P-L Dubois Part 2

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yes but I'm putting more of an emphasis on the procedural components of the decision.

It is important to have robust methods of scouting, assessing, and developing players that have been shown to be highly reliable and accurate. Since we as fans aren't privy to those processes, the only way to evaluate for us is hindsight judgment.

Is it better to be good or lucky? Well, to keep your job as a GM you need to be both. Otherwise you get replaced.

I am getting the players confused with which GM drafted them but it seems to me that Jarmo has a very good track record with quality guys from the later rounds. PLD was the top Canadian forward in his class..at least on our board

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I am getting the players confused with which GM drafted them but it seems to me that Jarmo has a very good track record with quality guys from the later rounds. PLD was the top Canadian forward in his class..at least on our board

It's too early to judge any of his draft picks IMO aside from Nutivaara. The fact that Nuti has already contributed something at the NHL level despite being a 7th round pick means the pick was a success. I'm also close to saying Wennberg was a success. Same for Dano since he was good value for the draft spot and helped land Saad.

For Werenski, he looks great but I want to see a few more seasons since defensemen are more difficult to assess.

Milano, Bjorkstrand, Rychel (via Harrington), and others are still a long way from defining their roles within the organization.

Thing is, just because Jarmo is good at drafting later rounds doesn't mean he is good at drafting top talents. The closest is 8th overall Werenski who was a good one IMO. But at the very top, there are a lot of factors at play. Later on you can draft for need, based on long-term projections, and take risks. Top-3, you have guys who have been known and scouted for years. You should go BPA but there is inherent bias and a potential for too much information or dissenting opinion. I would say that unless there is a clear cut gap in player talent at the top of the draft, it may be harder to get the guy who ends up truly being the best (Or 2nd best or 3rd best depending on your pick).

Last edited:

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Thing is, just because Jarmo is good at drafting later rounds doesn't mean he is good at drafting top talents. The closest is 8th overall Werenski who was a good one IMO. But at the very top, there are a lot of factors at play. Later on you can draft for need, based on long-term projections, and take risks. Top-3, you have guys who have been known and scouted for years. You should go BPA but there is inherent bias and a potential for too much information or dissenting opinion. I would say that unless there is a clear cut gap in player talent at the top of the draft, it may be harder to get the guy who ends up truly being the best (Or 2nd best or 3rd best depending on your pick).
I am hopeful that we will not be making a top-3 pick in the near future. Preferably, not for the next ten years or so.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It's too early to judge any of his draft picks IMO aside from Nutivaara. The fact that Nuti has already contributed something at the NHL level despite being a 7th round pick means the pick was a success. I'm also close to saying Wennberg was a success. Same for Dano since he was good value for the draft spot and helped land Saad.

Stenlund, Thurkauf?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Last year OB was penned in to the opening game lineup by most fans yet failed to make the roster out of camp. Meanwhile, Lukas Sedlak was on very few fans radar and he not only made the opening game roster but stuck all season as a regular on the fourth line as a solid contributor.

Determining whether PLD will make the opening game roster is a crapshoot at best.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Last year OB was penned in to the opening game lineup by most fans yet failed to make the roster out of camp. Meanwhile, Lukas Sedlak was on very few fans radar and he not only made the opening game roster but stuck all season as a regular on the fourth line as a solid contributor.

Determining whether PLD will make the opening game roster is a crapshoot at best.

I also think that there would be surprise to find out where Karlsson ranks in the team's center depth chart.

Near the end of the season, Torts and JD talked about both him and Wennberg as having another level to get to. I've always seen him as another Derek Mackenzie or a Mark Letestu type (#3/4 center with secondary offense and speed) but it seems they view him as a legitimate top-6 center in the future.

I would like to see PLD make it and take a big step next season, but there should be no assumption that he'll stick.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

To be fair, Bjorkstrand DID make the team out of camp. He just didn't stick.

https://www.nhl.com/video/atkinson-buries-folignos-dish/t-282615078/c-45259103

I'm pretty certain PLD is on the roster on opening night.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
To be fair, Bjorkstrand DID make the team out of camp. He just didn't stick.

https://www.nhl.com/video/atkinson-buries-folignos-dish/t-282615078/c-45259103

I'm pretty certain PLD is on the roster on opening night.

Plus Bjorkstrand had the AHL available to him so its wasnt a big deal. PLD is physically ready so I agree with you he will be on the opening night roster and unless he really doesnt look like he belongs in the 9 game trial or however long it is he will then be sent back. If I were a betting man however i would guess will will be watching him with the big boys next season

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He better be. Last one cut last year and said last year that he "had a good chance to win the Calder." Dubois better make the team if he doesn't want to look completely stupid.

Who cares if he looks stupid. If he's not ready, he's not ready. I just hope if he's not ready that he handles it correctly.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
11l7ina.jpg

lol.

Reactions: Lumbus

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio

They can have interest till their @ssholes bleed.
Nick Kypreos ( I think that’s who it is? ) is full of himself, or in other words, full of ****

Thanks for providing some humor to the thread though, man lol. We all needed a laugh after Friday’s game

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I noticed that but it has half-way through what he was saying. The part I did hear sounded like he was just talking to hear himself talk. Like they told him 2 mins before he was going on to have a "hot trade rumor."
Yeah if you watch the video it's more like "And i would like to spend a night with Angelina Jolie, i heard she's avaliable." kind of rumor..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If we were seriously interested in going all in we would have included PLD in Duchene talks at the start of the year. As far as we know, that didn't happen. We're not in "All in" mode, and PLD would command a huge huge huge piece to pry him out of Columbus.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If we were seriously interested in going all in we would have included PLD in Duchene talks at the start of the year. As far as we know, that didn't happen. We're not in "All in" mode, and PLD would command a huge huge huge piece to pry him out of Columbus.

The only way CBJ management can demonstrate they're all in is to trade our #1 prospect in our #1 position of need? That doesn't make sense to me, even if what they got back might have been an upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad