Confirmed with Link: Owen Tippett contract extension, 8 years x $6.2M

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Realistically...unless a bonafide star..they shouldn't be giving out contracts longer than like..3 years
It'll be hard to keep a roster together when most decide to leave b/c you're trying to lowball them.
Contracts are a combination of salary and term, if you want to give shorter contracts, you have to pay more per year since the player takes more risk.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
That's contrary to what has been mentioned on many broadcasts. Last year was "rim the puck out of the D-zone, dump and chase and cycle" on offense. Torts has mentioned. as have the broadcasts, that he's changed the style of play to prepare for upcoming talent infusion (Michkov).
Well if towering hockey intellects like Jim Jackson and Al Morganti say it's true then it must be true!

hockeynormy

Oct 21, 2023
Lol come on, there is zero reason to be giving Tippett an NTC
as we've seen with cutter, players are getting smart and taking back control of where they end up. If the first thing tippett says is "i want an NTC" and thats the dealbreaker or the deal goes out the window, would it be negligence to not just give it to them at that point? i'm not saying you give poehling a ntc/nmc but for a guy like tippett, and considering what just went down with cutter, I think if it get's this particular deal done it's not bad

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sometimes I wonder what people expect.

Owen Tippett is tied for 2nd in the entire NHL in goals among under-25 players.

Only Brady Tkachuk (20) has more than Tippett’s 18, who is tied with Peterka.

When he’s out of the lineup, it’s clear how much they miss his presence.

Yeah, he takes a lot of shots. But there’s this weird perception that all he does is fling shots from the perimeter when he’s probably the most effective player on the team at getting to the net with speed.

Reactions: Ernie96 and renberg

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
Tippet is so much more than his production, it's his speed, strength and grit. His shot needs improvement and that is what we are banking on. He's not a superstar, he's not a star at every level but has always had plus plus skills and promise. They're betting he's a 40+ goal scorer.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Tippet is so much more than his production, it's his speed, strength and grit. His shot needs improvement and that is what we are banking on. He's not a superstar, he's not a star at every level but has always had plus plus skills and promise. They're betting he's a 40+ goal scorer.

The difference between 27 goals and 40 goals is, after all, just a modest 1.5x improvement in productivity.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Sometimes I wonder what people expect.

Owen Tippett is tied for 2nd in the entire NHL in goals among under-25 players.

Only Brady Tkachuk (20) has more than Tippett’s 18, who is tied with Peterka.

When he’s out of the lineup, it’s clear how much they miss his presence.

Yeah, he takes a lot of shots. But there’s this weird perception that all he does is fling shots from the perimeter when he’s probably the most effective player on the team at getting to the net with speed.

Tippett exits the "under 25" bracket in 3 weeks. He is tied for 46th in goals in the NHL.

He's a good player and the contract is fine value.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Tippet has 30 5on5 goals since 22/23 season. Good enough to be 33rd over the past two seasons. G has 34 goals and is top20.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They'd be overjoyed if he was a 40 goal scorer.

JVR's best seasons were 36, 30, and 29, his best at ES was 25 and 23.
He got 5x7 when it was 8.8% of the cap, not 7.1%.
Voracek's career highs were 22 and 23 goals, and he got 8.25M when it was 11.3% of the cap.
Couts' career highs are 33 and 31, 24 ES both seasons. 7.75 when it was 9.4% of the cap.

Now obviously playmaking and defense raised the value of Voracek and Couts, but it shows that 30 goals is more than enough to justify Tippett's deal.

TIppett 123g, 45 total, 35 ES,
prorates to 30 total and 23 ES goals.
2.07 pp/60, 75th in NHL, 1.09 goals/60, 38th in NHL

They're hoping for continued improvement, not necessarily goal scoring, but better defense, maybe be able to contribute on the PK at some point (where like TK, he'd be a threat to SH).

Reactions: Hexxxy

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Yeah, no, no one actually thinks this, but please don't let reality stop you, as per your habit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Based on his current play, and the cap rising, 7.1% of the cap which will decline throughout his contract is a reasonable price for a 25 year old 2RW. His scoring as a Flyer has been at a low 1st line/high 2nd line level over a year and a half.

I don't think they expect 40 goal seasons, I think they'd be happy with his current production with some improvement in other aspects of his game. If there's a further uptick in offense, even better.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Realized cap savings or not, I'm just not a fan of giving non-foundational players 8 years worth of term. I mean, the Flyers are one of the most aggressive teams in the league with long term contract structuring, and how often has it truly worked out?
What's a foundational player?
A top six winger doesn't quality?

If he ends up on the 3rd line it won't be his play but extending TK, Michkov coming over, Farabee and Foerster taking the top 2 LW spots. In which case, "why me worry?"

hockeynormy

Oct 21, 2023
Would have preferred 6x6m, but this is fine. You’re getting UFA years of a likely 30+ goal scorer. Was never going to come cheap, and if you’re one of those who believes their window will be opening in 2027 or whatever, then you get the benefit of a discount in those years when he’d probably command $8M on the open market had he taken a 3-year deal at, say, $5M AAV.

more like "Wants-to-be-here"

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
What's a foundational player?
A top six winger doesn't quality?

If he ends up on the 3rd line it won't be his play but extending TK, Michkov coming over, Farabee and Foerster taking the top 2 LW spots. In which case, "why me worry?"
Foundational would mean elite/upper echelon players you build the roster around, Giroux and Couturier types.

Tippett is a good middle six possession driving winger. A good organization drafts and develops those guys at a high enough level that they don't feel compelled to marry themselves to them for a decade at a time (and thus finds cheap production spots on the roster). This feels a bit like try hard justification on the Giroux trade more than anything to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad