Rumor: Ovechkin looking for $12M/yr on next contract

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games

And your point is?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I feel sad that Ovie is already this age... I feel old when I say "I remember back in my day when Ovie was drafted..."

I cant see the Caps not giving Ovie whatever he wants, unless he wants that amount on a long term contract, which I doubt is the case. As has been stated, Ovie is the best player the Caps have ever had and is still scoring goals at a ridiculous pace.

Ya I came to this realization the other day... I was 13 when he got drafted!

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
It may not be a raise when accounting for inflation and the cap, but he has made so much money that "inflation" really doesn't mean anything for him.

But this article also says that he got royally screwed with escrow after the 2013 lockout, so maybe he's not as loaded as I imagine he is.

That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that Ovechkin is loaded, so I'm not sure why he feels it necessary to get a raise. I don't criticize him for wanting a raise because it's completely his right to ask for one, I would have just guessed he had enough money where he didn't really care about getting a raise.
Couldn’t you say that about most players looking for a new contract?
That they are loaded and it isn’t necessary to get a raise.
All professional athletes who have played more then a couple years are loaded. The money is being generated. It is either going in the owners pockets or the players..... or they share. Ovechkin has earned his share.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games

Ovechkin has won the Rocket for 3 years in a row.

9 times total.

7 OF THE LAST 8 SEASONS.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He has, you're right. And now you figure after those 15 years and still being an elite player, he doesn't deserve at least the same % of cap? This isn't Jagr in his final few laps, Ovechkin still has at least a few years of elite play in him. If he's looking for 6-8 years, then yes. Thats ridiculous. But to me 12m x 3-4 years is completely reasonable for a talent such as his.

Is Ovechkin still an elite player, or simply an elite goal scorer?

He had 529 points in his first 396 games, but over the last decade, he's slightly under a point-per-game with 749 points in 756 games...

The last time he had a 90+ season was 2010...

RSPens

May 25, 2015
My concern with this would be that he isn't getting any younger and if the team wants to compete, having that much tied to one player makes it very hard to fill out the roster. With today's cap hit, $12M is 14.8% of the cap. That is a huge percentage tied to one player.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Feels like $12 million would put Caps in a bit of a stranglehold. Not that it's Ovie's problem.

And over the last 200 games , Ovie has a Stanley Cup, and McDavid has an exit in a play-in round.

Reactions: Pitter Patter

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017

He had 529 points in his first 396 games, but over the last decade, he's slightly under a point-per-game with 749 points in 756 games...

Not all players are measured by the same attributes. I am in no way saying that Ovechkin is better than McDavid, or downplaying how good McDavid is, because he is obviously incredible. But yes, if you are an elite goal scorer, than yes, for all intents and purposes, you are an elite player. Not all elite players are fantastic goal scorers, not all all play makers, not all are great at a 200ft game, not all are the best leaders, some are grittier and more tenacious than others. Now obviously all these factors play into the contracts that are given out, but when it comes to a player like Ovi, who is essentially a living legend in the league, and his IS still producing at an elite level, and he has been the face of the caps for so long, how could you justify essentially giving him a pay cut? Its a good way to piss him off and lose him all together. I'm not saying to sign him for that kind of money into his mid forties, but for the short term, he is certainly worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Mugzy97

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Unless you value a goal at the same level as an assist being an elite goal scorer makes him an elite player. Particularly when he is not a one dimensional player.

As to the $12m. Believe any of this crap at your own peril. The last contract rumors had him ending up with the New York Rangers or Toronto. None of them had him signing a long term contract much less 13 years.

Last edited:

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Sometimes, teams have to agree to terms that aren't favorable for them. They do so for many reasons:

1) Short term benefits despite possible long term losses
2) The player wouldn't agree to sign them otherwise

Ovechkin is pretty much the best goal scorer the NHL has never known (even better than Gretzky iirc). Many articles written and posted on the NHL's website certify this. I have not taken him in fantasy this year and it is precisely why I lost. If he is able to deliver as he is currently for just half of the contract and starts experiencing regression after, I dare say it's still worth it.

You don't cheap out on a player like him. Being stingy isn't the way. You sign him to contend for a few years and acknowledge the regressions that come thereafter. There is not much 'negotiation' to be done. If caps won't agree to terms, another team will. Teams rise and fall. His years of regression can be classified as a 'rebuild' if the team is doing bad. That's not poor management.

When people speak of term, they need to reconsider.. I mean, he is the absolute best at what he does, teams -have- to give him leeway for negotiations on term.. because he's Ovechkin.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This won't be a hard sell for the Capitals. By the end of the likely term on his final contract, he won't be providing the Capitals full value on the deal. That's clear enough. Yet they won't exactly be competitive any longer either. They will be engaged in a rebuild by those years.

They realistically have about three good years to try and compete for a title, and then they will settle in to a rebuild. This isn't going to be a negotiation that GMBM really controls. Ovechkin will likely negotiate with Leonsis to finalize it. He's made the owner a ton of money over the years.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Ovechkin has his money and a Cup. He now seems fixated on 99's record. Would he take slightly less than market value to play with a guy like McDavid? That (probably) gives him a better chance of breaking it in less games than Gretzky, which would make the achievement all the more special.

Say he decides to take 3 years/30 million next summer. The Oilers could buy out a guy like Neal and trim up the rest of their roster to make it work while still fielding a competitive roster. From there, he'd need to score 895 in less than 335 games (which works out almost exactly to 4 82-game seasons). That's an average of 46 goals a season. He probably reaches that in 2020-21 without much trouble, but it's ages 38-40 where a combo of age, wear and tear, and any more pandemic-related issues may hurt him the most.

That's where McDavid comes in- join those two together at the hip and I think Ovechkin easily gets to 900, probably sometime around the halfway mark of the 2024 season. He can then either elect to retire at the end of his Oilers deal or head back to Washington on one last contract and take a shot at 1,000 while he's at it.

It's a fun storyline to think about- Gretzky in the stands to watch Ovechkin chasing 895 as an Oiler. Would love to see it.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

And in that same time OV has won the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe trophy. Ok your turn...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
And in that same time OV has won the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe trophy. Ok your turn...

Team accomplishments are irrelevant when discussing the value of individual players...

And Ovechkin wasn't even his team's leading scorer during those playoffs

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I mean... He kind of deserves it. As long as the term isn't crippling, no one should be too upset

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Big economic value too: in three seasons, Ovechkin will likely be in the hunt for most goals ever. This will sell a crap ton of tickets, even if the Caps are declining.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Team accomplishments are irrelevant when discussing the value of individual players...

And Ovechkin wasn't even his team's leading scorer during those playoffs
Jonathan Toews would like to have a word with you. When you are the greatest goal scorer of all time, captain and face of the team for coming on two decades by the end of his nxt contract, face of the NHL around the world and one of the biggest draws in the game It sure does matter.

Hell the Caps make more in OV jersey sales every year thn his contract. You have to keep in mind this is a business first. Washington has no problem overpaying their cash cow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad