Rumor: Ovechkin looking for $12M/yr on next contract

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll never criticize a player for asking for as much money as they can get, because showing "loyalty" counts for nothing because teams won't be as loyal to you as you are to them, but I'm a little surprised that he'd want a raise from $9.5 million after making enough money to retire for like 10 lifetimes.

I thought he'd be fine with just basically extending his current contract for a few more years, not ask for a 25% or so raise.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'll never criticize a player for asking for as much money as they can get, because showing "loyalty" counts for nothing because teams won't be as loyal to you as you are to them, but I'm a little surprised that he'd want a raise from $9.5 million after making enough money to retire for like 10 lifetimes.

I thought he'd be fine with just basically extending his current contract for a few more years, not ask for a 25% or so raise.

To be fair, he isn't really asking for a raise. Between inflation and the cap going up significantly over those 13 years, it's probably pretty similar to what he was getting.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

13 years ago, 9.5 wasn't Jeff Skinner money.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be fair, he isn't really asking for a raise. Between inflation and the cap going up significantly over those 13 years, it's probably pretty similar to what he was getting.

It may not be a raise when accounting for inflation and the cap, but he has made so much money that "inflation" really doesn't mean anything for him.

But this article also says that he got royally screwed with escrow after the 2013 lockout, so maybe he's not as loaded as I imagine he is.

13 years ago, 9.5 wasn't Jeff Skinner money.

That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that Ovechkin is loaded, so I'm not sure why he feels it necessary to get a raise. I don't criticize him for wanting a raise because it's completely his right to ask for one, I would have just guessed he had enough money where he didn't really care about getting a raise.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Eh, just pay him.

The only question you need to ask yourself is "how good of a team is Washington without Ovechkin?"

Answer: not so good. they would revert back to a middle of the pack team almost overnight

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It may not be a raise when accounting for inflation and the cap, but he has made so much money that "inflation" really doesn't mean anything for him.

But this article also says that he got royally screwed with escrow after the 2013 lockout, so maybe he's not as loaded as I imagine he is.

When u are worth 100m you see inflation eat up about 2-4m of your value a year, so it does matter to him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd give him the 12 but on the condition he sticks around to take a run at Gretzky record. Washington is screwed in the future anyway so why not get what you can out of him?

Ovie strikes me as the type of player that could have a Jagr-ish type progression into his 40s. His shot and already good puck protection skills make him ideal to play deep into his 30s and early 40s.

Hell you could probably put a 50 year old Ovie in his spot just for power players and he'd still probably pot 20 a season

Reactions: Morrison

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When u are worth 100m you see inflation eat up about 2-4m of your value a year, so it does matter to him.

In theory, he loses 2%-4% in spending power per year with his $100 million. But that only happens if he's actually spending that money.

Sure, his overall net value is hurt by inflation, but he probably has so much money that it won't make a difference to him. Not to mention that even mediocre investing has you yielding more than 2%-4% a year.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006

That's not the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that Ovechkin is loaded, so I'm not sure why he feels it necessary to get a raise. I don't criticize him for wanting a raise because it's completely his right to ask for one, I would have just guessed he had enough money where he didn't really care about getting a raise.
Oh he is. That Touch of Gray endorsement has really been paying off for the last 10 years

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's still an exceptional goal scorer but time has caught up to him in most other facets of the game. Will be interesting to see what the Caps do here. I wouldn't think they would want to spend that kind of $$$ on anything but a short term contract but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad