Owen Sound Attack 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
The slashes refer to 1 or the other, not both. I don't see them keeping Jordan and Okitundu and I don't see them keeping Young and Thacker. I see them keeping 8, Rodgers being a late birthday means he can probably be an 8, play him 25 games or so and not hurt him too much.

Schweingruber is there by default, I don't know if this team will have a true top pair LD all year, but Im also not sure that it matters. If you have Uens and Jordan or Okitundo as your bottom pair, that's some pretty good depth.
I'm aligned with your thinking. There's inevitably going to be a good player or two pushed out on D. Seed and Schweingruber aren't locks by any means I don't think. Likely an 18 year old or 17 year old is going to get squeezed by way of the numbers game. It's going to be an absolute dog fight in camp for roster spots barring some injury issues.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I don't think it's anything to worry about. I think the big skill guys like Guindon, Barlow, and Petrovsky will continue to improve. Could be more of an issue further down the depth chart. Example, I think Fantino and Bonaiuto are good players but will be pressed by the depth of the organization if they don't perform.

I didn't realize Petrovsky was so young. He just turned 18 in early August. He looked really good in the world junior tournament and I think he's going to have a big year. I really like his tool kit and the competitiveness he brings every night.
I'm actually not to worried either. Yes Petrovsky could potentially have played in 3 World Jr's by the time his Jr career is done.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Carrying 10 D would be a huge mistake in my opinion when they typically only dress 7. Too many young kids sitting in the stands as scratches when they could be playing elsewhere. I'm not sold on the left side as I mentioned earlier. I think Seed is expendable. Not sure why Schweingrubber is being anointed to top pair by many when we have no idea how he is going to fit in yet. His numbers overseas were average at best. Again, If Thacker cracks the line up I think Jordan and Okitundu are on the outside looking in. Thacker and Steen make for the big, physical shut down pair that people insist we need.
I'm the guy thinking we need the physical shutdown guy but watching the highlights of Thacker and remembering the progress of Steen last season and how hard he worked I'm curious to see him at camp. I am 110% good with seeing what Steen and Thacker if he is signed can do. If they can do the job that is a bonus and if Dale wants to make any tweaks later on he hasn't used up all his cards.

Reactions: Stellar29

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'm the guy thinking we need the physical shutdown guy but watching the highlights of Thacker and remembering the progress of Steen last season and how hard he worked I'm curious to see him at camp. I am 110% good with seeing what Steen and Thacker if he is signed can do. If they can do the job that is a bonus and if Dale wants to make any tweaks later on he hasn't used up all his cards.
DD hasn't been one to burn through his cards in a season. A lot of that has to do with the SPA packages and him not wanting to guarentee players ice time.

Beyond the 1st rounders, the any player is up for spots to be signed. DD once said "When
we look at these kids in camp we don't see a round number or selection number on the ice, we see potential from kids."

This modo has be the constant in how DD builds his teams and have he chooses to tweak them.
Each draft selection is window opportunity for kids and this year is going to be an exciting one.

There is always going to be question marks in camp, but this year is going to be another stiff year for spots nonetheless.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I liked him quite a bit at camp last year, and I think 9 camps out of 10 he's a lock, but this one will be different, just too much depth and they cannot sign both Young/Thacker with Rodgers in the mix.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
That's an interesting comp for Thacker. They do definitely have a lot of similarities in their game. I think there's some maturity coming to Steen's game and we'll see some added physicality. Be interesting to see what his height and weight are in camp as he is currently listed at 6'2" and 199lbs. He definitely played with more confidence later in the year and started to show a touch of offense. I'm hoping to see him continue to grow his game and bring some stability defensively to the back end.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
I liked him quite a bit at camp last year, and I think 9 camps out of 10 he's a lock, but this one will be different, just too much depth and they cannot sign both Young/Thacker with Rodgers in the mix.
Did you see him at camp last year?? Lucky you!

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021
The preseason roster has 12 fwds and 8 D listed. Last year I believe they carried 14 fwds and 8 D the majority of the year with one of the fwds being Lawrence.

I really feel Thacker is coming to take a spot so that likely pushes one incumbent D out.

Need a couple more fwds at least, given what we saw with injuries last year. My thinking is Morey and Langdon are the front runners unless others earn a spot based on their performance in camp.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
The preseason roster has 12 fwds and 8 D listed. Last year I believe they carried 14 fwds and 8 D the majority of the year with one of the fwds being Lawrence.

I really feel Thacker is coming to take a spot so that likely pushes one incumbent D out.

Need a couple more fwds at least, given what we saw with injuries last year. My thinking is Morey and Langdon are the front runners unless others earn a spot based on their performance in camp.
Thinking an OA forward will be added

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Thinking an OA forward will be added
Would certainly be a possibility to bring in an OA(unless Portokalis or Samanski are part of the team). I don't mind the idea of starting the season with the younger players and adjusting in season by adding an OA or 19 year old if needed. There's more talent projected to be on the roster this year than any other year I can recall. If they need a veteran to help special teams or something like that during the season then by all means look outside the organization. Depending on how camp goes I would love to see them let the younger players work into those roles. I think we are starting a very good 2-3 year window to chase a championship based on the age of the core players and I think they need to do whatever helps the team within that window of opportunity.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Would certainly be a possibility to bring in an OA(unless Portokalis or Samanski are part of the team). I don't mind the idea of starting the season with the younger players and adjusting in season by adding an OA or 19 year old if needed. There's more talent projected to be on the roster this year than any other year I can recall. If they need a veteran to help special teams or something like that during the season then by all means look outside the organization. Depending on how camp goes I would love to see them let the younger players work into those roles. I think we are starting a very good 2-3 year window to chase a championship based on the age of the core players and I think they need to do whatever helps the team within that window of opportunity.
Through a lot of last season I was thinking this season would be a building year for the next 2-3 yrs and wasn't worried about O/As. Then part way thru I realized this season is not building this season is one to make a bit of a push,we have an O/A goalie who in my opinion is one of the top in the league I belisve Votary will be very good to but as of now he is unproven. This MidWest division is once again going to be a knockdown drag out slobber knocker so I feel we need to do what we need to to be as competitive as possible. O/As are a very important part of any team. Having said that I'm good with waiting a bit to make sure we have the RIGHT O/As. That is why I was having the Samanski pipedreams Josh is a very smart,well respected and liked by his teammates as well as being a very good well rounded hockey player. That is kind of the mould I would look for in adding an O/A

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Through a lot of last season I was thinking this season would be a building year for the next 2-3 yrs and wasn't worried about O/As. Then part way thru I realized this season is not building this season is one to make a bit of a push,we have an O/A goalie who in my opinion is one of the top in the league I belisve Votary will be very good to but as of now he is unproven. This MidWest division is once again going to be a knockdown drag out slobber knocker so I feel we need to do what we need to to be as competitive as possible. O/As are a very important part of any team. Having said that I'm good with waiting a bit to make sure we have the RIGHT O/As. That is why I was having the Samanski pipedreams Josh is a very smart,well respected and liked by his teammates as well as being a very good well rounded hockey player. That is kind of the mould I would look for in adding an O/A
Obviously Samanski is a pipe dream, and the Straubing website announcing his extension and May had a quote from management that praised his development last season: Joshua Samanski und Parker Tuomie bleiben in Niederbayern - Straubing Tigers (in German). He looked good at the WJC, and he's a great prospect for DEL standards (not NHL at this point). He'll be well compensated in Germany for a long time.

The team doesn't have a history of going big game fishing, at least big game that pans out (the Ceci trade was a short, and long-term bust). But there is definitely the depth and a decent draft cupboard to go shopping and add some quality. The team has so much depth, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see guys get pushed out at training camp, and that could lead to some extra draft picks.

Also something to watch is whether there is a goalie controversy this year. Chenard is the undisputed starter, but he will command most of the starts, and Votary at 18 could want more playing time. The best situation for the team is he plays great as the backup, then starts next year with George as the backup, but good goalies are increasingly scarce in the OHL and Votary getting off to a strong start could be that piece.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I agree with your line of thought. I just want to see them do whatever maximizes the competitive window. If they choose to bring in an OA I'm ok with that as long as it's a strong OA. I don't want to see an average OA come in and take away development time of a younger player who could impact the team in year two or three of this current window. Goaltending is a strength going into the season. The forward group looks to be pretty high end with solid depth. The defense group looks solid but lacking a true top guy. Maybe Sedley steps forward with a big year for them and can become a top guy. It's a strong looking line up and most of the key pieces will return the following season.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Obviously Samanski is a pipe dream, and the Straubing website announcing his extension and May had a quote from management that praised his development last season: Joshua Samanski und Parker Tuomie bleiben in Niederbayern - Straubing Tigers (in German). He looked good at the WJC, and he's a great prospect for DEL standards (not NHL at this point). He'll be well compensated in Germany for a long time.

The team doesn't have a history of going big game fishing, at least big game that pans out (the Ceci trade was a short, and long-term bust). But there is definitely the depth and a decent draft cupboard to go shopping and add some quality. The team has so much depth, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see guys get pushed out at training camp, and that could lead to some extra draft picks.

Also something to watch is whether there is a goalie controversy this year. Chenard is the undisputed starter, but he will command most of the starts, and Votary at 18 could want more playing time. The best situation for the team is he plays great as the backup, then starts next year with George as the backup, but good goalies are increasingly scarce in the OHL and Votary getting off to a strong start could be that piece.
You're bang on with the goalie situation. This is a huge year for Votary and his development. It's important he plays more games this year and prove he's the starter the following season. Affording Chenard some additional rest this season would be an added bonus. Chenard played a lot last year and should be tasked with the tough match ups this season. Votary has the tool kit to be a good goalie and showed growth in his game late in the year last season. If he continues to build off that then I think the team is in good shape.

There's lots of hype about George but expecting him to take over #1 duties at 17 is a tall task. It would be ideal to have Votary in position to run the starter role and work in George as a 20-25 game back up.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

Your absolutely right D.D isn't the major splash type of guy so don't expect that. He has however shown a knack for adding quality for a fair price. I still think we may be able to move young bodies for a Quality O/A I'm even good for slightly overpaying with young prospects for the right O/A because we are set up pretty good for the next couple years. I know they are planning for Votary to get more starts and the great thingabout that is Nick is a smart team first guy so he will be fine with playing a bit less. He knows he's going to get most of the BIG games.

Reactions: PensFan101

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Your absolutely right D.D isn't the major splash type of guy so don't expect that. He has however shown a knack for adding quality for a fair price. I still think we may be able to move young bodies for a Quality O/A I'm even good for slightly overpaying with young prospects for the right O/A because we are set up pretty good for the next couple years. I know they are planning for Votary to get more starts and the great thingabout that is Nick is a smart team first guy so he will be fine with playing a bit less. He knows he's going to get most of the BIG games.
You guys are both right, I really see the need to make smart but cost effective additions, you want to have enough picks to make a bigger run the following season. Benefit is they are not in the Niagara situation where they are forcing the issue, they are in more of a wait for the right F and D to come available and make a smart move.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
You guys are both right, I really see the need to make smart but cost effective additions, you want to have enough picks to make a bigger run the following season. Benefit is they are not in the Niagara situation where they are forcing the issue, they are in more of a wait for the right F and D to come available and make a smart move.
IMHO championship year we had arguably the best group of 3 OA's we've ever had and if memory serves me correct they all came at a very respectable price.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Pre Season 2022 Roster is posted on the Attack website.

Some notable jersey numbers:
2 - Rogers
8 - Cormier
10 - Schweingruber
24 - Jordan
37 - Terisigni

Also camp schedule is posted for next week and spectators are permitted in the building throughout camp.

Reactions: AttackBeacher

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
And no Portokalis, assume he’s moving on.
I had heard near the end of last season he was going to school but wasn't sure as I never saw an official announcement. Opens up an O/A spot my guess now is they wait and see who gets sent back from pro camps and is a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad