Ovechkin guarantees game 7 win vs NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ovechkin hype has clearly calmed down after the crazy goal.. 0 points in the last 4 games.

So in that sense he's awfully confident they win 100% if your best player is in a bit of a slump :laugh:

But yeah i know what he's trying to do. Backlund guaranteeing a win in Calgary is one thing, and doesn't matter, but when Ovechkin says something like this it does have an affect. Most likely just adds some unnecessary pressure.

Then again it's not like the Caps lose because of what Ovechkin says to the media.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There has been a lot of comments like this, definitely shows a sign that mentally Washington took a hit yesterday. They need to hear stuff like this thats why they are saying them.

Its a bit risky because if they go to NYR and get a rough start, maybe a early goal for NY or something, all this tention that has been built up could hurt them a lot. OTOH, if they go to NYR and score early -- it could turn in their favor.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
There has been a lot of comments like this, definitely shows a sign that mentally Washington took a hit yesterday. They need to hear stuff like this thats why they are saying them.

Its a bit risky because if they go to NYR and get a rough start, maybe a early goal for NY or something, all this tention that has been built up could hurt them a lot. OTOH, if they go to NYR and score early -- it could turn in their favor.

Agreed. But at this point where it is all or nothing in MSG, he has to say something. Caps need the first goal. I think the caps only scored first in 2 games if i'm not mistaken in series 1, and the Rangers have gotten on the board early at least twice. Hopefully this is the year he can at least make it to the ECF by putting his money where his mouth is.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I mean...he didn't even use the word guarantee, but headlines gotta get that click bait I guess. NOTE: not the OP's headline, but I read an article on ESPN that had this title, and by the end of the article it even admitted Ovechkin's talk was much more muted than Messier's guarantees.

Ovechkin said:
"We're going to come back and win the series," Ovechkin told reporters after a 4-3 loss in Game 6 on Sunday night. "We're going to play our game, and we're going to come back and we're going to play Montreal or Tampa."

He just said the team will win. I never think this kind of talk is stupid (see Flames player who did something similar). What are these guys supposed to say, "I'm really nervous about losing this game, I don't think we have much of a chance unless we play really well and the other team makes a lot of mistakes."

He definitely needs to score though. There's no mistaking that. Hank's been fantastic against Ovechkin in particular.

LongsufferingRangerf

Apr 7, 2015
Someone have the full quote?

“We’re going to come back and win the series,†he said. “We’re going to play our game, and we’re going to come back and we’re going to play Montreal or Tampa.â€

Ovechkin said. “You can see, they don’t want to play that game. We knew that. Obviously as soon as we put the puck deep, hit their D, they afraid, because we big, we strong and you can see how we score goals.â€

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...8cc7a6-f699-11e4-84a6-6d7c67c50db0_story.html

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Isn't this what he supposed to do?

This whole Messier guarantee stuff is so over-hyped. (Yes, the man put the entire team on his back and played one of the best games by an individual ever in the NHL...and I'm not trying to devalue his performance by any means...)

But, isn't that what the captain is supposed to do?

In 2003, what if Scott Stevens guaranteed a win in game 7 over the Ducks? Would we be fawning over it?

I know I wouldn't.

I don't get the gushing over someone doing what they are supposed to do (get his team and fan based pumped up)

I wonder if McDonagh is gonna do the same.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Ovechkin and Backstrom are two Captains of Washington chokers, Ovechkin should shut up and do something productive on the ice

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
As a Rangers fan, I think this is exactly what he should be saying. Okay, that comment about our d could be taken the wrong way by some, but his english isn't the greatest. He doesn't literally mean the Rangers d-men are afraid. The Rangers D have had trouble all year when facing a tough forecheck and have struggled to clear the zone. The comment is on point, just poorly worded.

He is the leader on that team and has to appear confident. I think we'll edge it out, but you can hadly blame a guy for expressing faith in his team.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Title is misleading, he's just doing what any captain should. Guy can't win with some people.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hopefully Ovechkin puts his money where his mouth is and plays a good game getting Washington the win. He's been the Ovie of 2010-2012 this series.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Ovechkin is developing the reputation as a regular season superstar, playoff dud. Which is stunning, given his rugged physique and fearless attitude -- he seems like he was designed for the playoffs. But his track record in the playoffs so far has been brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad