Owen Sound Attack 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Failure to secure an experienced , quality goaltender in 2017 torpedoed the teams best chance of success, in the 'post Victor Mete ' years.

After declaring there was 'no way we are going into 2018 with two 17 year old goalies', the writing was on the wall for me before things got going .

It's unfortunate the assets realized in that Mete deal will not see their goal realized in Owen Sound , and so the teardown, resultant pain and rebuild begins.

We are not experienced in this here, however , management strategies throughout the league force DD to get with the times.

2019 begins with the grey of clouds hanging over our team, and also the most excitement moving forward, wondering just what things will look like as the new foundation is laid .

Somewhat ironically, the guy who shouldered much of the growing pains the last time the Attack was in this situation ( even worse ), just happens to be on board as a coach now.

Yes folks us Attack fans have had a good run of better than decent hockey, now it's our turn to pay the piper.

Tickattack

Dec 30, 2018
Failure to secure an experienced , quality goaltender in 2017 torpedoed the teams best chance of success, in the 'post Victor Mete ' years.

After declaring there was 'no way we are going into 2018 with two 17 year old goalies', the writing was on the wall for me before things got going .

It's unfortunate the assets realized in that Mete deal will not see their goal realized in Owen Sound , and so the teardown, resultant pain and rebuild begins.

We are not experienced in this here, however , management strategies throughout the league force DD to get with the times.

2019 begins with the grey of clouds hanging over our team, and also the most excitement moving forward, wondering just what things will look like as the new foundation is laid .

Somewhat ironically, the guy who shouldered much of the growing pains the last time the Attack was in this situation ( even worse ), just happens to be on board as a coach now.

Yes folks us Attack fans have had a good run of better than decent hockey, now it's our turn to pay the piper.
Yes, I agree that if we make some trades shortly to get some young talent and draft picks, a top priority should be a skilled veteran goalie. Last year London traded for young talent, but notice they hung on to Raymakers. To develop the young talent we need stability in goal. Even the best young prospects can lose their confidence quickly.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018

Phillips was one of the results of the Mete deal. He may come full circle

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
And if he does Im sure it wouldnt matter if they tacted on 2 conditional picks or 8 ... either way they need to cover that basis and have some kind of condition in there if for some crazy unknown reason he got sent back. Im not actually saying 8 picks just hypothetically it wouldnt matter how many if they are that sure hes not coming back

And as I mentioned before, those conditionals are leveraged against LESS in the trade. Take your two additional 2nds as conditionals but take one less 3rd round pick in the trade. That is how it works.

Reactions: aresknights

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
All I am saying I’d be sure to cover that aspect if it was to happen.. If I was Montreal and Suzuki could return to OS next year or return to London with the best coach in junior hockey and play in front of the biggest fan base with the most exposure when hes not the biggest guy in the world and can save a year of control which option would be better..I personally feel he could still learn some things from this league especially from a good coach unlike the one we have here in the sound

Suzuki will NOT be an OA next year. Why is anyone even having this discussion.

Jack Attack

Mar 19, 2016
Just returned from an extended Holiday vacation. Looks like a lot of things going on in Attackland at the moment. The Christmas break has shown to be a curse for this team after riding a brilliant 5 game win streak heading in. Looking into the 3 games since the return to action, one thing instantly stands out to me, the Coach has given up on a game plan to actually WIN. There seems to be no structure in the game plan as there was before the break. Is Gill now just coaching to coach or is he coaching to WIN?
- There has been no line combinations that last for more than 4-5 shifts. It's easy to say that anyone should be able to play with anyone, but I would think in the OHL, your best players should be playing with your best players. Not very often do you see a team that is in the top half of the Conference shuffle the lines and try to have 4 "even" lines to try and win.
- There is no emotion from behind the bench to lead the charges (there rarely has been) and the team seems to be playing like that as well.
- There has been no line matching whatsoever (I watched Kitchener match lines in OS with the Attack having the last change).
- The Defence ALL seem to be playing an offensive style (rushing the puck into the offensive zone) even if their skill set does not show that they can successfully accomplish it.
- The Goaltending, expectedly has returned to where it once was - underwhelming. Hard to put blame on two 17 year olds however. With the talent that this team had coming out of training camp one only can wonder why there wasn't an experienced "tender" brought in to be the backbone of stability in goal, while working with and teaching a young 17 year old partner.

So, moving forward into the New Year it is quite certain that this Attack team will look different in a short two weeks. I may be alone in thinking this but I would only hope that DD after receiving multiple high draft picks in return for our top players (Suzuki, Phillips, Hancock, Durzi) will immediately flip a couple of them for -
1. A veteran starting Goalie that can keep this team afloat throughout the remainder of this season and next.
2. A top 99 Forward that will be an offensive OA next season.

It will be sad to see this talented group dismantled in the days ahead, we can only trust that the decisions made by DD and management will not have a lasting uncertainty of the success of this storied franchise!

No contender is going to trade a good veteran goalie or 99 forward. They got want they want in mcmaster, a 00 forward. They don't need a goalie upgrade. They need young players and picks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Name the OHL teams that have lost more players with junior eligibilty left (not OA years) than London over the last 10-15 years.

Ill await the answer. Thou I doubt it comes

The evidence kinda goes against yoir claim that Suzuki would be more likely returned if he played for London but dont let facts get in the way.

Suzuki on Londons roster or anywhere else is a super longshot to return in spite of your thoughts on a little surprised to retrun to LK but a lot elsewhere. #s suggest the exact opposite but buy into the hater hype lol.
Again Ill await your answer on who has had more kids go pro early than London. You will be hard pressed to find one ;)

Sarnia has had some tough luck when it comes to early graduation ... Stamkos, Yakopov, Galenchuk, Konechny, Zacha, Chychrun...

Last edited:
Reactions: OSA and aresknights

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
No contender is going to trade a good veteran goalie or 99 forward. They got want they want in mcmaster, a 00 forward. They don't need a goalie upgrade. They need young players and picks.

Butler trading Propp to DeGray would not be a big surprise

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Sarnia has had some tough luck when it comes to early graduation ... Stamkos, Yakopov, Galenchuk, Konechny, Chychrun...
Yup they have for sure, but it still wouldnt compare if you look at the larger picture. Go back to Nash, Kane, Gagner, and follow it thru to present day. It seemingly happens on average once a year a kid with non OA eligibility leaves for the show.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
DD would be crucified by Attack fans since that would be a terrible deal. You dont rebuild with a 19 yr old goalie who's having a bad season, by trading your young goalie.
Agree.... keep both Guzda and McLean and let them battle it out. Both good keepers and it wouldn't be a bad thing to have 2 18 yr olds for next season unless of course one demands the #1 spot or they'll want out. But for now keep both.

Tickattack

Dec 30, 2018
Agree.... keep both Guzda and McLean and let them battle it out. Both good keepers and it wouldn't be a bad thing to have 2 18 yr olds for next season unless of course one demands the #1 spot or they'll want out. But for now keep both.
If we go with Guzda & MacLean after trading our veterans, we will lose a lot of games and give up a lot of goals. Bringing in a veteran goalie would bring a lot of stability to these young players. Losing to many games by large goal margins could destroy a lot of these young guys. If we are going to make a future run for the cup these guys have to be developed properly.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I actually don't hate the idea of bringing in a veteran goalie. Especially a 2000 born tender if their is one available. My fear entering a full blown tear down is having 2 17 year old goalies that both lose their confidence down the stretch.

I just hope that if it comes at the cost of a Guzda, that the trade is one that doesn't leave us shaking our heads.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
The Attack already had Propp last year, if they wanted him they could have kept him. He was better than anything they had last season.
I doubt Butlar would trade him if the Battalion look to make it to the playoffs.
Owen Sound needs to learn the lesson Windsor and Kitchener didn't; never should you have goalies from the same birth year on you active roster. Sooner or later one of them is going to have to be traded.
That is a tough call on which one it should be; I have only seen them play a couple times and each has merits.
I personally like Guzda as he has the size, skating and technical skills to develop into a great goalie. Maclean is a little more raw, less technical but he battles hard. Without a veteran goalie to mentor either I doubt either develop to their potential.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
DD would be crucified by Attack fans since that would be a terrible deal. You dont rebuild with a 19 yr old goalie who's having a bad season, by trading your young goalie.
If DD had kept Propp last year he would have been praised as brilliant. I don't disagree agree with you now though, there is no point to get a 19 yr old if team is selling off.
For this season ride the young guys out, get a round of playoffs in then figure out what to do for next season.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Both goalies need a mentor.. therefore they should get a goalie that can show them the ropes..a cheap OA tender not sure how many there would be out there but it in my opinion would be perfect.. but that all depends on how the rest of our OA situation plays out.. and yes that means one either gets sent down for the remainder of the year or one gets dealt.. I personally would deal one. But thats just me

Last edited:

OSattackfan

Jan 13, 2018
Contrary to what some on here say he has also done well in trades with London. Gemel Smith and victor Mete to be specific

Degray is a respected GM in the league: Owen Sound is in good hands there

That being said the coach doesn’t get the same endorsement
Well said

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I actually don't hate the idea of bringing in a veteran goalie. Especially a 2000 born tender if their is one available. My fear entering a full blown tear down is having 2 17 year old goalies that both lose their confidence down the stretch.

I just hope that if it comes at the cost of a Guzda, that the trade is one that doesn't leave us shaking our heads.
With 2 17 y/o goalies, you really have only one more year max of development before you need to hand over the reins to one. Even a '99 goalie that is returning next year would be a good acquisition to help buy the time these goalies need.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016

I am not saying a contending team may have to move an older Goalie or a 99 Forward. Look at what Kitchener has available to return next year as their OA's? What I am saying is if the Attack trade away the likes of Suzuki, Hancock, Phillips and Durzi, there should be multiple high picks coming back our way. With those picks, move a couple of them for a 99 Forward that will be in your top 6 next year, I do not see that potential on the roster now. Again I will state, having two 17 year old goalies is not the perfect scenario moving into next season, move one now and bring in an older guy to ease the pains of having a young team.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
How ironic it would be to acquire a proper, OHL-calibre veteran goalie *AFTER* a sell-off! We needed this in August 2017. All of the goalies that DD acquired since then who played with the team (Bowman and Lafreniere, and even Torchia) have proven to be not good enough to play in the OHL, while the best veteran goalies that the Attack had over this period--Vella and Propp--were traded away without playing a single game in that role which we still need filled. How does a scenario like that happen?? It's mind-boggling as a fan.

Take the goalie situation and add to it DD's hiring of ex-Leafs teammate TG, the team's weak priority drafts in 2017 and 2018, the team's questionable import drafts in 2017 and 2018, the awkward surplus of OA's earlier this season, and the multiple 'soft trade' deals over the past 1.5 seasons where we piddle away quality draft picks without actually filling the team's biggest needs...and it seems clear enough that it's been a bad couple of seasons for DD. Meanwhile, all of this has played out over the second and third year of a 3-year window with a core group including Suzuki, Gadj, Hancock, Durzi, Phillips, Sushko, Bourque, etc...which makes all these apparent missteps by management much tougher to swallow. The fact that the team now finds itself in a selling position during what should be a contending season is quite disappointing. There's potential for a silver lining if DD can get back some quality 02's and/or 01's with the needed draft picks and 'retool' rather than 'rebuild', and we'll see how this plays out in what appears to be a buyer's market right now. Although with TG at the helm going forward, it may not really matter what the roster looks like.

Uncertain times in Attackland for sure.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
The only trade should be TG. And if that's a problem for his buddy DD then both should be let go. Owner needs to make the next move here. Owen Sound has a star-studded lineup that is simply not believing in the program. The problem is at the top. Fix it and watch the heartbeat return to the Bayshore. OS should be actively seeking a replacement coach/development guy as we speak.

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
How ironic it would be to acquire a proper, OHL-calibre veteran goalie *AFTER* a sell-off! We needed this in August 2017. All of the goalies that DD acquired since then who played with the team (Bowman and Lafreniere, and even Torchia) have proven to be not good enough to play in the OHL, while the best veteran goalies that the Attack had over this period--Vella and Propp--were traded away without playing a single game in that role which we still need filled. How does a scenario like that happen?? It's mind-boggling as a fan.

Take the goalie situation and add to it DD's hiring of ex-Leafs teammate TG, the team's weak priority drafts in 2017 and 2018, the team's questionable import drafts in 2017 and 2018, the awkward surplus of OA's earlier this season, and the multiple 'soft trade' deals over the past 1.5 seasons where we piddle away quality draft picks without actually filling the team's biggest needs...and it seems clear enough that it's been a bad couple of seasons for DD. Meanwhile, all of this has played out over the second and third year of a 3-year window with a core group including Suzuki, Gadj, Hancock, Durzi, Phillips, Sushko, Bourque, etc...which makes all these apparent missteps by management much tougher to swallow. The fact that the team now finds itself in a selling position during what should be a contending season is quite disappointing. There's potential for a silver lining if DD can get back some quality 02's and/or 01's with the needed draft picks and 'retool' rather than 'rebuild', and we'll see how this plays out in what appears to be a buyer's market right now. Although with TG at the helm going forward, it may not really matter what the roster looks like.

Uncertain times in Attackland for sure.
It really has caused for a lot of uncertainty. Because it's a buyers market there is a surplus of star players who may be better than Suzuki. What's his worth now?

The 2 OA spots open in Ottawa should see at least one of ours going there. My guess would be either Hancock or Durzi but that would be for picks so DD needs to get a body or 2 in other deals.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Yup they have for sure, but it still wouldnt compare if you look at the larger picture. Go back to Nash, Kane, Gagner, and follow it thru to present day. It seemingly happens on average once a year a kid with non OA eligibility leaves for the show.
Have you actually compiled the data on this or is it Speculation? Not asking to be a "Richard" . But if you haven't done the research I may pick it up.... I had done the research into the whole " The NHL is keeping more junior eligible players since the lost season of 04/05 than before it" and I'm pretty sure the data I collected can be applied here.... I just need to update my spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad