P-L Dubois Part 2

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Pool Party signed a one year deal in Finland this week, which means everyone gets to look up their old takes here.

Jesse Puljujarvi signs one-year deal in Finnish League – now the ball is in the Oilers’ court - TheHockeyNews
This is a very fascinating thread, one I believe we can all look at and learn from.

I remembered not being thrilled with the pick, so I was expecting to find an embarrassingly hot take or two from myself. Instead I only had one brief, unexpected exchange. Can't quote these older threads but here's the copy/paste version:

They're not building for '19-20. They're building for '19-20 to '29-30. This is a very, very young team that is gaining a sustainable influx of talent through the draft.

I was very against the Dubois pick, but have warmed up to it. Clearly they thought that Puljujarvi's attitude wasn't in line with our philosophy, for the same reasons as Johansen, who is also an undiably talented player.

Instead of drafting an extremely talented player who may not fit the mold and ergo may lose value to the organization, they went with a kid who fits the mold, who is unselfish, and wants to get better, who also happens to be a very coveted player in his own right. I get it, and I see nothing wrong with sticking to your philosophy. It's just simply not the philosophy that everyone shares.

We can all glean something from this, I believe. When you stick to your guns, don't question yourself, and go against the grain, not for the sake of going against the grain, but because you trust your work, there are massive dividends that can be paid. Puljujarvi didn't fit with our philosophy, and the whole league thought we were crazy.

Imagine right now if we had drafted JP. That would mean we'd have lost all of the guys we just did and whiffed on a top pick again and had a 6'3" 210lb. hole on the top line. Jesus, I thought this board couldn't get any worse! This place would literally be on fire.

Unnamed Poster, in response:
What I'm saying is we had 15 years to make a roster that is able to make the playoffs/compete.

5 years ago we started the "rebuild" with Jarmo and Co, look how far we have gotten.

My reply:
So say we fire Jarmo. This team will still be slated to hit its stride 2-3 years from now regardless of who replaces him.

Turns out, it had only been 3 years into Jarmo's tenure, and the team set a points record the following season.

If you thumb through that PLD thread, you'll find a ton of people who are hungry for results and cannot fathom why we would pick a player (or at least, why not trade down, you dumb idiot?!) who might need a dash of development over a guy who is definitely NHL ready. We had just finished 27th, the fanbase was dying for a superstar, and this was supposedly a 3-man draft at the top. But you know what? Jesse Puljujarvi is a clearly not cut out for the NHL, and honestly, his personality should have been an indicator from the start. It's insane how much draft hype this kid got and how little people talked about his drive and personality. I'd be willing to bet we had him on a Do Not Draft list

I know it's easy to question the FO for the way the past year has gone. For the record, I'm not upset about anything they did and appreciate the effort during the trade deadline and the decision to give this city the experience of a potential Cup run. Obviously, we're thinner today than we were yesterday and for the love of god we don't even have draft picks to ease the pain, so I understand the frustration.

However, I think this FO might actually be good at their jobs. The St. Louis Blues just won a Cup with plenty of talent acquired by Jarmo & JD, after years of the right philosophies being adhered to along the way. I believe we have a good, young team that may take a step back, but will ultimately be a perennial contender.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-ru...n-41AjNGhoqIE-p2SjzOMoJudbGT06GJ6C67t0F216K5M

LeBrun also notes that there have been no official talks between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Pierre-Luc Dubois‘ agent Pat Brisson but that this is just a matter of the two sides deciding when to get talking.
“Nobody is trying to wait this out,” said LeBrun. He believes sometime in the New Year there will be more news on both contracts.

So PLD is due for a deal for 2020. What do you think? Bridge or Long term?

I'd vote long term. 8 years 7 -7.5 mm. I'd go higher if he can top 70 points this year.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Interesting segment on latest Front and Nationwide (The Athletic) podcast, which is free btw.

They note PLD's scoring has dried up. He is 1-6-7 in his last 17 games and just five goals in his last 29 games. He had been on a steady ~60 point pace all season but has dropped off. Is that because he has the pressure of being "the guy" up front now? No Atkinson, no Bjorkstrand, etc.? Porty noted he has done this every season, but has he?

upload_2020-3-11_11-27-45.png

That is PLD's career numbers by month.

They also talk about the pretty public feuding going on right now between PLD and Torts. They clearly have a difference of opinion about style of play (Dubois had comments a couple weeks ago about it). Is this a Torts/Dubinsky kind of feud or a Torts/Johansen (or insert other offensively-inclined player who disagreed with Torts' style and either got benched or run out of town - maybe Johansen isn't the best comp here) kind of feud?

Which leads me to wonder how negotiations will go this summer if this feud continues over the final 12 games.

Reactions: rotsbu

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They also talk about the pretty public feuding going on right now between PLD and Torts. They clearly have a difference of opinion about style of play (Dubois had comments a couple weeks ago about it). Is this a Torts/Dubinsky kind of feud or a Torts/Johansen (or insert other offensively-inclined player who disagreed with Torts' style and either got benched or run out of town - maybe Johansen isn't the best comp here) kind of feud?

Which leads me to wonder how negotiations will go this summer if this feud continues over the final 12 games.

PLD will be here a lot longer than Torts. I still favor an 8 year deal. 6.75, 7, 7.25 they're all essentially the same.

Reactions: rotsbu and Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad