Confirmed with Link: Owen Tippett contract extension, 8 years x $6.2M

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Boston replaces Bergeron with freakin' Coyle and keeps winning.

They need a top six center, but if you surround a ROR type with top wings like say Michkov and TK, he doesn't have to be elite to be highly productive.

The tank train left town in 2012 and 2018, that's when the Flyers could have torn the team apart, accumulated a bunch of 1st rd picks and turned it around in 3-4 years. Now it would take 2 years just to dismantle the team and get value, and another few years to draft and a few more years to build the core.

People who want to tank now basically want to trade their young core, b/c that's the only way to be bad enough to draft in the top 5 for a few years, which means you'd then have to rebuild a young core, drafting 2-3 top 5 players isn't enough to build a team. So you're talking something on the order of 5-7 years AFTER taking a couple years to blow it up.
People get addicted to the idea of burning down everything for draft picks in the hopes of drafting superstar saviors. To the point where they don't think any other path is acceptable or workable.

The Flyers are building a good young core, that will be in their primes when Michkov arrives in 2026, and will continue to add to it before he gets here.

They have good draft capital that will get even better when they trade players like Laughton and Walker. They will probably be able to move up in the draft using that capital. Or they can use assets to trade for players who fit their timeline.

Not to mention the cap will be going up, and with a young team they will have room to add a prime UFA or two by Michkov's arrival.

Hence, they will be adding Michkov to a good, deep, young team with many players in their primes. They'll be able to add a vet or two if they need it via trade or free agency.

Yet people would rather burn it down and start a rebuild from scratch, going back to square one, setting things back a good 6+ years, and adding Michkov to a losing, bottom-feeder team. Sure he'll just love that plan!

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nobody has done that.

The Flyers are choosing the hardest and least likely path to success after showing many times that they aren't up for it. They have refused to do things that might make things easier or more likely to succeed.

It's going to build character in all of us

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers are on a good path. Will have a strong young core to add Michkov to in 2026.

And have three more drafts, three more off seasons, to add to it.

And they’re going to have plenty of picks, ammo to possibly move up or otherwise acquire a high-end prospect/player.

But no, let’s tear the whole thing down & not even give them a chance to add a stud or two over 3 yrs to a young team that’s already on the cusp of the playoffs.

What an incredibly defeatist position. The love of tanking so you can have a lottery prayer at a God who rarely exists in drafts, anyway, is a sickness.

I can only assume people don’t watch the games if they’d rather take this path of losing as much as possible for a lonnng time & hope you get lucky instead of building on an already improving young organization.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers are on a good path. Will have a strong young core to add Michkov to in 2026.

And they’re going to have plenty of picks, ammo to possibly move up or otherwise acquire a high-end prospect/player.

But no, let’s tear the whole thing down & not even give them a chance to add a stud or two over 3 yrs to a young team that’s already on the cusp of the playoffs.

What an incredibly defeatist position. The love of tanking so you can have a lottery prayer at a God who rarely exists in drafts, anyway, is a sickness.

I can only assume people don’t watch the games if they’d rather take this path of losing as much as possible for a lonnng time & hope you get lucky instead of building on an already improving young organization.

I remember telling people the same thing 10 years ago after the Richards and Carter trades when people were pointing out that the timelines of the roster didn't make any sense and they needed to sell more to try and avoid a perpetual cycle of topping out at mediocre. Those people were right. I was wrong. I've learned, which is a very positive and wholesome thing to do.

pooch

May 30, 2017

The people who want to tank are not talking about selling the young core. They are talking about trading the older players to add to they young core to align with Michkov's timeline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The people who want to tank are not talking about selling the young core. They are talking about trading the older players to add to they young core to align with Michkov's timeline.
What older players?

Couts, Atkinson, Risto will bring little in a trade due to their age and contracts.
Walker, Seeler, Laughton, Hathaway are on the block, Staal and Deslauriers, well . . .

After that you have Sanheim (27), TK (26), Poehling (25), Tippett (24), Frost (24), Cates (24), Ersson (24), Farabee (23), York (23), Zamula (23), Foerster (22), Brink (22), Drysdale (21).

So if you wanted to tank you'd have to trade everyone older than 23.

pooch

May 30, 2017
What older players?

Couts, Atkinson, Risto will bring little in a trade due to their age and contracts.
Walker, Seeler, Laughton, Hathaway are on the block, Staal and Deslauriers, well . . .

After that you have Sanheim (27), TK (26), Poehling (25), Tippett (24), Frost (24), Cates (24), Ersson (24), Farabee (23), York (23), Zamula (23), Foerster (22), Brink (22), Drysdale (21).

So if you wanted to tank you'd have to trade everyone older than 23.
Walker
Seeler
Risto
Staal
Laughton
ND
Hathaway
Atkinson

Everyone over 25. I could go either way with TK. I would have to be blown away to trade him....same with Couts. I'm also not giving away Sanheim but if the offer was good enough, I'd move him too.

They dont want to trade Laughton and are talking about resigning Seeler. That is awful (I like both of those players, but they dont fit the timeline and have some value).

At a minimum, Walker, Seeler and Laughton need to go this deadline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Walker
Seeler
Risto
Staal
Laughton
ND
Hathaway
Atkinson

Everyone over 25. I could go either way with TK. I would have to be blown away to trade him....same with Couts. I'm also not giving away Sanheim but if the offer was good enough, I'd move him too.

They dont want to trade Laughton and are talking about resigning Seeler. That is awful (I like both of those players, but they dont fit the timeline and have some value).

At a minimum, Walker, Seeler and Laughton need to go this deadline.
The only player over 25 who'd bring a significant return is TK, and it would be a late 1st, 2nd, and a A- prospect or so (no one trades elite prospects). Look at similar trades. You're not getting a lot for the rest of that list, and opening up roster spots for not ready for the NHL players will help a "tank," but only into the #10-15 area - you'd have to strip the roster to get to Chicago, Anaheim, SJ, CBJ levels of futility.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only player over 25 who'd bring a significant return is TK, and it would be a late 1st, 2nd, and a A- prospect or so (no one trades elite prospects). Look at similar trades. You're not getting a lot for the rest of that list, and opening up roster spots for not ready for the NHL players will help a "tank," but only into the #10-15 area - you'd have to strip the roster to get to Chicago, Anaheim, SJ, CBJ levels of futility.

Why does it need to be a significant return?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why does it need to be a significant return?
Because they're not tanking to the top 3, for one thing, you'd have to strip the roster, not just trade TK, Flyers are 14 points ahead of CBJ and Ottawa for #5. 18 points ahead of Anaheim for #3.

So if you're trading players and not adding significant young assets, you're going to be in the worst of all worlds, picking in the #6-10 area indefinitely.

pooch

May 30, 2017
Walker, Seeler and Laughton have value and can get you more of those top 100 picks you were talking about. Like I said, I'd listen on TK. If you trade a bunch of these guys, chances are you have to take back an expiring contract or two which could fill those spots (and get you an extra pick or 2?) for not ready for the NHL players. Holding on to the 3 I mentioned is dumb. If they really want to bring them back maybe they can via free agency in the summer. Right now, sell sell sell.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Because they're not tanking to the top 3, for one thing, you'd have to strip the roster, not just trade TK, Flyers are 14 points ahead of CBJ and Ottawa for #5. 18 points ahead of Anaheim for #3.

So if you're trading players and not adding significant young assets, you're going to be in the worst of all worlds, picking in the #6-10 area indefinitely.

You get draft picks. You understand how probability works. You understand that more picks is better than fewer picks.

They won't win anything on their current path. (Which is good and we should be grateful) They need to try a different path.

Last edited:
Reactions: GapToothedWonder

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course they're going to trade players not in their future plans for draft picks, depending what is offered. Briere's been pretty upfront about that, the "he's reluctant to trade" talk is about puffing up players, SOP.

Where it gets tricky is someone like TK, what are the odds that a late 1st, 2nd and B+ prospect will be as productive the next 7-8 years as TK? And he also brings intangibles to the table, he's "our rat." The guy who gets the team fired up. You want a few veterans on the team when they're competitive in a few years. TK is a good fit as one of those guys, instead of a mercenary.

I'd be more willing to move Sanheim b/c he's a solid 2nd pair guy, and that's easier to find. They gave him a 1st pair workload and he wore down. But that contract makes him hard to move for value. So I have no problem keeping him b/c he's not grossly overpaid either.

Everyone else is too young to move. When Michkov comes over, Tippett, Frost, etc. will only be 27, in their peak seasons. You can move them out over time as young replacements develop.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Of course they're going to trade players not in their future plans for draft picks, depending what is offered. Briere's been pretty upfront about that, the "he's reluctant to trade" talk is about puffing up players, SOP.

Where it gets tricky is someone like TK, what are the odds that a late 1st, 2nd and B+ prospect will be as productive the next 7-8 years as TK? And he also brings intangibles to the table, he's "our rat." The guy who gets the team fired up. You want a few veterans on the team when they're competitive in a few years. TK is a good fit as one of those guys, instead of a mercenary.

I'd be more willing to move Sanheim b/c he's a solid 2nd pair guy, and that's easier to find. They gave him a 1st pair workload and he wore down. But that contract makes him hard to move for value. So I have no problem keeping him b/c he's not grossly overpaid either.

Everyone else is too young to move. When Michkov comes over, Tippett, Frost, etc. will only be 27, in their peak seasons. You can move them out over time as young replacements develop.

Their actions so far stretching back to the summer have matched that talk. I think their honesty is positive.

pooch

May 30, 2017

What do you think Walker, Seeler and Laughton bring back in trades?

I think if they trade TK, the late 1st is not the main piece. They will be looking to get back a young high end prospect as the main piece....preferably a center. Again, I wouldn't give him away, but now is a great time to shop him since he has a year left at only 5.5.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm fine with re-signing TK (and have been for two years now), but seeing what Lindholm returned, I think you have to listen. I would imagine you could get back a very decent prospect + 1st round pick.
I'd have to get more than a "very decent" prospect, Flyers are stockpiling picks and prospects, even without Gauthier, I'm waiting to see where Wheeler ranks their farm system going into the next two drafts. So a 2nd pair D-man or marginal top six forward doesn't move the needle.

Now if you can land a young center with 1C potential, that's another story. But what contender has that kind of prospect hanging around?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'd have to get more than a "very decent" prospect, Flyers are stockpiling picks and prospects, even without Gauthier, I'm waiting to see where Wheeler ranks their farm system going into the next two drafts. So a 2nd pair D-man or marginal top six forward doesn't move the needle.

Now if you can land a young center with 1C potential, that's another story. But what contender has that kind of prospect hanging around?

I guess that's kind of what I meant for as a very decent prospect. And I don't know if that player exists, to be honest...But if 1/2 of a season of Lindholm buys you a 100 point OHL defenseman (I have no idea if Brzustewicz is any good other than those points are impressive) and a 1st rounder, I have to imagine that two years of TK is very similar and/or slightly more. Admittedly, I've never been a good judge of value.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I guess that's kind of what I meant for as a very decent prospect. And I don't know if that player exists, to be honest...But if 1/2 of a season of Lindholm buys you a 100 point OHL defenseman (I have no idea if Brzustewicz is any good other than those points are impressive) and a 1st rounder, I have to imagine that two years of TK is very similar and/or slightly more. Admittedly, I've never been a good judge of value.
TK would get you good value, he'd get you good value at next year's TDL.

If you were blowing this team up, it would make sense, but if you're looking to be competitive in a few years, you want an asset in return that will be as good as TK in 2026-30 (when he's 29-32).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm fine with re-signing TK (and have been for two years now), but seeing what Lindholm returned, I think you have to listen. I would imagine you could get back a very decent prospect + 1st round pick.
Why would you trade your 26-year-old best player for a "very decent prospect + 1st round pick."

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad