P-L Dubois Part 2

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's hard to make of his season so far IMO.

I don't think he's playing that well, but his point total is respectable mostly due to playing with Panarin and Cam. However, he hasn't played poorly enough to warrant demotion off the line. He hasn't been an anchor to the line and seems to be doing fine defensively. I think he'll turn it around soon.

For the record, I don't recall saying he'd have a sophomore slump. I said I didn't expect him to have as good of a season as the last. That doesn't always mean its a sophomore slump ala Steve Mason, who was excellent and then pretty dreadful, but just a moderate step back.
I don't think he's close to earning a demotion and it would take a lot more games and poorer play to even consider it. And even if the thought crosses anyone's mind, who are you going to promote? Nash? Sedlak? Wennberg?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think he's close to earning a demotion and it would take a lot more games and poorer play to even consider it. And even if the thought crosses anyone's mind, who are you going to promote? Nash? Sedlak? Wennberg?

Hopefully we don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bus, dat you?

Hilarious. Idk if this is because of my sarcastic comments made because of OTHERS claiming Atkinson (and subsequently Dubois) were "3rd liners" on the Panthers....

BUT, a VERY QUICK use of the search function gives up this exchange (and MANY OTHER "hilarious" comments regarding Dubois) just a year ago. It took me a while to get fully on the Dubois 'hype train' but I was there before many others and had to "defend" him on many occasions.

thebus88 said:

Dubois > Sedlak = Motte > Dalpe > Hannikainen

Milano and Schroeder are offensive "wildcards" that should go up and down depending on injuries IMO​
-----------
Yeah, as it stands right now.. I’d have to go Sedalk over PLD... overall from what I’ve saw watching the A and the NHL my ratings would go like this.
Motte > Sedlak > Milano > Dubois > Dalpe > Hannikainen.​
CBJSTH, Oct 31, 2017

---------

Even if there's a bit of a "sophomore slump", we shouldn't be complaining, as he's supposedly "grown" as a player quite a bit in a year, it seems, huh?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Hilarious. Idk if this is because of my sarcastic comments made because of OTHERS claiming Atkinson (and subsequently Dubois) were "3rd liners" on the Panthers....

BUT, a VERY QUICK use of the search function gives up this exchange (and MANY OTHER "hilarious" comments regarding Dubois) just a year ago. It took me a while to get fully on the Dubois 'hype train' but I was there before many others and had to "defend" him on many occasions.

thebus88 said:

Dubois > Sedlak = Motte > Dalpe > Hannikainen

Milano and Schroeder are offensive "wildcards" that should go up and down depending on injuries IMO​
-----------
Yeah, as it stands right now.. I’d have to go Sedalk over PLD... overall from what I’ve saw watching the A and the NHL my ratings would go like this.
Motte > Sedlak > Milano > Dubois > Dalpe > Hannikainen.​
CBJSTH, Oct 31, 2017

---------

Even if there's a bit of a "sophomore slump", we shouldn't be complaining, as he's supposedly "grown" as a player quite a bit in a year, it seems, huh?

You’re trying to expose me and it’s not gonna work. Wanna know why?

At the time of that post (Oct 31, 2017), PLD had played exactly 12 games. He had 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point, -3 in those 12 games. Not to mention just 13 SOG too.

So, I was wrong to show favor in Sedlak at the time because Dubois had about the slowest start a top 3 OA picked rookie could ever have to begin his NHL career?

Nice try, Bus.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Well well well.

Mr PLD is on pace for 70 points this season. 36 goals, 34 assists if he keeps up the point production at the rate he has been. 70 points would beat his rookie season by 22 points. PLD has almost half of the goals he had all season (20) in 62 less games.

So so so happy Jarmo had balls as big as the building to pick PLD over Poolparty.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I own it; I was wrong.

I really thought he wouldn't be outstanding production wise this year (definitely below the 60 many were saying), but he seems to be making things happen. Panarin and Cam as linemates help.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I own it; I was wrong.

I really thought he wouldn't be outstanding production wise this year (definitely below the 60 many were saying), but he seems to be making things happen. Panarin and Cam as linemates help.

As was I, so far. PLD is making me look like a fool with my previous comments in this thread lol. I’m happy to admit that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I just like him.. he has spunk, and watching him be interviewed he clearly is just a kid enjoying being in the NHL... When this kid actually matures physically he is going to be a hoss. Keep up the hard work PL you can lead this team, put them on your back!!

I think he already matured and is a hoss. Not a lot of room left to pack on more muscle.

Reactions: Palm Tree

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Why do we need a "french connection" and why do cbj fans need to learn about Canadian hockey players? Lets hope he becomes a great player that makes history for us that people can learn about him and the jackets and not worry about that other stuff. Also I consider PLD American anyways he's dual citizen.

Oh we agree on wanting to win.. I'm hoping PLD models his game at centre after Vinny or Mario. I'm from Chicago what the hell do I know eh?

Maurice Richard, Yvan Cornoyer, Guy Lefleur.. like Cam Atkinson on steroids - they were all Cam size, but were deadly snipers. PLD is significantly bigger than all of them, and cannot be as fast.

PLD is getting better and better, and every time I hear him talk he speaks of being French Canadian and spending his summer in Montreal.. what a great city, with a history of great French Canadian hockey players. Glad his is on our team eh?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'll give credit where credit is due.

To the front office for sending him back to juniors for an additional year of seasoning. To Torts and his staff for their role in development and utilization. To the front office for drafting him over the players taken 4th and 5th in that draft.

To Dubinsky, Jenner and Wennberg for being so bad that Torts had to give PLD a long look as his first line center.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

To the front office for sending him back to juniors for an additional year of seasoning. To Torts and his staff for their role in development and utilization. To the front office for drafting him over the players taken 4th and 5th in that draft.

To Dubinsky, Jenner and Wennberg for being so bad that Torts had to give PLD a long look as his first line center.

Well stated. I especially like the last sentence.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Projected 70 point scorer as the top line centre at the age of 20-21, that is a pretty good projection Would I like to add Barkov and drop PL to the 2nd line of course I would. Why isn't Panarin pushing for that??

Mar 1, 2002

"Had to" give the 3rd pick a long look? That's what 3rd overall picks do. Had nothing to do with anyone else. Had 100% to do with Dubois being the right pick, the best player and right choice all along. If you didn't see it, that ain't on anyone else.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

That year down in the Q might have been the best thing to happen to him. He was pretty brutal his final junior year up until he got traded, including a dreadful WJC, and some prospects never recover from the beating he took the Canadian and hockey media that he got from their fans and other NHL fans during that year. PLD used it as motivation, made the NHL, and centered a top line less than a year after his struggles.

He still has a ways to go and I'm not going to sing the praises like others have (which is completely fair to do, I just think its too early still), but I am ecstatic for his long term potential, and I'm glad Jarmo and co made the pick they did.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
"Had to" give the 3rd pick a long look? That's what 3rd overall picks do. Had nothing to do with anyone else. Had 100% to do with Dubois being the right pick, the best player and right choice all along. If you didn't see it, that ain't on anyone else.

“We were planning to bring him along slowly, but we had some things with other players not go the way we hoped, and so he gets the opportunity and he just takes off.”
John Tortorella

Blue Jackets 2018-19 season preview: Pierre-Luc Dubois steps out on his own - Sports - Columbus Alive - Columbus, OH

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hardly.

He was sent to juniors for an extra year-unlike most 3OAs. Had Wennberg played up to what many thought would have been his potential, then it's unlikely that a rookie would have displaced him. In case you haven't noticed, Torts has a strong tendency to be very tough on young players. Mistakes are treated very harshly.

IIRC, there was plenty of debate about draft order after Matthews that year. It's also amusing as hell when people infer that they know so much about potential draft picks-draft picks which they've likely never seen play live. That they are even remotely qualified to make useful comparisons with other similar draft year players whom they haven't seen (or seen much of) is also pretty rich. That a player is "the right pick and the best choice" based on reading is well, silly.

Last edited:

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Hardly.

He was sent to juniors for an extra year-unlike most 3OAs. Had Wennberg played up to what many thought would have been his potential, then it's unlikely that a rookie would have displaced him. In case you haven't noticed, Torts has a strong tendency to be very tough on young players. Mistakes are treated very harshly.

Wennberg created those absurd NHL expectations through his strong play already in his rookie season in a line with another rookie? Or from where did this madness sprung from? Anything on Wennberg's previous career did not suggest that he is some mysterious number one center (or even top scoring centreman) or that he was drafted by the Blue Jackets as one. Hell, anyone involved in Sweden's ice hockey surely isn't thinking that Wennberg has not reached his potential. They are thinking that he is doing very well, better than anyone expected.

Wennberg is currently a 1.00 PPG centreman (in eight games) at the highest level imaginable, the World Championship tournaments. Dubinsky was at 1.3 ppg in his ten heyday games a decade ago. Dubois features at 0.78 ppg in nine games.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He was clearly better than everyone, regardless of everyone else.

Was he currently playing better than everyone before getting the opportunity?

Look, I support your position on PLD being a third-overall pick and playing like one and it shouldn't be a surprise. All of that is fair and accurate, IMO. But nothing he did his first camp or early last season indicated he was about to do what he did at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->