitov. Underwhelmed so far to say the least. Kid is gonna take some time.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
To begin with, no teenager is ever a "bust" unless he is doing 25 to life. That being, said, it is not rational to be unconcerned about what we are seeing from him. Sure, Puji is having problems too. but at least he is having problems in the NHL. PLD is having problems in Juniors, Juniors, not even the AHL. Now Yarmo and his staff clearly have sharp eyes so they must have seen something special in this kid to draft him as number 3 in the first round. But ……… this kid seems to be a real project. We may not see him in the NHL until the 2019 season. And if he is good at that time, he may be worth the wait. But clearly, at this point, he is now in the Project rather than Prospect category.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
He's big. He's skilled. He's soft.

Hopefully when he gets into our locker room the boys will be a good influence on maturing him and his game or he'll be traded. I can't believe I just typed that out room is strong. The country club is closed.

That Thurkauf kid caught my eye and I didn't know he was ours. We don't have anyone on team USA do we? Wouldn't mind picking up poppey jones sons brother. You know, seth's brother. Other wise known as poppey's other kid. I bet that kids got a chip on his shoulder like none other

Last edited:

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Nope.

I believe he will make the team next season unless the CBJ decide to sign Gagner, which I find highly unlikely. No reason to keep him in the Q. Needs to learn the pro game and can't go to the AHL.

Depending on who they lose in the expansion draft he could start as a third line center (if they lose Karlsson) or a replacement for Gagner both at even strength and/or on the PP. Or he could be the 13th forward in case of injuries.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I've seen Dubois in Cape Breton a number of times......there is a pile of ability, puck protection and playmaking down below the dots.

His lack of maturity and leadership is stunning....he is a bad penalty machine and cannot control his temper/impulsive stupidity. Too early to write him off but he has been a black hole on Canada's first line.

Very pleased to see him getting traded from the Screaming Eagles so I don't have to watch him play in the 2nd half.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's weird people calling out his maturity because after he was picked I recall jarmo talking about how he oozed character. Never really talked about his abilities, just how hard he worked and his character.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Nope.

I believe he will make the team next season unless the CBJ decide to sign Gagner, which I find highly unlikely. No reason to keep him in the Q. Needs to learn the pro game and can't go to the AHL.

Depending on who they lose in the expansion draft he could start as a third line center (if they lose Karlsson) or a replacement for Gagner both at even strength and/or on the PP. Or he could be the 13th forward in case of injuries.

As of today, he's behind Bjorkstrand and Milano for me. Maybe others.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
It's weird people calling out his maturity because after he was picked I recall jarmo talking about how he oozed character. Never really talked about his abilities, just how hard he worked and his character.

What's so weird about it. This is a posting board of many different peoples views that see things differently. It's actually great to be able to see different peoples thoughts over many subjects.

I can see why people can question Dubois play, it's right in front of you to see. But unless you know him personally, have played on his team or are one of his coaches I don't know how people can judge character on the ice. Because he sometimes makes stupid plays, takes dumb penalties or isn't playing to up to expectations has nothing to do with character. Look at Hartnell, do you question his character?

I think he's going to be a good player. I could be wrong. I'm going to let this play out and see what happens over time.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

I read a story along the lines (cannot be certain if it ever happened) that Esa Tikkanen was once banned from a Finnish junior league. Well, he only won the Northern American league five times but that is a story for another time.

What I like about Dubois' character reports is that it ain't all neat. Quite the opposite. He sounds fierce. That is what you want to draft when you are talking of a 17-year-old character who is now 18-year-old. Besides that this Dubois fellow has been pumping iron, I hear.

"Size, skill, hockey sense, hard to play against; all those things, works hard, a lot of character, tough to play against because he finishes every check, plays as well on offense as he does on defence, drives the whole game while playing 200-foot game, a very hard game."

"Consistent, relentless effort, hockey sense, skillset."

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've seen Dubois in Cape Breton a number of times......there is a pile of ability, puck protection and playmaking down below the dots.

His lack of maturity and leadership is stunning....he is a bad penalty machine and cannot control his temper/impulsive stupidity. Too early to write him off but he has been a black hole on Canada's first line.

Very pleased to see him getting traded from the Screaming Eagles so I don't have to watch him play in the 2nd half.

He's with two puck hogs that never move the puck, how can he be a black hole? He never gets the puck.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He's with two puck hogs that never move the puck, how can he be a black hole? He never gets the puck.

Aside from one good jump through the NZ where he got the puck with speed and attacked the D, I can't think of anything he has done, with or without the puck.

I do know he was part of the 3rd goal against yesterday as he left his LW position to go attack the puck in the far corner and Roy seemed confused - no one picked up the left point. Not all on Dubois but his roaming is not helping matters.

I will grant you the fact he's on a line with players he is not compatible with. He needs to get away from them.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus

I don't think he's soft at all. The only thing he's been consistently doing in this WJC is forechecking hard and throwing his body around. He took a dumb penalty in the USA game but I don't think a couple of mental mistakes make him a soft player.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Admittedly I've only seen a snipet of his play from this tournament

Just seemed like a background player. Not the tip of the spear. Wasn't aggressively pushing the play just facilitating some nice passes. But apparently I just missed the good parts. For as big as he is, to me he seemed like he played smaller then he is. He definitely has a NHL frame

I look forward to seeing this Tasmanian devil of a playmaking forward in the remainder of the tournament

So more dark matter then a black hole?

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I wouldn't expect to see him be that much different that he is now the rest of the year. I think there are things he needs to work on, etc.... during the off-season to get back to where he was last year.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Nope.

Don't see it happening that way. Sends the wrong message to Bjorkstrand, Milano, Zaar, Broadhurst.... No way is he better than the kids toiling in the "A" now. He's going to have to earn it and from everything seen, said and written from multiple sources it's hard to see in on the big club next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad