Owen Sound Attack 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I had heard near the end of last season he was going to school but wasn't sure as I never saw an official announcement. Opens up an O/A spot my guess now is they wait and see who gets sent back from pro camps and is a good fit.
12F and 8D listed on the pre-season roster. Would have to think they add 1-2 forwards. Can't see them taking 9D so if somebody who's not on the roster makes the team then would have to think somebody is getting traded out.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
12F and 8D listed on the pre-season roster. Would have to think they add 1-2 forwards. Can't see them taking 9D so if somebody who's not on the roster makes the team then would have to think somebody is getting traded out.
Take those pre-season rosters with a grain of salt. They really just are who are signed and eligible to return that doesn’t necessarily mean that we will see everyone on that roster come back.

Like a lot of training camps that teams have there will always be a lot of question marks on who makes the team. Some guys move on some get traded, sometimes it comes down to little things like right or left handed shots. There is definitely a lot of talent coming in and back.

The second day of rookie camp is where we're going to see what this team really has when they have to make cuts before main camp.

No one's spot past the top round signed guys are truly secured and will make the team. This will leave a lot of questions on those marginal players and where they fit into the system.

If the team thinks there's a player at 17yo who has more upside then an older 18-19yo then the team is likely going to keep the younger guy. But that's is really up to the player and what the team thinks is a better fit.

There are always surprises in camp this year will be no different.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Take those pre-season rosters with a grain of salt. They really just are who are signed and eligible to return that doesn’t necessarily mean that we will see everyone on that roster come back.

Like a lot of training camps that teams have there will always be a lot of question marks on who makes the team. Some guys move on some get traded, sometimes it comes down to little things like right or left handed shots. There is definitely a lot of talent coming in and back.

The second day of rookie camp is where we're going to see what this team really has when they have to make cuts before main camp.

No one's spot past the top round signed guys are truly secured and will make the team. This will leave a lot of questions on those marginal players and where they fit into the system.

If the team thinks there's a player at 17yo who has more upside then an older 18-19yo then the team is likely going to keep the younger guy. But that's is really up to the player and what the team thinks is a better fit.

There are always surprises in camp this year will be no different.

Nothing you said is different then what he said. He believes that if we sign another player, that probably means one of the defenceman on that roster is gone, which makes sense. You don't need to tell him that pre-season rosters are taken with a grain of salt, he said that himself the post before.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Wonder if the PP looks different this year ?
Joey Hishon ran the PP last year I believe so I would think it's fairly safe to say there will be some changes. Would be awesome to not lead the league in short handed goals allowed this year. As bad as the PP was at times last season the shorties allowed were so much worse in my opinion.

What would you like to see the first PP unit look like?

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Joey Hishon ran the PP last year I believe so I would think it's fairly safe to say there will be some changes. Would be awesome to not lead the league in short handed goals allowed this year. As bad as the PP was at times last season the shorties allowed were so much worse in my opinion.

Thinking the best change will be experience

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Maybe they will change the way teams look at PPs.

As a fan who follows the special teams from season to season and lineups every season. I can honestly say that I have a dislike for the new style 4 forward PP.

Not because I haven't seen a 4 forward PP work but the inconsistencies with playing chicken on the defensive side of the puck. If you have a forward who can shoot a cannon from the point and hit the net is one thing but consistencies that shows or lack of last saw the same option time and again and yielded limited success.

Agreed even though JH has moved on I would expect to see some alterations for the special teams alignments. JH is a good guy there's no dispute on that but at times even he stated his frustration last season.

Maybe the simplest way to look at things is this, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it is broke maybe looking at old style teachings is the way to go for 2022-23.

I remarked at a game last season "Why is the team using the 4-forward PP when it clearly doesn't work, wouldn'tit make sense to put a traditional PP unit out at the very least they wouldnt be a defensiveliabilityout there for 2 minutes." And the following week the team had changed the powerplay units and the puck hits the back of the twine.

I understand that this is a development league and these are kids but sometimes the only way to fix a problem is stop following everyone else and what your opponent is doing and going go back to basics.

3-forwards 2-Dmen.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
A large % of skilled teams use the 4-1 powerplay and Owen Sound has had great success with it over the years when they have the right players.. I would be willing to bet it is the 4-1 alignment this year with the talent this team will possess....all about experience for this group

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
We played short staffed in exhibition last season with guys at camps that may happen again if Dale is thinking he may have a chance of adding a quality fwd that is at a pro camp. I think 8 d is the maximum I agree if anyone not on the list makes it someone on the list is out. This next couple weeks is going to be very interesting.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
On the roster today, there's 9 F and 4 D I'd use on the PP.
Certainly have a lot of flexibility this year. Could easily see Barlow, Guindon and Petrovsky being the staples on the top PP with a player like Lawrence potentially being the 4th forward as the net front presence. Schweingruber will be interesting to get a look at. Uens and Seed spent time last year on the second PP. Anyone of those three could potentially join Sedley as a traditional 2D pair on the PP if they want to play 3F with 2D. Goure, Burroughs and Fantino would be very strong options for the second PP group. The PP won't suffer due to a lack of talent that's for sure.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Certainly have a lot of flexibility this year. Could easily see Barlow, Guindon and Petrovsky being the staples on the top PP with a player like Lawrence potentially being the 4th forward as the net front presence. Schweingruber will be interesting to get a look at. Uens and Seed spent time last year on the second PP. Anyone of those three could potentially join Sedley as a traditional 2D pair on the PP if they want to play 3F with 2D. Goure, Burroughs and Fantino would be very strong options for the second PP group. The PP won't suffer due to a lack of talent that's for sure.
Gavin Bryant as well

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Lots of flexibility for sure. I personally would love to see Lawrence or Bryant parked in front of the net doing there best Gadjovich impersonation. Jonah created a lot of havoc from his office on the edge of the blue paint. SomethingI'm curious to keep an eye on is how to use Colby. Gotta be on #1 PP with his U18 performance I would be tempted to have him on every PK. The trick will be to not overuse him. NHL scouts will for sure get lots of looks at him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad