Owen Sound Attack 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I'm not a big fan of this "we need a big physical shut down D man" theory. People seem to think that is what Woolley and Chibrikov were last year. Really? Watch the Flint series again. How did that work out? They were both too slow vs the likes of Ohhtmann, Piercy, Lombardi etc. We need quick, puck moving D who can get to loose pucks and send the forwards north quickly. With this fwd group I think you will see some of the offensive D start to join the rush more and become part of the offense. This team is going to be playing in the other teams end a lot this year. So I see Sedley, Uens, Schweingruber, and maybe Rogers playing more impactful roles this year.

Steen will be a physical presence this year. Thacker has the size and ability for that role as well if he can earn a spot.

I honestly feel that Jordan or Okitundu are the odd men out if they keep Seed around. Also not a big fan of keeping an OA D man if he is not head and shoulders above the other D. OA D need to be contributors. One could argue we didn't have that last year either with the departure of Perrot. Wooley was a great leader and part of the community but was never the same after the fight.
Don't think your wrong about Woolley, but I do think that Perrott was the perfect OA D, he was tough as nails but also moved the puck. I also agree with Seed but see no harm in starting the year with him, he had a 10/15 game set last year where he looked like a player, then got hurt and was not the same.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I'm not a big fan of this "we need a big physical shut down D man" theory. People seem to think that is what Woolley and Chibrikov were last year. Really? Watch the Flint series again. How did that work out? They were both too slow vs the likes of Ohhtmann, Piercy, Lombardi etc. We need quick, puck moving D who can get to loose pucks and send the forwards north quickly. With this fwd group I think you will see some of the offensive D start to join the rush more and become part of the offense. This team is going to be playing in the other teams end a lot this year. So I see Sedley, Uens, Schweingruber, and maybe Rogers playing more impactful roles this year.

Steen will be a physical presence this year. Thacker has the size and ability for that role as well if he can earn a spot.

I honestly feel that Jordan or Okitundu are the odd men out if they keep Seed around. Also not a big fan of keeping an OA D man if he is not head and shoulders above the other D. OA D need to be contributors. One could argue we didn't have that last year either with the departure of Perrot. Wooley was a great leader and part of the community but was never the same after the fight.
I'm not going to disagree with you at all. Wooley and Chibber were however our shutdown guys. I love both but you are right in your assesment and that is one of the reasons why we were 6th in the conference. I expect more this year I expect top 4 in the conference. Maybe Steen for one can take the role I just worry that it's a big ask for an 18 yr old sophmore to step up and shut down NHL ready fwds which there are always a few in the league. If a couple of D prospects prove me wrong there are times were I enjoy the taste of Crow and will gladly feed on it. I can't wait for camp to start and see how hard everyone worked over the summer because if anyone didn't work hard over the summer they could find themselves on the outside looking in.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
I'm not going to disagree with you at all. Wooley and Chibber were however our shutdown guys. I love both but you are right in your assesment and that is one of the reasons why we were 6th in the conference. I expect more this year I expect top 4 in the conference. Maybe Steen for one can take the role I just worry that it's a big ask for an 18 yr old sophmore to step up and shut down NHL ready fwds which there are always a few in the league. If a couple of D prospects prove me wrong there are times were I enjoy the taste of Crow and will gladly feed on it. I can't wait for camp to start and see how hard everyone worked over the summer because if anyone didn't work hard over the summer they could find themselves on the outside looking in.
Sedley gets exposed a lot for how slow he is, or how lazy he is back checking after a rush. He is decent offensively but a liability on the backend

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Sedley gets exposed a lot for how slow he is, or how lazy he is back checking after a rush. He is decent offensively but a liability on the backend
Sedley will be the top D to start the year. His best defense is his offense and skating ability. He's going to require a partner that helps with his deficiencies in his own zone. Steen, Jordan and Okitundu should all be candidates with Steen being the front runner in my opinion. I think if you look at the D roster going into camp the pairs will likely feature an offensive D paired with a more defensive minded D. Something such as:

Sedley - Steen
Schweingruber - Jordan
Uens - Okitundu

Obviously camp is looking to be highly competitive this year and I wouldn't be shocked to see a surprise or two. I'm hoping for big things from Uens. I thought he really impressed as a 16 year old last season. He skates very well and showed good instincts offensively. He didn't back down from anybody and in my opinion has the ability to be a stud on the back end for the Attack.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Sedley will be the top D to start the year. His best defense is his offense and skating ability. He's going to require a partner that helps with his deficiencies in his own zone. Steen, Jordan and Okitundu should all be candidates with Steen being the front runner in my opinion. I think if you look at the D roster going into camp the pairs will likely feature an offensive D paired with a more defensive minded D. Something such as:

Sedley - Steen
Schweingruber - Jordan
Uens - Okitundu

Obviously camp is looking to be highly competitive this year and I wouldn't be shocked to see a surprise or two. I'm hoping for big things from Uens. I thought he really impressed as a 16 year old last season. He skates very well and showed good instincts offensively. He didn't back down from anybody and in my opinion has the ability to be a stud on the back end for the Attack.
What about Seed ???

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
What about Seed ???
I don't see him on the team unless he blows the doors off in camp. In my opinion, if he doesn't earn a top pair role, he doesn't deserve a spot over the younger players. I don't personally believe you sit the likes of Uens, Rogers, Jordan or Okitundu in the press box for Seed unless he shows his play warrants it. He's not particularly good in his own zone, he doesn't drive/create a lot of offense, and takes too many undisciplined penalties. If we factor in special teams, Sedley, Uens and Schweinbruber will be his direct competition for PP time. Steen, Jordan and Okitundu will be the PK competition. He has to show to he deserves those roles/opportunities over the competition, at least for me.

In my opinion it just speaks to the quality of talent available to the organization that a player like Seed is a question mark to make the team. It's a good problem to have for Dale DeGray. If Seed does have a strong camp it likely means that one of the other contenders for that roster spot/role are leaving the organization.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015

Sedley - Steen
Schweingruber - Jordan
Uens - Okitundu

He gets exposed for rushing to many times causing odd man rushes back the other way.. he rarely hustles back to his D zone. He wouldn’t be my top choice D man in my opinion

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Sedley gets exposed a lot for how slow he is, or how lazy he is back checking after a rush. He is decent offensively but a liability on the backen

Sedley - Steen
Schweingruber - Jordan
Uens - Okitundu

I'm going to point out your quote we don't need a Physical shut down guy with 1 name Matt Stanisz. He was to The Gambler Jesse Blacker what you are wanting for Sam Sedley. A Stanisz type d man is also what I want in my upgrade. Maybe we are on the same page.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
He gets exposed for rushing to many times causing odd man rushes back the other way.. he rarely hustles back to his D zone. He wouldn’t be my top choice D man in my opinion
I think that's fair criticism. He's going to be tasked with filling the minutes Woolley and Chibrikov ate last season. He's the most experienced returning defenseman and in my opinion should get the chance to at least start the season as the top guy, at least until one of the other D shows that they deserve those minutes. It will be up to him to meet the challenge of the role.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just looking at camp rosters from 2021 and noticed Thacker was the only 16 year old to advance from rookie camp to main camp and not play last season. Have to imagine he finds his way onto the team this year. Going to be tough to crack the roster on the back end in camp with Caldwell and Young also in the mix. It's going to be a fascinating story to watch play out. I think there will likely be some moves made at the end of camp to accommodate guys who don't make the team. The Attack may not have the star power on the back end but definitely have a bit of an embarrassment of riches in OHL quality talent on D.

Reactions: AttackSound

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Just looking at camp rosters from 2021 and noticed Thacker was the only 16 year old to advance from rookie camp to main camp and not play last season. Have to imagine he finds his way onto the team this year. Going to be tough to crack the roster on the back end in camp with Caldwell and Young also in the mix. It's going to be a fascinating story to watch play out. I think there will likely be some moves made at the end of camp to accommodate guys who don't make the team. The Attack may not have the star power on the back end but definitely have a bit of an embarrassment of riches in OHL quality talent on D.

Collingwood Blues just moved Conner to Oakville for 2 players. Smart move on there part? They get 2 players for a player they may not have. Watching that video almost any other year he would have been on the team. I can't wait for camp to start.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Collingwood Blues just moved Conner to Oakville for 2 players. Smart move on there part? They get 2 players for a player they may not have. Watching that video almost any other year he would have been on the team. I can't wait for camp to start.
I think the 6'4" and 205lbs frame with what appears to be a decent two way game is too enticing to pass up if he has a good camp. I'm excited to see the camp rosters and get things rolling. The ice is freshly painted and ready to go!

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
I’m really excited about this years team but I’m also nervous about that dreaded sophomore jinx for a lot of the second year players.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Here how i see your roster

LWCRWLDRDG
BarlowPetrovskyGoureSchweingruberSedleyChenard
LawrenceGuindonBurroughsSeedUensVotary
BonaiutoBryantFantinoOkitunduSteen
TersigniCormierChafeRogers
MoreyKeyJordan

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

LWCRWLDRDG
MoreyKeyJordan
Well will see how the lines shake out this season.

Typically the lines don't work themselves out until we get a month into the season, and guys get a chance to build chemistry. A lot of the time lines are mixed up for the first few games to try and get a look at what the coaching staff has.

Schweingruber is one that I wouldn't get sold on yet until we see him in camp, not because I don't believe he'll come over to play but more will he be worth a premium spot on the roster.

Morey and Key maybe in the realm of possibilities but once again will they be in the teams plans well that will come down to what the depth chart will look like. Fantino will be a bit of a puzzle box this season he should be in the mix to stay in the depth chart. I think will see Rogers rotate around on the backend this year as we will a fair bit of defensive depth.

Lawrence and Bonaiuto will be interesting to see if both come back healthy they could be good depth players but are realistically a 17-19yo sophomores with still unknowns on their potentials. Beyond that there's always long-shots that were in last years camp who could surprise the team and take a spot.

This is what training camps is all about, what ifs and surprises. Hey ask Sean Durzi about surprises right.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015

Typically the lines don't work themselves out until we get a month into the season, and guys get a chance to build chemistry. A lot of the time lines are mixed up for the first few games to try and get a look at what the coaching staff has.

Schweingruber is one that I wouldn't get sold on yet until we see him in camp, not because I don't believe he'll come over to play but more will he be worth a premium spot on the roster.

Morey and Key maybe in the realm of possibilities but once again will they be in the teams plans well that will come down to what the depth chart will look like. Fantino will be a bit of a puzzle box this season he should be in the mix to stay in the depth chart. I think will see Rogers rotate around on the backend this year as we will a fair bit of defensive depth.

Lawrence and Bonaiuto will be interesting to see if both come back healthy they could be good depth players but are realistically a 17-19yo sophomores with still unknowns on their potentials. Beyond that there's always long-shots that were in last years camp who could surprise the team and take a spot.

This is what training camps is all about, what ifs and surprises. Hey ask Sean Durzi about surprises right.
Why do you have to shit on everyone’s opinion?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I’m really excited about this years team but I’m also nervous about that dreaded sophomore jinx for a lot of the second year players.
I definitely hear you on the sophomore thing.It didn't appear from the U18 or World Jrs that Colby or Servac are going to suffer. With the # of sophomores thats acually scary if it was a big thing lets pray it doesn't exist.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I definitely hear you on the sophomore thing.It didn't appear from the U18 or World Jrs that Colby or Servac are going to suffer. With the # of sophomores thats acually scary if it was a big thing lets pray it doesn't exist.
I don't think it's anything to worry about. I think the big skill guys like Guindon, Barlow, and Petrovsky will continue to improve. Could be more of an issue further down the depth chart. Example, I think Fantino and Bonaiuto are good players but will be pressed by the depth of the organization if they don't perform.

I didn't realize Petrovsky was so young. He just turned 18 in early August. He looked really good in the world junior tournament and I think he's going to have a big year. I really like his tool kit and the competitiveness he brings every night.

Reactions: KFawcett

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021

LWCRWLDRDG
MoreyKeyJordan

This is my prediction of what things will look like depth wise to start the season. I have a feeling we might see a few deals being made though.

Log jam of mediocre D on the left side. I believe Rogers plays the right side but put him under left as he likely stands to rotate through a lot.

WCRWLDRDG
GuindonPetrovskyBarlowSchweingruberSedleyChenard
BurroughsLawrenceGoureSeedUensVotary
BonaiutoBryantFantinoThackerSteen
LangdonJordan/Okitundu
* Thacker and Langdon are the only two not signed.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

I think you mean well enough, but most of your posts are just saying posters do not know anything and to wait for the season or game.

With all due respect, thats not how message boards work. You really should consider toning down the condescending posts, I don't think you mean to bring that out here, but it seems like that is how people are taking it, including myself.

Reactions: PensFan101

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
This is my prediction of what things will look like depth wise to start the season. I have a feeling we might see a few deals being made though.

Log jam of mediocre D on the left side. I believe Rogers plays the right side but put him under left as he likely stands to rotate through a lot.

WCRWLDRDG
GuindonPetrovskyBarlowSchweingruberSedleyChenard
BurroughsLawrenceGoureSeedUensVotary
BonaiutoBryantFantinoThackerSteen
LangdonJordan/Okitundu
* Thacker and Langdon are the only two not signed.

PetrovskiGuindonBarlow
GoureLawrenceBurroughs
Bonaituo BryantFantino
TersigniCormerChafe
Morey
SchweinggruberSedley
SeedSteen
Okitundo/JordanUens
Young/ThackerRogers
Chenard
Votary

I could see an 02 forward added during the pre-season or early in the season
I could see George and Langdon signed and re-assigned to local Jr teams
They will need a D upgrade at some point, but Id like to see what this group can do before rushing into things.

This will be a fun year.

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021
PetrovskiGuindonBarlow
GoureLawrenceBurroughs
BonaituoBryantFantino
TersigniCormerChafe
Morey
SchweinggruberSedley
SeedSteen
Okitundo/JordanUens
Young/ThackerRogers
Chenard
Votary

I could see an 02 forward added during the pre-season or early in the season
I could see George and Langdon signed and re-assigned to local Jr teams
They will need a D upgrade at some point, but Id like to see what this group can do before rushing into things.

This will be a fun year.
Carrying 10 D would be a huge mistake in my opinion when they typically only dress 7. Too many young kids sitting in the stands as scratches when they could be playing elsewhere. I'm not sold on the left side as I mentioned earlier. I think Seed is expendable. Not sure why Schweingrubber is being anointed to top pair by many when we have no idea how he is going to fit in yet. His numbers overseas were average at best. Again, If Thacker cracks the line up I think Jordan and Okitundu are on the outside looking in. Thacker and Steen make for the big, physical shut down pair that people insist we need.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Carrying 10 D would be a huge mistake in my opinion when they typically only dress 7. Too many young kids sitting in the stands as scratches when they could be playing elsewhere. I'm not sold on the left side as I mentioned earlier. I think Seed is expendable. Not sure why Schweingrubber is being anointed to top pair by many when we have no idea how he is going to fit in yet. His numbers overseas were average at best. Again, If Thacker cracks the line up I think Jordan and Okitundu are on the outside looking in. Thacker and Steen make for the big, physical shut down pair that people insist we need.

The slashes refer to 1 or the other, not both. I don't see them keeping Jordan and Okitundu and I don't see them keeping Young and Thacker. I see them keeping 8, Rodgers being a late birthday means he can probably be an 8, play him 25 games or so and not hurt him too much.

Schweingruber is there by default, I don't know if this team will have a true top pair LD all year, but Im also not sure that it matters. If you have Uens and Jordan or Okitundo as your bottom pair, that's some pretty good depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad