P.K. Subban Thread 10.0 : 'Is today the day?' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't want just a net positive. I want the net positive to be maximized. It is not as much as it could be if he reduces the penalties taken. If he only had 40 PIMs, the benefit would be even greater.
If he didn't play that style, he wouldn't draw the penalties he does. And we get the benefit of more PPs.

I'm sure his PMs will decrease as he gets older but it's not really that bad man.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't want just a net positive. I want the net positive to be maximized. It is not as much as it could be if he reduces the penalties taken. If he only had 40 PIMs, the benefit would be even greater.

You said the guy is undisciplined. Well, despite that ''issue'' he still draws more penalties than he takes. So his discipline ''issue'' isn't a big thing. Something to work on, but not really an issue.
Also, maybe if you didn't have to play him up to 30min a night versus top opponents, he wouldn't have to take those penalties.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Listen I'm not going to argue figures because quite frankly no one really knows what they are and the exercise is futile. My original point was the Phaneuf-Subban comparison, and how taking the bridge route can be seen as not only fair but prudent.

Sure, if you let the case of 1 random player dictate your decision, but as I pointed out there are probably more instances of it working out. (Skinner, Bolland, Hall, Eberle, Doughty, Karlsson, Hjalmarsson, Toews, Kane & Kane, Hedman, Carlsson, etc)

Either way, neither cases as common or rare as they are, should really influence this particular decision. If you think the talent is there, you should probably take a chance and lock it up. I know I would.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Just got home, a local Halifax radio station, 95.7, is talking about a Pĸ to Flyers for Braydon Schenn and Talbot, anybody hear this, sorry if its someplace else.

Last edited:

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I'm of the belief MB is NOT going to let PK go. And any offer will be matched unless it's an offer that that yields us multiple 1sts.

We're playing a season, and there's always room for improvement. If there's no progress being made between the two and it's made official. I don't see MB keeping PK around for nothing when he can try to improve the team.

And if we do get multiple 1st, great. But that doesn't guarantee we'll be able to replace Subban with them. People say that Beaulieu is a comparable player to PK. But we don't know if he'll ever make it here, and if he does, how he'll be compared to PK. Meanwhile, you've got a proven #1-2 D that you could lock up. I'd rather keep PK over picks. That's way safer.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
well good to see that that rumor changed from Luke to Brayden. :laugh:

Agreed. That's the best rumour upgrade today. :laugh:

And if we do get multiple 1st, great. But that doesn't guarantee we'll be able to replace Subban with them. People say that Beaulieu is a comparable player to PK. But we don't know if he'll ever make it here, and if he does, how he'll be compared to PK. Meanwhile, you've got a proven #1-2 D that you could lock up. I'd rather keep PK over picks. That's way safer.

Yes but...what about the mystery box?

What's in the mystery box?!?!?!

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

The problem is, a lot of the penalties he takes come from the same style that's also drawing penalties. It's something he can improve, and hopefully he learns to pick his battles as he gets older.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
If MB is truly offering 2 years at roughly $2.5 million a season, that is a LOW offer!

Subban is going to be a elite talent, he's played like a #1 Dman since Markov was out!

I hope that MB comes to his senses at gives him at LEAST 3 years at 3 million per.

His market value is a lot higher that $2.5 per year. Dear lord that is CRAZY!

If he is forced to take this deal and continues to develop; I would HATE to lose him when he becomes a UFA because it leaves a bad taste in his mouth!:shakehead

Davebo*

Yeah - trade him to the flyers. Then watch PK cripple Markov with a big hit.

We need PK for insurance in case Markov goes down. Trading him would be foolish - certainly don't trade him to an eastern team ffs....

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Why would you take that when you've seen Hedman and Carlson get more for longer?

What if you tear your ACL? What if you have concussion issues? What if, what if, what if?

It's either big money over 2 years (4.5-5 per), or slightly less on the long-term if I'm PK. And if I'm negotiating it, I'm asking for even more. The position of Bergevin in this is just mind blowing and self-destructively hard-lined.

Probably whittling away all of the good graces PK had for Montreal.

You take a lower deal because you are not in a position of power when you are RFA. If you get offered something big long term, than you take it. Simple. PK got 7 goals last year. Big deal. If he scored 20 things would be different. He also lead one of the worst power plays in the league. He's a great young player but he did not accomplish that much. The issue is that he believes he did.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Listen I'm not going to argue figures because quite frankly no one really knows what they are and the exercise is futile. My original point was the Phaneuf-Subban comparison, and how taking the bridge route can be seen as not only fair but prudent. Granted of course the figure is around 3.5 to 4M

Anyone would take Phaneuf at 4 year, 4 mil per, just like anyone SHOULD take PK at that money.

The Phaneuf comparison is useless, that wasn't a long term RFA deal, that was stupid money.

Good teams get value by ignoring the bridge and locking up RFAs, like MB should do now.

6 year, 24 mil, done.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Yes but...what about the mystery box?

What's in the mystery box?!?!?!

caerbannogisnothebestplacesfornecksp1.gif

Killer rabbit! We could unleash it on the Bruins. Just look at the bones!

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
If MB is truly offering 2 years at roughly $2.5 million a season, that is a LOW offer!

Subban is going to be a elite talent, he's played like a #1 Dman since Markov was out!

I hope that MB comes to his senses at gives him at LEAST 3 years at 3 million per.

His market value is a lot higher that $2.5 per year. Dear lord that is CRAZY!

If he is forced to take this deal and continues to develop; I would HATE to lose him when he becomes a UFA because it leaves a bad taste in his mouth!:shakehead

He'll get more than 2.5M a year if he's willing to take a bridge contract.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone would take Phaneuf at 4 year, 4 mil per, just like anyone SHOULD take PK at that money.

The Phaneuf comparison is useless, that wasn't a long term RFA deal, that was stupid money.

Good teams get value by ignoring the bridge and locking up RFAs, like MB should do now.

6 year, 24 mil, done.
If PK would take that, it would be awesome. I don't think he would but...

BobbyFischer*

Brayden Schenn and Talbot would be nice additions.

I know Therrien loved Talbot in Pittsburgh.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010

6 year, 24 mil, done.

6 Years 24M would be great. Doubt this happens though.

PricePkPatch*

caerbannogisnothebestplacesfornecksp1.gif

Killer rabbit! We could unleash it on the Bruins. Just look at the bones!

So... a Diminutive being who rushes at you before you notice and attack at the throat?

Gallagher is already in our lineup guys...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

6 year, 24 mil, done.

As in gobias some coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad