Owen Sound Attack 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Tough way to end the season, dreaded short handed goals against and a nice juicy rebound on goal 2. Heck of a series though. Can’t wait for September.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Great season by the Attack. First I have to reply to Agent 53 on the season thread. He says Othmann was hurt by Lesage's cheap shot(his words not mine). Sorry pal but if Brennan thinks that was a cheap shot he better retire ASAP as being a NY Ranger Tommy Wilson will have a few thing to show him. I believe it was Bear Strike that said the difference was Flints older experienced players BINGO!!!! That is exactly right this Attack team had an amazing season all while relying on a bunch of 16-17 yr old players as there go to guys.

Reactions: DCruickshank

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Now that the emotions are over from being put out in game 7 last night, it's time to turn our attention to 2022/23.

Here's a really rough look at what the roster could look like next season +/- a player or two depending on what realistically comes in or back. As we can see this teams core is going to be really good. Of course lines will definitely change and there's always a surprise or two that comes out of nowhere.

But here's a rough look into 2022/23.

Chenard (20)
Votary (18)

Seed (20) - Sedley (19)
Steen (18) - Okitundu (18)
Jordan (18) - Uens (17)
Rogers (16)

Burroughs (19) - Petrovsky (18) - Guindon (18)
Bryant (18) - Barlow (17) - Goure (19)
Lawrence (19)/(If Healthy) - LeSage (19) - Fantino (18)
Bonaiuto (18) - Chafe (17) - Cormier (16) - Tersigni (16)
Import (17/18) - 17yo (17) (or) Trade - 20yo (20) -Trade

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Certainly some brighter days ahead. A quick glance at the projected roster in 2022/23:

Petrovsky(18 import) - Guindon(18) - Barlow(17)
Burroughs(19) - Goure(19) - Portokalis(OA)
Bonaiuto(18) - Bryant(18) - Lawrence(19)
Fantino(18) - Chafe(17)

Jordan(18) - Sedley(19)
Steen(18) - Okitundu(18)
Uens(17)

Chenard(OA) - Votary(18)

Possible OA candidates:
LeSage - Seed - Machacek(import)

2020 draft
F Isaac Howard(18 with NCAA commitment)

2021 draft
D Conor Thacker(17) - D Mitchell Young(17)

2022 draft
F Ben Cormier(16) - D Braedyn Rogers(16) - F Antonio Tersigni(16)

Now that the emotions are over from being put out in game 7 last night, it's time to turn our attention to 2022/23.

Here's a really rough look at what the roster could look like next season +/- a player or two depending on what realistically comes in or back. As we can see this teams core is going to be really good. Of course lines will definitely change and there's always a surprise or two that comes out of nowhere.

But here's a rough look into 2022/23.

Chenard (20)
Votary (18)

Seed (20) - Sedley (19)
Steen (18) - Okitundu (18)
Jordan (18) - Uens (17)
Rogers (16)

Burroughs (19) - Petrovsky (18) - Guindon (18)
Bryant (18) - Barlow (17) - Goure (19)
Lawrence (19)/(If Healthy) - LeSage (19) - Fantino (18)
Bonaiuto (18) - Chafe (17) - Cormier (16) - Tersigni (16)
Import (17/18) - 17yo (17) (or) Trade - 20yo (20) -Trade
Haha I guess we had the same idea.

Last edited:

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
To me, of the OA candidates, Chenard is an obvious lock with Portokalis being a near lock as well. The depth of the team with the young talent could potentially see LeSage and Seed squeezed out. Hard to see LeSage coming back as an OA in a fourth line role with talented young players sitting in the stands. Seed spent the majority of the season on the bottom D pair on a very young defense group outside of Woolley and Chibrikov. He likely has a better chance to stick around as the third OA but hard to see him squeeze out a younger player unless he earns a more significant role than being on the bottom pair.

I think with the state of the roster it makes way too much sense to go out and add another 17-18 year old import in the draft that meshes with the current age group which all but rules out Machacek returning. It's difficult to burn both an OA and import selection on the same player. Biggest question is do you shoot for a forward or a defenseman with the import selection?

Biggest wild card of the offseason will be the decision of Isaac Howard and whether he honors the NCAA commitment or opts for the OHL. Would be a massive addition and fit with the current construction of the team but it's pretty tough to lure players away from the NCAA. Likely won't see him in an Attack jersey next season but can certainly dream.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
To me, of the OA candidates, Chenard is an obvious lock with Portokalis being a near lock as well. The depth of the team with the young talent could potentially see LeSage and Seed squeezed out. Hard to see LeSage coming back as an OA in a fourth line role with talented young players sitting in the stands. Seed spent the majority of the season on the bottom D pair on a very young defense group outside of Woolley and Chibrikov. He likely has a better chance to stick around as the third OA but hard to see him squeeze out a younger player unless he earns a more significant role than being on the bottom pair.

I think with the state of the roster it makes way too much sense to go out and add another 17-18 year old import in the draft that meshes with the current age group which all but rules out Machacek returning. It's difficult to burn both an OA and import selection on the same player. Biggest question is do you shoot for a forward or a defenseman with the import selection?

Biggest wild card of the offseason will be the decision of Isaac Howard and whether he honors the NCAA commitment or opts for the OHL. Would be a massive addition and fit with the current construction of the team but it's pretty tough to lure players away from the NCAA. Likely won't see him in an Attack jersey next season but can certainly dream.
I have a feeling we see an import D.
Depends who drafts Howard in NHL.
They may prefer he plays a year in major Jr.
He likely won't finish college if drafted .

Reactions: Stellar29

Greys

Dec 18, 2021
We are in for a great year or two of hockey. The west should be really competitive next year. A few teams reacted to COVID this year with more rookies than other years. Expectations are high for the Attack, but Guelph should be good, Kitchener should be good, Flint could still be strong. Saginaw with Masa? The Soo? And is London ever far from the top? And won’t it nice to be able to get to the rink for all of the games!

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I have a feeling we see an import D.
Depends who drafts Howard in NHL.
They may prefer he plays a year in major Jr.
He likely won't finish college if drafted .
I tend to agree on drafting an import D, especially if a more offensively minded D is available. I think that would add a nice balance to the D core as Jordan, Steen and Okitundu are more stay at home types. Would expect Uens to challenge for more ice time and he certainly has offensive potential. Would be nice to have some options to compete for PP1 quarterback on the back end next year.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Certainly some brighter days ahead. A quick glance at the projected roster in 2022/23:

Petrovsky(18 import) - Guindon(18) - Barlow(17)
Burroughs(19) - Goure(19) - Portokalis(OA)
Bonaiuto(18) - Bryant(18) - Lawrence(19)
Fantino(18) - Chafe(17)

Jordan(18) - Sedley(19)
Steen(18) - Okitundu(18)
Uens(17)

Chenard(OA) - Votary(18)

Possible OA candidates:
LeSage - Seed - Machacek(import)

2020 draft
F Isaac Howard(18 with NCAA commitment)

2021 draft
D Conor Thacker(17) - D Mitchell Young(17)

2022 draft
F Ben Cormier(16) - D Braedyn Rogers(16) - F Antonio Tersigni(16)

Haha I guess we had the same idea.
I have heard 3rd hand apparently from his parents that Portokalis is going to school next year. I think Chenard is the only sure O/A. I expect a few moves of some players from this years roster IMHO we are a little heavy on players that will be 18 next season. I look for D.D to move some guys out and I look for an O/A physical stay at home dman to be brought in. I think it might be asking alot for Steen and Oki to step right into what we lose with Wooley and Chibber

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I have heard 3rd hand apparently from his parents that Portokalis is going to school next year. I think Chenard is the only sure O/A. I expect a few moves of some players from this years roster IMHO we are a little heavy on players that will be 18 next season. I look for D.D to move some guys out and I look for an O/A physical stay at home dman to be brought in. I think it might be asking alot for Steen and Oki to step right into what we lose with Wooley and Chibber

I think Jordan is quite good at that as well

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Interesting news on Portokalis. I thought he had a very underrated playoffs. He played an intelligent series, reading break outs and picking off passes, generating turnovers on the forecheck, pretty solid shot. I thought he would be a ~20 ish goal scorer on next year's team.

Certainly have a lot of 18 year olds projected for next year's team and it could be a challenge to make the roster come training camp next year, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Could be some roster shuffling to make room for some of the new players if they come in and perform.

I think the D is in fairly decent shape for next season. Jordan plays a little bit of a Mark Woolley lite type of game. Plays bigger than his slight frame throwing around his body and blocking shots. I think he was the most improved defenseman over the course of the season. Steen had a bit of a reputation as a player with a bit of a mean streak when he was drafted but haven't really seen that from him yet. I think there's more growth coming from his game as he continues to grow his confidence. I think it's hard to properly asses Okitundu as he started off strong and then missed time with a groin injury that required surgery. He didn't quite seem to get his game back on track when he returned to the line up but I thought he looked pretty good when he was inserted into the line up during the playoffs. He's certainly not shy with the physical game and I think there's a little bit of offense in his game.

I'd personally be ok with starting the season with the projected roster and tinkering with potential OA moves if needed. Maybe a more realistic move would be a swap of an 18 year old for a 19 year old with Sedley currently the leader on the back end going into the season. The competitive window is open next year and should be a very good 2 years to chase a championship.

I think Jordan is quite good at that as well
Jordan was easily the most improved defenseman over the course of the season for me. Plays fearless. Needs to work on his foot speed but certainly a very solid stay at home defender.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
For anyone who is interested in an end of season wrap with the GM, a pretty good interview on Attack Rap this week. Some interesting nuggets.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
So what is everyone's thoughts on the roster for next year?

I assume the following guys are locks.

Forwards
Barlow - Guindon - Petrovsky
Lawrence - Goure - Burroughs
Fantino - Bryant - Chafe
Boniuto - Cormier -

02s - Lesage and Portakalis for me are on the bubble and could be upgraded.

Defenceman
Okitundo - Steen
Jordan - Sedley
Seed - Uens

Chenard
Votary

I could see a better 02 D brought in? Also an open import spot.

Prospects worth considering?

Luke Bibby (F) - Cambridge Jr B - 48 - 31 - 26 - 57- 26

Conor Thacker (D) - Caledon Admirals - OJHL - 36 - 1 - 5 - 6 - 40
Kyle Morey (F) - St. Marys Lincolns - GOJHL - 48 - 18 - 26 - 44 - 48
Mitch Young (D) - Kitchener-Waterloo Siskins - GOJHL - 35 - 8 - 23 - 31 - 68
Tomislav Brennan (F) - Ottawa Jr. Senators - CCHL - 45 - 4 - 14 - 18 - 10
Jonas Schmidt (F) - Stratford Warriors - GOJHL - 45 - 7 - 16 - 23 - 18

Braedyn Rogers (D) - Quinte Red Devils U16 AAA - ETAHL U16 - 26- 14 - 19 - 33 - 8
Antonio Tersigni (F) - Toronto Jr. Canadiens U16 AAA - GTHL U16 - 56 - 32 - 54 - 86
Carter George (G) - Thunder Bay Kings U16 AAA - U16 AAA - 24 -3.42 -.920 -7-14-3

Lots of young depth it seems, lots of 16 years doing well at lower levels.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
He'd probably be on the top pair to start but that is not who he his, I would think that's an area to upgrade.
For me, it's a weak group of OA candidates outside of Chenard. I think the door is wide open for younger players to take Seed, LeSage and Portokalis roster spots. I personally like Portokalis but the high end skill of the younger players/prospects is going to make the roster tough to crack. The import situation is going to be interesting to watch. I would like to see them take a D with the import slot, preferably more of an offensive D as that seems to be the biggest need on the back end. It will be interesting to see some of the 05 draft class in camp as there is certainly potential to grab a roster spot and some very intriguing players.

Will need to pay attention to the NHL draft to see where Howard goes and blow up the projections if he somehow finds his way to Owen Sound.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
For me, it's a weak group of OA candidates outside of Chenard. I think the door is wide open for younger players to take Seed, LeSage and Portokalis roster spots. I personally like Portokalis but the high end skill of the younger players/prospects is going to make the roster tough to crack. The import situation is going to be interesting to watch. I would like to see them take a D with the import slot, preferably more of an offensive D as that seems to be the biggest need on the back end. It will be interesting to see some of the 05 draft class in camp as there is certainly potential to grab a roster spot and some very intriguing players.

Will need to pay attention to the NHL draft to see where Howard goes and blow up the projections if he somehow finds his way to Owen Sound.
We may be a little heavy on 04 births for my liking. I would like to see us get an 02 or 03 solid physical stay at home Dman could we pkg a couple 04s to get a good one?We are going to miss Wooley and Chibber on that end and it may be a lot to ask an 04 to step into that roll this year. I see Chenard as the only lock for O/A. It will be a very interesting camp this year there should be some very intense competition for a spot on this roster.

Reactions: DCruickshank

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
We may be a little heavy on 04 births for my liking. I would like to see us get an 02 or 03 solid physical stay at home Dman could we pkg a couple 04s to get a good one?We are going to miss Wooley and Chibber on that end and it may be a lot to ask an 04 to step into that roll this year. I see Chenard as the only lock for O/A. It will be a very interesting camp this year there should be some very intense competition for a spot on this roster.
I would tend to agree the team is a little thick on the 04 group. Wouldn't be shocking to see a move but I think you have to wait and see what they do with the import draft. I think the window to take a run at a championship is the next 2-3 years providing Barlow plays out his full OHL eligibility. He's a player that could go high in the first round of the NHL draft and play some NHL games at 18/19. I think carrying the 04s, especially on D, plays into the type of depth championship teams need. Steen, Okitundu and Jordan all play a physical style and they drafted Caldwell in the U18 draft that is also capable of filling that role provided he cracks the lineup. If they draft an import D then I would suspect there would be some movement as they would appear to be pretty deep on the backend.

I have been in Owen Sound since the summer of 2013 and this roster going into next season is the most exciting I've seen. The organization has done an incredible job in recent years with the draft and I think Greg Walters has been the best fit as head coach since Ryan McGill left. If the the special teams can improve next season with the collection of talent the organization has brought in, this team looks like an absolute wagon.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I would tend to agree the team is a little thick on the 04 group. Wouldn't be shocking to see a move but I think you have to wait and see what they do with the import draft. I think the window to take a run at a championship is the next 2-3 years providing Barlow plays out his full OHL eligibility. He's a player that could go high in the first round of the NHL draft and play some NHL games at 18/19. I think carrying the 04s, especially on D, plays into the type of depth championship teams need. Steen, Okitundu and Jordan all play a physical style and they drafted Caldwell in the U18 draft that is also capable of filling that role provided he cracks the lineup. If they draft an import D then I would suspect there would be some movement as they would appear to be pretty deep on the backend.

I have been in Owen Sound since the summer of 2013 and this roster going into next season is the most exciting I've seen. The organization has done an incredible job in recent years with the draft and I think Greg Walters has been the best fit as head coach since Ryan McGill left. If the the special teams can improve next season with the collection of talent the organization has brought in, this team looks like an absolute wagon.
This team certainly has the the makings of a team that isn't too far off of taking a swing at banners. Where the real question mark will be will be in net.

I think if this team is going to swing for the fences it will have to be next season or the year after especially with the tender situation. 3 years down the line this team will have turned over half the team and we could be right where we are now.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Agree with this, I think it is the best team as well.

Nick Suzuki was special, but Colby Barlow could be better. Very different players, but Barlow had a higher impact then Suzuki on a similar team. The surrounding pieces are better then that group as well. Goalie is the only question, but McNiven wasn't McNiven until his last year anyways.

Two Ifs with the current group are Lawrence and Fantino. If Lawrence is what we saw in limited action last year, and if Fantino is what we saw in pre-season and post-season, Id be surprised if there is a deeper forward group in the OHL.

Need an older D, perhaps that will be in the import draft?

At first glance this team is set in net for the next 3 years...

Perhaps even longer if George is what they think he is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad