P-L Dubois Part 2

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Any idea what might be the issue with his first few strides? Is it a conditioning thing? Power?

I feel like that's an issue that can be easily solved over the next couple of years though.

I would think it's from the way he trains and his skating technique, but I have never played hockey.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's always lupus.

latest

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I think what makes the most sense is he focused on "bulking up" to make an NHL roster. He'll either grow into the body or he'll adjust his fitness. He's considered sort of a fitness freak.

May also have some sort of core/groin issue.

He'll be fine. Get him in that summer Atkinson training group.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I wouldn't consider Zherdev a bust. He had 25 goals and 61 points in the year we traded him.

Brule, Picard were both rushed tremendously. I struggle to think with proper development they couldn't have been 3rd or 4th liners. Crazy to think that although Picard played in bits of 5 seasons, he never scored a goal.

Filatov was a flat-out bust.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I just watched the Canada-Latvia game on tape delay. First time seeing Dubois play outside of training camp and a bit of a pre-tournament game. I only watched the first two periods because it was a blowout and because Latvia is not a good team.

The first period was a penalty fest so he didn't get much ice. He's also playing on the wing. CBJ may see him as a center but he could play either in the NHL. Time will tell. Again this was only two periods of one game.

I could see on his first shift what the CBJ may see in him. He left the defensive zone with the puck on left wing. He made a tape to tape pass up the middle to start the rush. The puck moved along the right boards and into the right corner. Dubois pursued the puck and was alone with the puck in the off corner. Two defenders skated towards him. He waited as the defenders approached him. He threw a no look backhand pass to Strome in front of the net. Strome passed across the net to McLeod (I think?) and the goalie stoned him. The puck came along the left boards. Dubois followed the puck and blasted the defender with a big body check (thought it may have been boarding but no penalty call). Off to the bench.

He played the rest of the game the same way in my limited viewing. He didn't dominate play but he was engaged and not invisible.

Pros: He has a big body and is physical. He finishes every check. He stands in front of the net regularly unafraid of taking punishment. He sees the ice pretty well and can find open guys. Unselfish player.

Cons: Like others have said it takes him time getting up to speed, his first few strides are slow. But when he gets going he can move. On one play he was going full steam, took a pass and went in alone. The goalie made the save. He has some puck skill but has to work more on his stick work. He fumbled a few passes here and there.

Hard to judge a guy on one game but I can see how he would fit on our current team. Big, hard on the puck, finishes checks and has some skill to pass or score.

Saw some guys in the game that I really liked. Forget the obvious guys like Barzal and Raddysh. I'm talking about Julien Gauthier and Noah Juulsen. Was impressed with both of them.

Finally does anyone else think that the head coach of Latvia looks like Pat Burns? Must be a relative :laugh:

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Watching him in the World Juniors so far he hasn't really been as much of an offensive presence as I thought he was going to be. He's finishing a lot of checks and forechecking hard which is cool but I thought he was supposed to be more of an offensive threat.

Kind of scary how nobody even talks about him on this team. I know he's having a rough season but the analysts on NHL Network don't even really acknowledge him which is odd considering he is a top 3 pick. I hope all the doubt surrounding him right now doesn't have an effect on him mentally.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kind of scary how nobody even talks about him on this team. I know he's having a rough season but the analysts on NHL Network don't even really acknowledge him which is odd considering he is a top 3 pick. I hope all the doubt surrounding him right now doesn't have an effect on him mentally.

Yeah, I'm not sure the kid knows how to handle the pressure of being not only 3rd overall, but being the guy who was picked ahead of 'one of the three studs' that we had heard about all year last year and into the summer. Lots of pressure on him.

Watching Clayton Keller play makes me envious. If we didn't love JP, which is obvious that we didn't, maybe he would have been the right pick. I know WJC success doesn't mean any correlation to NHL success, but I really like his game and he's producing.

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Disagree, he looks fine to me. The goal he was right there for was such a bang-bang play, can't fault him for it. Been playing well along the walls and in the offensive zone.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
That's fine. I haven't seen him do one thing to impact the game and didn't even notice him on the ice for most of the first two periods.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Disagree, he looks fine to me. The goal he was right there for was such a bang-bang play, can't fault him for it. Been playing well along the walls and in the offensive zone.

What game are you watching? He has had ZERO impact on the game positive or negative. He should be having an effect on the game though, needs to be better.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He's playing horrible and being horribly misused by his coach. I just don't understand how some think he is playing good. Having a few checks is not playing good when you are supposed to be one of the best players in the WJC.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Haven't been overly impressed with him during this tournament.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
He looked better to me during Jackets training camp, especially the pre season games he played in.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
What game are you watching? He has had ZERO impact on the game positive or negative. He should be having an effect on the game though, needs to be better.

Calm down man. All I said is he looks fine to me. Never said he was taking over the game or anything.

People will disagree on things sometimes.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'm not mad, I'm disappointed in Dubois play thus far.

Canada is being outplayed. I'm just trying to look at what he's doing on the ice relative to the pro game, and it doesn't seem that bad. He puts himself in the right spots and works well along the boards. Passes well. He does seem slow, but not lazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad