Overrated Prospect Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
St Louis doesn’t have any elite talent so you can win a Cup without a Crosby or Doughty.

But we do have elite talent, Chabot is a top 3 NHL Dman and Tkachuk is the best power forward in the NHL.
Pietrangelo, O'Rielly and Tarasenko are elite.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I mean part of it is that Tkachuk/White/Chabot are no longer prospects, but also we got nothing for Hoffman and not that much for Karlsson.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Meh,

We haven’t seen the full return on the players we traded away, and still have a handful of veterans that I expect will be dealt by the end of 2021.

If you don’t graduate Tkachuk and keep our 4th Overall Pick, I doubt anyone worries.

We’re likely to have a top 5 picks this year in a very stacked draft year, and another 4 other picks in the top 60.

Also, we have drafted a decent amount of College player, that typically fly under the radar in terms of hype.

We do need some Elite level prospects (outside of Braanstrom) but we knew not having our 1st this year was essentially delaying the rebuild by 1 season.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
It's unfair to judge the senators rebuild as a failure so quickly.

Just 20 months ago they traded for Duchene. But for that trade, they would have an additional 4th overall pick (or better), Shane Bowers, and in all likelihood another 1st round pick for Turris (the price Stastny went for as a rental at 2018 deadline).

If the Senators had those pieces added to their current haul they'd probably be considered top 5-7.

It's unfair to call a re-build bad because of a "go for it" trade.

2017-2018 was a horribly botched run.

2018-2019 was a tear down.

Rebuild starts now with a ton of cap space (if it's ever used), 6 extra picks and a mid-level prospect pool.

There are worse places to start a re-build from.

That being said I'm not particularly confident in Dorion's ability to pull it off.

Last edited:

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
It's unfair to judge the senators rebuild as a failure so quickly.

Just 20 months ago they traded for Duchene. But for that trade, they would have an additional 4th overall pick (or better), Shane Bowers, and in all likelihood another 1st round pick for Turris (the price Stastny went for as a rental at 2018 deadline).

If the Senators had those pieces added to their current haul they'd probably be considered top 5-7.

It's unfair to call a re-build bad because of a "go for it" trade.

2017-2018 was a horribly botched run.

2018-2019 was a tear down.

Rebuild starts now with a ton of cap space (if it's ever used), 6 extra picks and a mid-level propsect pool.

There are worse places to start a re-build from.

That being said I'm not particularly confident in Dorion's ability to pull it off.

Hammer proceeds to hit nail.

Reactions: Bevans

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That's fine. None of our prospects project to be at the level of those 3.

Brannstrom could be a Letang type and Norris could be a Selke level player, but yeah, it’ll be Chabot + Tkachuk and Batherson leading the charge. I’d compare all 3 to what St. Louis in their core 3

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
That's fine. None of our prospects project to be at the level of those 3.

Must be nice to be able to make your insightful calls with the gift of hindsight.

O'Reilly was a 2nd round pick ppg OHL player. Paryako was a 3rd round prospect project taken out of the AJHL.

You really think the Senators have nothing as good in their organization as Paryako was, circa July 2012, when he had just been passed over 85 times?

What a brutal call.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
Must be nice to be able to make your insightful calls with the gift of hindsight.

O'Reilly was a 2nd round pick ppg OHL player. Paryako was a 3rd round prospect project taken out of the AJHL.

You really think the Senators have nothing as good in their organization as Paryako was, circa July 2012, when he had just been passed over 85 times?

What a brutal call.
That's not what he said. Your reading comprehension is garbage and you come off looking for a petty squabble.
At the time he was drafted, Parayko wasn't projected to be as good as he was. Similarly, none of our prospects project to be as good as the three Blues players mentioned, aside from maybe Brannstrom. Does that mean someone won't exceed expectations? No, but it's always very unlikely.

Now go calm down, maybe go for a swim or something, Jesus.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
That's not what he said. Your reading comprehension is garbage and you come off looking for a petty squabble.
At the time he was drafted, Parayko wasn't projected to be as good as he was. Similarly, none of our prospects project to be as good as the three Blues players mentioned, aside from maybe Brannstrom. Does that mean someone won't exceed expectations? No, but it's always very unlikely.

Now go calm down, maybe go for a swim or something, Jesus.

The point is how can you say no one projects to be those 3, when they didn't project to be those 3?

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Is that what I said?

Whomever we draft between 1-6th overall, should be as good as Tarasenko or O’Rielly, I would hope, given what is being said about this draft. (LWOS has Byfield at 5 I think)

I think we have a lot of players in our system, that have the potential to match the impact the Blues have:

Tkachuk -> Schenn (should be better)
Chabot -> Pie
Thomson-> Parayko

Up until this past year, O’Rielly was never seen as a 1A Centre. (You could argue he still isn’t).

We probably don’t have that in the system, unless Brown, Norris or White show more. (Even then, White put up better numbers then O’Reilly did until his 3rd NHL season)

Reactions: coladin

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Is that what I said?

My post was too sarcastic sorry.

My less aggressive post should have been to say that it's easier to say that Senators prospects cant reach that level when you're using hindsight for blues players and foresight for senators players.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Whomever we draft between 1-6th overall, should be as good as Tarasenko or O’Rielly, I would hope, given what is being said about this draft. (LWOS has Byfield at 5 I think)

I think we have a lot of players in our system, that have the potential to match the impact the Blues have:

Tkachuk -> Schenn (should be better)
Chabot -> Pie
Thomson-> Parayko

Up until this past year, O’Rielly was never seen as a 1A Centre. (You could argue he still isn’t).

We probably don’t have that in the system, unless Brown, Norris or White show more. (Even then, White put up better numbers then O’Reilly did until his 3rd NHL season)

lets not lock chabot into anything until he extends.....well because you know

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oh I think Josh Norris is a pretty good bet to be at least that, maybe more. He had s very good season at Michigan and a great World Juniors. It's unfortunate that he got hurt, but that will be just a bump in the road - I suspect he has a big camp and puts himself on our prospect map in a big way.

The big year for our prospect pool, of course, is next year, with five picks inside the top 60 in a deep draft. Forget the rankings now - check them out a year from now...

If the Senators finish last next season and then win the lottery to pick number 1 or 2, then we will get a substantial uptick in the ratings.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Our pool isn't goung to get votes from mote casual onservers because our top (or second depending on hoelw you rank them) prospect isn't a high pick. Batherson flies under the radar just like Stone did.

We also graduated Tkachuk who would likely still be in most other team's pools.

That and of course giving up our pick to Colorado.

I won't lose sleep over HF boards rankings at this stage. Will be curious to see how some of the other sources like Pronman and TSN rank the farms. Those types of rankings typically will be more informed about the under the radar guys.

I am looking forward to seeing the Pronman, TSN and other respected assessors rankings too, of both our prospects as well as the team for next year. I suspect the prospects to be in the middle range (11 to 20) and the team to be selected for bottom 5 in the league-wide standings if not the worst team in the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One thing worth pointing out is goalies typically don't move the needle with prospect pools, but we seem to have a pretty good group (best group I can recall, I guess having Lehner and Bishop was better as both were NHL ready, but after that there was nothing of substance) which if even one pans out will be huge for our long term outlook.

Reactions: innocent bystander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad