Value of: Ovechkin to Pittsburgh

letsgooooooojackets

Mar 10, 2017
CBJ
Now, I know this seems impossible. And I will admit that it will never be feasible, but I would like to see if anyone can come up with any deals that could get Ovi to Pitt that would be at least be somewhat fair value. All explained and respectful opinions are welcome

Again, this is not meant to be what you think can happen, just a VALUE OF thread.

If you just comment, "will never happen" you aren't contributing and are just trying to be a wet blanket.

Earlier this off-season, Ovechkin was discussed as being on the trade block. An offer from I believe Calgary was reportedly rejected. Personally I think Washington should have taken that offer, presuming of course that the rumors were true.

Now I personally strongly dislike the Penguins, but it would be quite interesting (especially as a plot twist, and to get new fans engaged) for Ovi to pull a Durant (I know, not a perfect comparison, but still) and go to Pitt.

As Ovi is now not considered a player of Crosby or McDavid caliber, as he was a few years ago, even last season, I don't think this would eliminate all competition a la the NBA and would be fascinating from an outsider point of view.

If you are a fan of either team and don't want Ovi to make this move under any circumstances, that is understood but please understand this is a critical thinking, hypothetical, "value of" exercise during what has been a boring off-season.

Hopefully someone can construct a great trade and we can uncover the next great NHL GM on these boards, I can think of a few teams who are in the market for one. :laugh:

:popcorn:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Now, I know this seems impossible. And I will admit that it will never be feasible, but I would like to see if anyone can come up with any deals that could get Ovi to Pitt that would be at least be somewhat fair value. All explained and respectful opinions are welcome

Again, this is not meant to be what you think can happen, just a VALUE OF thread.

If you just comment, "will never happen" you aren't contributing and are just trying to be a wet blanket.

Earlier this off-season, Ovechkin was discussed as being on the trade block. An offer from I believe Calgary was reportedly rejected. Personally I think Washington should have taken that offer, presuming of course that the rumors were true.

Now I personally strongly dislike the Penguins, but it would be quite interesting (especially as a plot twist, and to get new fans engaged) for Ovi to pull a Durant (I know, not a perfect comparison, but still) and go to Pitt.

As Ovi is now not considered a player of Crosby or McDavid caliber, as he was a few years ago, even last season, I don't think this would eliminate all competition a la the NBA and would be fascinating from an outsider point of view.

If you are a fan of either team and don't want Ovi to make this move under any circumstances, that is understood but please understand this is a critical thinking, hypothetical, "value of" exercise during what has been a boring off-season.

Hopefully someone can construct a great trade and we can uncover the next great NHL GM on these boards, I can think of a few teams who are in the market for one. :laugh:

that never happened or was considered a valid source

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Zero interest in seeing Ovechkin in Pittsburgh.

Whether he's worth his 9.5m cap hit to Washington (or someone else) doesn't mean much, when he's not worth that cap hit to Pittsburgh. Last season the wingers Pittsburgh flanked Crosby with and Kessel didn't cost as much as Ovechkin does. Right now with Sheary's new deal, that's still less than 1m more then what Washington is paying Ovechkin.

He's not a player that Pittsburgh needs, and he's not worth his cap hit (at least to us). Pittsburgh is a better team without Ovechkin on it - at least in the salary cap world.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So this bumps Phil Kessel to the fourth line?

Without discussing the player or the cost, the Pens are ridiculously deep on the wings and would deal from that strength to fill a weakness elsewhere (read: 3C) long before even considering adding another winger.

Plus the salary cap exists. Hence the 3C vacancy...

Last edited:

letsgooooooojackets

Mar 10, 2017
CBJ

Hopefully we could at least see a proposal lol, I know it is hard folks but it would be nice to have one to debate.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hopefully we could at least see a proposal lol, I know it is hard folks but it would be nice to have one to debate.

Why? Pittsburgh fans do not want Ovechkin in Pittsburgh. He carries a 9.5m cap hit and doesn't address ANY needs that Pittsburgh has. I mean this should be fairly straight forward.

5 years ago when Staal was still here, something around Malkin and Ovechkin at least addressed Pittsburgh's needs (not saying it made sense even then, but it at least addressed a need). Now however with Hornqvist, Kessel, Sheary and Guentzel here with Sprong and ZAR in the wings, Ovechkin doesn't even address a need for Pittsburgh - and that's before getting into the cap situation.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I wouldn't mind it actually. Kessel+1st for Ovie with 2 million retained

Sid/Ovie or Malkin/Ovie would be sick. Big body, great shot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd swap Ovy for Kessel+ if we're acquiring a cheap 3C. Dude would be nuts on our PP. Caps change up their dynamic and get cap relief.

Reality. Caps would never trade us Ovy.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Why? Pittsburgh fans do not want Ovechkin in Pittsburgh. He carries a 9.5m cap hit and doesn't address ANY needs that Pittsburgh has. I mean this should be fairly straight forward.

5 years ago when Staal was still here, something around Malkin and Ovechkin at least addressed Pittsburgh's needs (not saying it made sense even then, but it at least addressed a need). Now however with Hornqvist, Kessel, Sheary and Guentzel here with Sprong and ZAR in the wings, Ovechkin doesn't even address a need for Pittsburgh - and that's before getting into the cap situation.

pretty much, kinda like how washington can never trade for crosby. too much hate

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
pretty much, kinda like how washington can never trade for crosby. too much hate

No, I think Penguins fans don't want Ovechkin because he's not good enough to justify his salary and bringing him in would hurt more than it would help. This isn't a petty "lol I don't like him" thing, it's thinking adding Ovechkin would hurt the Penguins.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
No, I think Penguins fans don't want Ovechkin because he's not good enough to justify his salary and bringing him in would hurt more than it would help. This isn't a petty "lol I don't like him" thing, it's thinking adding Ovechkin would hurt the Penguins.

He still has the best shot in the game 2nd only to Laine maybe.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Most definitely. I'm not against Ovechkin ever wearing a Penguins jersey, but the thought of him in one right now is purely nonsense given the Penguins roster and recent success. Even if Washington offered him up, there'd be no reason for the Penguins to bite. The Pens just led the league in scoring and won a second consecutive Cup, adding a $9.5M winger would require massive roster upheaval that is neither needed nor wanted.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kessel is better for the Pens than OV. Wouldn't do that trade straight up.

Agreed. Kessel despite not having the physical presence Ovechkin does, is younger, faster and has a better tool box offensively. And he has a cap hit that's almost 3m less.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He still has the best shot in the game 2nd only to Laine maybe.

Kessel and Sheary are only costing us $262,000 more against the cap then what Ovechkin costs. Pretty easy to see why without massive retention it doesn't make any sense for Pittsburgh to acquire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad