Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
From a straight up hockey look I would agree with your assesment. IMHO though there is a big reason they call Ethan ,Daddy Burr. I won't be surprised if what be brings to the room might win out of course I am a pro at being wrong so it will be interesting to see. I also think they will wait until all 4 return from camps to make the final decision.
"I'm a pro at being wrong", isn't that all of us Arm Chair GMs? lol. I think the leadership qualities and the fact that Burroughs is just a great human being makes him attractive to any OHL team, especially the younger teams, that have an OA opening. Those same qualities is why Owen Sound would want to keep him. Whoever ends up odd man out amongst our OAs will be a loss, they are all quality players in this league. That's why Dale gets paid the big bucks and we just spit ball our opinions on the internet lol.

Reactions: KFawcett

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
"I'm a pro at being wrong", isn't that all of us Arm Chair GMs? lol. I think the leadership qualities and the fact that Burroughs is just a great human being makes him attractive to any OHL team, especially the younger teams, that have an OA opening. Those same qualities is why Owen Sound would want to keep him. Whoever ends up odd man out amongst our OAs will be a loss, they are all quality players in this league. That's why Dale gets paid the big bucks and we just spit ball our opinions on the internet lol.
Your right that is all of us.Some just won't admit it LOL! I've said to a few people there really isn't a wrong choice all 4 of our O/A's bring something a little different but all 4 are quality individuals that will help any team.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Personally I would trade Lawrence as I think Burroughs is far more of a sure thing to produce and Lawrence is the guy we've been waiting for years to break out, but given the team's emphasis on size and being tougher I can see why it would be someone else.

Goure is far too established as a legit scorer to trade, or at least the value as an overage at this point wouldn't be worth the downgrade to the others. It would be a disaster to trade him for maybe a pick or two and then have him score 80+ points this year.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Personally I would trade Lawrence as I think Burroughs is far more of a sure thing to produce and Lawrence is the guy we've been waiting for years to break out, but given the team's emphasis on size and being tougher I can see why it would be someone else.

Goure is far too established as a legit scorer to trade, or at least the value as an overage at this point wouldn't be worth the downgrade to the others. It would be a disaster to trade him for maybe a pick or two and then have him score 80+ points this year.
You could make an argument to trade or keep any one of them really. Goure has the highest end skill set and should be a top 20 producer in the league this year but hard to discount two back to back disappointing playoff showings for him. Burroughs is a pretty dependable two way high compete player who should be around 30 goals and flirt with a point per game. Lawrence is the biggest question mark but after a fully healthy offseason what can he do? Lawrence should be expected to take a step forward this season but to what extent is a complete unknown.

I think a lot will come down to how they want the team to play and who best fits or compliments that style. There are more moves to come besides just clearing the OA situation it would seem so it's hard to really judge anything until the whole picture is pieced together.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Re our 4 OA's, skill set aside, think you have to look at who has heart and willing to go that extra mile when needed.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
We've got four still at camp in Goure, Burroughs, Lawrence, and Sedley.

Not a unanimous opinion on this board but I think Burroughs will be the odd man out, and Kingston would probably be a great home for him.

Goure pre eye injury was playing his way into a pro deal last year, Lawrence has size and untapped upside, and Sedley is really our only offensive D option.
Wow that’s 4 really good OA’s. They would absolutely take Burroughs from you guys I’m sure.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
The one thing that I've been thinking about lately is do we have enough offensive contributions on the blue line this year? Of the players returning from last year:

Sedley 7 goals 56 points in 66 games
Petrovski 4 goals 23 points in 65 games
Jordan 2 goals 15 points in 67 games
Steen 3 goals 13 points in 51 games
Rogers 1 points in 43 games

Outside of Sedley, that's not really a whole lot of reliable contributions from the back end. Petrovski and Rogers both have potential to chip in but how much more can they produce this year? I think it will be something to watch in the early goings of the season and hopefully they get enough internal growth from the guys they have that it's a non issue.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
We've got four still at camp in Goure, Burroughs, Lawrence, and Sedley.

Not a unanimous opinion on this board but I think Burroughs will be the odd man out, and Kingston would probably be a great home for him.

Goure pre eye injury was playing his way into a pro deal last year, Lawrence has size and untapped upside, and Sedley is really our only offensive D option.
29 will definitely remain.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Heading up to Owen Sound in October for the first time. We’ve never been so I am looking for places to stay, things to do, and where to eat. Any help is appreciated as we are excited to make the trip (hopefully without snow).

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Heading up to Owen Sound in October for the first time. We’ve never been so I am looking for places to stay, things to do, and where to eat. Any help is appreciated as we are excited to make the trip (hopefully without snow).
best place and closest to stay is Best Western Hotel, you just have to walk across the parking lot to get to the arena. Harrison Park is really nice for hiking, has a restaurant. Inglis Falls is also a great place to take in. Unfortunately, our mall isn't like Millcreek Mall, but our downtown river district is starting to pick up.

Reactions: OttersFan

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Bears at NHL Camps:
Colby Barlow – Winnipeg Jets
Cedrick Guindon – Montreal Canadiens
Kaleb Lawrence – Los Angeles Kings
James Petrovski – New York Rangers
Servac Petrovsky – Minnesota Wild
Sam Sedley – Philadelphia Flyers
Jackson Stewart – Ottawa Senators

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
best place and closest to stay is Best Western Hotel, you just have to walk across the parking lot to get to the arena. Harrison Park is really nice for hiking, has a restaurant. Inglis Falls is also a great place to take in. Unfortunately, our mall isn't like Millcreek Mall, but our downtown river district is starting to pick up.
Thanks for this!

I haven’t been to the Millcreek Mall in years so I couldn’t tell you what’s there anymore. Come on down to visit!

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Bears at NHL Camps:
Colby Barlow – Winnipeg Jets
Cedrick Guindon – Montreal Canadiens
Kaleb Lawrence – Los Angeles Kings
James Petrovski – New York Rangers
Servac Petrovsky – Minnesota Wild
Sam Sedley – Philadelphia Flyers
Jackson Stewart – Ottawa Senators
Well isn't that awesome, good for everyone of them, can't believe I missed this

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
It’s early, but is this year or next year the Attacks go for it year?

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Suppose to be this year.. But you never know in this league.
Has to be this year. Too many significant graduations after this year and no guarantee Barlow comes back as a 19 year old. The next window would appear to be two seasons from now when the 06 group is 19 and the 07 group 18 with a lot of that depending on George being the goalie we think he will be. We will need to see more out of the 06 group this year compared to last and it's far too early to judge the 07 draft class but looks solid so far.

Reactions: Gondrex and LDN

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Thanks for this!

I haven’t been to the Millcreek Mall in years so I couldn’t tell you what’s there anymore. Come on down to visit!

I'll 2nd Inglis falls for a walk! ( as an outsider who used to go often years ago )

Reactions: Millpond

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Has to be this year. Too many significant graduations after this year and no guarantee Barlow comes back as a 19 year old. The next window would appear to be two seasons from now when the 06 group is 19 and the 07 group 18 with a lot of that depending on George being the goalie we think he will be. We will need to see more out of the 06 group this year compared to last and it's far too early to judge the 07 draft class but looks solid so far.
Your roster spells contender. I wish your draft pick cupboard wasn’t so thin.

Any trades you make will have to be of the thrifty sort.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Forward group is pretty good, with a nice bit of size, skill and depth. Goaltending should be a strength I think. Biggest question mark is on D where I think they likely have better depth than last season but still likely the area that needs work. They still have to move out an OA, they currently have three 03 forwards that will be cut down to two, and likely one other forward as they have 16 rostered currently. Depending on who they move that may add some value to the pick cupboard to address needs later. Dale typically likes to move early so I don't expect the OA situation to carry on into the regular season. I'm thinking they will likely start the year with the D they have and address at the deadline if needed.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Its thinner then most due to alot of draft day trades. They pick up guys like Burroughs, George, etc by moving a few future picks to make sure they get him. I like that strategy vs moving 15 and 3 players for 5 roster players.

The Attack dont really need that many roster players this year in theory, they probably need a secondary forward and a top 4 D. I don't think they will need to do what Sarnia, Kitchener, etc have done in the past.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Its thinner then most due to alot of draft day trades. They pick up guys like Burroughs, George, etc by moving a few future picks to make sure they get him. I like that strategy vs moving 15 and 3 players for 5 roster players.

The Attack dont really need that many roster players this year in theory, they probably need a secondary forward and a top 4 D. I don't think they will need to do what Sarnia, Kitchener, etc have done in the past.
That's a fair assessment. I 100% agree on the top 4D but I think they can afford to be patient and evaluate what they have internally amongst the forward group before looking outside the organization. I think you give it until Christmas to assess Waddick, Hookey, Brennan, Cormier and Tersigni to see if you have it in house. Someone like Addy has the potential to surprise as well. If nobody steps up and solidifies the top 9 then you could explore a third line player add, saving or having already spent assets for the D upgrade. That would be my strategy anyways but you never know what's out there. Attack Rap kicks off tonight for the first episode of the season with Dale DeGray, might get some insights on what his initial thoughts or impressions of the roster are to offer some clues.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think Soo and Owen Sound could be good trade partners. Soo needs an OA forward, and has too many '04 defensemen. Maybe OS can find an '04 D amongst ours that they think can play in their top 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad