Ovechkin guarantees game 7 win vs NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Nothing wrong with the guy thinking they are going to win even if it comes off sounding somewhat Dbag-ish when adding the "they are afraid" comment, but what's up with the people saying it wasn't a guarantee?

I mean "we will win and move on to Tampa or Montreal" is actually literally saying "we will win" not sure how much more obvious or literal it needs to be.

Money back guarantee maybe?

JA

That's the best answer you could give.

If an interviewer asked "what are your thoughts about this game," the best answer would be, "we will win."

Other possible answers are:

"We might win."

"Maybe."

"It's possible."

"I'm not sure."

"I don't think we will win."

"We're going to lose."

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
The Rangers have found out over the last couple games that puck luck eventually evens out to an extent. They've gotten a TON of bounces to make up for those they didn't get in the 1st half of the series.

However....bounces will even out for #8

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/05/12/three-reasons-why-the-caps-will-make-good-on-alex-ovechkins-game-7-guarantee/

Alex Ovechkin has been tough to stop

The Rangers have kept Ovechkin off the score sheet but they have not been able to keep him from generating shots on goal. In this series, the superstar winger has 44 shot attempts and 22 scoring chances at even strength, far and away the most in this series.

During the regular season, Ovechkin converted on 25 of his 103 even-strength scoring chances (25.3 percent). In this series he is 1 for 22 (4.5 percent). If the Blueshirts’ luck runs out at the most inopportune time, we could see the Great 8 back up his guarantee of a Game 7 win.
I think conflating it with luck is being a bit unfair TBH. We've seen that playoff hockey (at least this year) has greatly slowed down pacing so far, and has made goals few and far to come by. There's simply less space for Ovi to play his game. If we want to use regular season stats to attempt to determine the outcome of the game, the argument could be made that the Rangers offense is superior due to their deeper forwards corps. Also, Girardi and McDonagh are not league average D men and have been able to stifle him in the past.

Now does his guarantee give him extra motivation? Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored two goals tomorrow. But I also think it's just as likely he has trouble in G7.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
“@ChuckGormleyCSN: Ovechkin on his 'guarantee' after Gm 6: 'Like I said, we're going to New York and finish out the series. That's what I mean.' #CapitalsTalkâ€

Well there you go, he took back his guarantee and all is well again in the world.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Does saying "we are going to win this game" which any athlete would say in the circumstances, if asked, constitute a guarantee? The two don't seem synonymous to me.

I'm of the opinion that it does constitute a guarantee. Think about it, most hockey players when asked that particular question are more likely to give the "hockey player answer."

"Yeah, well it's going to be a battle out there. We're gonna go in and give 100%. It's been a tough series, I don't expect game 7 to be any different. We're gonna be ready."

Something like that. Saying words without really answering the question.

Now, he didn't point at the camera and proclaim victory Macho Man-style, but he could've dodged the question and didn't.

Hell, even in Messier's guarantee back in '94, he never used the word 'guarantee.'

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
“@ChuckGormleyCSN: Ovechkin on his 'guarantee' after Gm 6: 'Like I said, we're going to New York and finish out the series. That's what I mean.' #CapitalsTalkâ€

Well there you go, he took back his guarantee and all is well again in the world.

He should've stood his ground. Obviously he's annoyed by the stupid media modifying his words.
If I were him, I would've reiterated the initial statement, but this time including the word "guaranteed".

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Seems you're more confident than Ovi is. :sarcasm:

I'm not sure that they will win, but it's a mental game. Being confident helps you achieve great things, and that's what I want the captain of my team to be.

Messier was a confident guy too. He believed in his and his teammates' abilities.

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
“We’re getting ready for a game,†Vigneault added. “We understand the preparation, the individual preparation and the team preparation that goes into this. We need to let our actions do the talking and that’s what we’re focused on.â€
Saw this on the Rangers board. Gotta think that's a dig by AV. Like this a lot as a Ranger fan.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think conflating it with luck is being a bit unfair TBH. We've seen that playoff hockey (at least this year) has greatly slowed down pacing so far, and has made goals few and far to come by. There's simply less space for Ovi to play his game. If we want to use regular season stats to attempt to determine the outcome of the game, the argument could be made that the Rangers offense is superior due to their deeper forwards corps. Also, Girardi and McDonagh are not league average D men and have been able to stifle him in the past.

Now does his guarantee give him extra motivation? Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored two goals tomorrow. But I also think it's just as likely he has trouble in G7.

These are scoring chances, though. While they're not all created equal, it's not like he's taking shots from the blueline. A scoring chance is generally a shot from within very high percentage areas, which means that, no matter how well Girardi and McDonagh are playing, an elite offensive player (or anyone above a 4th liner) should be converting at well above a 5% rate.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Neither this nor Backlund's quote constituted a guarantee, in my opinion. If they are, then it waters down the concept of guaranteeing a victory. Truth is, athletes are trained to think this way. You don't try to score, you go out and you score. You don't try to win, you go out and win. Players are asked to relate their thoughts in interviews, and Backlund and Ovechkin were both thinking at the time that they were going to go out and win their next game. That's all this is.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm not sure that they will win, but it's a mental game. Being confident helps you achieve great things, and that's what I want the captain of my team to be.

Messier was a confident guy too. He believed in his and his teammates' abilities.

Yeah, but at that point Messier had won 5 cups already. I think it does a lot for a players confidence when he knows for a fact that he can get the job done.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
As a Rangers fan I want the boys to make him eat his words. As a fan of Ovechkin, the most electrifying athlete in sports entertainment, if the Caps win I will be rooting for Ovi to bring the Cup back over the river to Mother Russia

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The Rangers have found out over the last couple games that puck luck eventually evens out to an extent. They've gotten a TON of bounces to make up for those they didn't get in the 1st half of the series.

However....bounces will even out for #8

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/05/12/three-reasons-why-the-caps-will-make-good-on-alex-ovechkins-game-7-guarantee/

Alex Ovechkin has been tough to stop

The Rangers have kept Ovechkin off the score sheet but they have not been able to keep him from generating shots on goal. In this series, the superstar winger has 44 shot attempts and 22 scoring chances at even strength, far and away the most in this series.

During the regular season, Ovechkin converted on 25 of his 103 even-strength scoring chances (25.3 percent). In this series he is 1 for 22 (4.5 percent). If the Blueshirts’ luck runs out at the most inopportune time, we could see the Great 8 back up his guarantee of a Game 7 win.

Holtby had one bad game 7. 2013 vs the Rangers. He was outstanding in 2012 vs the Bs and ok ve the Rangers that year. He won game 7 vs the Isles and only gave up that 1 goal. Outside of 2013 vs the Rangers he has given up a total of 4 goals in 3 games + 1.5 OTs.

Caps as a team have not been good in game 7s I'll give you that.

It's not luck, it's both teams playing shutdown playoff hockey. The NYR offense was third in the league all year, ahead of the Caps. By that logic, one could say if the Caps luck runs out and NYR start scoring they way they did over 82 games, AO will look bad and lose.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
that is exactly what we need from Ovi tomorrow ... a shot like Stamkos just delivered against the Habs

back up your words Ovi ... shut everybody up

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Caps won't win this game if the Rangers spot them two goals.

Lundqvist at home in a game seven, or any game seven, is insanely good. Capitals don't have a prayer.

I love Ovechkin, he and Kane are the most exciting players in the NHL, but if they lose tomorrow 48hrs later he is on a plane back to Russia, or Prague, and none of what he "guaranteed" will matter.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
I don't understand what all the controversy is about. What do you expect him to say, "Maybe we will win and face Tampa or Montreal."? Of course not, he's the captain and he's trying to fire his team up, people will find any excuse to hate on him. When it comes to Ovechkin, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The Caps won't win this game if the Rangers spot them two goals.

Lundqvist at home in a game seven, or any game seven, is insanely good. Capitals don't have a prayer.

I love Ovechkin, he and Kane are the most exciting players in the NHL, but if they lose tomorrow 48hrs later he is on a plane back to Russia, or Prague, and none of what he "guaranteed" will matter.

Says the guy who predicted the Rangers in what, 5?

I'd simmer the **** down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad