P.K. Subban Thread 10.0 : 'Is today the day?' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Sounds interesting but if something would happen to Markov, were skrewed. I would be sick to have scheen and galchenyuk as are top 2 centers. Plekanec is getting older and desharnais is just mehhh, so the deal does make sense.

even if markov doesnt get injured the habs are gonna need an elite offensive to d man to fill that roll in the future.ellis?beaulieu?from what i ve seen so far they wont come close to being able to fill that role.#1 d men dont come around very often,maybe once every 10 years?bergevin is getting some bad advice or he is a complete moron.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
they brought that up too then one guy mentions how burke traded with boston. i dont want to trade with toronto. theres no one there i want but boston have a lot of interesting guys. i think you would have to pull off a one sided deal but it could be good if montreal got hamilton and a forward.

Sure, nothing technically stops us from trading to rivals. But the reason it's rare is that teams don't want to have to face their old players, so often.

Sure, Boston has plenty of interesting things. But I don't want PK there. Doubt they get rid of their forwards. And I'm not really tempted to take my chances with a fresh rookie. Nope.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Apparently Detroit, Philly, and NY Rangers are trying hard to get PK.

I really don't want another Leclair-Desjardin mistake. Detroit has no upcoming stars we are interested.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Agreed. All contracts have their risks. At some point, you have to take a chance in order to get some players. Sometimes it works, other times, not so much. But if you don't ever make a move, you'll always come out empty handed.

This was the exact same thought process that Gainey used (with the advice of Gauthier) to sign Gomez.

Hell, its just money and if it works, it works and if it doesnt, well, its just money.

Meanwhile, the Habs paid dearly for that approach.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
How do the Rangers still have cap room?

Nothing would be worse than seeing Subban and McDonagh play together for the Rags. If Bergevin even thinks about that he should be fired on the spot.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
This was the exact same thought process that Gainey used (with the advice of Gauthier) to sign Gomez.

Hell, its just money and if it works, it works and if it doesnt, well, its just money.

wrong.this is a completely different scenario than gomez.pk is worth 4 mil per right now.that is market value.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I really don't want another Leclair-Desjardin mistake. Detroit has no upcoming stars we are interested.

Not that I want PK traded but if it came down to that what would be good returns from these 3 teams for PK?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

That was also the exact same approach used in every signing. The Rangers did it with Gomez - struck out, and found a sucker to free them of the burden, and then went ahead and did it again with Gaborik and Richards.

If you want quality, you got to pay for it, and that includes paying for the risk. Bergevin took the same risk when he signed Prust, so no, it's not a Gainey or Gauthier thing.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Not that I want PK traded but if it came down to that what would be good returns from these 3 teams for PK?

we would need a top 2 d man back.prefferably one who can run a powerplay ,play physical,stand up for his team,and be a leader for the next 10 + years.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

WOW!

First of all, Gainey didn't sign Gomez, he traded for him. Second of all, he was brought in as a condition to sign Gionta and Cammalleri. Third of all, NYR were the ones to sign Gomez to that horrendous contract. Gomez was playing great, won the cup. While it's big money, at the time, it seemed arguably fair in order to get a good experienced player.

All that said, NYR took too much of a big gamble. Their deal could have potentially crippled them, and it did for a while, until we traded for Gomez.

Now, for Subban, it's been confirmed that he isn't asking for Drew doughty money. So he's probably asking, 4mill or 5 mill per year? While it is a big amount, it's very reasonable and bearable. Unlike Gomez' contract. Plus, PK seems to have also agreed to go shorter term. So if things don't work out, well, it's not as damaging. Again, unlike Gomez' contract.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

Well, I don't want to see Subban playing anywhere else, but if it had to happen, Detroit is a pretty safe place. And a good one for PK.

Also, I think they do have one thing going for them, which is basically in quantity. I don't know what pieces we'd be talking about, but they have a good young D in Smith right at the NHL level, some good prospects on D like Ouellet and Sproul, and a bunch of good forward prospects like Nyqvist and Jurco... plus goalies like Paterson and Mrazek. So even if there is no single clear asset that stands out (although I'd still argue for Smith even there), they have quantity that might be hard to beat if they really wanted to make a play.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

Detroit has a lot of nice young players. Smith, Ouellet, Nyquist, Tatar... likely three quarters for a dollar, but if Bergevin takes this silliness to it's conclusion, I could see Detroit being the highest bidder. Or at least matching the highest bid, and winning by virtue of offering young dmen and being in the other conference.

Well, I don't want to see Subban playing anywhere else, but if it had to happen, Detroit is a pretty safe place. And a good one for PK.

Also, I think they do have one thing going for them, which is basically in quantity. I don't know what pieces we'd be talking about, but they have a good young D in Smith right at the NHL level, some good prospects on D like Ouellet and Sproul, and a bunch of good forward prospects like Nyqvist and Jurco... plus goalies like Paterson and Mrazek. So even if there is no single clear asset that stands out (although I'd still argue for Smith even there), they have quantity that might be hard to beat if they really wanted to make a play.

Oops, beat me to it. Forgot about Jurco, very nice prospect. Jarnkrok is decent too.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Hate to see it but if it comes down to this, getting back McDo wouldn't be too bad.

mcdo is a top 4 .we'd need more than that.plus he's coming off an elc too.bergevin gonna treat him the same way?or is he gonna need to see more out of him befor the team commits?

68*

"Losers find excuses, Winners find solutions"
- Marc Bergevin 24CH 2013

No excuses, find a solution you noob.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Hate to see it but if it comes down to this, getting back McDo wouldn't be too bad.

The Rags aren't trading McD for Subban. They are roughly on the same level right now, Subban has more offensive upside, McD might be "safer", but they love him there and make a big deal out of their American players.

Trading Subban because we can't get over McDonagh is like cutting off the right hand to save your left hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad