Owen Sound Attack 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Attack have made cuts. Nansi and Ethier still with the team though neither signed as of yet.

Forwards: Nico Addy (23), Colby Barlow (39), Tomislav Brennan (19), Ethan Burroughs (29)*, Thomas Chafe (34), Ben Cormier (8), Jake Crawford (16), Deni Goure (7)*, Cedrick Guindon (11), Landen Hookey (10), Kaleb Lawrence (25)*, Servac Petrovsky (18), Jackson Stewart (22), Antonio Tersigni (37), Declan Waddick (27)

Defensemen: Taos Jordan (24), Martin Matejicek (15), James Petrovski (28), Braedyn Rogers (2), Sam Sedley (9)*, Gabriel Smith (3), Madden Steen (5)

Goalies: Carter George (32), Corbin Votary (30)

Also remaining with the team for an extended training camp are forward prospect Harry Nansi and defence prospect Sam Ethier.
Both are signed

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Attack pre-season roster has now been updated with player heights and weights. The new players have not yet been added. Some notable updates:

Hookey 6'4" 207lbs < 6'5" 215lbs
Waddick 5'10" 170lbs > 5'9" 162lbs
Tersigni 5'9" 152lbs < 5'10" 171lbs
Barlow 6'1" 187lbs < 6'1" 195lbs

Sedley 5'11" 183lbs < 5'11" 192lbs
Jordan 5'11" 180lbs < 5'11" 187lbs
Steen 6'2" 202lbs < 6'2" 214lbs
Petrovski 6'3" 187lbs < 6'4" 190lbs
Rogers 6'0" 157lbs < 6'0" 169lbs

George 6'0" 172lbs < 6'1" 182lbs

He was a total non-factor in my opinion.
With most of the players the new height and weights are noticeable.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Now we sit on the eve of the first pre-season game in Barrie.

From what I saw in training camp I think this team could surprise a lot of fans this year. One thing that was very noticeable was the size and gritty play that some of the young new guys showed in camp. But tomorrow isn't camp this will be a big eye opener for these new kids in the lineup against Barrie.

Will see how Addy, Crawford, Smith will look when puck drop hits and they get their first really test at this level. This should be an exciting game to see how we also stack up against a geographical rival this season ahead of the games that count.

Reactions: KFawcett

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Looks like both Nansi and Ethier are officially added to the pre-season roster, so we should expect a signing announcement shortly. Nice to see Nansi added, he was easily the best non signed player at camp IMO.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
What is the word on Luddington? Wasn't he hyped as a solid prospect?
I think alot of the hype on Luddington was created by 1 person with there youtube video lol. The Stewey and a 3rd for Uens was apparently already agreed on and Sean Lafortune apparently knew that the relationship between the Luddingtons and Kingston was fractured so Dale asked and they threw him in to. You never know when something like that works out. We didn't lose anything on the gamble and gave the player a chance to tryout.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Who do you like with Guindon and Barlow? I like the idea of having two goal scorers on Guindon's wings as he's a very good playmaker. Petrovsky would fit there too but depending on the OA situation I think he would be a good 2C. Hookey could work but they play a lot of rush/counter hockey that I'm not sure he could skate well enough to be impactful 100% of the time. Guindon and Barlow together look like a special pair but it would be nice to find the right player to compliment them on that line.
I do expect Declans teammates will keep him accountable and I believe his situation in Niagra contributed large in his -45 obviously I'm hoping we see a solid 2 way player that contributes to the lineup and fits in the lineup where he fits in. Personally who plays with 11,39 can vary game to game you can load up the skill against some teams but against the Knights and other teams that play that style I am a BIG time Hookey fan. Landon in camp looks like he has some jump in his step and I personally like the sandpaper he can bring to that line.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I do expect Declans teammates will keep him accountable and I believe his situation in Niagra contributed large in his -45 obviously I'm hoping we see a solid 2 way player that contributes to the lineup and fits in the lineup where he fits in. Personally who plays with 11,39 can vary game to game you can load up the skill against some teams but against the Knights and other teams that play that style I am a BIG time Hookey fan. Landon in camp looks like he has some jump in his step and I personally like the sandpaper he can bring to that line.
Hookey, Lawrence, Addy Crawford, Smith.
Stewart, Widdick, Jordan.

There's a lot of sandpaper

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
First pre-season game in the books.

Not a bad outing for the new kids in the group, let's not be mistaken here this lineup tonight likely won't be seen during the regular season this year unless some strange out of control circumstances happen.

There's always new adjustments that rookies will have to learn from and there's growing pains that come along with those adjustments. Tonight was just the start of the development side of what this league is especially for those rookies like Addy, Crawford, Nansi and Smith. Will see what happens Sunday when the team heads to North Bay and how quickly the new kids pick up the speed of the league.

Onward and forward.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I watched yesterdays scrimmages and will be accused of being Stewarts father or mother or brother or sister lol, but he scored twice and make a great play to lawrence for a goal. I was at the scrimmage in Kingston and can confirn Uens was playing forward. Luddington, I said way back when you send videos to hype yourself , you are overcompensating. I think this is the case here. Stewart plays physical and was physical yesterday. Thought the Addy kid looked good and will be a star for you guys for sure.
Stewart had 4 or 5 nice shoulder to shoulder hits in Barrie, knocking guys off their feet.
I'm happy when he plays like that. If that continues he is a very good piece of the roster.

He also took an uneccesary crosschecking call on a man down on the ice 1 min into the game.

He got lots of ice time , on both PP and PK.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
So the Cal Uens trade turns out to be a straight swap for Jackson Stewart. According to the Fronts board, Uens is now playing mostly forward and has not been impressive. Stewart seemed intent on playing a physical game in the scrimmage yesterday. Not sure where he fits in the lineup and whether or not he can contribute while not taking penalties.
Uens was only playing forward in the scrimmages because Callans became unavailable to play and a forward invitee didn't show -- they had LOTS of d-men so they moved Cal to forward for the scrimmages because they are already familiar with him. In the pre-season game vs 67's he was back on D.

Reactions: frontsfan67

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Stewart had 4 or 5 nice shoulder to shoulder hits in Barrie, knocking guys off their feet.
I'm happy when he plays like that. If that continues he is a very good piece of the roster.

He also took an uneccesary crosschecking call on a man down on the ice 1 min into the game.

He got lots of ice time , on both PP and PK.
I followed tha game on the ohl app, and saw he got a cross checking penalty early. He needs to calm down a bit. I'm glad he got some ice, wish it was on some stream. How di the rest look? Ice must have been brutal if it was as hot there as it was here.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Hookey on the first line? I guess you got the best of that trade then. I don't see Fantino playing on our first line at all this season.
I believe the plan is to spread things out, have players like Cedric Guindon, Colby Barlow, Servac Petrovsky , Deni Goure, Ethan Burroughs and Declan Waddick over 3 lines, with the likes of Hookey spotting in with two other high producers. A true first line would be something like Petrovsky / Guindon and Barlow, but it may be smarter to have 3 lines producing vs 2.

I figured that Hookey would be a 3rd line guy this year, but his skating looks to have improved significantly over what he looked like last year. I imagine that his season will see him scoring 20 to 25 goals, but will be a complimentary player to more skilled players. He'll probably be a second power play guy or bumped back to the second or more probably third line if they load up the top 2 lines.

Fantino had his moments, much more skilled then Hookey but I thought he had average hockey sense and was very much inconsistent, His best shift is probably better then Hookey, you just don't see it very often.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
I’m glad our OAs played well in the first preseason game.. they are cranking up that trade value for the odd man out lol.. I’ve been hard on the goalies the past few years but I really do think we have a stud in Carter George. Last year was a disappointment for sure. Hopefully they all can turn it around this year besides Barlow.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I followed tha game on the ohl app, and saw he got a cross checking penalty early. He needs to calm down a bit. I'm glad he got some ice, wish it was on some stream. How di the rest look? Ice must have been brutal if it was as hot there as it was here.
It was like a 7-11 slushy. Foggy too

It's expected he will be on the team. They will most likely move one of the three forward OAs.
He is absolutely on the team , as is 29

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I feel the Owen sound model is to have a superstar forward and build around them, but one main go to guy. Hishon, Ryan, Suzuki, Barlow

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Hookey on the first line? I guess you got the best of that trade then. I don't see Fantino playing on our first line at all this season.
I hate to say this to a Soo fan but ever since that trade I wonder what the heck your management was thinking. Don't know if Hookey needed the change of scenery but he has fit in here great. I walk at the arena and see the guys playing sewer ball and Hookey is a big part of the group Fantino didn't seem to gel with his mates. Someone said Fantino may have more skill I might argue that but as you've probably discovered he'll tease you with a great shift then he'll be MIA for games on end. Hookey doesn't always produce points but he is always INVOLVED in the game. I hope he sticks with Barlow and Guindon because in my opinion he brings an element to the line that I feel is needed.

Reactions: HockeyPops

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Hey attack fans. Just curious as kingston only has 2 OA’s. How many OA’s do you guys have this year? And who are they?

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Hey attack fans. Just curious as kingston only has 2 OA’s. How many OA’s do you guys have this year? And who are they?
We've got four still at camp in Goure, Burroughs, Lawrence, and Sedley.

Not a unanimous opinion on this board but I think Burroughs will be the odd man out, and Kingston would probably be a great home for him.

Goure pre eye injury was playing his way into a pro deal last year, Lawrence has size and untapped upside, and Sedley is really our only offensive D option.

Reactions: frontsfan67

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
We've got four still at camp in Goure, Burroughs, Lawrence, and Sedley.

Not a unanimous opinion on this board but I think Burroughs will be the odd man out, and Kingston would probably be a great home for him.

Goure pre eye injury was playing his way into a pro deal last year, Lawrence has size and untapped upside, and Sedley is really our only offensive D option.
From a straight up hockey look I would agree with your assesment. IMHO though there is a big reason they call Ethan ,Daddy Burr. I won't be surprised if what be brings to the room might win out of course I am a pro at being wrong so it will be interesting to see. I also think they will wait until all 4 return from camps to make the final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad