Owen Sound Attack 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I don't mind taking a flyer in the 5th rd especially when we have so many picks. If he doesn't show N/P If he does we all think WOW What a steal.
People will have different views for sure.

The "wow, what a steal" picks never materialize, at least not in recent years. The more assets available to work with, the better.

Who knows, perhaps Hishon will have better drawing power as a younger, fresher face in the hockey ops department to help sway some of these longshot picks to report.

Or maybe he can get Bieber to call these longshot picks and put in a good word for the Attack ;)

Personally, I'd rather see these types of picks made in the back half of the draft, not the front third. And especially not if they already have an NCAA commitment in place BEFORE the OHL draft (at least Barnes's came after the draft).

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
So I’m good friends with an OHL scout and he mentioned to me yesterday night that our first two picks will be really good OHL players with Galvin Bryant being a captain down the road, but after that he said that he doesn’t see anyone else that we drafted making an impact in the OHL.. I hope they prove him wrong.

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Interesting connection between the Attack and Brantford 99ers MM program with the Attack selecting Bryant and Bibby in this past Saturday's draft.

In an interview with 519 Sports, Gavin mentioned that former Attack forward Andrew Fritsch being an assistant coach for the 99ers this past season.

I'm sure that maybe not in a big way but in some slight way that could be a reason why the Attack selected both Bryant and Bibby may have been available when they were.

OHL Draft - Gavin Bryant picked by Owen Sound Attack in the 2nd round

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

Amazing story and a great guy! I just saw this and thought of you awesome Attack fans. Hope you are all staying safe and healthy. All the best. I know its not the most important thing in the world, but I can't wait to see our Knights play your Attack again. I think its one of the best matchups :)

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Interesting connection between the Attack and Brantford 99ers MM program with the Attack selecting Bryant and Bibby in this past Saturday's draft.

In an interview with 519 Sports, Gavin mentioned that former Attack forward Andrew Fritsch being an assistant coach for the 99ers this past season.

I'm sure that maybe not in a big way but in some slight way that could be a reason why the Attack selected both Bryant and Bibby may have been available when they were.

OHL Draft - Gavin Bryant picked by Owen Sound Attack in the 2nd round
I have not listened to the interview but thought I read somewhere it was Shorkey not Fritsch but it doesnt really matter theres a connection there of some sort hope it works out.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I have not listened to the interview but thought I read somewhere it was Shorkey not Fritsch but it doesnt really matter theres a connection there of some sort hope it works out.

According to the interview on 519 sports on YouTube Fritsch is name was mentioned but you're right it's a Attack alumni in some connection.

Reactions: Noofgoof

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Amazing story and a great guy! I just saw this and thought of you awesome Attack fans. Hope you are all staying safe and healthy. All the best. I know its not the most important thing in the world, but I can't wait to see our Knights play your Attack again. I think its one of the best matchups :)

Sometimes we the fans forget that junior hockey is a stepping stone and in some ways it can be a true life changing situation for some kids. Bobby Ryan was a get junior player and a great guy on and off the ice.

Thanks for sharing this LDN, this is the type of story that should really make fans across the CHL think the next time they shout at kids to skate harder for shoot the puck in games that the CHL is that stepping stone for kids that need a fresh start.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack pick 3 in the U18 Draft selection.

Anthony Bax from the Oakville Rangers MM '5"08 162 lbs. defensemen
Benjamin Bates from the Kitchener Jr. Rangers MM '6"03 194 goalie
Chet Hudson from the Huron-Perth Lakers MM '5"10 149 left winger

Bax has some decent numbers from Oakville last season 5 - G 20 A 25 P part of the Oakville Rangers 3rd place in the 2020 SCTA

Bates was a decent tender last season in the Kitchener Jr. Rangers with a GAA 2.28

Hudson maybe a diamond in the rough playing last year with the Huron-Perth Lakers who had 32 points in 33 games last season. Attack have managed to turn a few of these second chance kids into decent prospects in the past two seasons with Griffin Wilson, Kaleb Pearson and Logan Le Sage being three guys last year that looked good in the season that had all went through the U-18 draft.

According to Dale these kids are really here to push the competition in camp, which is not surprising for these U-18 kids. Dale always seems to like big goaltenders Votary is '6"2 176 and Bates being '6 "3 194.

The talent pool will be interesting once again especially with guys in later rounds like Bibby and Fantino in the mid-rounds and with Guindon and Bryant being the top round picks.

The training camp will wide open with what looks like the some interesting prospects in the '04 class.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Who going to be your 3 OA you keep?
My choices are Pearson Poppy and Kirwan provided they are wanting to play an O/A year. LA not being able to find a place for ,or wanting Dudas to come back because of the shortened season would alter that maybe

Reactions: the dog

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
My choices are Pearson Poppy and Kirwan provided they are wanting to play an O/A year. LA not being able to find a place for ,or wanting Dudas to come back because of the shortened season would alter that maybe

Would be my choices if they're available assuming what happens with Dudas.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Think Josh Samanski takes a step forward into a top 6 or first line role next year?
I believe so. Josh had a strong training camp then was hampered by a minor injury. When the season was cancelled he was just coming into what I thought he was.I expect him to play a solid role on this team.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It's been quiet on this board for awhile so thought I would post this nice story from Joel Ward who just announced his retirement.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/joel-ward-nhl-retirement

Joel Ward was certainly that textbook player that Owen Sound has made famous for taking longshots and turning them into steady career NHLers. Just goes to show that 1st round 15th round doesn't matter in to OHL or the NHLs eyes if you put the work in you will succeed in the CHL and the NHL with a longstanding careers.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular postponed for 2020

Fishtents officially postponed this August.

May not be immediately relevant to the Attack, however the tail end of the tents coincides with the beginning of Training Camp.

Given this news and the very uncertain timeline provided by the Ontario government, I am expecting the start of next season will be delayed at the very least, and it's not unreasonable that a gate-driven league like the OHL could lose a whole season.

Would be devastating for a small market club like ours, and especially rough for the boys who have so much to play for and need that development time.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Some of you guys were discussing OA candidates for next season yet no mention of Adam McMaster???
I will go out on a limb and say that if McMaster returns for an OA season, he will score 30 goals. :popcorn:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Some of you guys were discussing OA candidates for next season yet no mention of Adam McMaster???
I will go out on a limb and say that if McMaster returns for an OA season, he will score 30 goals. :popcorn:

Optimistic that's for sure he really picked up his game as the season wound down and would be a great OA candidate for sure. Until/when we see how the cards fall on the next season will have to wait and see who comes back and who takes different routes i.e. college/university/OHL/AHL/NHL.

Options for sure.

Reactions: nelli27

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

He very well may, however he won't play ahead of Kirwin, Pearson or Popov.

Good opportunity for the Attack, they will have 2 or so OAs to move on and get good returns on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad