Speculation: Ownership Saga: The Great Gosbee Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Went to a magic 8 ball site & asked:

Will the NHL Coyotes play their home games next season in Arizona?

Got
Reply hazy, try again
so I tried again
got 'ask again later'

but hey I figure, at least it didn't say 'ask again in 2 weeks'!

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
per the I ching on line, question was Will the phoenix coyotes hock team stay in Az.
Cast Hexagram:

57 - Fifty-Seven
Sun / The Penetrating Wind

Wind follows upon wind, wandering the earth, penetrating gently but persistently:
The Superior Person expands his influence by reaffirming his decisions and carrying out his promises.

Small, persistent, focused effort brings success.
Seek advice from someone you respect.

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

Gentle persuasion is the key in this instance.
Though the words are soft, their speaker must be firm, calm and confident.
Gentle words are worthless if spoken with trepidation.
Wordless influence by example is also effective in this situation.
All persuasion should be almost unfelt, yet consistent and persistent.
Ask for feedback from someone you know to be an effective persuader.
http://ichingonline.net/rw3/1781836... phoenix coyotes hockey team stay in Arizona
take it for what its worth.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
per the I ching on line, question was Will the phoenix coyotes hock team stay in Az.
Cast Hexagram:

57 - Fifty-Seven

Wind follows upon wind, wandering the earth, penetrating gently but persistently:
The Superior Person expands his influence by reaffirming his decisions and carrying out his promises.

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

http://ichingonline.net/rw3/1781836... phoenix coyotes hockey team stay in Arizona

So in other words, they are asking you to ask someone else because they have no idea. :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Quote from City of Glendale Counci Workshop Agenda May21, 2013–1:30p.m

http://www.glendaleaz.com/clerk/agendasandminutes/Workshops/Agendas/052113.pdf

''Discussion and consultation with City Attorney and City Manager to receive update, consider its position and provide instruction and direction to the City Attorney and City Manager regarding Glendale's position in connection with agreements associated with arena management, the Arena and the Hockey Team, wich are subject of negotiations.''

Proof that they haven't simply forgotten all about it. I was at least a little worried that they may have.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I don't believe pretending to want to purchase the team gains him anything.

You'd think that, but yet it keeps happening with guys. The NHL has the honor of having actually sold the Islanders to a literal conman with no cash assets

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Proof that they haven't simply forgotten all about it. I was at least a little worried that they may have.

Well, they have until May 24th to exercise their right to operate under the current AMULA for next year, right? So we will have a major puzzle piece fall into place by then.

I wonder if Seattle was ever in this. Do the math, and it's far better than QC. But nobody on the outside knew the Maloofs would cave so easily, making Stern's powerplay feasible. The NBA league office certainly had the right read on the situation. That arena was going to be amazing for hockey, and the market has potential. A shame to see their hopes shot down for what seems like a long time.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Mostly quiet on Coyotes ownership front
CRAIG MORGAN Published: Friday, May 17, 2013, 7:12p

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl...es-ownership-front?blockID=903353&feedID=9050

Here's just some of the highlights of the article:

RENAISSANCE SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT

This is the group headed by George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc, which has been viewed as the leading group for several weeks.

RSE's lawyers (Shearman & Sterling) and the NHL's lawyers (Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom) are currently in discussion, and those discussions are expected to continue over the weekend in New York. Given the sheer amount of paperwork there is to review, the legal process will apparently drag into next week.

DARIN PASTOR

After its initial deal was rejected in part because it financed the sale over 15 years, Pastor’s group finished reworking its bid on Wednesday night to reflect a shorter timeline (although not within the three-to-five-year window that the NHL is believed to want).

Pastor’s group has yet to submit the bid while it waits to see what other groups submit – and whether those other bids fall within the guidelines the NHL reportedly wants.

CITY OF GLENDALE

“From my conversations with Anthony (LeBlanc) and others, he’s looking for something in the $14 million to $15 million range. So how can we bridge that gap when we can’t go much more than the $6 million that is on the books?

“Where you start is looking at various revenue streams,†Sherwood added, citing several examples such as parking, a stadium taxing district, suite sales and naming rights, which will be up for bid soon since Jobing.com paid $25M in 2006 for 10 years of rights. “I believe we have some talking points, where we can begin with LeBlanc, that could lead to a deal.â

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
What's surprising is Pastor's bid required only 8 million from Glendale. You would think Glendale would fight more for Pastor to be involved. As noted, Pastor has reworked his deal but hasn't submitted it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What's surprising is Pastor's bid required only 8 million from Glendale. You would think Glendale would fight more for Pastor to be involved. As noted, Pastor has reworked his deal but hasn't submitted it.

Actually, according to media reports, Pastor's bid was $8 million or 5% lower than the lowest competing bid (http://www.hotboxsports.com/NHL/article/23764). So, if Gosbee et al. are asking for $15 million, Pastor would be asking for $14.25 million. If Gosbee is disqualified by the NHL, then presumably Pastor would go for $8 million. So basically Pastor is hoping to leverage the COG's support to oust Gosbee's bid, which makes sense since it would seem that the NHL prefers Gosbee.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Actually, according to media reports, Pastor's bid was $8 million or 5% lower than the lowest competing bid (http://www.hotboxsports.com/NHL/article/23764). So, if Gosbee et al. are asking for $15 million, Pastor would be asking for $14.25 million. If Gosbee is disqualified by the NHL, then presumably Pastor would go for $8 million. So basically Pastor is hoping to leverage the COG's support to oust Gosbee's bid, which makes sense since it would seem that the NHL prefers Gosbee.

Thank you for the more accurate info here. Still, none of this changes my stance that only if and when the actual sale is completed to a local owner will I believe any of these people are for real as talk is cheap.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Until we are not owned by the NHL, the NHL is our owner, along with all of its budget constraints. I hope that whoever buys the team can significantly increase spending on players. I still think that this will hit a wall somewhere along the line and fall apart. Hope I'm wrong.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Cast Hexagram:

57 - Fifty-Seven

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

wat.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I can see Glendale not being too thrilled with his 5yr out clause.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

You are presuming the 5% lower is based solely upon bidders for the team. For all anyone knows it may be %5 lower than all RFP bids including those via Beacon. But I agree it's a move to use CoG as some leverage.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
Until we are not owned by the NHL, the NHL is our owner, along with all of its budget constraints. I hope that whoever buys the team can significantly increase spending on players. I still think that this will hit a wall somewhere along the line and fall apart. Hope I'm wrong.

That was Pastor's logic for financing his team over 15 years. He said he wanted additional revenue so he could apply it toward players. He essentially said what was the point of buying it and then not having money to spend on players and make them competitive. But I understand the flipside to that argument too.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
That was Pastor's logic for financing his team over 15 years. He said he wanted additional revenue so he could apply it toward players. He essentially said what was the point of buying it and then not having money to spend on players and make them competitive. But I understand the flipside to that argument too.

So what do you think of a buyer who can only put money in either buying the team or investing in its roster, but not both? Does that look like an appealing proposition to you?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Just a ten percent increase in budget would be a huge, huge windfall for this franchise.

lockstock

Dec 16, 2007
Kauai
Just a ten percent increase in budget would be a huge, huge windfall for this franchise.
Honestly, it's getting to the point where it would be less of a windfall and more of a minimum of what is necessary to keep the team from truly sucking. GMDM might be a wizard, but there's only so much he can do. The franchise is losing out on assets that could be used in future trades or just to make the team better...or keep it from getting worse.

I just moved to Seattle and hope the Coyotes don't end up here not only because the Coyotes belong in Phoenix, but because if you get rid of the emotional attachment and look at it from a business standpoint, this team is already behind the curve on asset management. I love the guys and all, but take away Tip's extremely defensive system and the talent on this team is over-achieving even being in the hunt for the playoffs near the end of the season. It's an offensive wasteland with no hope of help on the horizon. I'd rather see an expansion started up here with a good long-term, well funded overall plan for the future. This franchise has never been associated with any of those words.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You are presuming the 5% lower is based solely upon bidders for the team. For all anyone knows it may be %5 lower than all RFP bids including those via Beacon. But I agree it's a move to use CoG as some leverage.

I read that as being 5% lower than the lowest RFP bid, so yes, leverage in dealing with the NHL on price, but as per usual, their apparently not budging. You cant gain leverage on an unmotivated, obstinate and obtuse vendor. It was never clarified if Pastor was indeed looking to have the league itself finance the purchase or if he was willing to assume, take-over the Line of Credit with CitiBank the league set-up, used to initially purchase the team, cover on-going costs. So if $42M down and assumption of the LOC didnt cut it, maybe he's gone back to the drawing board, upping the down. No idea really, but that sort of creative financing is precisely whats required if the league seriously wants to get out from under the burden & embarrassment of owning the team. That Pastors' at least showing some conscience in his dealings with Glendale speaks well of him. For Le Blanc to have stated a few weeks ago that he's looking for Jamison like AMF's, I mean honestly, what Planet is the guy living on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad