Speculation: Ownership Saga: The Great Gosbee Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What Pastor is doing is trying to buy the team for free, essentially. He wants to finance the team over 15 years. That's a long time, in terms of the time value of money. He reportedly wanted to put $42 million down. Fine. That's still $235 million financed over 15 years. At 5%, that would be worth just shy of $500 million in fifteen years. It's present value is something like $113 million. Does 113 + 42 look familiar to you? It should.

So, really, Pastor is offering less than Gosbee, if RSE intends to pay the $170 up front. He takes the league for fools, which is why he is being treated as a nobody.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
But, but, but he loves hockey so much that he wants a portable NHL franchise for half it's worth and he'll happily have season tickets for five years to pass the time before he gets to move the club and make out like a bandit.

He's just baffled that the NHL didn't bother to give him a phone call to let him know that they saw right through him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But, but, but he loves hockey so much that he wants a portable NHL franchise for half it's worth and he'll happily have season tickets for five years to pass the time before he gets to move the club and make out like a bandit.

He's just baffled that the NHL didn't bother to give him a phone call to let him know that they saw right through him.

The NHL probably has access to capital markets that can do far better than 5%. A seven percent return would knock Pastor's bid down something like another $30 million. At some point people need to start calling a spade a spade. The guy announced his intentions via press release, having not contacted the league or city previously. Zero credibility, and it has played out as such. The Ice Edge clowns are cut from the same fabric.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The NHL probably has access to capital markets that can do far better than 5%. A seven percent return would knock Pastor's bid down something like another $30 million. At some point people need to start calling a spade a spade. The guy announced his intentions via press release, having not contacted the league or city previously. Zero credibility, and it has played out as such. The Ice Edge clowns are cut from the same fabric.

The more important thing is that the NHL borrowed the money to buy the team in the first place. No idea what their interest rate on that loan is though.

rt

May 13, 2004
At some point people need to start calling a spade a spade. The guy announced his intentions via press release, having not contacted the league or city previously. Zero credibility, and it has played out as such. The Ice Edge clowns are cut from the same fabric.

Absolutely.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't get why some of you assume everyone that shows interest in this team is a complete liar. He's still interested and submitted a bid. The NHL rejected it. Maybe he comes back with something that they will consider. It seems like he's doing it with good intentions that we should be happy about.

http://www.glendalestar.com/sports/article_47a11ede-be3b-11e2-b90d-001a4bcf887a.html
“Knowing the financial situation of the team, and our transaction, our offer was for 15 years so that we can make a prudent situation that allows a positive cash flow, and lets us sign free agents.†Pastor said. “If you spend all this money on a team, but then have no money to run it, what would be the point?â€

“The out clause is based on a standard operating procedure, but I also have a clause in there where I can purchase the arena,†Pastor said. “The fact that we are not looking to just manage, but acquire the arena, that shows that the out clause is just a standard business practice. You can’t move an arena once you own it.â€

rt

May 13, 2004
My god man. All of that noise about arena acquisition, payroll expansion, and ****ing peewee hockey development is the very definition of Red Herring. "Hey, hey...look over here! I've got a bunch of completely unrelated stuff that is GOOD....so GOOD...looky, looky!" Why is he even talking about any of that nonsense?

That cart is about four thousand miles ahead of the nearest horse.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I don't get why some of you assume everyone that shows interest in this team is a complete liar.

:shakehead :help: What we say is, talk is cheap! After being lied to, misled, and everything else all around for the past few years; the only way any of us are going to believe that anyone who claims to be interested in onwing the Coyotes in Arizona IS the actual sale of the Coyotes made to a local owner. Actions speak louder than words!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Well I'll just agree to disagree. I think the guy is legit. He has a plan to purchase the team that he believes will be successful. You can piss all over it as much as you want. I'm happy that he seems to actually be trying make a deal rather than just a bunch of talk. I don't believe pretending to want to purchase the team gains him anything. As I said earlier, if he doesn't work out a deal, hopefully his pursuit of one will at least push the Gosbee group to get it done.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Has the Ice Edge/Renaissance Group mentioned anything about Saskatchewan-based games this time around? I have no interest in a travelling circus.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Well I'll just agree to disagree.
:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Truth and facts are not subject for agreement or disagreement. They can't be changed into something that others feel the truth and facts "should be". People can believe all they want that 2 + 2 = any number than 4 but the fact is 2 + 2 = 4.

I'm happy that he seems to actually be trying make a deal rather than just a bunch of talk.

:shakehead :shakehead :help:

No he is not! The NHL is not willing to budge on the asking price. The City of Glendale is not going to give out anything close to previous deals. It is the same same kind of deal in the past needed in order to make up the difference in the overpriced value of the team.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't get why some of you assume everyone that shows interest in this team is a complete liar. He's still interested and submitted a bid. The NHL rejected it. Maybe he comes back with something that they will consider. It seems like he's doing it with good intentions that we should be happy about.

All your misplaced cheerleading doesn't change the math of the situation. Never has. You call this 'complaining' but it's really just understanding the situation at hand.

“If you spend all this money on a team, but then have no money to run it, what would be the point?â€

The point is that such a person has no business buying a sports team, much less one that has historically lost plenty of money. He doesn't have the cash, pure and simple. That quote cements it, as if the 15 year financing gimmick wasn't enough.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Misplaced Cheerleading? Because I'm hopeful one of these groups gets the team? Because I don't think everyone that says they are trying to buy the team is lying? I'm just hopeful. I'm certainly not confident. Going to the games is my favorite thing to do and most of my entertainment expense and I haven't renewed my tickets. I expect the team to move but I'm not going to just dismiss someone because I'm completely jaded. I'd love it if we had someone like Mark Cuban with deep pockets that wanted to buy the team. I'd even be happier if Colangelo would put together a group. But since neither of those will happen, I just hope one of the current cast of characters comes through. You can rip on them all you want. That doesn't make you any more right than the next guy although nobody will ever convince a couple of you there's a chance you might not actually know it all.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Misplaced Cheerleading? Because I'm hopeful one of these groups gets the team? Because I don't think everyone that says they are trying to buy the team is lying? I'm just hopeful. I'm certainly not confident. Going to the games is my favorite thing to do and most of my entertainment expense and I haven't renewed my tickets. I expect the team to move but I'm not going to just dismiss someone because I'm completely jaded. I'd love it if we had someone like Mark Cuban with deep pockets that wanted to buy the team. I'd even be happier if Colangelo would put together a group. But since neither of those will happen, I just hope one of the current cast of characters comes through. You can rip on them all you want. That doesn't make you any more right than the next guy although nobody will ever convince a couple of you there's a chance you might not actually know it all.

The strawman argument is making the martyr more obvious now. Talk is cheap! Actions speak louder than words! Only if and when the sale is actually completed to a local owner will I believe that one of these people are for real.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Ice Edge clowns are cut from the same fabric.
Unfortunately I think you're correct, it's their association that makes me worried about Gosbee. Only thing I can come up with is that he thinks their new money attitude will connect with fans and can be the face of ownership. Maybe they can be Mark Cuban personality and Gosbee can be Mark Cuban money? I don't know, the whole thing just makes me nervous. That said, it's not over yet so as long as people are at least attempting to be in the game there is still a chance.

rt

May 13, 2004
Unfortunately I think you're correct, it's their association that makes me worried about Gosbee. Only thing I can come up with is that he thinks their new money attitude will connect with fans and can be the face of ownership. Maybe they can be Mark Cuban personality and Gosbee can be Mark Cuban money? I don't know, the whole thing just makes me nervous. That said, it's not over yet so as long as people are at least attempting to be in the game there is still a chance.

Gosbee is only 43 years old, himself. He's also extremely accomplished and charismatic. I think he's got the much more appealing personality. Not an off-putting ****** nozzle like the IEH clowns. Just a smart, dynamic, successful guy.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013

http://www.glendalestar.com/sports/article_47a11ede-be3b-11e2-b90d-001a4bcf887a.html

I have a lot of respect for Pastor, and am glad he took the time to explain his reason. I'm with you. I think he is legitimate.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013

I'm content with being called a cheerleader and a Kool Aid drinker. However, I'm hoping the same individuals who are calling us those names will be the first to eat crow and issue formal apologies if they are proven wrong and the team remains. In my experience, the people who dish out insults, often hide and are evasive when they are proven wrong. They rarely man up and own up to their statements. Just the same, if I'm wrong, I'll be happy to say I was misguided and wrong. I don't care about insults but be fair about it.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm content with being called a cheerleader and a Kool Aid drinker. However, I'm hoping the same individuals who are calling us those names will be the first to eat crow and issue formal apologies if they are proven wrong and the team remains. In my experience, the people who dish out insults, often hide and are evasive when they are proven wrong. They rarely man up and own up to their statements. Just the same, if I'm wrong, I'll be happy to say I was misguided and wrong. I don't care about insults but be fair about it.

I don't care about being right or wrong. I just want the team to stay. I get being frustrated and negative. I feel the same in some ways but don't automatically dismiss anyone that might want to buy the team. I like the back and forth discussion but there's one poster that's just a consistent jerk. I didn't want to put an actual Coyotes fan (if he even is one) on ignore but it's easier than trying to skip over all his posts and keeps my blood pressure down. I'm sure when this is over, there will be some that will say I told you so no matter what the outcome is. I don't care about that either. I just want it to be done already!

rt

May 13, 2004

You've been here for a month. I've been here ten years. You have no idea how I react when I'm wrong. I'd suggest you take a look at my user title, location, and disclaiming quote. Feel free to search my post history. 9/10 stances I take are incorrect.

This Pastor nonsense is just too easy to see through. Old fashioned snake oil grift.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
You are what I once was. I am what you will become.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
George Fallar ‏@gfallar 14m
@trigger449 @NBCSportsRoc The out clause sword cuts both ways. Isn't ANY out clause a ticket to relocation by definition? Yes.
Expand

H Johnson H Johnson ‏@trigger449 10m
@gfallar @NBCSportsRoc As you said, it means different things to different groups. I trust the guy buying a house in Scottsdale, team or not
Expand

George Fallar George Fallar ‏@gfallar 6m
@trigger449 @NBCSportsRoc I hear you. Right now that isn't an option according to statement from Daly. Is there progress you're aware of?
Expand

Roc from Roc&Manuch Roc from Roc&Manuch ‏@NBCSportsRoc 3m
@gfallar Yes. Very close. We may hear a specific timeline today or during weekend
Expand

George Fallar George Fallar ‏@gfallar 1m
@NBCSportsRoc Then the real fun begins.
Expand

Roc from Roc&Manuch Roc from Roc&Manuch ‏@NBCSportsRoc 46s
@gfallar Yah. Actually a bit scary. But I think we are all ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad