P-L Dubois Part 2

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If we were seriously interested in going all in we would have included PLD in Duchene talks at the start of the year. As far as we know, that didn't happen. We're not in "All in" mode, and PLD would command a huge huge huge piece to pry him out of Columbus.
Disagree. I give Jarmo kudos for his conviction in his 3OA and trading #1 picks that aren't busts have long termramifications.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The only way CBJ management can demonstrate they're all in is to trade our #1 prospect in our #1 position of need? That doesn't make sense to me, even if what they got back might have been an upgrade.

Yes. That's usually what happens when teams go all in. They trade futures, picks and top prospects, in order to win now (Pittsburgh adding Marian Hossa, etc) . You can still be a buyer without being all in (Blues adding Ryan Miller, etc). But the way Kypreos and others describe us as all in, I just don't see it. And I hope they aren't in that mode. The team isn't close.

Only if senior management was a bunch of idiots.

Well, it was just an example. If they felt they were all in, they would have gotten a deal done for Duchene or some other center. I really believe that.

Disagree. I give Jarmo kudos for his conviction in his 3OA and trading #1 picks that aren't busts have long termramifications.

Yes they do. But teams who go all in trade their top prospects all the time. I hope we're not in that group.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well, it was just an example. If they felt they were all in, they would have gotten a deal done for Duchene or some other center.

Don't deflect, it would have been idiotic to trade PLD for Duchene. You are making the assumption that there was some center worth "going all in on" available. Bad assumption. Duchene never was worth it.

As far as PLD goes, he seems to be coming along nicely. I've seen evidence to suggest that he can be a top six center for us for a long time.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Don't deflect, it would have been idiotic to trade PLD for Duchene. You are making the assumption that there was some center worth "going all in on" available. Bad assumption. Duchene never was worth it.

As far as PLD goes, he seems to be coming along nicely. I've seen evidence to suggest that he can be a top six center for us for a long time.

I'm not deflecting...? It was just an example. I think the CBJ wanted Duchene badly, just not enough to add in a PLD in addition to Murray and a pick. If the Jackets were in the mode of going for a cup this year, I think they would have at least heavily considered it. I think they want to win now, but they're not in all in mode. I agree, Duchene was and is not worth it. Evidently, the CBJ also agreed.

So with the bolded, are you saying that if there was or will be a center to go all in for, they would consider moving PLD for that center? Let's say, for instance, Tavares (signed). Because I hope they don't think that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
NYI will never trade Tavares within the division. And if he wants to try free agency, CBJ won't get him. But I doubt he does, the Isles are going to be fine with emerging of Barzal, Tavares will be stupid, if he leaves the team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Unless he goes to Florida!

If he goes to the Panthers, he'll end up spending as much as he saves on taxes on therapy.

And then he'll get transferred to Quebec and get a tax bite that makes New York's look like Florida's.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
If he goes to the Panthers, he'll end up spending as much as he saves on taxes on therapy.

And then he'll get transferred to Quebec and get a tax bite that makes New York's look like Florida's.
If goes to Panthers it means Barkov is free to join us!

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
haven't watched a lot of blue jackets but I should considering how deep the team is and I'm a fan of Jones + Werenski

anyways, how has PLD been this season? I get the sense that he's been under the radar for rookies.

Where would he rank in terms of overall impact amongst Jackets forwards?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
haven't watched a lot of blue jackets but I should considering how deep the team is and I'm a fan of Jones + Werenski

anyways, how has PLD been this season? I get the sense that he's been under the radar for rookies.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

PLD started off the year very slowly. He picked it up drastically when moved to a line centering Panarin and Andy. Lately his play hasn’t been as strong, but their line in general has been playing super poorly since New Years-ish. Josh, in particular.

He’s averaging just under 16 minutes TOI this season. Torts raves about Luc. He’s shown that he’s capable of handling first line duties, for the time being. He played 24 minutes against Florida earlier this month and that game didn’t even go to OT, so he’s more than capable of playing big minutes.

As far as point production goes, he has 2 goals and 5 points in his last 10 games. Would’ve had a goal against Dallas the other night if he would’ve got his stick on the ice in front of Bishop, he had a wide open net. Pierre’s vision is one of the things that has impressed me the most. Some of the passes he makes are passes that make you say, “is this ‘kid’ really a rookie?!” I think he’s still transition and still getting used to playing center. His faceoff numbers are well below average (41 percent on the season) but that’s expected.

I’m happy he’s a Jacket. He is too. You can tell that he loves playing for this team. He plays with a lot of passion. He’s a tremendous person to interview too. Extremely mature for his age. The best is yet to come for Luc. I think as time continues to pass, people are going to look back and realize that maybe Jarmo’s idea of taking PLD 3OA wasn’t so far fetched to begin with :) hope you enjoyed my take on #18!

Reactions: Ainec

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Okay, we’re 6 games into Luc’s Sophomore season.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on how he has been so far?

Stats thru 6 games:

1 goal.
2 assists.
3 points.
10 PIMs.
47% FO.
18:06 TOI.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Stats thru 6 games:

1 goal.
2 assists.
3 points.
10 PIMs.
47% FO.

There have been some wow moments where he’s looked like vintage Rick Nash carrying and protecting the puck, but there have also been moments where he looks a little in over his head.

It’s early, but I think he can put up 60 points this season if he plays consistent

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Stats thru 6 games:

1 goal.
2 assists.
3 points.
10 PIMs.
47% FO.

He's not handling the puck that well, time for Torts to give it to him again. He did have a sick feed to Panarin last night.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He's not handling the puck that well, time for Torts to give it to him again. He did have a sick feed to Panarin last night.

Yeah, I’ve thought so too. His puck handling has been below average so far. @CBJWennberg10 said that PLD may have a sophomore slump season, and I think he might be right judging by Luc’s play so far but there’s still plenty of season left.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, I’ve thought so too. His puck handling has been below average so far. @CBJWennberg10 said that PLD may have a sophomore slump season, and I think he might be right judging by Luc’s play so far but there’s still plenty of season left.

I'll judge Dubois' season after he plays it.

CBJWennberg has predicted 30 out of the last 10 sophomore slumps.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know it's been working but I want to see what Dubois does away from Panarin. It's going to happen so we might as well see what he can do.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It's hard to make of his season so far IMO.

I don't think he's playing that well, but his point total is respectable mostly due to playing with Panarin and Cam. However, he hasn't played poorly enough to warrant demotion off the line. He hasn't been an anchor to the line and seems to be doing fine defensively. I think he'll turn it around soon.

For the record, I don't recall saying he'd have a sophomore slump. I said I didn't expect him to have as good of a season as the last. That doesn't always mean its a sophomore slump ala Steve Mason, who was excellent and then pretty dreadful, but just a moderate step back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad