Owen Sound Attack 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021
Perhaps his decision not to return last year was related to the uncertainty around Covid and the season actually being played, and possibly a factor for the year prior as well - seeing the OHL was shut down entirely. A big risk to uproot yourself and move across the ocean only to have the season or large portions of it cancelled. My thoughts on a few issues raised above. If he decided to come you take him whether he is considered an import or not. Servac would stay, the new import pick is unproven and an 03 already. The only decision would be who stay between Seed and Portakalis as third OA. I'm positive none of this will come to fruition but exciting to discuss.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Perhaps his decision not to return last year was related to the uncertainty around Covid and the season actually being played, and possibly a factor for the year prior as well - seeing the OHL was shut down entirely. A big risk to uproot yourself and move across the ocean only to have the season or large portions of it cancelled. My thoughts on a few issues raised above. If he decided to come you take him whether he is considered an import or not. Servac would stay, the new import pick is unproven and an 03 already. The only decision would be who stay between Seed and Portakalis as third OA. I'm positive none of this will come to fruition but exciting to discuss.
That was my thought as well. The certainty of playing in the DEL vs the uncertainty of the OHL which didn't play at all the previous year was likely the biggest issue. The fact that the OHL successfully completed the entire season and playoffs last season has to ease those concerns which I would imagine makes it an easier decision to come back to the OHL should he want to do that.

As far as the OA situation with Seed goes, I think the depth and quality of the Attack defenders returning very much puts his roster spot at risk. I have a hard time sitting the younger guys to play Seed unless he earns a top pair spot in the lineup. He's not a particularly strong defender, doesn't provide a lot of offense which was supposed to be his strength and he takes too many undisciplined penalties for my liking. He needs a good camp in my opinion to keep his roster spot.

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021
That was my thought as well. The certainty of playing in the DEL vs the uncertainty of the OHL which didn't play at all the previous year was likely the biggest issue. The fact that the OHL successfully completed the entire season and playoffs last season has to ease those concerns which I would imagine makes it an easier decision to come back to the OHL should he want to do that.

As far as the OA situation with Seed goes, I think the depth and quality of the Attack defenders returning very much puts his roster spot at risk. I have a hard time sitting the younger guys to play Seed unless he earns a top pair spot in the lineup. He's not a particularly strong defender, doesn't provide a lot of offense which was supposed to be his strength and he takes too many undisciplined penalties for my liking. He needs a good camp in my opinion to keep his roster spot.
I swear our brains are meshed. I felt like I wrote this ^^^^^. I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Stellar29

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I'm 98% positive Covid was why he hasn't been here. I know Dale was pretty high on him when he signed him. Just my opinion but I agree Dale has probably been in touch all along and the ball is in Josh's court it depends what he feels is best for him. Again long shot but nice to dream about until camp actually starts.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Haven't checked after last nights games but heading into last night Josh Samanski was 6th in WJ scoring. I don't care how big a longshot he is I look at the mock lineups and add in his name and I AM NOT quitting praying to the hockey gods until training camp starts and he's not here lol. Felt bad for Servac last night Slovakia was completely outmanned by Canada

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
If you want to go full on conspiracy theory Attack twitter seems to be on board. No prior mention of Samanski making team Germany or Germany's schedule like they had done with Petrovsky for "Bear Watch". Likely just an oversight but maybe something cooking.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
If you want to go full on conspiracy theory Attack twitter seems to be on board. No prior mention of Samanski making team Germany or Germany's schedule like they had done with Petrovsky for "Bear Watch". Likely just an oversight but maybe something cooking.

Don't read into it too much Samanski is playing in Germany this season. As I stated before good to see an alumni playing in the tournament but I don't think it will be very likely will see him return as a 20yo this season.

If he does bonus but I'm not holding my breath on it.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Don't read into it too much Samanski is playing in Germany this season. As I stated before good to see an alumni playing in the tournament but I don't think it will be very likely will see him return as a 20yo this season.

If he does bonus but I'm not holding my breath on it.
I don't honestly believe anyone is reading to much into this. Hell I started this whole mess lol and I KNOW it's a very long shot. This time of year is for dreams just look at all the Leaf fans EVERY year they dream they are a contender than realize they are still a PREtender. Yes I fall asleep at night and dream about an Attack lineup that includes Josh Samanski and Iassac Howard. That is an amazing DREAM with a very good ending ROFLMAQ! Hell I'll go as far as saying if Josh is here at the start of the season I'll do an Andrew Shaw on opening night and dive off the red carpet and swim on the ice LOL! Here is something to think about if Josh grew up in Germany dreaming of playing in the DEL why did he come over as a 16 yr old to play for Brantford 99ers and why did he sign with the Attack? I know there could be a few reasons but just some food for thought.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I don't honestly believe anyone is reading to much into this. Hell I started this whole mess lol and I KNOW it's a very long shot. This time of year is for dreams just look at all the Leaf fans EVERY year they dream they are a contender than realize they are still a PREtender. Yes I fall asleep at night and dream about an Attack lineup that includes Josh Samanski and Iassac Howard. That is an amazing DREAM with a very good ending ROFLMAQ! Hell I'll go as far as saying if Josh is here at the start of the season I'll do an Andrew Shaw on opening night and dive off the red carpet and swim on the ice LOL! Here is something to think about if Josh grew up in Germany dreaming of playing in the DEL why did he come over as a 16 yr old to play for Brantford 99ers and why did he sign with the Attack? I know there could be a few reasons but just some food for thought.
You should probably dream higher than an OA import who’s max production would likely be 15 goals and 50 points…. Using an OA and import spot on him would be a huge mistake for OS, not the 2nd coming of Jesus like you make it seem like in this post

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well all know why Joshua came to OS, I don't think we need to go down that song and dance.

Good to see him make team Germany non the less. Although there's a long list of players who have fit in that "Hope's and Dreams" file in everyone's brains every season.

Wouldn't you agree?

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
You should probably dream higher than an OA import who’s max production would likely be 15 goals and 50 points…. Using an OA and import spot on him would be a huge mistake for OS, not the 2nd coming of Jesus like you make it seem like in this post

Why would Josh be an import? He is a Canadian citizen and last played in the OHL as a non import. Nothing has changed. We can debate if Josh would be a point a game guy or not, his performance in the WJC would suggest he would be better then that, but its just opininos and not facts.

Absolutely no one is reading anything into anything, we are just trying to have a fun conversation in August about what the roster may look like.

Well all know why Joshua came to OS, I don't think we need to go down that song and dance.

Good to see him make team Germany non the less. Although there's a long list of players who have fit in that "Hope's and Dreams" file in everyone's brains every season.

Wouldn't you agree?

I honestly don't get your insistance in constantly telling people not to think this or not to talk about that or that they shouldn't expact anything. WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING :). We are just trying to brainstorm and perhaps have a bit of fun in August. Its what fans do from the NHL, MLB, NFL, etc. You should just let people talk about what they want. And again, WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING, as a matter of fact, every post says 'this probably wont happen' or 'This is a pipe dream but....'

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Check that Josh is not an import he is a Canadian citizen who would not cost anything he was here pre Covid. We have at least 1 open OA spot. Never said 2nd coming of Jesus but would be a very solid addition a quality young man looked good in his rookie seaso here even though it was marred a bit with an ankle injury

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Why would Josh be an import? He is a Canadian citizen and last played in the OHL as a non import. Nothing has changed. We can debate if Josh would be a point a game guy or not, his performance in the WJC would suggest he would be better then that, but its just opininos and not facts.

Absolutely no one is reading anything into anything, we are just trying to have a fun conversation in August about what the roster may look like.

I honestly don't get your insistance in constantly telling people not to think this or not to talk about that or that they shouldn't expact anything. WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING :). We are just trying to brainstorm and perhaps have a bit of fun in August. Its what fans do from the NHL, MLB, NFL, etc. You should just let people talk about what they want. And again, WE ARE NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING, as a matter of fact, every post says 'this probably wont happen' or 'This is a pipe dream but....'
Attack Beacher thank you you get the picture. If nothing else I've sparked some interesting conversation in this time waiting for training camp to start. These dreams help me fall asleep at night.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Attack Beacher thank you you get the picture. If nothing else I've sparked some interesting conversation in this time waiting for training camp to start. These dreams help me fall asleep at night.
I think most of us get it, we’re just trying to have a bit of fun dialog. One person seems intent on telling us to stop and it’s a pipe dream, which is bizarre given that we all have already said it’s a pipe dream.

Just let us have a fun chat, what’s the harm?

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I think most of us get it, we’re just trying to have a bit of fun dialog. One person seems intent on telling us to stop and it’s a pipe dream, which is bizarre given that we all have already said it’s a pipe dream.

Just let us have a fun chat, what’s the harm?
I accomplished my goal of getting some conversation on what was becoming a quiet board lol. Now I'll let the Samanski watch rest and go on a different topic. A number of years ago Dale Degray told me that the better he does his job the harder his job becomes. I believe this year is going to exemplify what he meant. With the returning players we have and the reports I have read about a few players from the last few drafts and reports about kids we drafted this year there is going to be some very hard decisions for Dale and the management team. There are going to be someplayers that could or should be playing in this league that are going to be going home. I'm very anxious to see training camp start and get a look at some of these kids.

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I accomplished my goal of getting some conversation on what was becoming a quiet board lol. Now I'll let the Samanski watch rest and go on a different topic. A number of years ago Dale Degray told me that the better he does his job the harder his job becomes. I believe this year is going to exemplify what he meant. With the returning players we have and the reports I have read about a few players from the last few drafts and reports about kids we drafted this year there is going to be some very hard decisions for Dale and the management team. There are going to be someplayers that could or should be playing in this league that are going to be going home. I'm very anxious to see training camp start and get a look at some of these kids.
The more DD brings players who should be in the league into camps.

The more difficult his job gets and the better product on the ice becomes. If the competition gets more stiff at camp then DD has done his job.

Bradyen Hislop comes to mind a player that DD drafted liked and should've been playing in the league but there was no room in the depth chart in OS to keep him so he trades him to Saginaw for a draft selection.

Reactions: KFawcett

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
To your point Stevey...I count 5 players that we know of not returning from last year...the 3 OA'S, #21,#16....with 3 players signed from this year's draft that leaves 2 spots....add in our import selection and things are going to really be interesting in a couple of weeks

Reactions: KFawcett

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

And congrats to you.

Im retired so I have nothing else to do, I keep an eye (just with stats) on guys that the team drafted last year. I would guess that Kyle Morey and Mitch Young are the top guys heading in. Morey is a point a game centre and Young is almost a point a game defender at the GOJHL level. In other years they may already have played games for the team. Kyle Thacker will be interesting, he is massive and seems to move pretty well. Luke Bibby who is an 04 is probably up against it, but seemed to have a good year last year as well.

I would think there's 1 F and one D spot available.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
To your point Stevey...I count 5 players that we know of not returning from last year...the 3 OA'S, #21,#16....with 3 players signed from this year's draft that leaves 2 spots....add in our import selection and things are going to really be interesting in a couple of weeks
Just for fun

Petroovski - Guindon - Barlow
Burroughts - Goure - Lawrance
Boniuato - Bryant - Fantino
Terisigni - Cormier - Chafe

Schweingruber - Sedley
Seed - Steen
Okitundo - Uens
Jordan - Rogers

Chenard
Votary

If they really wanted to have some fun and spread it out, you can move Goure down a line and bump Fantino up and have 3 really quality lines. Need to upgrade the D at some point.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Plus a surprise or two that were last cut last season, that could make the team as 17yo.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Just for fun

Petroovski - Guindon - Barlow
Burroughts - Goure - Lawrance
Boniuato - Bryant - Fantino
Terisigni - Cormier - Chafe

Schweingruber - Sedley
Seed - Steen
Okitundo - Uens
Jordan - Rogers

Chenard
Votary

If they really wanted to have some fun and spread it out, you can move Goure down a line and bump Fantino up and have 3 really quality lines. Need to upgrade the D at some point.
That was my thouhts exactly but that doesn't leave much room for surprises or for my needed(wanted) addition of older veteran fwd and my big want that big tough physical guy on the back end.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
That was my thouhts exactly but that doesn't leave much room for surprises or for my needed(wanted) addition of older veteran fwd and my big want that big tough physical guy on the back end.
I think they will add/carry a couple extra forwards. I would think Morey and Bibby are the likely front runners.

Steen and Okitundu have the ability to play a big physical game on our back end. Jordan though undersized is very good at laying the body. I think the D is quite solid without any changes. The team certainly has the depth to potentially augment the roster if they see an upgrade out there. It's going to be an extremely competitive camp this year and may be some players that get squeezed out due to the depth the team has managed to build up. Could lead to some players asking to seek more of an opportunity outside of the organization. This could be your wanted deal for an upgrade on D as I would agree that(maybe nitpicking) is the only minor weakness on this year's team.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I think they will add/carry a couple extra forwards. I would think Morey and Bibby are the likely front runners.

Steen and Okitundu have the ability to play a big physical game on our back end. Jordan though undersized is very good at laying the body. I think the D is quite solid without any changes. The team certainly has the depth to potentially augment the roster if they see an upgrade out there. It's going to be an extremely competitive camp this year and may be some players that get squeezed out due to the depth the team has managed to build up. Could lead to some players asking to seek more of an opportunity outside of the organization. This could be your wanted deal for an upgrade on D as I would agree that(maybe nitpicking) is the only minor weakness on this year's team.

One thing I would say is that Id be surprised if Jordan would be happy to be a #7 if thats how it plays out.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
One thing I would say is that Id be surprised if Jordan would be happy to be a #7 if thats how it plays out.
I would agree. I thought he only got better as the season went on last year. I could easily see him claiming a top 4 D role this season and being a key part of the penalty kill. His foot speed was the key thing for him to work on in my opinion. I really like the player though.

OHL Prophet

Nov 17, 2021

I'm not a big fan of this "we need a big physical shut down D man" theory. People seem to think that is what Woolley and Chibrikov were last year. Really? Watch the Flint series again. How did that work out? They were both too slow vs the likes of Ohhtmann, Piercy, Lombardi etc. We need quick, puck moving D who can get to loose pucks and send the forwards north quickly. With this fwd group I think you will see some of the offensive D start to join the rush more and become part of the offense. This team is going to be playing in the other teams end a lot this year. So I see Sedley, Uens, Schweingruber, and maybe Rogers playing more impactful roles this year.

Steen will be a physical presence this year. Thacker has the size and ability for that role as well if he can earn a spot.

I honestly feel that Jordan or Okitundu are the odd men out if they keep Seed around. Also not a big fan of keeping an OA D man if he is not head and shoulders above the other D. OA D need to be contributors. One could argue we didn't have that last year either with the departure of Perrot. Wooley was a great leader and part of the community but was never the same after the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad