Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
The Attack found a replacement for there retired powerskating coach late last season a very accomplished skater herself. The players she was working with all loved her but apparently Jackson bought into her lessons 110% and I noticed an improvement by the end of the season.
Jackson has come into this season well motivated and ready to go.

I liked what I saw in his first exxy game in Barrie.

He is one of the type of players we love in OS.

I have a feeling we are going to have an exciting lineup this season .

Reactions: Noofgoof

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Oh I agree, I just get a bit overwhelmed by the constant blind promotion is all. It reads like a parent who sees no issues with a son, I don't pretend to know if that's the case and kind of tease a bit in good fun, but it can be a bit much from time to time.

Personally I prefer to see a more well rounded look at a player and a team, but perhaps Im on an island from that perspec
I hear what your saying. I sometimes wonder why the obvious guys don't get talked about more just the way it is I guess.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
I hear what your saying. I sometimes wonder why the obvious guys don't get talked about more just the way it is I guess.
I think it comes down to different expectations. The top end guys are expected to be good so when they are good it's not really noteworthy. I think the top end guys are better judged over the course of a season rather than game to game. Their special moments aren't as rare but I don't think they are all that surprising when they happen either. It's still worth celebrating or talking about but at the same time they're supposed to do that. When the other guys down the lineup have a big game or a big moment it's more noteworthy because the expectations aren't as high and they don't typically happen as frequently. Just my two cents.

Personally for me, I enjoy the growth in player's games as they figure it out and make strides. That likely tends to be the guys further down the line up as the top end guys are already good/elite with less room for growth or improvements at the OHL level. Somebody like Guindon, who I would consider one of the top end guys, could generate a lot of conversation this year if he blows up into a 100 point player which I don't think is all that far fetched if he plays with Barlow all year. I would love to talk about Petrovsky this year as that would mean he's breaking out as he should be motivated to do this season with an ELC contract on the line. Hookey is another guy that could generate buzz if he capitalizes on his strong camp with a spot on the top line.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Its just very similar to the minor hockey scene to me. The dad who constantly promotes his kid and puts down everyone else. In this instance it may or may not be a dad, but its the same principle. Im fine with the guy promoting a player, but trashing other players abilities when the player he's promoting is much less effective and has more warts, come on.

I think it comes down to different expectations. The top end guys are expected to be good so when they are good it's not really noteworthy. I think the top end guys are better judged over the course of a season rather than game to game. Their special moments aren't as rare but I don't think they are all that surprising when they happen either. It's still worth celebrating or talking about but at the same time they're supposed to do that. When the other guys down the lineup have a big game or a big moment it's more noteworthy because the expectations aren't as high and they don't typically happen as frequently. Just my two cents.

Personally for me, I enjoy the growth in player's games as they figure it out and make strides. That likely tends to be the guys further down the line up as the top end guys are already good/elite with less room for growth or improvements at the OHL level. Somebody like Guindon, who I would consider one of the top end guys, could generate a lot of conversation this year if he blows up into a 100 point player which I don't think is all that far fetched if he plays with Barlow all year. I would love to talk about Petrovsky this year as that would mean he's breaking out as he should be motivated to do this season with an ELC contract on the line. Hookey is another guy that could generate buzz if he capitalizes on his strong camp with a spot on the top line.
Hookey is a prime example, he is the one we should be looking at, he looks like a different player, he looks like he can add depth to the top 6 and perhaps have a breakout 25 goal season. I was thinking Waddick would be the wild card this year, and he may still be, but Hookey is much more interesting and should be higher in the lineup to start. He looks way different and much quicker then he ended last year.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Its just very similar to the minor hockey scene to me. The dad who constantly promotes his kid and puts down everyone else. In this instance it may or may not be a dad, but its the same principle. Im fine with the guy promoting a player, but trashing other players abilities when the player he's promoting is much less effective and has more warts, come on.

Hookey is a prime example, he is the one we should be looking at, he looks like a different player, he looks like he can add depth to the top 6 and perhaps have a breakout 25 goal season. I was thinking Waddick would be the wild card this year, and he may still be, but Hookey is much more interesting and should be higher in the lineup to start. He looks way different and much quicker then he ended last year.
Now you are backing off the "Dad theory", and just an overzealous fan. I agree your top players are good, I also agree with the earlier post that the dad isn't gpoing to be wasting his time on here with guys like me.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Now you are backing off the "Dad theory", and just an overzealous fan. I agree your top players are good, I also agree with the earlier post that the dad isn't gpoing to be wasting his time on here with guys like me.
I was the maybe 3 or 4th person? There were others, one who followed you over from the Kingston thread to say it. The fact that we all think you may be the dad given how you post suggests perhaps your a bit over the top with everything?

Regardless, we understand you like the player, he is good at what he is, but also has faults, and to constantly talk him up and put down others gets old quick, and to be honest, puts a bit of an unfair spotlight on the kid.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I was the maybe 3 or 4th person? There were others, one who followed you over from the Kingston thread to say it. The fact that we all think you may be the dad given how you post suggests perhaps your a bit over the top with everything?

Regardless, we understand you like the player, he is good at what he is, but also has faults, and to constantly talk him up and put down others gets old quick, and to be honest, puts a bit of an unfair spotlight on the kid.
I talked to Jacksons dad this week - if ktwonfan is his dad then he'll know when and where (I don't think it's his dad, and quite honestly who cares)

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I talked to Jacksons dad this week - if ktwonfan is his dad then he'll know when and where (I don't think it's his dad, and quite honestly who cares)
I don't care, Its just the constant promotion that gets exhausting. We have World Junior caliber players on this team (Barlow, Guindon and Petrovsky) and he keeps directing the convo to one kid. We have way too good of a team to only focus on one player's ice time.

Ktown posted that 'over promotion hurts a player more than helps' or something along those lines at someone he accused of being a kid's parent. No idea if that guy is/was but he was right, over promotion does hurt a kid more than helps.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I don't care, Its just the constant promotion that gets exhausting. We have World Junior caliber players on this team (Barlow, Guindon and Petrovsky) and he keeps directing the convo to one kid. We have way too good of a team to only focus on one player's ice time.

Ktown posted that 'over promotion hurts a player more than helps' or something along those lines at someone he accused of being a kid's parent. No idea if that guy is/was but he was right, over promotion does hurt a kid more than helps.
Don't have a dog in the fight - but how does "over-promotion" on a fan board hurt a player? Either we put too much stock into what it is that we say on here or the people that make decisions in hockey are really scraping the gutter by looking for info on players on here.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Don't have a dog in the fight - but how does "over-promotion" on a fan board hurt a player? Either we put too much stock into what it is that we say on here or the people that make decisions in hockey are really scraping the gutter by looking for info on players on here.
Ktown was the one that posted it, ill find it.

Basically, putting too much of a spotlight on player will cause backlash, I don't think he's wrong.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Ktown was the one that posted it, ill find it.

Basically, putting too much of a spotlight on player will cause backlash, I don't think he's wrong.
It was regarding Luddington putting out self promotiion videos, i'm not sure that worked out for him. I don't think Degray thought about his videos in his decision to cut him at camp.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
It was regarding Luddington putting out self promotiion videos, i'm not sure that worked out for him. I don't think Degray thought about his videos in his decision to cut him at camp.
Please just give us a bit of a break with the Stewart stuff this year, it was over the top last year.

Frankie The Suit

Jan 10, 2016
I enjoy Ktowns views and he has the same right as everyone else on this board to discuss what he wants to say. There is nothing wrong with having a fan favorite and having him traded and follow him.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Thanks Frank, I'll try to calm it down for the Beacher, lol. Maybe they trade him and I'll bother a different fan base. Good luck to your guys tonight. Can't find out whether it is streamed

OSAfan

Jan 15, 2023
Tough night tonight. Sucks not getting to watch Barlow and Sedley play but it is exhibition.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

Ok now your going to get me going on the over promoting by mentioning Hookey. Anyone who knows me personally knows that I have been a Hookey fan since the day he showed up here and am excited to see what he does this season as you have pointed out he is leaner looking but heavier(muscle) and his skating is improved. I have been telling my buddies I can see him having a very good year,especially if they follow through with the making him the net front presence on the P.P. If he can hang in the top 6 and get P.P time he can put up some decent #s along with the grit he brings. Just my opinion but I think we robbed the Soo blind.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Ok now your going to get me going on the over promoting by mentioning Hookey. Anyone who knows me personally knows that I have been a Hookey fan since the day he showed up here and am excited to see what he does this season as you have pointed out he is leaner looking but heavier(muscle) and his skating is improved. I have been telling my buddies I can see him having a very good year,especially if they follow through with the making him the net front presence on the P.P. If he can hang in the top 6 and get P.P time he can put up some decent #s along with the grit he brings. Just my opinion but I think we robbed the Soo blind.
Good post dad ............... ;-)

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
He delivered the mail last night. Lovely top shelf PP goal standing on the edge of the blue paint

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Hey, you post about everyone, so no issues there. If Colby Balrow scores 5 goals and has 20 shots in a game, and then you come on here and want to put him down and talk up Hookey, then we may have a problem :) lol.

Reactions: KFawcett

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Hey, you post about everyone, so no issues there. If Colby Balrow scores 5 goals and has 20 shots in a game, and then you come on here and want to put him down and talk up Hookey, then we may have a problem :) lol.
Don't know who did that type of thing, but I agree, Hookey ahs all the tools to be an excellent player for you guys. Can't teach size
Or balls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad