Speculation: Ownership Saga: The Great Gosbee Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I read that as being 5% lower than the lowest RFP bid, so yes, leverage in dealing with the NHL on price, but as per usual, their apparently not budging. You cant gain leverage on an unmotivated, obstinate and obtuse vendor. It was never clarified if Pastor was indeed looking to have the league itself finance the purchase or if he was willing to assume, take-over the Line of Credit with CitiBank the league set-up, used to initially purchase the team, cover on-going costs. So if $42M down and assumption of the LOC didnt cut it, maybe he's gone back to the drawing board, upping the down. No idea really, but that sort of creative financing is precisely whats required if the league seriously wants to get out from under the burden & embarrassment of owning the team. That Pastors' at least showing some conscience in his dealings with Glendale speaks well of him. For Le Blanc to have stated a few weeks ago that he's looking for Jamison like AMF's, I mean honestly, what Planet is the guy living on?

I can't imagine that's transferable. Also I'm sure it has a termination/renegotiation date far shorter than the time period Pastor was looking to finance the team purchase over.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I can't imagine that's transferable. Also I'm sure it has a termination/renegotiation date far shorter than the time period Pastor was looking to finance the team purchase over.

No of course it wouldnt be openly, however, if Pastor's family was able to pass the bar, Citi would absolutely play ball. Problem is I dont think they can. You need over 110% security on any LOC or loan on a sports or entertainment property and unless Ive missed something, the Pastors dont have it. No major real estate holdings, nothing to put up as collateral, surety of that magnitude. As for termination/renegotiation and interest, Im guessing the NHL's been doing that annually since 2009 (all the while hoping Reinsdorf, Hulsizer & then Jamison wouldve closed) when they upped it from app $60M to $250M shortly before Moyes walked into BK Court. There must be some way to transfer paper, be it $90M or whatever down, the balance on the LOC assumed by Pastor if he's got the bona-fides and either further liquidity or access to another $70M or so in order to cover costs moving forward. According to Daly, not so much, dismissed summarily. Would like to see what he comes back with, that he doesnt give up, as he seems the most reasonable & sympathetic to Glendale of the current batch.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Roy accepts/is close to accepting the Avs gig, I have to wonder if he has any insights that Quebec is a no-go.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Roy accepts/is close to accepting the Avs gig, I have to wonder if he has any insights that Quebec is a no-go.

Or maybe he declined the job last time because he wanted to spend time with the kids and be home all of the time. Now that the nest is empty he wants to relive his glory and get back in the show.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Or maybe he declined the job last time because he wanted to spend time with the kids and be home all of the time. Now that the nest is empty he wants to relive his glory and get back in the show.

Then why not wait a few months to see how this plays out?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Did you see this?

The update was posted after I linked the article, however I'm still unsettled by the fact that Truth North denied they were in negotiations to buy the Thrashers about one week before the sale was announced.
I sure hope it's false though.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Does anyone know if Réjean Tremblay a valid source? If he's not, I'm taking these reports with a grain of sand, since it hasn't been picked up by any reputable sources yet, unless of course he is a reliable source.

rt

May 13, 2004
The fact that both the league and Québecor felt the need to issue denials on the subject is a very, very bad sign for us.

We are talking about a league that didn't even bother to call Pastor back. A formal purchase offer wasn't enough to evoke even picking up a telephone and yet this rumor gets Bill Daly tweeting?

Québecor has dealt with rumors every single day for years. This is the top gossip in QC for years running. I don't remember the last time Québecor felt the need to issue an official denial. Why now? Why this rumor? And just relative moments have the NHL put out their denial? Seems a little bit like a joint effort, no?

rt

May 13, 2004
The update was posted after I linked the article, however I'm still unsettled by the fact that Truth North denied they were in negotiations to buy the Thrashers about one week before the sale was announced.
I sure hope it's false though.

TSNE and NHL vehemently denied any relationship or dealings until the dale the sale was formally announced. That's how this works.

Doesn't mean a deal is done or that Gosbee is out. It just means we probably won't know that a deal is done with QC or that Gosbee is out until a deal with QC is announced and we can obviously draw our own conclusions about the Gosbee situation at that point.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Perhaps the NHL is negotiating with Quebecor as a back-up plan? Remember when the news came out after the Thrashers were sold, that Bettman was ready to sell the Coyotes to Chipman if Glendale did not approve the $25 million subsidy? In this scenario it could be possible that Quebecor has a deal negotiated with NHL in case Glendale falls through at the last minute during arena management negotiations.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
John Shannon

Well, I met DM yesterday at the north rim Grand Canyon lodge, when we were getting ready to hop on a bus back to the south side. I heard the voice and saw the face, knew who it was right away. DM hiked rim to rim on Monday (me too), 24 miles. It is a monster day hike and he looked great, chipper as can be, is in great shape. We chatted about the coyotes, the season, a new owner, for a few minutes. He was super friendly and did not seem stressed or worried about his or the coyote situation. No inside information, not appropriate for me to probe too much....

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
I think the Great Gosbee would like to know this information.

For some reason this made me think of the scene in Gatsby where Gatsby tells Daisy to tell Tom she never loved him. Just imagine Gosbee yelling at Daly "Tell him! Tell him you never had any intention of selling the team!" with the head of Quebecor awkwardly standing there :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Well, I met DM yesterday at the north rim Grand Canyon lodge, when we were getting ready to hop on a bus back to the south side. I heard the voice and saw the face, knew who it was right away. DM hiked rim to rim on Monday (me too), 24 miles. It is a monster day hike and he looked great, chipper as can be, is in great shape. We chatted about the coyotes, the season, a new owner, for a few minutes. He was super friendly and did not seem stressed or worried about his or the coyote situation. No inside information, not appropriate for me to probe too much....

I'd have at least nagged him for some inconsequential, outdated inside information like what really happened with Wheeler and Mueller, or something. Haha.

EDIT: Also kind of surprises me that he's in AZ and not SK, right now. Maybe I'm naive, but I always kinda figured GMs attend the major junior tournies if they are in NA.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Hope this is a normal DM thing and not a matter of "I'd better visit one last time before I leave" ...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I've asked a few NHL people in recent days. A former GM of Coyotes implied that the NHL doesn't really seem anxious to re-tweak the conferences. That being said in 40 days or so we have no GM or coach.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I've asked a few NHL people in recent days. A former GM of Coyotes implied that the NHL doesn't really seem anxious to re-tweak the conferences. That being said in 40 days or so we have no GM or coach.

They specifically have a clause where they can re-do the setup in two years time. Daly has gone out of his way to stay that QC playing in the Pacific is doable. Gary Bettman has openly praised the market and wishes to right a wrong. Tremblay has said they are in negotiations to move the team. If they are gone, they are off to the best home possible. It will make Winnipeg look like small potatoes. I can live with my team being spirited away to a state of the art arena, in a hockey mad city, where they will be far, far better off. Better QC than Winnipeg, or Kansas City etc...

I really cannot stand to see this team limp into next year without Tippett, Maloney, Smith etc... What an awful way to go. Just end it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->