Ovechkin guarantees game 7 win vs NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
That's the best answer you could give.

If an interviewer asked "what are your thoughts about this game," the best answer would be, "we will win."

Other possible answers are:

"We might win."

"Maybe."

"It's possible."

"I'm not sure."

"I don't think we will win."

"We're going to lose."

Not at all.

He could say something like "I really like our chances. We have a great group of guys who have the utmost faith and each other, and we're confident we can go into New York and take that 7th game. If we play the game we know we're capable of playing, we will be facing Tampa or Montreal in the next round, however, it's up to us to execute."

That's literally the same thing without all the guarantees and without a snide, arrogant attitude involved. You and so many others are acting like the only way to act confident and feel strongly about success is to say what he said in a very black and white way, but that just isn't the case. He could say exactly what I said, and I doubt anybody would really care.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Not at all.

He could say something like "I really like our chances. We have a great group of guys who have the utmost faith and each other, and we're confident we can go into New York and take that 7th game. If we play the game we know we're capable of playing, we will be facing Tampa or Montreal in the next round, however, it's up to us to execute."

That's literally the same thing without all the guarantees and without a snide, arrogant attitude involved. You and so many others are acting like the only way to act confident and feel strongly about success is to say what he said in a very black and white way, but that just isn't the case. He could say exactly what I said, and I doubt anybody would really care.

"I really like our chances"

This is the quote equivalent of a limp handshake.

It's not up to chance, it's on the backs of the players and at least one is willfully accepting that.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Not at all.

You are the reason hockey players cannot have any personality.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Guarantees and promises are cute. They are also indicators of desperation and frustration, which is how I read into what he said, especially given the context and his demeanor. He sounded dejected and depressed when he said it. It's an obvious attempt to pump himself and his team up for game 7. Good on him, that's what a leader should try to do. Messier did the same thing based on desperation. In his case, it worked out swimmingly.

The only thing that matters though is what they do on the ice.

Go Rangers.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I like what Ovie did. Good for him. He's being a captain and motivating his team. The only player left in the league that speaks his mind.

May 23, 2012
Guarantees and promises are cute. They are also indicators of desperation and frustration, which is how I read into what he said, especially given the context and his demeanor. He sounded dejected and depressed when he said it. It's an obvious attempt to pump himself and his team up for game 7. Good on him, that's what a leader should try to do. Messier did the same thing based on desperation. In his case, it worked out swimmingly.

The only thing that matters though is what they do on the ice.

Go Rangers.

I've always said that people who give out guarantees are really trying to convince THEMSELVES that "everything is going to be ok".

The problem i have with this guarantee is why not give it out before game 5? If you're "guaranteed" to win the series, why are you not putting these guys away early, they could have won this in 5 and been resting and suntanning and waiting for the next round.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I've always said that people who give out guarantees are really trying to convince THEMSELVES that "everything is going to be ok".

The problem i have with this guarantee is why not give it out before game 5? If you're "guaranteed" to win the series, why are you not putting these guys away early, they could have won this in 5 and been resting and suntanning and waiting for the next round.

I think it's because despite winning, the Caps have truly been searching for a way to be "successful" against the Rangers. It seemed that in the second half of the game they found something they could build on. In other games they've just kinda been clinging on for the ride and capitalizing on some opportunities.

Is it something real, or is it simply a product of a 4-1 3rd period lead for the Rangers? We'll see tonight.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Not at all.

Let us know when you can say that in Russian, and still sound as determined as Ovie did, after a tough loss.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
TBH I have really hated this series. I hate playing the Capitals, I hate that the Rangers always have to play them, and I hate that the Rangers ever even let the Caps go up 3-1, regardless of referee help. I just want to throw up every time we have to play the Caps. Just tired of this match up and the drama every single time.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010

Good point. Further re-affirms the desperation aspect of this guarantee. His last guarantee ("all series baby") kinda backfired on him. Hopefully this one will too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
For certain the league loves this.

Game 7. Caps vs Rangers. Bold public statement by a super star player.

I would expect this to be the highest rated televised game this season.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Good point. Further re-affirms the desperation aspect of this guarantee. His last guarantee ("all series baby") kinda backfired on him. Hopefully this one will too.

How did His all series baby quote backfire. He has played good despite not scoring after his first 2. How did this quote bite him back? This wouldn't be a topic of conversation had game 5 been ended in regulation (but it didn't). If anything, backstrom saying this and his play would warrant more backfire.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Media/fans are so hypocritical.

"we're tired of cookie cutter personalities/responses."

*non-cookie cutter response*

"BURN IT WITH FIRE!"

I can understand the outcry if the guy went all Old Testament and said he was going to go in, win, burn MSG to the ground, and then ride the Statue of Liberty out of the state Ghostbusters 2 style (although if he said this I think I may love him more). But he didn't, instead he said the second most benign thing ever and because it wasn't THE most benign thing but rather the second he gets ripped to shreds.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
LOL at the responses to the "All Series Long", further proof that the majority of Hfboards posters have never wandered from their couches into an atheletic competition.

#1 that was made on the ice, not to the media, guaranteeing that everyone on the ice says that type of stuff
#2 "all series long" is more of an indication of the team "bringing it" then a put down on the Rangers or Lundy, I would argue the Caps have brought it all series long, and so have the Rangers, hence game 7
#3 If you pearl clutchers would actually hear the real trash talk I feel like your monocles would fall into your martini's with shock. That's perhaps the softest trash talk ever

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
For certain the league loves this.

Game 7. Caps vs Rangers. Bold public statement by a super star player.

I would expect this to be the highest rated televised game this season.

Maybe the league told Ov that it is to go to game 7 and to say those quotes to taunt the mob. Nhl rigging games to get another game 7, conspiracy :sarcasm:

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
Not at all.

Actually, that would be a complete non-answer. Which is fine, I don't have a problem with hockey players evading questions. But that's exactly what that is.

Elvis Presley

Aka #30
Apr 14, 2009
brooklyn
"I really like our chances"

This is the quote equivalent of a limp handshake.

It's not up to chance, it's on the backs of the players and at least one is willfully accepting that.

I agree. Everyone is blowing this out of proportion, trying to create a Messier-esque vibe. It's not.

Also, that handshake is what we call giving someone 'the dead fish'.
= :D:yo::nod:

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Silly to give your opponents more motivation.

In the end, though, none of it even matters. Just like last year, all this game is about is determining who's going to come in 2nd for the Stanley Cup.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Silly to give your opponents more motivation.

In the end, though, none of it even matters. Just like last year, all this game is about is determining who's going to come in 2nd for the Stanley Cup.

More motivation? It's game 7, if the Rangers needed more motivation then they've got significant issues.

These excuses for why this was "bad" are getting worse and worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad