Overrated Prospect Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
HF has been voting the best Pools and Ottawa is not a top 10 pool
Hf ranking prospect Pools #10

A user posted this
Also, shouldn't we talk about how mid tier Ottawa's pool is despite them being so bad. That's concerning

And I thought he is absolutely right... for a team that just sold of Stone, Hoffman, Duchene and EK...

How did this team not build one of the best farms in hockey

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

A user posted this

And I thought he is absolutely right... for a team that just sold of Stone, Hoffman, Duchene and EK...

Dohrion is gambling that he will out smart the system?

I believe the other veteran GMs are making a consertive effort to screw the sens.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not having 4th in 2019 hurts the pool...but give it a bit of time.

We're still in the final stages of tearing down the team....we haven't even started the rebuild part.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Well, we'll likely have a few years of top 5 picks coming up. It's not all do-or-die in 2020.

This is going to be a very long process.
For the last 10 years we have been sloting players where they shouldnt be because our lack of skilled talent. We need to get it right drafting players at some point.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

A user posted this

Our pool isn't goung to get votes from mote casual onservers because our top (or second depending on hoelw you rank them) prospect isn't a high pick. Batherson flies under the radar just like Stone did.

We also graduated Tkachuk who would likely still be in most other team's pools.

That and of course giving up our pick to Colorado.

I won't lose sleep over HF boards rankings at this stage. Will be curious to see how some of the other sources like Pronman and TSN rank the farms. Those types of rankings typically will be more informed about the under the radar guys.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Dorion has been pushing for quantity of tier 2 prospects over elite prospects. We'll see how that strategy pans out.

Reactions: Yak

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We have a mid tier prospect pool, it is very concerning. Another reason that this rebuild is not very appealing or bringing much confidence. Quality over quantity, while we have the reverse.

They need to draft top 3 and then hit another home run next year to swing things.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think it’s a bit overrated but it’s definitely top 10 in my opinion. Steve Kourianos (sp?) from the draft analyst whose opinion I respect has Ottawa as top 10 locks for his rankings that have not yet been finalized. Just look at our daily polls, we are still voting for quality prospects in the double digits. Some guys like Norris and JBD will be underrated by other fans.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Our pool isn't goung to get votes from mote casual onservers because our top (or second depending on hoelw you rank them) prospect isn't a high pick. Batherson flies under the radar just like Stone did.

I won't lose sleep over HF boards rankings at this stage. Will be curious to see how some of the other sources like Pronman and TSN rank the farms. Those types of rankings typically will be more informed about the under the radar guys.

Counterpoint... the club had four blue chip assets in EK, Hoffman, Stone and Duchene to kick off a rebuild

And the best forward prospect from that haul was Josh Norris

I’m not exactly sure how you can have any confidence in this “rebuild”

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We have great depth but no elite prospect. Without having had the time to do a deep dive on all the other pools I'd guess we are somewhere in the 7 to 12th range.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
We have great depth but no elite prospect. Without having had the time to do a deep dive on all the other pools I'd guess we are somewhere in the 7 to 12th range.

Depth is dime a dozen..

Other then Brown and Batherson, I don’t think there is another forward prospect you can count on for 40 points one day

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Depth is dime a dozen..

Other then Brown and Batherson, I don’t think there is another forward prospect you can count on for 40 points one day

Oh I think Josh Norris is a pretty good bet to be at least that, maybe more. He had s very good season at Michigan and a great World Juniors. It's unfortunate that he got hurt, but that will be just a bump in the road - I suspect he has a big camp and puts himself on our prospect map in a big way.

The big year for our prospect pool, of course, is next year, with five picks inside the top 60 in a deep draft. Forget the rankings now - check them out a year from now...

Reactions: Karlstrobe

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Last paragraph says it all.

Good assessments over HF boards any day

:nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Depth is dime a dozen..

Norris likely gets there and Balcers was close to pacing that in his first kick at the can. If other prospect don't pass him on the depth chart he will get the mins and have a very strong chance at hitting 40 on a regular basis.

Depth is how you turn out guys like Stone and Hoffman. If it were a dime a dozen every team would be pumping out similar guys on a regular basis and nobody would talk about how great those picks were.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It depends what you consider elite then, which is fine. By most accounts he’s a top 10-15 prospect in the game and a top 5 d prospect. I’d consider him elite myself (our only elite prospect).
My point is to get a top 10 pool you either need a top 10 prospect or a heck of a lot of depth. We don't have a top 10 prospect imo but we are close with him and our depth is very good.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Depth is dime a dozen..

Yes, but a teams with a franchise player and no depth is basically what Edmonton is right now.

Got to have some star power, and some quality int he rest of the lineup if you want to be successful.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Looking at what the Rangers have been able to get through draft picks and trades the past few years without trading away anyone even close to as good as Karlsson/Stone is depressing.
It'll be interesting to see how Brannstrom pans out.

Wrt to Karlsson I think the jury remains out on that trade. We did not trade a 2 time Norris winner in prime health and i certainly would of expected a better return if we had.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

A user posted this

Big, active HF hockey markets doing the voting is not the most scientific, but Ottawa is underrated. You have Alex Nylander the top line winger in Chicago who is on the verge of busting, ahead of the Senators.

I mean, is there anyone on Montreal’s blue line that is better than Brannstrom or JBD? And they are 4th?

I like our prospect pool and are comfortably in the Top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad