Value of: Ovechkin to Pittsburgh

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If Ovi went to Pittsburgh and won a Cup it would only tarnish his legacy as people would only say he could only win as a second fiddle passenger to better players.

Malkin seems to be getting by just fine and "untarnished":sarcasm:

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
If we could back two years knowing what we know now no Penguins fan would swap OV for Kessel (let alone whatever we'd have to add).

So why would we do it now? OV is the better player but in context not the better player for this team (than Kessel).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait Emp, are you seriously suggesting that Kessel is better than Ovi?

Obviously this thread is silly and Ovi to the Pens is nonsensical on so many fronts, but does anyone honestly believe that Kessel is better than Ovi?

I would 100% take Kessel over Ovechkin in the playoffs, so in the playoffs, yes he is.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
"If you just comment, "will never happen" you aren't contributing and are just trying to be a wet blanket."

But it isn't going to happen and never will.

There is just no arguing otherwise

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
To Washington he is the face of their franchise, their cash cow, their captain and the best player they ever had.

That's why I have a hard time seeing them move on from him. And yes, they'd be moving him to a long-time rival, making it even more unlikely.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
He does, I don't know why my brain always plugs him in at RW.

Point still stands, though, the Pens are loaded with wingers.

He is a right handed shot who prefers to play the off wing. I think any package to Washington would have to be comprised of very young, cost controlled player with high upside.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Malkin seems to be getting by just fine and "untarnished":sarcasm:

Malkin has played for the Pens his entire career and been a huge part of their 3 Cups, including a Conn Smythe win. Fair or not (I tend to think not) if Ovi was traded to Pittsburgh and they won a Cup people would accuse him of being a passenger. He's already got an unfair reputation for being bad in the playoffs when afaik he's been quite good.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I would 100% take Kessel over Ovechkin in the playoffs, so in the playoffs, yes he is.

Okay. I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love Kessel and acquiring Ovi isn't at all realistic, but if the Caps would accept Kessel for Ovi straight up and the salary cap didn't exist, I'd gladly take it.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Malkin has played for the Pens his entire career and been a huge part of their 3 Cups, including a Conn Smythe win. Fair or not (I tend to think not) if Ovi was traded to Pittsburgh and they won a Cup people would accuse him of being a passenger. He's already got an unfair reputation for being bad in the playoffs when afaik he's been quite good.

I agree right down to thinking that Ovechkin's loser rep is not really based on reality.

Kessel strikes me as a much better comparison here than Malkin. As he at least came in with a losing record and a bit of a reputation as not eaxctly a winner. As opposed to, you know, having an almost historic Conn Smythe run in his third year.

And Kessel mostly avoided the just a passenger narrative with a real stellar post season in 16. That cup was not won despite him being on the team, but at least in part because of it. There is no reason Ovechkin could not do the same. Neither will ever get that mystical "willing team to cups"-aura Toews has, but neither will Malkin. That one seems to have a hard enough time even really sticking to Crosby.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Okay. I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I love Kessel and acquiring Ovi isn't at all realistic, but if the Caps would accept Kessel for Ovi straight up and the salary cap didn't exist, I'd gladly take it.

I have to agree with Emp on this even with no Cap at least in the current structure the Pens play in. I just don't think Ovi fits Sullivan's Pens at all not that Phil is perfect for it but his playmaking is much better imo.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Wing is our strongest position right now and Ovie would destroy the cap of back-to-back Cup Champs, so uh, **** no.

But if Washington wanted to do something ridiculous like Kessel for Ovie with 3 mil retained, then sure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think, in terms of fit for the team, Kessel works better on the Pens than Ovechkin would simply because I think Kessel can carry his own line (better playmaker than Ovechkin) if Sullivan goes with a 3-line attack.

If we're talking about the Ovechkin from prior to around 2013? Then yeah, he can carry his line. But this current version of Ovechkin seems more content to just wait for a pass which will never be coming if he were to anchor Pittsburgh's 3rd line.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
While the OP wants an offer, and I understand just wanting to ponder and theorize different situations. But for me, the asset management and cap management is in such disparity with what it would take to acquire Ovi, that its just simply a hard pass. Player to player he is better than our top two wingers. Guentzel and Kessel, but he isn't so much better that we need to, as another Pens fan put it spill over the whole apple cart just to get him. It isn't so much of a difference, especially when one of our deepest positions in at the winger position, to use the assest it would require to get him and also take on that 9.5M cap hit. Player to player, yes Ovi is better than anything we have. Alone in a vacuum. But what it would take to get him and what we would have to move to make him fit in the cap I feel would ultimately overall make the Pens a worse team overall. He simply would cost to much both in trade and salary to justify bringing him to Pittsburgh.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wait Emp, are you seriously suggesting that Kessel is better than Ovi?

Not quite as "nonsensical" as you think. Go look at their ES production over the last 2 seasons:

#8: 46 ES goals, 90 ES points
81: 36 ES goals, 82 ES points

If you look at just last season:

#8: 16 ES goals, 43 ES points
81: 15 ES goals, 40 ES points

That doesn't scream "Ovechkin is better".

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I wouldn't. Ovechkin is a better version of Neal - someone who you'll have to cater your offense and PP to. Very good player with an amazing shot, but not someone you want to have to anchor to your top lines simply because that's the only place he can play and be effective.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
I'd pass on Ovi just cause of his age, cap hit, and how the team he currently plays for is basically built around his playstyle, I don't think that would work in Pittsburgh. I also think he's gotten way too predictable with the type of goals he scores and the limits of his playmaking abilities. Regarding the playoffs, I'd rather have someone more dynamic, harder to defend against. That's not a shot at Ovi, I think that about pretty much every player that makes the one-timer the main part of their game, even if they're really good at it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ovechkin's marketing value, even now, exceeds his on-ice value. I can't envision a scenario in which Washington would retain salary to move him, which would be absolutely necessary for him to go to Pittsburgh. Nor can I envision a general manager trading the center-piece of their ticket sales strategy to their hated rival who keeps eliminating them from the playoffs.

If Alexander Ovechkin were to go to the Penguins, then score the goal that ended the Washington Capitals' season, that's the type of thing that causes an owner to fire a general manager in a sudden fit of anger.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Ovechkin-Malkin-Kessel

:sarcasm:

A ovie malkin kessel line might be the most entertaining in nhl history. The funny thing having to backcheck so much Malkin would either win the Selke or have a nervous breakdown.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not quite as "nonsensical" as you think. Go look at their ES production over the last 2 seasons:

#8: 46 ES goals, 90 ES points
81: 36 ES goals, 82 ES points

If you look at just last season:

#8: 16 ES goals, 43 ES points
81: 15 ES goals, 40 ES points

That doesn't scream "Ovechkin is better".

So Ovechkin is slightly better at ES and much better on the PP, is that what you're saying?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So Ovechkin is slightly better at ES and much better on the PP, is that what you're saying?

If you're going to brag about how one player is better than the other over a difference of 8 ES points in a 2 year span - go for it. But most will look at that and just see two good players with slightly different skillsets. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->