Speculation: Ownership Saga: The Great Gosbee Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm 100% ready for the move to QC. I'm not interested in watching a terrible team with no budget. 16 years of mediocrity with hopes of one day becoming relevant is one thing. If you take away that hope, it's just bad hockey. **** that.
How is hope being taken away? Do you want the Coyotes to be relocated?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I really cannot stand to see this team limp into next year without Tippett, Maloney, Smith etc... What an awful way to go. Just end it now.
No body wants to lose Tippet, DM and to a lesser extent Smith but if it buys time for possibly keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix I would much prefer that than to see the team ripped from Phoenix and stuck somewhere that is almost physically as far away from Phoenix as possible. Seriously, **** that place, if they do relocate I hope they trade the players I like and then it all goes to ****. I'd like nothing more than to see them spend to the cap and get horrible results (ala Rangers before the salary cap). Bitter? **** yes I am!

btw...sorry if my rant offends any couch fans. :sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
but if it buys time for possibly keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix

The Coyotes have been operating and playing on borrowed time for awhile now, at great expense to one city in particular. Glendale has rightfully wised up to the scam, so we're without another life extension. Logic dictates that if there was a deal to be made, it would have been so years ago when all parties were most interested, and the asset was most valuable. Come Friday, I fully expect the league to *not* pick up the AMULA option. If news of a relocation hasn't broken by then, it will surely be implied through the league's actions.

RSE wants a $14-15 million AMF. They are the last party at the table. They aren't going to get it from the city. It's arguably in the best interests of the league to not let such a thing come to fruition. They'd end up being the main reason Glendale bankrupts itself.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
How is hope being taken away? Do you want the Coyotes to be relocated?

That response by OEL made no sense. If he doesn't like watching bad hockey, the solution is simple, turn off the television or better yet, follow another team. For the rest of us, we like the experience of going to games and watching live hockey. We also like having a local team to support. For me, it's not limited to wins and losses. I love taking my son to games and enjoying live hockey.

I can't stand watching the Suns, but I don't wish for the team to be relocated. I don't watch the Suns but I hope the team remains for those fans who enjoy attending live NBA games, and want a local team to support. I would never wish for our city to lose an NBA franchise because I hate ugly basketball. Yeah, I may find it difficult to watch, but I can always turn off the television. I don't want to deprive others.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
New Thread Title:

Ownership Saga: Candy's Ancient Dog Edition
:laugh:

Make it so.

In years past, has there been any indication of "if we make it to [date], then we will be here next year" ? Obviously a 1 September sale doesn't leave enough time to relocate before the season, but what's the cutoff? September? The draft?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In years past, has there been any indication of "if we make it to [date], then we will be here next year" ? Obviously a 1 September sale doesn't leave enough time to relocate before the season, but what's the cutoff? September? The draft?

Right now, the league has no agreement with the city to play here next year. The league has the option to continue to operate under the current agreement (the AMULA) which they must submit a decision on by Friday, the 24th of May. Without picking up that option, things become murky. There'd be nothing keeping the Coyotes here, or guaranteeing they have somewhere to play. Generally speaking, that's not a situation the league wants to walk into. Any potential lease wouldn't be fully voted on and signed until after the draft, at this point. That's if everything goes according to plan, which is a rarity in this saga. So a failure to pick up that option all but assures the team is moving. Complicating matter is that the bids to run the arena without the team will be unsealed on the 31st. It would be politically hard to justify giving the team 2-3x more than what operators are bidding for similar revenue.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
That response by OEL made no sense. If he doesn't like watching bad hockey, the solution is simple, turn off the television or better yet, follow another team. For the rest of us, we like the experience of going to games and watching live hockey. We also like having a local team to support. For me, it's not limited to wins and losses. I love taking my son to games and enjoying live hockey.

It does make sense. I'd rather keep following the team in a different market with a budget allowing it to contend rather than keeping a local with no budget for another 5 years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They specifically have a clause where they can re-do the setup in two years time. Daly has gone out of his way to stay that QC playing in the Pacific is doable. Gary Bettman has openly praised the market and wishes to right a wrong. Tremblay has said they are in negotiations to move the team. If they are gone, they are off to the best home possible. It will make Winnipeg look like small potatoes. I can live with my team being spirited away to a state of the art arena, in a hockey mad city, where they will be far, far better off. Better QC than Winnipeg, or Kansas City etc...

I really cannot stand to see this team limp into next year without Tippett, Maloney, Smith etc... What an awful way to go. Just end it now.

Obviously I have no real hard on the record comments. That being said if I had to read body language I would not be optimistic that Tippett and Maloney will remain in the current positions. Maloney more likely to stay than Tippett IMO. Maybe I'm just reading into the report that Maloney isn't present at the Memorial Cup. I will report if I do see him.

I honestly don't know who's going to be calling the shots at the draft table. Could be a huge cluster.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Coyotes have been operating and playing on borrowed time for awhile now, at great expense to one city in particular. Glendale has rightfully wised up to the scam, so we're without another life extension. Logic dictates that if there was a deal to be made, it would have been so years ago when all parties were most interested, and the asset was most valuable. Come Friday, I fully expect the league to *not* pick up the AMULA option. If news of a relocation hasn't broken by then, it will surely be implied through the league's actions.

RSE wants a $14-15 million AMF. They are the last party at the table. They aren't going to get it from the city. It's arguably in the best interests of the league to not let such a thing come to fruition. They'd end up being the main reason Glendale bankrupts itself.
Right...but if that doesn't happen, I will be happy because at this point I'm still hoping for a stay of execution so I can go back to routing for a pardon from the governor.

It does make sense. I'd rather keep following the team in a different market with a budget allowing it to contend rather than keeping a local with no budget for another 5 years.
Not really because that's a false dilemma.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Obviously I have no real hard on the record comments. That being said if I had to read body language I would not be optimistic that Tippett and Maloney will remain in the current positions. Maloney more likely to stay than Tippett IMO.

And this just in, Canucks fire Vigneault. GM Mike Gillis said:

Gillis wouldn't reveal the names of any coaches in the running to replace Vigneault, but said the team would have no problem attracting suitable candidates.

"We're in a competitive business, but I think this is a stable, profitable organization that is in a hockey market," he said. "I think it would be a very attractive place for a coach to come and coach."

Stable and profitable, eh?

Feb 12, 2003
Have we gone from 2 weeks to 2 days now? It sounds like Friday is the key date that we expect to see something conclusively indicating the future of this team in Glendale.

I will likely not follow the team emotionally if they leave. Frankly, I'm not sure how emotionally involved I am with the team if they stay at this point. I've been a hockey fan for the past 17 years but I think this is all but enough to push the sport down my list of priorities. In the past 17 years we've had our child, bought a couple of houses, had a number of jobs and started a business. With all of those real life distractions, entertainment often becomes second fiddle and thrives on convenience. The NHL has dragged my emotional interest in this team and the league through the mud the past 4 seasons and I find myself drifting into a scoreboard watcher instead of a game watcher.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
That response by OEL made no sense. If he doesn't like watching bad hockey, the solution is simple, turn off the television or better yet, follow another team.

But not too long ago in another rant of yours, you were pretty much saying that you were tired of people taking shots at people in Phoenix for not supporting their teams no matter the circunstances.

Sorry but I tire of people taking cheap shots at Phoenix residents when there is so much more that is involved with why these games don't sell out.

Now you have double talked here in another rant. Care to explain this one?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
But not too long ago in another rant of yours, you were pretty much saying that you were tired of people taking shots at people in Phoenix for not supporting their teams no matter the circunstances.

Now you have double talked here in another rant. Care to explain this one?

What the hell are you talking about? That quote you posted proves nothing of the sort as far as your "point" pertains.

Feel free to elaborate; I wait with bated breathe.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Have we gone from 2 weeks to 2 days now? It sounds like Friday is the key date that we expect to see something conclusively indicating the future of this team in Glendale.

I believe the RFP deadline was extended 1 week, from May 24 to May 31.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I will likely not follow the team emotionally if they leave. Frankly, I'm not sure how emotionally involved I am with the team if they stay at this point. I've been a hockey fan for the past 17 years but I think this is all but enough to push the sport down my list of priorities. In the past 17 years we've had our child, bought a couple of houses, had a number of jobs and started a business. With all of those real life distractions, entertainment often becomes second fiddle and thrives on convenience. The NHL has dragged my emotional interest in this team and the league through the mud the past 4 seasons and I find myself drifting into a scoreboard watcher instead of a game watcher.

I just started following the Coyotes in 2011. I got very invested in the team and planned to continue to follow them in 2012. But in the meantime, I started playing hockey myself - and my daughter and husband joined me on the ice over the subsequent months. It came to the point where we'd rather play than watch.

After the Jamison failure, I kind of said "whatever" and moved on. I care more about the teams I play on than any NHL team. Between work, home, and getting on the ice, I don't have a lot of time to think about or worry about the future of the team here in Phoenix. Sure, I signed on for ST next year - but I am completely prepared to get a refund when the team leaves. And if they stay, then maybe I'll start following them more closely.

This last season was a real disappointment. It was more fun for me to go to games since I understand the sport better and I have many friends that I run into at the games - but it's less fun when the team is not playing well and there is that sense of gloom and doom with the ownership situation.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I believe the RFP deadline was extended 1 week, from May 24 to May 31.

This happened last week but Sunnucks is on the case today.

Glendale extends deadline for RFPs to manage Jobing.com Arena

The National Hockey League, which owns the team, rejected a bid earlier this month from California investment executive Darin Pastor to buy the Coyotes and keep the team in Glendale.

Another bidder, Renaissance Sports & Entertainment, is still in the hunt to buy the Coyotes and keep it in Glendale.

Coyotes bidders could also put in proposals to manage the arena or the city could hire an independent third party.

Beacon still plans on giving recommendations to the city on the arena management bids before July 1.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/05/22/glendale-extends-deadline-for-rfps-to.html

Since I never heard this QC Reporter's information yesterday and only read about it, it makes since to say that I read he came back later in the day to say his report wasn't accurate. Please don't take the approach that because someone denies it, it must be true. That makes my brain hurt and the reason why I have lost every argument with the misses.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Last edited:

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County

The commissioner wasn’t overly enthusiastic when asked about the viability of Quebec City as a hockey market even though ground has already been broken there on a new arena.

In line with Daly's comments last month.

Daly doesn’t know if the building in Quebec is actually being built (16:40 mark)
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bill-daly-on-hc-noon/

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In line with Daly's comments last month.

You believe that the men charged with watching over hockey in NA didn't know Quebec was actually building an arena? It was on webcam for crying out loud. They are playing dumb about the whole thing.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

Well, I think you may change your mind over time; if you have followed team for some lengthy period of time, I think it might be hard to let go.

My family was old time Jets fans, since that's where they are from. And I grew up continuing to be a jets/coyotes fan, even though they moved to Phoenix; well, it didn't really affect me, since I didn't grow up in Winnipeg for the most part. And the Yotes always have been my favorite team even though most of my time growing up were in the midwest of the US. I have never seen them play in Winnipeg; and I have never been to Arizona period.

But I'm pretty sure that I will continue to support them, if and when they leave. It looks like if they are going, then QC would be the most likely location, which is probably one of the best locations if they were to ever leave, and has rich hockey traditions (which lost their own team due to similar circumstances, and in part to a weak CAD). But Phoenix and Glendale is a place that has bent over backwards to support an NHL franchise, and there has not been a more supportive market for hockey in the southern tier of the US. I can't believe that Phoenix might lose the team due to years of bad fortune and these shannanigans.

If it comes to the worst, I will continue to support the team, since I already support them from afar. And I hope many fans from Phoenix will continue to do so as well.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Well, I think you may change your mind over time; if you have followed team for some lengthy period of time, I think it might be hard to let go.

My family was old time Jets fans, since that's where they are from. And I grew up continuing to be a jets/coyotes fan, even though they moved to Phoenix; well, it didn't really affect me, since I didn't grow up in Winnipeg for the most part. And the Yotes always have been my favorite team even though most of my time growing up were in the midwest of the US. I have never seen them play in Winnipeg; and I have never been to Arizona period.

But I'm pretty sure that I will continue to support them, if and when they leave. It looks like if they are going, then QC would be the most likely location, which is probably one of the best locations if they were to ever leave, and has rich hockey traditions (which lost their own team due to similar circumstances, and in part to a weak CAD). But Phoenix and Glendale is a place that has bent over backwards to support an NHL franchise, and there has not been a more supportive market for hockey in the southern tier of the US. I can't believe that Phoenix might lose the team due to years of bad fortune and these shannanigans.

If it comes to the worst, I will continue to support the team, since I already support them from afar. And I hope many fans from Phoenix will continue to do so as well.
It's a lot easier when you're already a remote fan. If I was say a huge Sharks fan and they relocated to wherever, it wouldn't bother me much because I'm just couch fan anyway. However if you're a local fan AND you actually go to games, it's not going to be as easy to support the team elsewhere. There is also extenuating circumstances surrounding this ordeal, there are a ton of people from traditional markets who have been actively cheering on the demise of NHL hockey in AZ and that's led to a lot of bitterness from local Coyote fans (myself included). So if they end up somewhere like QC, some people will follow them (mostly couch fans) but I'm not sure how many butts in the seats Coyote fans you'll see following them.

I have no idea how I'll ultimately react and I reserve the right to choose any path should that time come but my hunch is that I'll route for Doan until he retires while at the same time start transitioning to another team. I have friends who like the Avs so I'll probably just go with them and become a couch fan like so many others. It seems like the easiest way to be a fan! Once the players I like are off the QC Ramparts or whatever the hell they'll be called, I'll likely hate that team with burning passion! :help:

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
It's a lot easier when you're already a remote fan. If I was say a huge Sharks fan and they relocated to wherever, it wouldn't bother me much because I'm just couch fan anyway. However if you're a local fan AND you actually go to games, it's not going to be as easy to support the team elsewhere.

Yes, I understand that. It's not going to be easy for many in PHX to remain Coyotes fans. But I do think that there is a good chance many will remain, kinda like what my family had gone through in the mid-90s. It will of course be impossible to attend many games, but it might be easier to start following through remote means than to switch allegiances, especially since there aren't any other NHL franchises within short distance. The only other place that might have NHL in the future would be Las Vegas, which is not all that close anyway.

There is also extenuating circumstances surrounding this ordeal, there are a ton of people from traditional markets who have been actively cheering on the demise of NHL hockey in AZ and that's led to a lot of bitterness from local Coyote fans (myself included).

I have no respect for ppl like that from "traditional" markets. All they do is to make enemies rather than fans of hockey, and make the NHL look like a regional and canadian affair, rather than a mainstream sport and entertainment that it is. Don't listen to Pejorative Slurs from Toronto or wherever and let that make decision for you in terms of how you follow hockey.

So if they end up somewhere like QC, some people will follow them (mostly couch fans) but I'm not sure how many butts in the seats Coyote fans you'll see following them.

I have no idea how I'll ultimately react and I reserve the right to choose any path should that time come but my hunch is that I'll route for Doan until he retires while at the same time start transitioning to another team. I have friends who like the Avs so I'll probably just go with them and become a couch fan like so many others. It seems like the easiest way to be a fan! Once the players I like are off the QC Ramparts or whatever the hell they'll be called, I'll likely hate that team with burning passion! :help:

I really hope that this works out in the next several days for the best. There is really no better market than AZ for the Coyotes, greener pastures look green only from afar. Other prospective locations, such as Portland, Seattle, Houston have their own issues. Places like QC lost their own under similar circumstances as Phoenix right now; and especially places like Kansas C, have shown that they have problematic history with supporting NHL franchises and probably shouldn't be very serious considerations.

Anyways, I really hope that you (and others in PHX) will continue to persist supporting our team, no matter the outcome in the next few days. It would be extraordinarily sad for the franchise to lose such great fans; even more so than the team moving.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yes, I understand that. It's not going to be easy for many in PHX to remain Coyotes fans. But I do think that there is a good chance many will remain, kinda like what my family had gone through in the mid-90s. It will of course be impossible to attend many games, but it might be easier to start following through remote means than to switch allegiances, especially since there aren't any other NHL franchises within short distance. The only other place that might have NHL in the future would be Las Vegas, which is not all that close anyway.

I have no respect for ppl like that from "traditional" markets. All they do is to make enemies rather than fans of hockey, and make the NHL look like a regional and canadian affair, rather than a mainstream sport and entertainment that it is. Don't listen to Pejorative Slurs from Toronto or wherever and let that make decision for you in terms of how you follow hockey.

I really hope that this works out in the next several days for the best. There is really no better market than AZ for the Coyotes, greener pastures look green only from afar. Other prospective locations, such as Portland, Seattle, Houston have their own issues. Places like QC lost their own under similar circumstances as Phoenix right now; and especially places like Kansas C, have shown that they have problematic history with supporting NHL franchises and probably shouldn't be very serious considerations.

Anyways, I really hope that you (and others in PHX) will continue to persist supporting our team, no matter the outcome in the next few days. It would be extraordinarily sad for the franchise to lose such great fans; even more so than the team moving.
Dang you should work for NHL in the fan relations department! :cheers:

Edit: Just want to be clear that wasn't sarcasm, you handled my bitter rant quite well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad