P-L Dubois Part 2

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by Samkow, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Die-hard CBJ fan.

Bus, dat you?

2. MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli Chex-to-Jax

I don't think he's close to earning a demotion and it would take a lot more games and poorer play to even consider it. And even if the thought crosses anyone's mind, who are you going to promote? Nash? Sedlak? Wennberg?

3. CBJWennberg10

CBJWennberg10 Nice Shootin' Tex

Hopefully we don't have to worry about it.

MoeBartoli likes this.
  4. thebus88

thebus88 19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"

Hilarious. Idk if this is because of my sarcastic comments made because of OTHERS claiming Atkinson (and subsequently Dubois) were "3rd liners" on the Panthers....

BUT, a VERY QUICK use of the search function gives up this exchange (and MANY OTHER "hilarious" comments regarding Dubois) just a year ago. It took me a while to get fully on the Dubois 'hype train' but I was there before many others and had to "defend" him on many occasions.

thebus88 said:

Dubois > Sedlak = Motte > Dalpe > Hannikainen

Milano and Schroeder are offensive "wildcards" that should go up and down depending on injuries IMO​
    -----------
    Yeah, as it stands right now.. I’d have to go Sedalk over PLD... overall from what I’ve saw watching the A and the NHL my ratings would go like this.
    Motte > Sedlak > Milano > Dubois > Dalpe > Hannikainen.​
    CBJSTH, Oct 31, 2017

---------

Even if there's a bit of a "sophomore slump", we shouldn't be complaining, as he's supposedly "grown" as a player quite a bit in a year, it seems, huh?

5. Palm Tree

You’re trying to expose me and it’s not gonna work. Wanna know why?

At the time of that post (Oct 31, 2017), PLD had played exactly 12 games. He had 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point, -3 in those 12 games. Not to mention just 13 SOG too.

So, I was wrong to show favor in Sedlak at the time because Dubois had about the slowest start a top 3 OA picked rookie could ever have to begin his NHL career?

Nice try, Bus.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  6. Palm Tree

Well well well.

Mr PLD is on pace for 70 points this season. 36 goals, 34 assists if he keeps up the point production at the rate he has been. 70 points would beat his rookie season by 22 points. PLD has almost half of the goals he had all season (20) in 62 less games.

So so so happy Jarmo had balls as big as the building to pick PLD over Poolparty.

7. CBJFan827

CBJFan827 I hate you Brad Marchand

I own it; I was wrong.

I really thought he wouldn't be outstanding production wise this year (definitely below the 60 many were saying), but he seems to be making things happen. Panarin and Cam as linemates help.

8. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub And that's why I always say, Shumshumschilpiddydah

Like I've said before, let's see what he does without Panarin. Not that I don't believe in him, but life is gonna be a lot harder for him without The breadman.

9. Palm Tree

As was I, so far. PLD is making me look like a fool with my previous comments in this thread lol. I’m happy to admit that.

10. LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!! Registered User

I just like him.. he has spunk, and watching him be interviewed he clearly is just a kid enjoying being in the NHL... When this kid actually matures physically he is going to be a hoss. Keep up the hard work PL you can lead this team, put them on your back!!

11. major major

major major Registered User

I think he already matured and is a hoss. Not a lot of room left to pack on more muscle.

Palm Tree likes this.
  12. SuperGenius

SuperGenius For Duty & Humanity!

Thank goodness someone said this. We almost had a positive turn to the thread.

thebus88, Viqsi and Jovavic like this.
  13. LetsGOJackets!!

PLD is getting better and better, and every time I hear him talk he speaks of being French Canadian and spending his summer in Montreal.. what a great city, with a history of great French Canadian hockey players. Glad his is on our team eh?

14. Goodbye Bread

Goodbye Bread What's In My Head?

Wow the first 22 pages of this thread are hilarious.

thebus88 and LetsGOJackets!! like this.
  15. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

I'll give credit where credit is due.

To the front office for sending him back to juniors for an additional year of seasoning. To Torts and his staff for their role in development and utilization. To the front office for drafting him over the players taken 4th and 5th in that draft.

To Dubinsky, Jenner and Wennberg for being so bad that Torts had to give PLD a long look as his first line center.

MoeBartoli and Jovavic like this.
  16. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

Well stated. I especially like the last sentence.

17. LetsGOJackets!!

Projected 70 point scorer as the top line centre at the age of 20-21, that is a pretty good projection Would I like to add Barkov and drop PL to the 2nd line of course I would. Why isn't Panarin pushing for that??

18. spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle ...so that happened.

Home Page:
    "Had to" give the 3rd pick a long look? That's what 3rd overall picks do. Had nothing to do with anyone else. Had 100% to do with Dubois being the right pick, the best player and right choice all along. If you didn't see it, that ain't on anyone else.

thebus88 likes this.
  19. CBJWennberg10

CBJWennberg10 Nice Shootin' Tex

That year down in the Q might have been the best thing to happen to him. He was pretty brutal his final junior year up until he got traded, including a dreadful WJC, and some prospects never recover from the beating he took the Canadian and hockey media that he got from their fans and other NHL fans during that year. PLD used it as motivation, made the NHL, and centered a top line less than a year after his struggles.

He still has a ways to go and I'm not going to sing the praises like others have (which is completely fair to do, I just think its too early still), but I am ecstatic for his long term potential, and I'm glad Jarmo and co made the pick they did.

20. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

Blue Jackets 2018-19 season preview: Pierre-Luc Dubois steps out on his own - Sports - Columbus Alive - Columbus, OH

21. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

Hardly.

He was sent to juniors for an extra year-unlike most 3OAs. Had Wennberg played up to what many thought would have been his potential, then it's unlikely that a rookie would have displaced him. In case you haven't noticed, Torts has a strong tendency to be very tough on young players. Mistakes are treated very harshly.

IIRC, there was plenty of debate about draft order after Matthews that year. It's also amusing as hell when people infer that they know so much about potential draft picks-draft picks which they've likely never seen play live. That they are even remotely qualified to make useful comparisons with other similar draft year players whom they haven't seen (or seen much of) is also pretty rich. That a player is "the right pick and the best choice" based on reading is well, silly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  22. Ruudukkopupuset

Ruudukkopupuset Registered User

Wennberg created those absurd NHL expectations through his strong play already in his rookie season in a line with another rookie? Or from where did this madness sprung from? Anything on Wennberg's previous career did not suggest that he is some mysterious number one center (or even top scoring centreman) or that he was drafted by the Blue Jackets as one. Hell, anyone involved in Sweden's ice hockey surely isn't thinking that Wennberg has not reached his potential. They are thinking that he is doing very well, better than anyone expected.

Wennberg is currently a 1.00 PPG centreman (in eight games) at the highest level imaginable, the World Championship tournaments. Dubinsky was at 1.3 ppg in his ten heyday games a decade ago. Dubois features at 0.78 ppg in nine games.

23. spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle ...so that happened.

Home Page:
  24. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

Was he currently playing better than everyone before getting the opportunity?

Look, I support your position on PLD being a third-overall pick and playing like one and it shouldn't be a surprise. All of that is fair and accurate, IMO. But nothing he did his first camp or early last season indicated he was about to do what he did at that time.

25. Viqsi

Viqsi where we're going we don't need draft picks

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    I don't get to point and laugh at my earlier posts because this is Part 2, not Part 1. But I'm nonetheless feeling pretty good right now about my "the last time we went off the board to pick a C with a high pick it worked out pretty well" bit. :nod: