Owen Sound Attack 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Has The Attack Management made any type of statement In regards to the CHL class action lawsuit? I can’t find one anywhere. Just wondering

At this point in time no additional teams have made any formal public statement about this incident(s) beyond that of Mr. Carcillo in regards to his time with the Sarnia Sting and Mr. Guest from the Kitchener Rangers from an OHL standpoint. The only other connection is one that links a former Vancouver Giants player who has stepped forward in the lawsuit against the CHL.

No former Attack/Platers alumni have been mentioned in connection in anyway to this lawsuit, to futher that Owen Sound has not been in any way linked directly or indirectly to this situation or have come to the media front addressing any sort of connection with/to the situation(s) that occurred in Mr. Carcillo's and Mr. Guest's time in the OHL.

This as I see it is a completely one off mention at this point, from both who have been mentioned and should not be a complete reflection on other teams. There has been no additional evidence that would in anyway prove/disprove that other OHL teams have had similar situations happen before or since.

To find fault in other teams without having solid evidence that would prove that similar situations happened would be detrimental to not also the teams but the CHL as a whole.

Until such time that we see additional evidence that would prove that these two clubs weren't the only ones that were involved in such incidents these would be considered isolated incidents. No more, no less.

Reactions: FanAttack6

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Saw this on another OHL board. Interesting stats, Owen Sound has worst record of recruiting American hockey players.
How Often Does Your Favourite OHL Team Convince Their American Draft Picks To Come?

Let's be honest Owen Sound will always have a difficult time recruiting U.S. born players. This has more to do with the what the American born players and agents request from OHL teams. The Attack will never be able to play that bartering game with agents like other teams like London, Windsor, Ottawa or Kitchener can do. The only way will be through subtle trades with teams who are top heavy on skaters who need places to play.

Lots of these players, agents and parents who are connected to high profile kids want usually the same thing top 6-forward minutes, special teams ice and key situations that most teams in the CHL give to 3-4 year veterans or NHL drafted import players who have been requested by their NHL draft clubs to report to the CHL and in-turn North America to develop the North American style of play to their game. With American-born players there will always be the continued debate about what and where is the more beneficial location to further those kids careers. Unfortunately there will always be those places across the whole CHL where attracting American players will be a challange.

The best way to look at it is not the players who don't come to training camp in the fall but look at the ones who do report and put the effort in to further their steps to the pros. DD has always stood by his principle of drafting kids is like opening a door of opportunity for these kids once there in camp it's truly up to the kid(s) to make it difficult for management not to sign them to standard player agreements and it has proven to be fruitful e.g. Sean Durzi, Kaleb Pearson, Griffin Wilson, Jacob Friend, Geoffrey Schemitsch to name a few.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Saw this on another OHL board. Interesting stats, Owen Sound has worst record of recruiting American hockey players.
How Often Does Your Favourite OHL Team Convince Their American Draft Picks To Come?
The information is not accurate.
They say only Mack Guzda has reported. Andrew Maclean is American.
There may be others .

Not surprising, I suspect a lot has to do with the co$t of recruiting .

Also Erie, #1 at recruiting American based player to an American team, seems logical .

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The information is not accurate.
They say only Mack Guzda has reported. Andrew Maclean is American.
There may be others .

Not surprising, I suspect a lot has to do with the co$t of recruiting .

Also Erie, #1 at recruiting American based player to an American team, seems logical .

The information is accurate.

Andrew MacLean was a 10th round pick. This is looking at the top 8 rounds (after the 8th round, league wide there is a big drop off which indicates that's when teams start to take swings at NCAA commits, which is why the article looks at the top 8 rounds), which is stated literally in the first line of the article.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

With Guindon, Bryant and Steen being the Attack recent draft class representatives who we invited to Hockey Canada's Virtual U17's camp shows what type of talent that's in this '04 draft class for the Attack organization.

Anytime you can get one player invited to Hockey Canada shows that your scouting staff had keyed in on the right type of prospect for your team. In this case seeing 3 make team Canada's program is impressive for the players and the Attack scouting staff and the team itself to have those types of talent young men join the Attack hopefully this fall.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The information is accurate.

Andrew MacLean was a 10th round pick. This is looking at the top 8 rounds (after the 8th round, league wide there is a big drop off which indicates that's when teams start to take swings at NCAA commits, which is why the article looks at the top 8 rounds), which is stated literally in the first line of the article.

Let's be clear about one thing the top 5 rounds are the bulk of any teams roster, after that 6-10 are shots in the dark to say there's a big drop across the league is an understatement anyone who follows this level of hockey close enough knows that the majority of teams rosters are made up of the top 5 rounds. Every so often you get an exception to the rule and find players in the later rounds to crack a roster but on average the core of most teams are made of rounds 1-5. Anybody can figure out who can sway the American talent from the draft just look at the teams draft results every year there's usually 2-3 teams that can swing higher profile guys that others would take as longshots.

Reactions: dirty12

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack GM gearing up for tomorrow's import draft and coming season. Interesting interview with Fred.
CHL Import Draft Tuesday

That would indicate that DD has the inside track on some teams, as he stated 3 guys are hopefully gonna be within his reach but also expect Machacek to come back. But like everything in the world is not rushing to see things open up. Hopefully DD can find a diamond in the import draft.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Owen Sound picks Noah Delemont with their import selection. He played last year in the Q for Acadie-Bathurst, and struggled offensively on a weak team.

Very happy with the pick though, I've followed Delemont for a while as he was one of the more touted Swiss 02 players. Small for a defender, but is the classic modern defender with good skating and puck moving ability. Between that and being an 02 birthdate, he fills a few needs for the Attack, and has a year of North American play under his belt.

He is also a very similar player stylistically to Nolan Seed, so I wonder if this pick means anything for his future after the rumours around the trade deadline.

Sidebar, wondering if him likely being francophone played a role in picking him, given we suddenly have a few french speakers on the roster.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
DD takes '5"09 defensemen Noah Delemont 18 yo who was playing in the QMJHL last season with AB Titan had 13 points in 64 games and was -18 with 38 penalty minutes. This looks to be the safe route to take for DD with the kid familiar with the North American game already.

Just have to teach him the OHL systems which creates a lot smoother transition.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Owen Sound picks Noah Delemont with their import selection. He played last year in the Q for Acadie-Bathurst, and struggled offensively on a weak team.

Very happy with the pick though, I've followed Delemont for a while as he was one of the more touted Swiss 02 players. Small for a defender, but is the classic modern defender with good skating and puck moving ability. Between that and being an 02 birthdate, he fills a few needs for the Attack, and has a year of North American play under his belt.

He is also a very similar player stylistically to Nolan Seed, so I wonder if this pick means anything for his future after the rumours around the trade deadline.

Sidebar, wondering if him likely being francophone played a role in picking him, given we suddenly have a few french speakers on the roster.

I asked Jack Flinn the one time when DD picked him up on waivers from Sherbrooke in the Q about whether it was a change between the Q and O from being instructed from a league and province that's predominantly french speaking.

He chuckled and just said " I never had a problem in the Q because every coach is bilingual in English and French language. It may not seem like a huge thing as players from the O and Q get waved back and forth all the time or in the import case redrafted from one league to another.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017

I have learned over 30 yrs to never say never when it come to whether a player will be moved or not. I wonder though if this is simply a chance to add a 02 player with MJ experience our depth with 02's is pretty weak which IMHO is possibly a slight issue next year.

Reactions: AttackSound

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I have learned over 30 yrs to never say never when it come to whether a player will be moved or not. I wonder though if this is simply a chance to add a 02 player with MJ experience our depth with 02's is pretty weak which IMHO is possibly a slight issue next year.

There will always be 3 constants in this league.

1. Your roster truly isn't ever set until past the January 10th trade deadline.

2. Expect the unexpected (if you don't think a deal is in play it probably is).

3. Never assume chances, managers know very well where the weak links are in there depth charts they get paid to put them together for starters.

Beyond those 3 simple facts anything could and probably will happen it just depends on the price of the deal or the development progression of who's here already. I due however agree that the 02' class is thinned out looking at what the roster has coming back and that is definitely an area that the team will have to address in some way before or during the season if we expect to continue to make noise.

The real question will not be whether or not the team adds an 02' but how many other teams are loaded with 02's or are in the same boat as the Attack.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could give a bit of input on your former coach Mike Stothers

Stothers was one coach that really was a key point in the Attack organization he coached unfortunately the teams of that era the team was in the early years under the new name and the team struggled to get there footing. After spending several years bouncing in the NHL/AHL system with Philadelphia he would end up in the Sound where his best year was a 2nd round playoff berth with a team that had a (32-29-4-3) where he would coach the team to a (4-1) series win over Kitchener to fall in round 2 to the London Knights by a (4-2) series defeat. This was also a point in time where the management was questionable on some of the teams deals that were made.

Stothers would have to be IMO the 3rd best coach we had in franchise history behind Mark Reeds and Ryan McGill.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Stothers was one coach that really was a key point in the Attack organization he coached unfortunately the teams of that era the team was in the early years under the new name and the team struggled to get there footing. After spending several years bouncing in the NHL/AHL system with Philadelphia he would end up in the Sound where his best year was a 2nd round playoff berth with a team that had a (32-29-4-3) where he would coach the team to a (4-1) series win over Kitchener to fall in round 2 to the London Knights by a (4-2) series defeat. This was also a point in time where the management was questionable on some of the teams deals that were made.

Stothers would have to be IMO the 3rd best coach we had in franchise history behind Mark Reeds and Ryan McGill.
Fair point

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could give a bit of input on your former coach Mike Stothers

Stotts has the reputation of being a control freak but as HC is that not his job. 2 key things IMHO that he did here is he took a pudgy out of shape kid and got him drafted 2nd overall to Crosby he also dried out a kid who may have made the show if Stotts could have controlled him a little longer. Yes Stotts had the BigSnake on the wagon clean and sober unfortunately when he got out from under Mikes wing he fell hard. I would endorse his hiring as good for any franchise.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you are into game worns the team is selling quite a few of them from past seasons online for real cheap (starting at $100). Got a Cade Robinson one from 18-19 for $100.

FanAttack6

Mar 4, 2019
I worry about the future of our Attack! I know that the Ontario hockey league is confident that they will have a feasible 2020-2021 season but how many fans would feel comfortable in a crowded arena? Are social distancing practises feasible? And an arena with reduce capacity? How will the team financially survive? There are too many uncertainties and it could be a year or two before a vaccine is even developed.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I worry about the future of our Attack! I know that the Ontario hockey league is confident that they will have a feasible 2020-2021 season but how many fans would feel comfortable in a crowded arena? Are social distancing practises feasible? And an arena with reduce capacity? How will the team financially survive? There are too many uncertainties and it could be a year or two before a vaccine is even developed.

Certainly a fair question. I would have to think that they would be ok to start, I believe I read in the sun times that they were credited the rent on the arena for the games missed, and while I'm not sure, I think that they are fairly lean with regards to staffing and efficiency. Plus, to be honest, the only thing holding back the league from starting up at limited capacity is the US. As long as people are good with wearing masks indoors groups at 1/3 capacity (kind of like church now) should be ok in 2/3 months, I mean look how far we've come in the last month (cases cut in half), imagine how well things are going to go in the next 2 months.

The wild card will be people willing to get into the rink, but I think so many in the area seem ready to get back to normal, and while there will be some trepidation, but also a willingness to get back into that 'normal' that will allow the franchise to be viable for the short term. Perhaps not profitable, but certainly viable.

Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->