P.K. Subban Thread 10.0 : 'Is today the day?' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
bergevin needs to spend less time coloring his hair and more time focusing on his job.gauthier has to be laughing his ass off in chicago right now.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Surprised we haven't heard anything yet today, should've had plenty of time to make a decision by now. C'mon PK, be a sport and sign up.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
By trading Halak, Price was then the number1 goalie. PK's just off playing 23-24mins game average in a team that finished 15th. I would give PK 3M$ a year for 2 years. Taking that the league's cap will be lowered and that he will be getting 3M$ next year with no contract adjustments I think it's a fair deal.

Price showed that he had great potential although the playoffs were harsher on him, but the fact of the matter is that PK shows just about the same amount of potential. Yes he had a good ( not incredible ) season last year, I just don't see where him being much better off than Price and him getting a 4M$ plus contract.

Yes. BUT, Halak was the number one for the entire season and playoffs. If anything, after all that, Halak could have easily been re-signed and Price traded. Instead, we put a huge level of trust in Price. That does make Price the #1 goalie. But we gave it to him, he didn't exactly earn it when you take the results of that season.

So, Price owed us big time. If Price had started being difficult, the city would have chased him out of town faster than any player, ever. And he give himself a very bad name for his acting this way after the organization gave him such a huge vote of confidence. Price simply could not have asked for more on his contract.

Meanwhile, PK was being used on the top pairing, on the PK, the PP, playing top minutes against opposing teams' best players. Has amongst the most TOI in the league. Is physical. Scores points to place him 30th fro defensemen his first season and 28th last year. Yes, Pk has still much to learn, such as taking less dumb penalties and avoiding turnovers. But for a young man who only played 2 seasons and 2 playoffs. A lot was asked of him, more than was is required from most rookies and he delivered, considering how bad the team has been.

So, yes, Price's situation is very different from PK's.

Now if you suggest that PK should accept a bridge contract, and be promised a big extension during the season. That's something very different. But PK has proven himself and has much more to offer. He is definitely in a much better position to negotiate than Price and Patches.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
10 ****ing threads. :laugh:

Just get it done. 1 year, 2 years...long-term...just get it done already.

Agreed...still don't want to see a long term BIG mmoney deal.
If it's long term it should be around 4-4.5 mil per season
If it's a 2 year deal it should be 3-3.5 mil per season

In the end it's not my money.....

If they trade PK, they better get overpayment for him.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Agreed...still don't want to see a long term BIG mmoney deal.
If it's long term it should be around 4-4.5 mil per season
If it's a 2 year deal it should be 3-3.5 mil per season

In the end it's not my money.....

If they trade PK, they better get overpayment for him.

You are aware that getting less money on a shorter term deal makes no sense, right?

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Fallowing the logic on basing his contract solely on last year's performance... Let's say DD was the one on the negotiating table and he would be sitting until he got his contract. Some people here would be saying let's give him 4M$ a year. The reality is that PK showed great promise and some positive stats ( just as DD did ) +/- @+10. But those two player have not yet reached their full potential and there is no guarantee that PK will come out having even better numbers this year than last year's he could have a terrible season. There's no way to tell since he only played 2 full seasons in the NHL, that's why MB wants him to get a bridge contract.

In PK's position I'd take a min 2 years @ 2.75M$ contract then play my best knowing that in about a year from now I'd be negotiating for a top $ contract much better than the one I'm trying to get now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Are players not allowed to sign 1 year deals on their 2nd contract or something? You'll forgive me if it was mentioned in one of the 9 threads and I missed it.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Fallowing the logic on basing his contract solely on last year's performance... Let's say DD was the one on the negotiating table and he would be sitting until he got his contract. Some people here would be saying let's give him 4M$ a year. The reality is that PK showed great promise and some positive stats ( just as DD did ) +/- @+10. But those two player have not yet reached their full potential and there is no guarantee that PK will come out having even better numbers this year than last year's he could have a terrible season. There's no way to tell since he only played 2 full seasons in the NHL, that's why MB wants him to get a bridge contract.

In PK's position I'd take a min 2 years @ 2.75M$ contract then play my best knowing that in about a year from now I'd be negotiating for a top $ contract much better than the one I'm trying to get now.

Why would you take that when you've seen Hedman and Carlson get more for longer?

What if you tear your ACL? What if you have concussion issues? What if, what if, what if?

It's either big money over 2 years (4.5-5 per), or slightly less on the long-term if I'm PK. And if I'm negotiating it, I'm asking for even more. The position of Bergevin in this is just mind blowing and self-destructively hard-lined.

Probably whittling away all of the good graces PK had for Montreal.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Reposting this as the attention ***** that I am:

34j8vpg.jpg

Especially if today's the day ;)

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Are players not allowed to sign 1 year deals on their 2nd contract or something? You'll forgive me if it was mentioned in one of the 9 threads and I missed it.

They are but PK is not trying to sign his 2nd contract and signing a 1 yr deal would just make him go back to the table in 3-4 months from now.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Make him sign a 1 game contract, if he scores he gets to choose what the contract is, if he doesn't score Bergevins offer stands. :sarcasm:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Habs don't have to trade Subban at all. MB can just let him stew all this year and next, and then trade him weeks before Subban becomes a free agent.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Habs don't have to trade Subban at all. MB can just let him stew all this year and next, and then trade him weeks before Subban becomes a free agent.

That would send such a bad message on how we treat our players...

skule123

Mar 24, 2008
We should have just collected a nickel for every post in the history of this 10 thread lineage, and we could pay PK exactly what he opened asking for and maybe Gally^2's share of the rookie dinner at Moishe's, too.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

Thing is, people aren't just evaluating PK's performances from last year...

While giving 5mil for 8 years (as an example) would be much and risky for the reasons you point out. Could work great, or bad. All contracts are a risk. Giving 4 or 5 mill per year for 2 years isn't a huge issue. Especially since we'll probably be buying out Kaberle's contract. Plus, there aren't many legit blueliners to acquire on the market. On the flip side, losing PK would put us in a position where we need to replace him.

Desharnais had a good and short first season. Last year, he played great. He could very much ask for 4-5mill per season. He plays on the first line and has set up Patches and Cole many times.

Giving a 4 or 5 mill/per for 2 years seems like an ok move fr a brridge contract. If things don't work out, well the contract is short.

Also, following your logic, Towes and Kane should have signed 3 mill a year bridge contracts because, even though they had great first seasons, nobody knows how they'll turn out long term.

No, PK Subban is neither of these players. But bottom line is, the team is a much better team with PK in it. And he's proven himself to step up to what ever we've asked of him in the last 2 seasons. So, yes, PK is in a position to ask for a better contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad