Rumor: Ovechkin looking for $12M/yr on next contract

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The same reason Kobe got his last contract, he literally made the team relevant for YEARS and YEARS and won championships. If someone is a generational franchise player and stays in your organization that long you take care of them.

Did he play for free up until this point in his career, or would it be fair to say that the Capitals have, in fact, taken care of him?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Ovechkin is great, but is he really worth a 2.5 mil pay raise going towards the end of his career? Why not ask for less, so the Caps can try and stay competitive. Ovy is getting older and Backstrom is nearing being done as a main scoring threat, and then they will have to look to rebuilding, which isn't far off right now. Backstrom is already showing big signs of slowing down which makes it that much harder for the Caps as a team to stay among the top.

Washington isn't rebuilding for at least half a decade...

Willson has 4 years remaining, Kuz, Backstrom, and Oshie have 5 years left, and Carlsson has 6...

Washington Capitals - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
35+ cap hits no longer stay on the books, so the risk of retirement is mitigated.

Sort of, it depends on the structure of the 35+ contract. The contract can’t decrease year to year and can’t have signing bonuses beyond year 1 to avoid the 35+ clause.

In other words, no front loading and no signing bonuses in year 2+.

Reactions: Korg

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games
Nobody cares about random McButter stats in an Ovie thread, stats that have absolutely nothing to do with the original OP.

Get out of here with this

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's tough with a player like this in the back 9 of his career. You can't really walk away, from either an on-ice or from a marketing perspective, but you know giving him whatever he wants will hinder the remaining window for the team. You can probably bite the bullet on 12 for Ovechkin if he stays near his current level, as it's not as if lots of teams don't have guys making a little too much, but I don't see how you can give him term on that.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
37M for 3 forwards and 1 defenseman aged 29-36, what could go wrong there?

I could maybe see something like
12M
12M
9M
6M
6M
5yr/45M
9M cap hit

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Washington isn't rebuilding for at least half a decade...

Willson has 4 years remaining, Kuz, Backstrom, and Oshie have 5 years left, and Carlsson has 6...

Washington Capitals - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

When your top driving players retire or slow down you are going towards rebuild. Oshie and Wilson are secondary pieces, not bus drivers. When Ovy is gone, the Caps will feel it massively unless they get lucky in an upcoming draft or something. With a healthy Ovechkin this team already got eliminated in Round 1, just 2 years after a Cup win, and were knocked out in the 1st round the year before. Ovy alone being gone means the Caps are in serious trouble.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Washington has $23.2MM in cap space for the 2021-22 season. They still need atleast 2 top 4 D-men for the 2020-21 season. Take those into account and they have ~$15MM in space for 2021-22. Then they need to resign Samsonov, who is RFA, and Vrana, who is also RFA. Samsonov is coming off his ELC so probably ~$3MM per year and Vrana will probably get ~$6MM a year, leaving the Caps with $6MM in cap space, which Ovechin wants double of, based on rumor.

If he wants $12mm a season, there is only 2 places he can get it; another team or Mother Russia

Actually not. It would mean that they give the man what he wants first for carrying this franchise over a decade. Only after then you start fitting in the other pieces of the puzzle. Guy like Vrana, as good as he is would be traded within a second if he was standing in the way of Ovechkin staying in Washington.

That being said, rmnb as a valid source? Yikes.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Makes complete sense for Ovy to go for money. Doesn't mean I didn't HOPE he'd go out like Selänne with one year deals to beat Gretzky's record.

Last edited:

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
And he's been compensated well for that...

He has, you're right. And now you figure after those 15 years and still being an elite player, he doesn't deserve at least the same % of cap? This isn't Jagr in his final few laps, Ovechkin still has at least a few years of elite play in him. If he's looking for 6-8 years, then yes. Thats ridiculous. But to me 12m x 3-4 years is completely reasonable for a talent such as his.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If this is true,..yeah..Capitals are so gonna walk away from that contract.
they are gonna offer 1 digit contract, not 2.

There is no effing way no one is worth that much money after 16 seasons in the NHL
Ovie or not, this is not the NFL, MLB, nor the NBA.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
So he is finally getting what he really deserves to get? One of the best goal scores in NHL and seeing what some of the other contracts being dished out in NHL, this seems quite reasonable. The only thing is what is the term he wants for this? He is the most important player on the Caps so they should definitely pay that money to him and they will not be the same team without him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'll never criticize a player for asking for as much money as they can get, because showing "loyalty" counts for nothing because teams won't be as loyal to you as you are to them, but I'm a little surprised that he'd want a raise from $9.5 million after making enough money to retire for like 10 lifetimes.

I thought he'd be fine with just basically extending his current contract for a few more years, not ask for a 25% or so raise.
His agent would be driving this bus...and he knows the Caps have to give in...Ovi is still an amzaing player, but the term will be the key and not the $$$
Stay tuned.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I say hand it to him. Best Capital ever and has done more than that team than any Capital ever has.

& probably ever will.... The guy is a legend & still produces at elite level.

I remember when I was a teen, I hated him because I loved Crosby (lol). I still prefer Crosby but Ovy is amazing.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games
Sweet man, OV is due for a raise after that mega long contract. and he will get it even if Caps dont want to pay.
McDavid should be out producing OV anyways, and thats not much of a point difference given the age difference.
OV EASILY worth his asking price.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

Ok. So

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
there's 3 ways to spell to/too/two, 2 would have worked somewhat, one does not, guess which one you chose.
Sorry grammar police. Did not see that typo. You're so cool and wise. Now go back to the black hole in which you came from...

In fact, if you want to get real technical on a sports fourm, your last message consists of faulty subject-verb use and also improper formatting. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
I feel sad that Ovie is already this age... I feel old when I say "I remember back in my day when Ovie was drafted..."

I cant see the Caps not giving Ovie whatever he wants, unless he wants that amount on a long term contract, which I doubt is the case. As has been stated, Ovie is the best player the Caps have ever had and is still scoring goals at a ridiculous pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad