Owen Sound Attack 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Well, that wraps up the season. There are surveys on the Attack website for STH and single ticket users on this season's experience and what you would like to see in the future. This is a great way to get your voice heard. Owen Sound Attack – Official site of the Owen Sound Attack
Now on to the draft on April 4th. We have some great picks in the first few rounds so hopefully DD, Joey and scouts can pick some good additions to our young squad for next year. We will be watching online to see the rookies that get drafted. I hope they pick players that will actually report.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well, that wraps up the season. There are surveys on the Attack website for STH and single ticket users on this season's experience and what you would like to see in the future. This is a great way to get your voice heard. Owen Sound Attack – Official site of the Owen Sound Attack
Now on to the draft on April 4th. We have some great picks in the first few rounds so hopefully DD, Joey and scouts can pick some good additions to our young squad for next year. We will be watching online to see the rookies that get drafted. I hope they pick players that will actually report.

Lots of interesting prospects for sure very little info thus far in the way of prospects beyond just a tentative list.

Would think that Joey will definitely have his hands on this draft, last year he had his hands on picking up Kaleb Pearson and Sam Sedley who were two good pick ups this season to see.

I like where the team is headed direction wise especially with the younger talented players will be able to step up and take on bigger roles.

Reactions: Attackfan72

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
I'm not a huge DD fan, but I think if they let Joey have some say, we will be ok!!!! Go Attack Go!!!!!

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Might be a bit early to to get talking about the draft but with a solid core of returning guys next season that could be back next season.

Guzda (19)
Chenard (18)

Robertson (OA)
Chibrikov (19)
Seed (18)
Perrott (19)
Sedley (17)
Woolley (19)

Goure (17)
Samanski (18)
Le Sage (18)
Kirwin (OA)
Wilson (19)
Machacek (18)
MacMaster (OA)
Lawrence (17)
Pearson (OA)
Dudas - possible return (OA)
Burroughs (17)
Popov (OA)

Downside to all the returning guys at this point is that with 6 possible OA's that could return to the team next season which would be the best 3 to keep

Robertson, Kirwin, MacMaster, Pearson, Dudas and Popov. All would be quality OA's to bring back.

Personally Robertson should be back as the only OA defenseman on the active roster that could return which leaves the real question on which one of Kirwin, MacMaster, Pearson, and Popov will be back as 20's.

Assuming Robertson and Dudas would be the as the first two logical choices for 2 out of 3 returnees as OA's that leaves a real big question on which one of Kirwin, MacMaster, Pearson or Popov would be the 3rd 20yo. I know that there will be a big decision on which one will be here on opening night next season. All of them bring something different to the club however I think the team will likely have to make a difficult decision on who stays and who goes and it could come down to what postition needs to be filled more critically.

Of course this will all depend upon how well the team drafts come draft day and what area they key in on with the opening few rounds. Safe to say a defenseman will be a key spot to fill with a 16yo as you always need a young up and comer on the blue-line.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
My own personal wishlist for the draft...

1) No longshot picks, such as American players who are questionable about reporting here. For example, Dylan Wendt and Artem Shlaine in recent years. Basically, whenever management says, "If this guy reports, he will be the steal of the draft"...I personally don't want to see any more of that. Every guy who does not report is one less asset in the bank. If we are more intentional in drafting guys who will report, and if we end up getting a surplus of guys who do report and are good enough to make the roster, then that's a great problem to have, we can always trade some of them (good asset management). Kind of like how we got Perrott--he was good enough to make the Knights' roster, but was not playing, so they got Hancock out of him and tried for a cup run. Looking at our team from a few seasons ago, when we had a championship-calibre team on paper, there were mid- and late-round picks who were big contributors...guys who reported in the first place.

2) I think we need to diversify the makeup of our roster, so I'd like to see more size and strength in the roster, especially at the forward position. Basically we are a one-weapon team....speed. Speed is really the only weapon we have. After we had that hot start and got into the CHL Top 10 back in October, teams figured out pretty quickly that they have to neutralize our speed or else they'd be in trouble. So we started seeing teams trap the heck out of us in the neutral zone, and in the O-zone they clog the middle of the ice (space between the faceoff circles), which made us cycle the puck all the time and relegated us to the perimeter along the boards.....so we got into this terrible habit of dominating the puck possession game, but put up 40+ shots from way out, shooting right in the goalies' breadbasket, and not generating very many quality scoring chances...and the narrative was always "Tough game, we didn't get any breaks, their goalie was good, what more can we do?" We have to take it upon ourselves to manufacture those breaks, take matters into our own hands, attack the net, break down defenders, make things harder on goalies, drive the puck to the net and to the middle of the ice for better scoring opportunities, and ultimately find ways to create and finish scoring chances. We have a lot of small, speedy forwards....a very one-dimensional team up front if you look at the roster. I think we need more size at the F position to complement those small, speedy forwards. The Suzuki-Hancock-Gadjovich line was so effective because they could do it all...3 very different forwards who, together as a unit, could beat you in a ton of different ways. They were so hard to defend because they were so diverse in their skillset as a line. You look at teams like St. Louis and Boston who have had success recently, they're known to play "heavy hockey". And I'm not talking about drafting pylons--you can have big players who still have lots of skill, speed, and hockey sense. Basically, I think we need to diversify the makeup of our team to give us more weapons and more tools to win.

3) Puck-moving defensemen to help generate speed through the neutral zone and make it that much harder to defend against us, especially since we see a lot of teams using the trap against us. If speed is going to be our main identify and our main weapon, it needs to start from the back end. We're losing Lyle next year, he will be missed in that regard for sure (and of course for a lot of other reasons, too).

The Attack made some changes to their scouting staff last offseason. Brian Teakle being one of them, he came here from the Spitfires I believe. And Joey seems to be having more influence in the hockey ops department. Should be an interesting draft for sure. And something to look forward to without any real hockey happening these days!

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Might be a bit early to to get talking about the draft but with a solid core of returning guys next season that could be back next season.

Guzda (19)
Chenard (18)

Robertson (OA)
Chibrikov (19)
Seed (18)
Perrott (19)
Sedley (17)
Woolley (19)

Goure (17)
Samanski (18)
Le Sage (18)
Kirwin (OA)
Wilson (19)
Machacek (18)
MacMaster (OA)
Lawrence (17)
Pearson (OA)
Burroughs (17)
Popov (OA)

Downside to all the returning guys at this point is that with 6 possible OA's that could return to the team next season which would be the best 3 to keep

Robertson, Kirwin, MacMaster, Pearson, Dudas and Popov. All would be quality OA's to bring back.

Personally Robertson should be back as the only OA defenseman on the active roster that could return which leaves the real question on which one of Kirwin, MacMaster, Pearson, and Popov will be back as 20's.

Assuming Robertson and Dudas would be the as the first two logical choices for 2 out of 3 returnees as OA's that leaves a real big question on which one of Kirwin, MacMaster, Pearson or Popov would be the 3rd 20yo. I know that there will be a big decision on which one will be here on opening night next season. All of them bring something different to the club however I think the team will likely have to make a difficult decision on who stays and who goes and it could come down to what postition needs to be filled more critically.

Of course this will all depend upon how well the team drafts come draft day and what area they key in on with the opening few rounds. Safe to say a defenseman will be a key spot to fill with a 16yo as you always need a young up and comer on the blue-line.

I think after the rumoured shopping of Robertson at the deadline, that moving him makes a ton of sense. For one, we won't be returning a lot of offence up front, so keeping as many of those overage players up front makes a lot of sense. Second, we have the depth on the blueline with three 2001 born defenders to make up the loss. Third, just by the laws of economics, keeping more overage forwards likely improves the return for the ones the team has to cut, whereas Robertson is a bit more scarce positionally and would net a solid return.

Covid-19 aside, so much of the OA situation comes down to pro options. I would say Dudas is not coming back, but given that a guy like Phillips got sent back this year, the team would be wise to hold onto his rights until the deadline just in case.

The other pro question has to be Popov, who would likely benefit from another year in the OHL, but played well enough that he could catch on with an ECHL team, or if he has his eyes on Russia, head there to play VHL if he was dead set on it. Pure speculation on my part, but he's in that level of OA candidate where pro is at least a possibility.

In my scenario, Dudas and Popov both turning pro solves the OA situation, as Robertson is dealt, and Kirwin, Pearson, and McMaster are the three who stay. That's the order I would keep them in if any of the other OA's stay on the roster.

The problem with this team is the only spot with any high end talent for next season is in net, and we may see a bit of a goalie controversy as Chenard will probably be either pushing for more starts, or want to be traded. The team had one of the best goaltending tandems in the league this year, and will probably be outright the best next season.

This team needs another 2002 born forward, as Samanski is the only impact player. Machachek has some nice qualities to his game but he's not shown any offensive ability and should be seen as a question mark to return. LeSage was our 13th/14th forward all year, so he's a wildcard. That's a thin group.

Luckily there's plenty of room for the 2003 group to step up, and I expect Goure and Burroughs to be stapled to the Top 6 next season, and Lawrence likely centring a third line.

Anyway, we'll have plenty more to discuss after the draft I'm sure. Then of course there's the import draft, where I think a 2002 born forward could be a much more realistic target.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Here is an early shot at what I think our roster may look like come opening day. (whenever that may be)

00/LW-Popov - 03/C-Goure - 00/RW-Pearson
03/LW-Lawrence - 00/C-Kirwin - 03/RW-Burroughs
02/LW-Machacek - 02/C-Samanski - 02/RW-Trade
02/LW-LaSage - 01/C-Wilson - 04/RW-1'st pick
04/LW-3'rd pick - 04/C-3'rd pick - 03/RW-Import

01/LD-Woolley - 01/PD-Parrott
01/LD-Chibrikov - 03/RD-Sedley
02/LD-Seed - 02/RD-Trade
04/LD-2'nd pick

01/G-Guzda
02/G-Chenard

With this projected roster, I have a few trades that would likely be made.
00/LW-McMaster
00/LD-Robertson
01/G-Guzda - (if #31 Chenard looks like he can jump into the #1 role)

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I think after the rumoured shopping of Robertson at the deadline, that moving him makes a ton of sense. For one, we won't be returning a lot of offence up front, so keeping as many of those overage players up front makes a lot of sense. Second, we have the depth on the blueline with three 2001 born defenders to make up the loss. Third, just by the laws of economics, keeping more overage forwards likely improves the return for the ones the team has to cut, whereas Robertson is a bit more scarce positionally and would net a solid return.

Covid-19 aside, so much of the OA situation comes down to pro options. I would say Dudas is not coming back, but given that a guy like Phillips got sent back this year, the team would be wise to hold onto his rights until the deadline just in case.

The other pro question has to be Popov, who would likely benefit from another year in the OHL, but played well enough that he could catch on with an ECHL team, or if he has his eyes on Russia, head there to play VHL if he was dead set on it. Pure speculation on my part, but he's in that level of OA candidate where pro is at least a possibility.

In my scenario, Dudas and Popov both turning pro solves the OA situation, as Robertson is dealt, and Kirwin, Pearson, and McMaster are the three who stay. That's the order I would keep them in if any of the other OA's stay on the roster.

The problem with this team is the only spot with any high end talent for next season is in net, and we may see a bit of a goalie controversy as Chenard will probably be either pushing for more starts, or want to be traded. The team had one of the best goaltending tandems in the league this year, and will probably be outright the best next season.

This team needs another 2002 born forward, as Samanski is the only impact player. Machachek has some nice qualities to his game but he's not shown any offensive ability and should be seen as a question mark to return. LeSage was our 13th/14th forward all year, so he's a wildcard. That's a thin group.

Luckily there's plenty of room for the 2003 group to step up, and I expect Goure and Burroughs to be stapled to the Top 6 next season, and Lawrence likely centring a third line.

Anyway, we'll have plenty more to discuss after the draft I'm sure. Then of course there's the import draft, where I think a 2002 born forward could be a much more realistic target.
About Robertson and the OA situation...just my own thoughts, but I feel it'd be too big of a blow to our blueline next season to lose Lyle AND Robertson. When I think of who could anchor the blueline next season, Robertson stands out as that guy. He was also our second highest scoring D-man. Especially if Popov goes pro next season, as you rightly mention is a possibility, I'd be included to keep Robertson.

I agree with your comments about the goaltending and import situations, as well as the need for another '02 F.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
About Robertson and the OA situation...just my own thoughts, but I feel it'd be too big of a blow to our blueline next season to lose Lyle AND Robertson. When I think of who could anchor the blueline next season, Robertson stands out as that guy. He was also our second highest scoring D-man. Especially if Popov goes pro next season, as you rightly mention is a possibility, I'd be included to keep Robertson.

I agree with your comments about the goaltending and import situations, as well as the need for another '02 F.

I don't disagree about Robertson and I think it's a huge tossup what way the team goes this summer. It's too bad Nolan Seed din't take that next step this season because he has the toolset to fill that offensive void (whereas the three 01 defenders are all more defensive).

Maybe Chibrikov and Perrott have some ability to be more offensively minded.

The other consideration is the opportunity cost. We either lose Robertson's offence - at a position I'd argue we're much deeper at - or we lose a player like Pearson's offence.

We've got 1 2001 forward amd it's Wilson, so there's little to no offence from 19 year olds next year. I think that's a bigger problem for the team.

So we'll have to see. Just hope management is aggressive so these kids all have a place to play in September and we're not stuck rotating quality overagers in and out of the lineup.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Heading into draft day the team picking 10th seems to have some strong connection with the Attack.

Since the was resurrected in 2000 the Attack have selected 10th overall in the priority selection what will be 4 times including this draft year. Some notable names the Attack have picked at 10th.

Brad Richardson - 2001 OHL Draft
Aidan Dudas - 2016 OHL Draft
Deni Goure - 2019 OHL Draft

Saturday the Attack will once again pick 10th for the second straight year in a row with a little bit of luck on the team's side the Attack will yet again pick a franchise guy at 10.

Reactions: Noofgoof

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Easy on the best goalie tandem.. nothing proves that at all... guzda needs to be a lot more consistent next season.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Easy on the best goalie tandem.. nothing proves that at all... guzda needs to be a lot more consistent next season.

This season there were 9 goalies with enough qualifying minutes in the entire league with a save percentage of .900 or greater. Guzda and Chenard were two of them.

Just a few seasons ago this board pined for one goalie who could hit that threshold. It's rare in today's OHL to have even one now. I don't think enough people here look around the league and see what's really out there.

Guzda certainly struggled at times this season but I think that was as much due to the team playing him too much as anything else.

I'll await some actual argument from you though.

Reactions: AttackBeacher

Bear in the Woods

Nov 21, 2017
This season there were 9 goalies with enough qualifying minutes in the entire league with a save percentage of .900 or greater. Guzda and Chenard were two of them.

Just a few seasons ago this board pined for one goalie who could hit that threshold. It's rare in today's OHL to have even one now. I don't think enough people here look around the league and see what's really out there.

Guzda certainly struggled at times this season but I think that was as much due to the team playing him too much as anything else.

I'll await some actual argument from you though.

It takes more than stats to be a franchise goaltender.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can someone on here explain how Dale got Flint's 4th round selection in Saturdays draft ???

Not I, the only transaction between the teams I can recall is K.Pearson for a conditional pick.
A lot of doubles for OS; 2(3,4,5,6,8,10)

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014

Guzda (19)
Chenard (18)

Robertson (OA)
Chibrikov (19)
Seed (18)
Perrott (19)
Sedley (17)
Woolley (19)

Goure (17)
Samanski (18)
Le Sage (18)
Kirwin (OA)
Wilson (19)
Machacek (18)
MacMaster (OA)
Lawrence (17)
Pearson (OA)
Burroughs (17)
Popov (OA)

Dudas will not be back

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Tomorrow is my second favorite day of the season.

The future holds in the fate of the draft picks tomorrow. There's always surprises in the draft and there a few guys out of the draft prospects that always rise my eyebrows on how we missed the chance to get or that we managed to have slide into a pick we had open.

9 a.m. will be the start of the the next phase of the young core of exciting group returning.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Really interesting article in the ST today, including an interview with Brock Otten about the Attack.

Draft day dawns on Attack

Couldn't agree more: "I think that getting players to report is the single most important thing that makes a draft successful."

Interesting to note that he suggests, ideally, 50% of the Attack's 10 picks in the first 6 rounds should turn into "bonafide OHL players."

Sounds like its a really deep draft...not much separating the back half of the first round and the back half of the third round.

He also mentions that, other than Kaleb Lawrence, most of the Attack's picks last year are not big guys.

A great read. Props to Mr. Cowan for that piece.

Reactions: PensFan101

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
1st pick...Cedrick Guindon. Sounds like the prototypical Attack forward.

CEDRICK GUINDON
LC ROCKLAND NATIONALS U18
HOMETOWN: ROCKLAND, ON
DOB: APR. 21/2004
GP G A PTS PIM 41 24 35 59 8

SCOUTING REPORT: Cedrick was consistently his team’s best and most productive player over the course of the season. His great offensive instincts coupled with his skill and quickness were attributes that made him dangerous every time he was on the ice. He isn’t the biggest player but he doesn’t shy away from contact to make plays. He understands the game well on both sides of the puck and was used in every situation throughout the season. He was the top scoring 2004-born player in the HEO and was named Player of the Year.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Some info on Laurenzo Bonaiuto (our second 3rd Rd pick) from Prospect Pipeline...

2020 OHL Draft Preview: 25 Top Prospects

Instant Analysis: Lorenzo Bonaiuto’s game is defined by his stellar skating abilities and speed in all three zones of the ice. Afforded with a few games of Minor Midget experience in his Bantam season, Bonaiuto features solid size and the work-ethic necessary to single-handedly drive his team’s offensive attack. As a creative playmaker who features an improving shot, Bonaiuto’s unrelenting drive makes him a handful for opposing defenders to contain on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Noofgoof
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad