Rumor: Ovechkin looking for $12M/yr on next contract

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'll never criticize a player for asking for as much money as they can get, because showing "loyalty" counts for nothing because teams won't be as loyal to you as you are to them, but I'm a little surprised that he'd want a raise from $9.5 million after making enough money to retire for like 10 lifetimes.

I thought he'd be fine with just basically extending his current contract for a few more years, not ask for a 25% or so raise.

I know your a Pens fan and even though I don't like Crosby for my own reasons, I respect him for money not being so much important to him. Crosby makes $8.7 million per season(the number matches his jersey number obviously) that allows the team to sign other players to prolong the team in staying successful. I would like to see OV do something similar, like $8 million per season for 5 more years.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Pay that man his money!

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 2

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games
What's the point of this? Ovechkin is a goal scorer that just won the cup and has carried Washington for over 10 years.

Reactions: Njfj

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Very conflicting as a Caps fan, where Ovi is my favourite player. He 200% deserves $12m or whatever he wants, but $12m for any length of a contract is just going to ruin the last couple years of competitiveness that the Caps have left.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
What's the point of this? Ovechkin is a goal scorer that just won the cup and has carried Washington for over 10 years.

You know exactly what the relevance is...

On the other hand, what does it matter what Ovechkin did over the last decade? Players should be paid for what they will do, not for what they've done...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't know how you can't give Ovi whatever he wants, I also don't know how you build a competitive team with Ovi and Backstrom in the back half of their careers at 20M+

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You know exactly what the relevance is...

On the other hand, what does it matter what Ovechkin did over the last decade? Players should be paid for what they will do, not for what they've done...
The same reason Kobe got his last contract, he literally made the team relevant for YEARS and YEARS and won championships. If someone is a generational franchise player and stays in your organization that long you take care of them.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
That was it...

Nothing more needed to be said

So you are insinuating that because McDavid scores on average about 1/3 more of a point per game, he is by default deemed more worthy of a higher total percentage of the team cap hit? Dude has been a warrior for 15 years, and is essentially a lock for at least top 3 all time goalscorer if not higher, and is still arguably the most lethal sniper in the league. I think its fair that he ask for the same percentage of the cap that he has earned forthelast 13 years. Term is another question all together though, that is for sure.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
It’s Ovi lol give him 12 and he’ll probably come off that contract with a legit reason to make 14 on the next. Man is an absolute machine.

But on a serious note, I could see him getting 3x11 or like 4x10.5 or something like that. He should start slowly declining from now on but who knows with this guy. I think he could legitimately play until 40 at a reasonably high level.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know how you can't give Ovi whatever he wants, I also don't know how you build a competitive team with Ovi and Backstrom in the back half of their careers at 20M+

That's kind of the double edged sword with franchise guys like Ovi (and Crosby and Malkin). You kind of have to just give them whatever they want because of all the good they did for your organization when they were in their prime.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Ovechkin has 243 points in his last 231 games (1.05 PPG), which works out to 86 points per 82 games

McDavid has 321 points in his last games 224 games (1.43 PPG), which works out to 117 points per 82 games

So, over the last 3 seasons, McDavid has out-scored Ovechkin by 31 points per 82 games
In the last three years, Alex Ovechkin has one Stanley Cup and Ronald McDonald has one playoff appearance.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
It's fine. His mom is his agent and his mom understands the situation. All on momma.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This would all but guarantee the Caps close out the Ovi era with one cup.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ovechkin is great, but is he really worth a 2.5 mil pay raise going towards the end of his career? Why not ask for less, so the Caps can try and stay competitive. Ovy is getting older and Backstrom is nearing being done as a main scoring threat, and then they will have to look to rebuilding, which isn't far off right now. Backstrom is already showing big signs of slowing down which makes it that much harder for the Caps as a team to stay among the top.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
If Washington isn’t looking to pay Ovechkin at 12mil, then he could always go to the open market too see what his worth is.

Half the teams in the NHL would probably bid on his services if Ovechkin ever became available on the open market. Who wouldn’t want a 40-50 goal scorer or a 70-80 close to 90 point sure fire hall of famer who would bring in interest and TV time to whoever he signs with that’s also chasing the all time goal scoring record.

I can’t imagine Ovechkin breaking the great Gretzky record on a different team.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
In the last three years, Alex Ovechkin has one Stanley Cup and Ronald McDonald has one playoff appearance.

now look at the names on our roster past Drai and then look at yours.

Ovi deserves and has earned 12 mill. Weird position to be in though. Part of me wants to see the world burn and see him test FA.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So you are insinuating that because McDavid scores on average about 1/3 more of a point per game, he is by default deemed more worthy of a higher total percentage of the team cap hit? Dude has been a warrior for 15 years, and is essentially a lock for at least top 3 all time goalscorer if not higher, and is still arguably the most lethal sniper in the league. I think its fair that he ask for the same percentage of the cap that he has earned forthelast 13 years. Term is another question all together though, that is for sure.

And he's been compensated well for that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad